Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Pamela Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:06:36 PM(UTC)
Pamela

Groups: Registered

Has anyone ever tryed cutting the mats square so you can use all four sides instead of just two?
scrapalette Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:06:06 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 8556 post(s)
You really don't need to cut them. If you're using your Cricut as a stand alone, you can move the blade to where you want it to cut. If you're using it with one of the design programs {CCR, DS or Gypsy}, place your images on the virtual mat where you want them to cut.

monianne Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:05:46 PM(UTC)
monianne

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Quote:
You really don't need to cut them. If you're using your Cricut as a stand alone, you can move the blade to where you want it to cut. If you're using it with one of the design programs {CCR, DS or Gypsy}, place your images on the virtual mat where you want them to cut.

I don't think this is the reason the question was asked....the reason is most likely because the edge of the mat that is feed into the machine warps after a while. By cutting the mat you would possibly give the mat two other sides to feed into the machine, and therefore be able to give the mat a longer life span.

I haven't done this OP, however, I am also curious if this would work as well.
scrapalette Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:49:28 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 8556 post(s)
I think the lead edge that feeds into the Cricut, needs the extra length to allow it to be pulled in correctly.

But it certainly can be tried.
CricketCMV Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:49:54 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8174 time(s) in 4793 post(s)
The oldest mat I have curled on the edges after a few years. I cut off just enough to lay that mat down flat........and, I still use the mat successfully in my Expression (12X12).

However, I wouldn't cut off very much of it....I do think it's a good thing there's not much wiggle room between the guide, the mat and the other side of the machine. Too much play there and you're not going to have a mat staying where it should (IMHO).

I have never had another mat curl up like that first one did. I was making sure it hit that right guide everytime I loaded the mat into the machine (when I first started using my Expression). Later on, I realized it's better NOT to butt it right up against that right guide....now, I just put even pressure FORWARD as the mat loads (with my hand in the center of the mat and pushing forward). This keeps the mat off the right guide and it also keeps it off the left edge of the machine as it goes into the machine. Now, neither side of my mats ever touch where the mats can curl up.

Char

1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.