Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

lauradrumm Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 2:48:31 PM(UTC)
lauradrumm

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
How do you ensure the inside of the frame is the right size for your photo? For example, it doesn't work to simply enter 4x6 for a 4x6 frame...Thanks in advance!Confused
CricketCMV Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 3:12:49 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8023 time(s) in 4685 post(s)
Do you use CCR? To me, that is the easiest way to size frames from cartridges. In CCR, I merely lay my picture I want to frame on the virtual mat, see what those measurements are, then I make sure in CCR that the frame I'm using stretches from the top and side to fit the picture EXACTLY.

Hope that made sense! CDS and/or a Gypsy would work. too.

Char
 3 users thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
lauradrumm on 2/24/2013(UTC), JustJudi on 4/19/2013(UTC), ottergirl on 4/30/2013(UTC)
lauradrumm Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:46:49 PM(UTC)
lauradrumm

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks, I didn't realize that using the CCR screen allows for actual sizing! This is great! I am not hooked on CCR and don't like using any other way. I do wish they would hurry up on allowing us to sync our Gypsy!BigGrin
 1 user thanked lauradrumm for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/25/2013(UTC)
Leanner Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:43:39 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1526 time(s) in 1127 post(s)
I thought that the measurement that you entered in to cut was the size of the opening that makes the frame for that cartridge?
Narelle Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:57:11 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7817 time(s) in 3649 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leanner Go to Quoted Post
I thought that the measurement that you entered in to cut was the size of the opening that makes the frame for that cartridge?

You're right! Smile That's definitely how Fancy Frames works anyhow... Smile

Set the Default Height size as the longer of the two measurements. For a 4x6 photo set the Default Height as 6".
 1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
Selena on 2/26/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 10:24:55 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: lauradrumm Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, I didn't realize that using the CCR screen allows for actual sizing! This is great! I am not hooked on CCR and don't like using any other way. I do wish they would hurry up on allowing us to sync our Gypsy!BigGrin

In CCR, you can determine the exact size of your picture you want to frame on the mat (as I said, above). Then, when you place your frame on the mat on the screen, you can use the lower right circle on the handles/box around your image to move the frame/image in and out. In to make the center smaller or out to make the center larger and you can bring it in or out just to the exact size you want to make it.

In essence, you would make that center a little smaller than your actual picture size to be sure to cover the whole picture once you lay the frame on the picture.

Hope that makes sense. It's worth using CCR just for those purposes along...if you don't want to use it for anything else.

Have you tried CCR?

Char

Edited by user Monday, February 25, 2013 10:26:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cathy C. Bowden Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:19:46 AM(UTC)
Cathy C. Bowden

I put 6" for <Frame7> and when cut it turned out to be 8" high and 7" wide.

I wanted it cover a 4"x6" picture. I am not using the CCR software.

Help please? Confused
CricketCMV Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 9:18:46 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: dandylions72bhsfb63e61d Go to Quoted Post

Help please? Confused

I think it's harder when you're trying to do this manually. Mainly, I would just use scratch paper and try to determine where you set your dial based on how those cut for you.

Maybe you need to select REAL DIAL SIZE, also. Which did you use to begin with?

Judging from what you said above, (not sure I'm thinking it out right), why don't you try 4" as your size (the same dial size you used before). If you put in 6" and it came out 8"X7", maybe 4" will come out 6"X5"! But, that wouldn't be right, either!!! If you put in 5", it seems it would come out 7"X6"...which wouldn't be so great, either.

Oh, my! Good luck. It will be interesting to know how you resolve this.

If I had that cartridge, I would love to size it for you in CCR and send it to you!! I don't have it, though.

CAN SOMEONE ELSE HELP DANDYLIONS with this question?

Char

Edited by user Friday, April 19, 2013 9:19:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
Cathy C. Bowden on 4/22/2013(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 10:31:46 AM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

United States

Was thanked: 12567 time(s) in 5048 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cathy C. Bowden Go to Quoted Post

Help please? Confused

Which cartridge are you cutting from? Fancy Frames or a different one? If I have it, I will do a test cut. I ONLY work manually (never with software) so no problem at all. Just tell me which cart.
 1 user thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 4/19/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 1:50:37 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Go to Quoted Post
Which cartridge are you cutting from? Fancy Frames or a different one? If I have it, I will do a test cut. I ONLY work manually (never with software) so no problem at all. Just tell me which cart.

That's a good idea, Nadia. I could do that on CCR, too. And, then tell OP what the overall size on the mat is for that opening.

Good thinking.

Ummmmmmm.....why aren't you on CCR? Just curious.

Char
#11 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 6:46:45 PM(UTC)

United States

Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
That's a good idea, Nadia. I could do that on CCR, too. And, then tell OP what the overall size on the mat is for that opening.

Good thinking.

Ummmmmmm.....why aren't you on CCR? Just curious.

Char

I don't like using software. The beauty and freedom (to me) of the Cricut is the ease! I love sticking in a cart. Pressing a button or two and getting my shape in seconds! BigGrin

The JOY of papercrafting for me is when I can hand-cut to make my die cuts unique, dimensional, and exactly what I have in my mind. It is faster than cutting from scratch, but still gives me freedom.

I do have DS, but never use it. (Honestly, I only used it to cut the files people so generously created and shared, but with so many carts now, I find that I have everything I need right on the cartridges.)

I had a Gypsy for one day. My mom gave it to me one Christmas. I turned it on, registered it, nosed around, turned it off, turned it back on... and then I got the black screen of death (or whatever it is called BigGrin ). I sent it back. I had it just long enough to realize the screen was too small for me! (So I wasn't upset that it didn't work!)

When CCR came out, they let us test it. Hated it, but it is me. I think mostly, I am not a planner! I like to cut something and play with it to change it, not stare at a screen and mess around behind a computer. I like touching paper, manipulating it, changing it by hand.

But if someone else likes to use CCR, I say 'go for it.' BigGrin And I never say never. I have a BUNCH of digital images from the credits and some things I won that aren't on the cartridges so maybe one day I will have a hankering to make something and use it. (But let's not hold our breath!) LOL
 2 users thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 4/19/2013(UTC), Sunflowerbuggy on 4/20/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 9:27:48 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

I don't like using software. The beauty and freedom (to me) of the Cricut is the ease! I love sticking in a cart. Pressing a button or two and getting my shape in seconds! BigGrin

The JOY of papercrafting for me is when I can hand-cut to make my die cuts unique, dimensional, and exactly what I have in my mind. It is faster than cutting from scratch, but still gives me freedom.

I do have DS, but never use it. (Honestly, I only used it to cut the files people so generously created and shared, but with so many carts now, I find that I have everything I need right on the cartridges.)

I had a Gypsy for one day. My mom gave it to me one Christmas. I turned it on, registered it, nosed around, turned it off, turned it back on... and then I got the black screen of death (or whatever it is called BigGrin ). I sent it back. I had it just long enough to realize the screen was too small for me! (So I wasn't upset that it didn't work!)

When CCR came out, they let us test it. Hated it, but it is me. I think mostly, I am not a planner! I like to cut something and play with it to change it, not stare at a screen and mess around behind a computer. I like touching paper, manipulating it, changing it by hand.

But if someone else likes to use CCR, I say 'go for it.' BigGrin And I never say never. I have a BUNCH of digital images from the credits and some things I won that aren't on the cartridges so maybe one day I will have a hankering to make something and use it. (But let's not hold our breath!) LOL

I think that's where I was confused, because I thought you HAD talked about being on CCR in the past. I totally understand your explanation.....I think it's easier for me to use the computer because of a lot of arthritis issues. I don't know if that makes sense.

BUT, I do love messing around in CCR on the computer and laying stuff out and trying to picture in my mind what I'm going to do with it when I get it all cut out. I do love the software and find it very easy to use....and, I think that comes from working in some other programs that did photo editing and working in PowerPoint in my jobs. CCR works a lot like PowerPoint and the fact I had used that allowed me to move around in CCR right away without too much problem.

Anyway, I enjoyed hearing your explanation.

Char

Edited by user Friday, April 19, 2013 9:31:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 5:12:19 AM(UTC)

United States

I think that's where I was confused, because I thought you HAD talked about being on CCR in the past. I totally understand your explanation.....I think it's easier for me to use the computer because of a lot of arthritis issues. I don't know if that makes sense.

BUT, I do love messing around in CCR on the computer and laying stuff out and trying to picture in my mind what I'm going to do with it when I get it all cut out. I do love the software and find it very easy to use....and, I think that comes from working in some other programs that did photo editing and working in PowerPoint in my jobs. CCR works a lot like PowerPoint and the fact I had used that allowed me to move around in CCR right away without too much problem.

Anyway, I enjoyed hearing your explanation.

Char

Well... it wasn't me because I have never made even one cut using CCR (only opening up and placing an item or two on the virtual mat).... UNTIL NOW!

Yep, this conversation had an effect on me I guess. I hooked up my laptop to my Expression, and after updating my firmware (which hadn't been done in so long that it took a bit), I cut a sheet from the Teressa Collins Basics. So there you go. Wink It wasn't bad. Woot Not going to be making a habit of it but at least now I know I can cut the digital stuff I have.

Thanks, Char.Wub
 1 user thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 4/22/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 10:25:18 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Well... it wasn't me because I have never made even one cut using CCR (only opening up and placing an item or two on the virtual mat).... UNTIL NOW!

Yep, this conversation had an effect on me I guess. I hooked up my laptop to my Expression, and after updating my firmware (which hadn't been done in so long that it took a bit), I cut a sheet from the Teressa Collins Basics. So there you go. Wink It wasn't bad. Woot Not going to be making a habit of it but at least now I know I can cut the digital stuff I have.

Thanks, Char.Wub

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE A HABIT OF IT?????? Well, okay! Whatever!! LOL. You're welcome; but, I'm sure it wasn't any effect I had on you! I'm pretty sure you've had this in the back of your mind for quite some time.

We all need to be a little more open-minded from time-to-time (I know I do). Maybe your mind just opened up for a few minutes for you. Wonder what I should try?

Char
 2 users thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com on 4/20/2013(UTC), JanisD on 4/20/2013(UTC)
Cathy C. Bowden Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 7:05:04 AM(UTC)
Cathy C. Bowden

Char,

It is the Fancy Frame. I choose portrait, then material saver. I will try it with real size.
What is CCR and where do I go to get it?

Thanks,

Cathy BigGrin

I think it's harder when you're trying to do this manually. Mainly, I would just use scratch paper and try to determine where you set your dial based on how those cut for you.

Maybe you need to select REAL DIAL SIZE, also. Which did you use to begin with?

Judging from what you said above, (not sure I'm thinking it out right), why don't you try 4" as your size (the same dial size you used before). If you put in 6" and it came out 8"X7", maybe 4" will come out 6"X5"! But, that wouldn't be right, either!!! If you put in 5", it seems it would come out 7"X6"...which wouldn't be so great, either.

Oh, my! Good luck. It will be interesting to know how you resolve this.

If I had that cartridge, I would love to size it for you in CCR and send it to you!! I don't have it, though.

CAN SOMEONE ELSE HELP DANDYLIONS with this question?

Char

CricketCMV Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 9:16:05 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: Cathy C. Bowden Go to Quoted Post
Char,

It is the Fancy Frame. I choose portrait, then material saver. I will try it with real size.
What is CCR and where do I go to get it?

Thanks,

Cathy BigGrin

Cathy - So sorry I didn't see your post....my whole internet (it was a GROUP problem according to AT&T) was down from 8:00pm last night through at least 2:00pm today and I was gone after 2:00pm and don't know when it came back up. I just got back on here a little while ago.

Forgive me....which machine are you wanting to use with CCR. AND, what kind of computer are you using? Go to the CRAFT ROOM tab at the top of our forums and go down to FAQS to be sure your computer has the requirements to download CCR....and let us know if it looks like you will be able to successfully download CCR to your computer. If it looks good for you, maybe you'll see what to do there....or, come back here. We'll be glad to try to help, too.

Char
JoyceG Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 8:24:17 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 903 time(s) in 591 post(s)
I just have to jump in here..about using the CCR..I also tried it out during the betta testing phase and did not like it. I didn't even use my cricut for over a year because just figuring out what to cut by pushing which button and shift, no shift, layers 1 2 3 ..blah blah blah just got me all pissy.. But since I updated CCR and started using it in Feb..it is THE best thing ever!! Of course I had to watch some you tube videos to learn some things ut I can't imagine using my cricut without CCR now.

Joyce Love CCR
 2 users thanked JoyceG for this useful post.
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com on 4/30/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 4/30/2013(UTC)