Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

EstherWheat Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2013 7:30:51 AM(UTC)
EstherWheat

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I am moving Mom into a nursing home this next week. Hard decision but it has to be, so that she can get the medical care that she needs. I want to decorate the walls with "Facts about Ramona" type of stuff. I have thought of making large flowers with a fact in the middle but am not sure that is what I want. I know you all have lots of opinions and ideas so please share! I am going to make her name in large letters to go over her bed since she goes by her middle name and not her first so a large visual reminder of that will be beneficial. So....what do you think?
EstherWheat attached the following image(s):
photo.JPG
 1 user thanked EstherWheat for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 5/4/2013(UTC)
Leanner Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:22:44 AM(UTC)
Leanner

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1562 time(s) in 1150 post(s)
Could you put up wall vinyl? It might be nice for her to have family pictures as well. What does the home allow you to put up?

My co-worker always buys a seasonal wreath for her friend's door.

2 users thanked Leanner for this useful post.
EstherWheat on 5/4/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 5/4/2013(UTC)
Rosebudz Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:59:02 AM(UTC)
Rosebudz

Was thanked: 454 time(s) in 326 post(s)
Beside the regular stuff (notes about laundry, facts that she wore dentures, a hearing aid, and glasses, etc), I posted family pics with names to help my Mom. I used my Mom's love of fairies, and had 4 old fashioned fairie prints framed. I decorated her room with a beautiful rose quilt and pillow (her name was Rose), she was familiar with these items. Make sure her bedding is washable. Label EVERYTHING and keep a record of EVERYTHING. I also left her Christmas tree up year round, but decorated it differently each month (i.e.: snowflakes and snowmen in January, hearts and cupids in February, etc.). She seemed to enjoy it, and I know she relished the comments by other visitors, staff, etc., commenting on her tree. There was also a coordinating tabletop piece for each month. My Mom happened to love AnnaLee Mobilitee dolls, so I always used those in the pieces. She was a life long doll lover, and recognized those until she passed away last September at 97. You are doing the right thing. Your Mom will get great care and her medical needs will be taken care of. You are very lucky to have your Mom, I miss mine. Best of luck.
 2 users thanked Rosebudz for this useful post.
EstherWheat on 5/4/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 5/4/2013(UTC)
SAR Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2013 12:47:59 PM(UTC)
SAR

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I don't have many creative ideas for this but just want to tell you that you are doing a wonderful thing for your mother! I have worked in nursing homes in many roles and have taught gerontology. Anything you can do so the staff sees your mother as an individual will help with how they relate to her!

Having pictures of her family is great but so is having pictures out-hung or on the furniture-of HER, doing things she enjoys and/or did in the past. This will help staff know her better and talk to her about things she is interested in . (e.g. when my mother was in assisted living, my brother hung a collage of photos of a bowling alley my parents had built and owned for several years. It had been out of business for about 20 years BUT one of the staff members recognized it and her FIL had worked there for my Dad. How great it was that she and my mother discovered that and had that bond.)
I was a nurse in a nursing home and took care of a woman who was not aware of her surroundings. Above her bed was a picture of her-young and glamorous. I really enjoyed seeing that and thought about her life as I cared for her.
Sorry to be so wordy but this is something I really believe in. I truly think it improves care when staff members see the resident as a unique individual that they can relate to in a personal way-not just "patient."
You are doing good things for your mother.
Suzanne
 3 users thanked SAR for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 5/4/2013(UTC), EstherWheat on 5/6/2013(UTC), Leanner on 5/6/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2013 4:22:22 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8174 time(s) in 4793 post(s)
You have all given unique ideas and thoughts on this particular subject. We did similar things for my parents.....with my oldest sister going to the ultimate to create a fabric wall hanging for both in their rooms of collages of pictures of our whole family (after marriages) and grandchildren. Our mother had been a quilter/rug maker/crafter all her married life (thus, all us kids' lives) and I think it meant a lot to both of them that their oldest had created such beautiful pieces for both of them. They were talking pieces for everyone who came into their rooms. Sad to say, they weren't in the same room; but, it was best that way.

You have all done and said very helpful things in these posts.

Bless you and your mom as you go through these times with her. I pray everything goes well.

Char
EstherWheat Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 10:18:34 AM(UTC)
EstherWheat

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Thanks everyone. I went today to the facility and it is beautiful! Brand spanking new and just wonderful. I hope that Mom will adjust to everything very quickly. She goes there Thursday and I am going on Wednesday to fix up her room so that it is as close to home as possible. I am going to do her name above the bed and then hang tons of pictures and things from her home. There is a shadow box outside of her door so I have to figure out what things will be most important there so people will know who she is and about her. I am getting ready to Cricut-ify her room! lol

LOL LOL
jojoy Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 11:02:57 AM(UTC)
jojoy

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 14395 time(s) in 4422 post(s)
I wish I had been into crafting when my mother was in the nursing home. We were lucky enough to be able to bring her dresser from home. That way she did have something familiar from home. We also had family pictures and a favorite afghan of hers. It was a very trying time. We were lucky enough that it was close by. For me, I could have walked there if I wanted to. Unfortunately, both my parents had to be admitted within a couple of weeks of each other. They weren't able to be in the same room, but they were close by on the same floor. We always took turns during the week so someone would be there, then on the weekends we all came when we were able to. My dad lasted only about 4 months. My mother was there for almost 2 years. They took very good care of them.

Be sure to take care of yourself too. In the beginning, I tried to take on too much, and I ended up getting sick and not be able to go for a couple of weeks.

Good luck to you and your mother.
 1 user thanked jojoy for this useful post.
EstherWheat on 5/6/2013(UTC)