Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

jmontagf7b450ef Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 3:39:17 PM(UTC)
jmontagf7b450ef

Groups: Registered

What are the advantages/disadvantages of digital vs cartridge when ordering and how does the digital download to the machine?
scrapalette Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 4:44:12 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19136 time(s) in 8557 post(s)
The digital doesn't download to your machine. It's stored {at least the cutting rights are} in your cricut.com account and it's authorized for cutting in CCR.

That's probably the biggest difference. . .with a physical cart, you own it and can use it in any Cricut machine. With digital, you have cutting rights to the images and have to use CCR or a Gypsy. If using CCR, you need to have an internet connection to be online to login to CCR.
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
AnnSnowgren on 4/26/2013(UTC)
LauraEbeth Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:02:19 PM(UTC)
LauraEbeth

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
one of the biggest advantages of digitialzing your cartridges is being able to cut from multiple cart's in a single cut. My mom has made me addicted to cricut but she only let me "borrow" a few carts when I started using it. Once CCR came along, she was able to load all the carts into CCR for me and we share an account(you can only have 2 computers per account though) I use my cricut completely independent of any carts now and have given all the ones i've purchased or that were purchased for me back to my mom(she's still learning CCR). The only one I held onto was Tags, Bags, Boxes & more 2, because of the detailed instruction booklet. . .

digital is also cheaper a lot of times. I love seeing carts on ebay for for like $70 when you can buy the digital from cricut.com for $20-$40.
scrapalette Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:30:50 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19136 time(s) in 8557 post(s)
Even if you have physical carts {and choose not to link them through CCR}, you can still cut with multiple carts. When you press the CUT button, CCR will prompt you to insert the cart(s) before sending the file to your Cricut to cut.
JoyceG Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:43:46 AM(UTC)
JoyceG

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 925 time(s) in 597 post(s)
I just uploaded CCR and started working with it a couple months ago. I have linked up 102 of my carts to it. I like having the cartridges for a couple reasons.

1) Sharing! I can share the cartridges with friends who don't have a particualr cartridge that I have.

2) Security! I've invested in digital programs before and after a few years they stop making it and then I can't use the product that I paid for. Kinda like how they've discontinued Design Studio or at least stopped updating it. So it is a sense of security having the physical cartridge in my hand knowing I will still be able to use my machine if they leave CCR in the dust.

3) Savings!! I have found that most cartridges can be found on sale in a variety of stores which saves me LOTS of money.

So the only time I will ever buy a digital cartridge is if it's one I want but can't find the cartridge of at a reasonable price.