Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MaryStillman Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:55:43 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1258 time(s) in 797 post(s)
Calmom posted the topic "Who has a Gypsy."

How about sharing what your dream gypsy would be if PC came out with a new one. Post what features you would like to see, size, your spending range, etc.

I would love all of the current features, plus a bigger screen, the ability to design layers in colors. The ability to hook up to a computer and design on the gypsy using your computer, some kind of an interface.

Depending on the features, I would probably pay between $100 and $500. I would also be willing to pay for some outstanding updates to the software, not just content update. An outstanding update maybe the ability to draw an open line, or score lines.

What's your dream gypsy?

Mary
FootballMom Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:47:05 PM(UTC)
FootballMom

Was thanked: 517 time(s) in 411 post(s)
I would like to be able to layer in color, but most of all I really love my Gypsy the way it is and just wish they wouldn't stop producing the one thing that they got right.
 2 users thanked FootballMom for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 4/18/2013(UTC), MaryStillman on 4/20/2013(UTC)
bethdoc Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:57:21 PM(UTC)
bethdoc

United States

Was thanked: 1195 time(s) in 806 post(s)
After getting the ipad 3 with the retina display, my dream gypsy is an ipad app. It would be super fast because apple's processor is fast, easily updated as an app, and the retina display graphics would be superb. Nice touchscreen, so you wouldn't have to use a mouse, etc. Since there is no hardware to design, develop, etc., the cost would not be too bad. I don't know if something as involved as a gypsy would work as an app, but it would be nice.
The downside is everyone would need an ipad to have a gypsy. But at least you could trust the hardware would be quality. And I guess they would have to sell a cable to link it to the cricut somehow. If you really want to keep it more portable, you can put it on an iphone or ipad mini.
I've actually been very happy with the gypsy the way it is. It would be nice if the processor was faster, the search feature can take a while sometimes, and loading the carts, too.
 2 users thanked bethdoc for this useful post.
~CinnamonSpice~ on 4/19/2013(UTC), MaryStillman on 4/20/2013(UTC)
JustJudi Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:08:38 PM(UTC)
JustJudi

Was thanked: 1237 time(s) in 698 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bethdoc Go to Quoted Post
After getting the ipad 3 with the retina display, my dream gypsy is an ipad app. It would be super fast because apple's processor is fast, easily updated as an app, and the retina display graphics would be superb. Nice touchscreen, so you wouldn't have to use a mouse, etc. Since there is no hardware to design, develop, etc., the cost would not be too bad. I don't know if something as involved as a gypsy would work as an app, but it would be nice.
The downside is everyone would need an ipad to have a gypsy. But at least you could trust the hardware would be quality. And I guess they would have to sell a cable to link it to the cricut somehow. If you really want to keep it more portable, you can put it on an iphone or ipad mini.
I've actually been very happy with the gypsy the way it is. It would be nice if the processor was faster, the search feature can take a while sometimes, and loading the carts, too.

I was going to say this! I agree!
 1 user thanked JustJudi for this useful post.
MaryStillman on 4/20/2013(UTC)
Scrapperdee Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:55:21 PM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Canada

Was thanked: 4222 time(s) in 2420 post(s)
My dream gypsy has more power so that its very fast.

Must be stand-alone - meaning not be attached to the internet to use.

IT MUST USE the same program as the gypsy and NOT use CCR

Edited by user Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:56:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users thanked Scrapperdee for this useful post.
BJR on 4/19/2013(UTC), MaryStillman on 4/20/2013(UTC), bethdoc on 4/21/2013(UTC)
MarleneH Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:42:28 PM(UTC)
MarleneH

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Same as the Gypsy now but a bigger screen for my older eyes...
 3 users thanked MarleneH for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 4/18/2013(UTC), BJR on 4/19/2013(UTC), MaryStillman on 4/20/2013(UTC)
melodylanedesigns Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:30:51 AM(UTC)
melodylanedesigns

Was thanked: 1973 time(s) in 972 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scrapperdee Go to Quoted Post

I would rather it be the same as ccr. They can't make us all happy. With the Gypsy I think there are more steps, and I always had to look up how to do things with it, with ccr I learned really fast and made more sense to me.

I would also like an app but an android app.

But I never use my gypsy so I don't think I would buy another one. I would love a CCR App.
 1 user thanked melodylanedesigns for this useful post.
BJR Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:44:49 AM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
I would want now- a Gypsy that would have a repair service in case it would fail, should have a standalone option like CDS- I do not have computer acceess anywhere else. In other words real support even after it disappears from the store. Consistent answers from tech support on how often it would need to be started up to keep in use etc. Just my dream. BJR.
 1 user thanked BJR for this useful post.
nightmare/fan Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:45:58 AM(UTC)
nightmare/fan

United States

Was thanked: 265 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Just larger would be great for me! I love the Gypsy! I wouldn't mind if it was like CCR, but it would need to be portable and not internet dependent!
Jeanne
 1 user thanked nightmare/fan for this useful post.
GracefulGrammar Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:50:31 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 2044 time(s) in 993 post(s)
At this moment in time, I wouldn't spend the $$$ to buy another pricey machine from PC because of past history. I would be willing to purchase an IPad app that would allow me to design on the go and then transfer those files to CCR/gypsy for cutting at a later time. An option like this would mean that no hardware, cables, wireless adapters would be needed. Expense would be kept to a minimum.

The app would have to be competitive with other cutting softwares for me to consider purchasing it. It would have to include the basic functions other cutting softwares do; such as, alignment tools and one-click shadowing.

Android or apple would work for me. Depending on the features, I would be willing a pay a max of $50 given that upgrades and updates were free and that PC made a commitment to have new carts available to the app within 24 hours after a new cart has been announced.

Edited by user Friday, April 19, 2013 8:51:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typos

2 users thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
MaryStillman on 4/20/2013(UTC), bethdoc on 4/21/2013(UTC)
TammyPuckett Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:59:55 AM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 222 post(s)
I would like to see one atleast the size of a Nook Tablet or bigger that does not require internet access. I have had my G for about 3 years & baby it to make it last longer. It is nice to see though that PC can now repair our G's!
 1 user thanked TammyPuckett for this useful post.
GrammyCris Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 9:15:12 AM(UTC)
GrammyCris

Was thanked: 1180 time(s) in 551 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scrapperdee Go to Quoted Post

I have to totally agree on this one.....CCR is a pretty good program but I do NOT like being attached to the internet. I willingly will pay for downloaded software that is totally dependant on my own equipment. I do not want to count on someone elses server (which I have seen fail too many times now) and I do not want anyone to have access to my files. I'm tired of everything in CCR sometimes being so slow, commands and all, when I know that I have a fast processor.
 2 users thanked GrammyCris for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 4/19/2013(UTC), MaryStillman on 4/20/2013(UTC)
swatts66 Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 10:44:41 AM(UTC)
swatts66

United States

Was thanked: 1059 time(s) in 579 post(s)
I might give the gypsy another try if it had:
1. Larger screen
2. Color screen and layer feature
3. Interface like CCR
4. I would like the orientation of the MIni mat to be top to bottom instead of sideways. I find the current orientation to be very difficult to work with.

I would pay up to $500 if I didn't have to haul my laptop around. Even better would be iPad app since I already have iPad with retina display. But I don't know how you would cut with iPad in current state.
 1 user thanked swatts66 for this useful post.
xcountrymom Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 11:26:50 AM(UTC)
xcountrymom

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Well my dream Gypsy would work no matter how long it sat unused!!! My gypsy is currently dead with the black screen blue light of death right now thanks to the fact my hubby had 4 surgeries in the past couple of years and all my time had been spent taking care of him and not crafting, when I finally was able to use my beloved G it was dead. :( So i think my dream gypsy would at least work! But in all seriousness I guess I am with the ones wanting an app for my iPad. I think that would be the best option it could be for both android users as well as Mac users that way we could have a screen as big as we want and more stable hardware platform. I would be willing to purchase whatever cords and such needed for this to work.
 1 user thanked xcountrymom for this useful post.
monianne Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 11:34:54 AM(UTC)
monianne

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 48 post(s)
My biggest beef with the current gypsy is the fact that CARTS CAN'T BE UNLINKED!!!
I hate! hate! hate that! Why should I never be able to sell a cart if I find that it is one I don't love as much as I thought I would?

Here are my top wants

1. To be able to UNLINK carts

2. must be a stand alone(exception for updates though computer..pretty understandable)

3. I would like to be able to click on the image and have "handles" in which I can manipulate the size and orientation of the image in addition to what we have currently.

4. For the product to work "bug free" out of the box at launch...no more of this "guinea pig" junk put on consumers.

5. A way to connect to a computer monitor or a laptop WITHOUT have to download the file to yet another program to do so.
 2 users thanked monianne for this useful post.
TammyPuckett Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 12:03:55 PM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 222 post(s)
Read the support section about repairing the Gypsy for those who have dead ones! If mine goes, I will look into the repair aspect. I would still like for PC to consider another design with a larger screen!
 1 user thanked TammyPuckett for this useful post.
Tina E Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 12:12:37 PM(UTC)
Tina E

Was thanked: 438 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Larger screen, faster processer, search feature, fill a page feature (if it has one I haven't found it), stand alone (no computer needed), be able to adjust features with fingers or a click like Ipad or similar device.

I only have an IPad2 and am NOT willing to buy an IPad 3, no matter what display it has as I don't use it very often, because it has issues with PDF files and that is mostly what I need it to do when I am on the road.

Much like the Gypsy I have just with a few modern updates. But if I remember correctly it was said they were not making another G.
 1 user thanked Tina E for this useful post.
~CinnamonSpice~ Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 12:26:38 PM(UTC)
~CinnamonSpice~

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
After getting the ipad 3 with the retina display, my dream gypsy is an ipad app.

I was thinking the VERY same thing when I saw this post.

Would absolutely LOVE to be able to use my iPad for Cricut crafting!!!

2 users thanked ~CinnamonSpice~ for this useful post.
ksqueenb Offline
#19 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 5:05:38 PM(UTC)
ksqueenb

United States

Was thanked: 417 time(s) in 250 post(s)
Unlike many of you, I would not want an app. I don't own an Ipad nor am I likely to own one due to the expense.

I love my G and would like to be able to unlink carts. My biggest wish is a one click shadow feature where you could create and adjust shadow widths. Although I would love a bigger screen, I find that the zoom feature works for almost everything I need to do.

Love the portability and not needing to be internet bound when designing!
 2 users thanked ksqueenb for this useful post.
lv2scrap02 Offline
#20 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 5:49:45 PM(UTC)
lv2scrap02

United States

Was thanked: 1316 time(s) in 1023 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MarleneH Go to Quoted Post
Same as the Gypsy now but a bigger screen for my older eyes...

I agreeBigGrin
 1 user thanked lv2scrap02 for this useful post.
gonescrappin' Offline
#21 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 6:29:02 PM(UTC)
gonescrappin'

United States

Was thanked: 9853 time(s) in 4957 post(s)
I would like a bigger screen and color layers. Also, the ability to unlink carts. Other than that, I would be lost without my Gypsy.
 1 user thanked gonescrappin' for this useful post.
Leahdax Offline
#22 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 1:08:10 AM(UTC)
Leahdax

United States

Was thanked: 354 time(s) in 253 post(s)

The ipad doesn't have any ports, so you couldn't connect it directly to the cricut (that's one of the things I don't like about the iphone/ipad). There were a few android tablets that had full USB ports, but unfortunately, the manufacturers aren't doing that anymore. The best you can find of the new tablets is the Asus Transformer that has a keyboard docking station with a full-sized USB port. You would have to transfer any project files to a desktop application unless they use wifi to send project files to the E2 with the wifi adapter.

Originally Posted by: GracefulGrammar Go to Quoted Post
At this moment in time, I wouldn't spend the $$$ to buy another pricey machine from PC because of past history. I would be willing to purchase an IPad app that would allow me to design on the go and then transfer those files to CCR/gypsy for cutting at a later time. An option like this would mean that no hardware, cables, wireless adapters would be needed. Expense would be kept to a minimum.

The app would have to be competitive with other cutting softwares for me to consider purchasing it. It would have to include the basic functions other cutting softwares do; such as, alignment tools and one-click shadowing.

Android or apple would work for me. Depending on the features, I would be willing a pay a max of $50 given that upgrades and updates were free and that PC made a commitment to have new carts available to the app within 24 hours after a new cart has been announced.

$50 is a bit stiff for a app. I would think that's more in line with the cost of a desktop program like Design Studio. For an app $10 or $15 would be more appropriate; maybe $20 since the app would have such a small target market. The app would need to be available for both android and iOS for maximum distribution. Alignment, locking, shadows, colored layers would all be a must in addition to all the features of the Gypsy and CCR. And most importantly, NO INTERNET ACCESS IN ORDER TO CUT.

Originally Posted by: ksqueenb Go to Quoted Post
Unlike many of you, I would not want an app. I don't own an Ipad nor am I likely to own one due to the expense.

I love my G and would like to be able to unlink carts. My biggest wish is a one click shadow feature where you could create and adjust shadow widths. Although I would love a bigger screen, I find that the zoom feature works for almost everything I need to do.

Love the portability and not needing to be internet bound when designing!

This is why an app would need to be available for android as well as ios. Android tablets are much less expensive than iPads. You can get a Samsung Galaxy 7-2 for less than $200 as opposed to $350 for the ipad mini. The Gypsy was $300 when it first came out and it's a one trick pony. People don't have that kind of money anymore. But, once you have a tablet you can do much more with it than just craft. With so many people already having tablets, making an app is a smart move. They just need to get good programmers to keep it up-to-date and current.

I think all of us would like the ability to unlink carts.
 1 user thanked Leahdax for this useful post.
scrappymom Offline
#23 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:08:13 PM(UTC)
scrappymom

Was thanked: 296 time(s) in 236 post(s)
The only change I would like to see is a little bigger screen. I love my gypsy and like that it is portable and I am not tied to a computer and I don't have to bring my cartridges. If I had to bring a laptop to some of the crops I go to, where you don't have a lot of space, I wouldn't have space to scrap!!
Cre8ncam Offline
#24 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:55:00 PM(UTC)
Cre8ncam

Was thanked: 177 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leahdax Go to Quoted Post
The ipad doesn't have any ports, so you couldn't connect it directly to the cricut (that's one of the things I don't like about the iphone/ipad). There were a few android tablets that had full USB ports, but unfortunately, the manufacturers aren't doing that anymore. The best you can find of the new tablets is the Asus Transformer that has a keyboard docking station with a full-sized USB port. You would have to transfer any project files to a desktop application unless they use wifi to send project files to the E2 with the wifi adapter.

While the Ipad/iphone may not have a USB port the new Lightning connector is actually a USB cable and I am certain they could easily make an adapter that would plug the USB end of the cable into the cricut similar to the card reader you can buy for the IPad.
Cammie

Leahdax Offline
#25 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:58:01 PM(UTC)
Leahdax

United States

Originally Posted by: Cre8ncam Go to Quoted Post
While the Ipad/iphone may not have a USB port the new Lightning connector is actually a USB cable and I am certain they could easily make an adapter that would plug the USB end of the cable into the cricut similar to the card reader you can buy for the IPad.
Cammie

The iPad/iPhone would have to act as the host device in order for that to work, and as far as I know, it can only act as a host with cameras and will only transfer pictures and music. The same goes for the SD card reader - the iphone will only transfer video and pictures.

There is an app that lets you transfer files via wifi to a few cloud-based file servers (dropbox and skydrive, for example), so I'm sure it's possible for PC to write some code that would transfer files via wifi from a device to a wifi-enabled cutter. Right now, that's the E2.
Leahdax Offline
#26 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:10:32 PM(UTC)
Leahdax

United States

Originally Posted by: scrappymom Go to Quoted Post
The only change I would like to see is a little bigger screen. I love my gypsy and like that it is portable and I am not tied to a computer and I don't have to bring my cartridges. If I had to bring a laptop to some of the crops I go to, where you don't have a lot of space, I wouldn't have space to scrap!!

I run into that a lot, since I prefer using Design Studio. But, I know I am going to have to make some changes cause lugging my laptop around really cuts into my crafting space (and time). I'll probably just start using my Gypsy. Hopefully, by the time it dies PC will have come up with some kind of replacement. It really is a great concept.
Cindy J Offline
#27 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:45:47 PM(UTC)
Cindy J

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I use CCR on my iPad all the time and have been using it for a couple of years now. For those of you who are looking for an app for your iPad/iPhone, try an app that enables Flash content. I use Photon. I can design with it, save it to my CCR account, and then when I am at my computer, I connect my machine and cut.
So to answer the question, if an adapter or cable were to be made that I could plug into my iPad to connect my Cricut, I would buy it in an instant! I know something like this is possible, since I use a card reader on my iPad often (referring to Square Card Reader to swipe and read credit cards). Of course, ProvoCraft would probably have to develop an app to work with the adapter. Just look at all the tablet accessories in the stores (thermometers, radar detectors, microphones/musical instruments, credit card readers, etc.) - I'm sure it's possible if somebody at PC had the knowledge of how to make it. My guess is they do or could have the know-how since they designed the original Gypsy with all its cables. And yes, definitely not being tied/dependant on an internet connection would be a BIG plus (for crops and when traveling).
Meanwhile, until something like that comes out, I will continue to use my G, iPad app, computer, or whatever else I have available at the time I need it. BigGrin
- Cindy
Leahdax Offline
#28 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 7:53:12 PM(UTC)
Leahdax

United States

Originally Posted by: Cindy J Go to Quoted Post
I use CCR on my iPad all the time and have been using it for a couple of years now. For those of you who are looking for an app for your iPad/iPhone, try an app that enables Flash content. I use Photon. I can design with it, save it to my CCR account, and then when I am at my computer, I connect my machine and cut.
So to answer the question, if an adapter or cable were to be made that I could plug into my iPad to connect my Cricut, I would buy it in an instant! I know something like this is possible, since I use a card reader on my iPad often (referring to Square Card Reader to swipe and read credit cards). Of course, ProvoCraft would probably have to develop an app to work with the adapter. Just look at all the tablet accessories in the stores (thermometers, radar detectors, microphones/musical instruments, credit card readers, etc.) - I'm sure it's possible if somebody at PC had the knowledge of how to make it. My guess is they do or could have the know-how since they designed the original Gypsy with all its cables. And yes, definitely not being tied/dependant on an internet connection would be a BIG plus (for crops and when traveling).
Meanwhile, until something like that comes out, I will continue to use my G, iPad app, computer, or whatever else I have available at the time I need it. BigGrin
- Cindy

I've used a browser called Puffin that does the same thing. It seems to work pretty well. I haven't played around with it very much as I keep forgetting to bring my tablet to work. But I might give it another shot...as soon as CCR lets me back in.

I'm sure that some type of adapter that would allow us to hook up to an ipad to a Cricut could be made if Apple would allow it. But, they don't. They restrict file access to their devices to maintain system stability. They allow photo and video access. Everything else has to go thru iTunes or a 3rd party cloud server like dropbox, which requires internet access. Otherwise, 3rd party accessory manufacturers would have put that out loooooong ago.

I discovered that you can get a micro USB OTG (on-the-go) cable that will allow a cell phone or a tablet to act as a USB host device. And I discovered that there is a Lightning to micro USB adapter that is available for iphones and ipads. But I haven't found any indication that it would give you access to the file system like micro USB ports do for android devices. From what I can tell, it only lets you charge and sync (more of that file restriction for system stability). Seems like a stand-alone device might be the best solution for a Gypsy replacement, but PC has ruled that out Sad

Edited by user Monday, April 22, 2013 7:53:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Leahdax Offline
#29 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 11:31:15 PM(UTC)
Leahdax

United States

Duh! I just remembered! Bluetooth and NFC. They both create their own connections. No internet or cables required to transfer files. What they would require is the hardware to support them. NFC can transfer larger files faster, but more devices have bluetooth. So, PC would have to come out with a new Cricut that was bluetooth and NFC capable. Unless they could somehow add a module to current Cricut models that would add the capability.