Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
MaryScraps Offline
#31 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 1:33:25 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 6864 time(s) in 2789 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GracefulGrammar Go to Quoted Post
Good morning.......

SB_Grandma........ I own several other cutters and my images are all backed up......... as for the 3 recoveries to regain lost images......... It is three recoveries AT A TIME........ then it's a phone call to the company and reset privileges can restored; and, they have been restored for many users. I have not heard of anyone being turned down......... I have done it.
]

Thank you for that. It doesn't state that anywhere. So I would have no way of knowing that.
Now I learned something new.
MaryScraps Offline
#32 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 1:36:23 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
I agree that Provocraft has been listening to what customers want but I think their solutions make no sense.

To me, it boils down to this simple idea. If I had only purchased one machine, cartridges and downloaded CCR, I would be able to use all of these products to their full capacity. I could cut directly from the carts. I could link the carts to CCR and cut with it. I would have a back-up system for my cartridges.

But as a Gypsy owner, because I purchased an additional Provocraft product that subsequently broke, I cannot use other Cricut products to their full capacity. (Unless, of course, I pay Provocraft more money to repair my Gypsy.) My husband and I are electronics junkies and I can not think of a single other example where this is the case.

I was happy with them offering to fix the gypsy. I'm glad they are offering to do that.
They didn't have to.
JoyceG Offline
#33 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 11:01:42 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 901 time(s) in 590 post(s)
I really feel for anyone who bought the gyspy devices. I have learned from experience about electronics. Like all electronics items..they never last for years and years...not computers, not printers, not cameras and not phones, not the new HD Tvs the list goes on and on. So I have to wonder why people would think the gyspy would? And most electronis are pretty much obsolete the minute they are walked out of the store because a newer model has already been released. These things will not change because compaines all over the world are in it to make a product, sell it and do it all over again with the next device. there is a warrenty on electronic devices and if it breaks in that period, then do what needs to be done to get it fixed. But if its after the warrenty expired..then that's too bad..that's the way everything is any more. From homes warrenties to car warrenties to anything you buy that's not clothing or shoes or food (but even food sometimes has a freshness guarentee).

I did sell my first machine (the 6" mat one) and the 12 dies I had bought to a friend because I needed money badly. But those carts weren't linked to my CCR account and I don't use them in any way. Now I have an E and 117 carts (8 of them are digital) that are linked to CCR and I will not sell them because IF PC does get ride of CCR, then I will still be able to use my cartridges. Even though I have bought 8 digital carts (because they are the retired carts), I would prefer to have the material cartridge so I won't lose them when CCR does go byebye.

Joyce
CherylfromOz Offline
#34 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 11:10:18 PM(UTC)
CherylfromOz

Australia

Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 154 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JoyceG Go to Quoted Post
I really feel for anyone who bought the gyspy devices. I have learned from experience about electronics. Like all electronics items..they never last for years and years...not computers, not printers, not cameras and not phones, not the new HD Tvs the list goes on and on. So I have to wonder why people would think the gyspy would? And most electronis are pretty much obsolete the minute they are walked out of the store because a newer model has already been released. These things will not change because compaines all over the world are in it to make a product, sell it and do it all over again with the next device. there is a warrenty on electronic devices and if it breaks in that period, then do what needs to be done to get it fixed. But if its after the warrenty expired..then that's too bad..that's the way everything is any more. From homes warrenties to car warrenties to anything you buy that's not clothing or shoes or food (but even food sometimes has a freshness guarentee).

I did sell my first machine (the 6" mat one) and the 12 dies I had bought to a friend because I needed money badly. But those carts weren't linked to my CCR account and I don't use them in any way. Now I have an E and 117 carts (8 of them are digital) that are linked to CCR and I will not sell them because IF PC does get ride of CCR, then I will still be able to use my cartridges. Even though I have bought 8 digital carts (because they are the retired carts), I would prefer to have the material cartridge so I won't lose them when CCR does go byebye.

Joyce

I honestly thought PC would bring out an updated version, I didn't think it would be discontinued
GracefulGrammar Offline
#35 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 7:05:07 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1817 time(s) in 865 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scrapbooking_Grandma Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for that. It doesn't state that anywhere. So I would have no way of knowing that.
Now I learned something new.

Backing up of files is a basic operation resident in the computer operating system........ a simple cut and paste to the back up location...... I am not sure what you are looking for. The files are resident on the computer, they are copied and pasted into the backup location, why wouldn't the computer user have a way of knowing that.

Di&Co Offline
#36 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 8:07:14 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 20796 time(s) in 5205 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CherylfromOz Go to Quoted Post
I honestly thought PC would bring out an updated version, I didn't think it would be discontinued

Im not so sure about that. This is Nathan's quote:

While we are dedicated to providing ongoing support and repair options for the Cricut Gypsy™ device, we have made the decision to stop production on the current Cricut Gypsy™ model.

That leaves the door open a crack....
jscraftylady Offline
#37 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 8:18:01 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2303 time(s) in 1238 post(s)

Joyce

That is not my experience with electronics. I have had my Power Mac G4 for 6 years. My video iPod I bought 7 years ago when it was first released still works great. My son uses my first iPad. That is now 3 years old. Our HD TV is going on 12 years old.

Our Nintendo DS, which I believe is very similar if not identical in format to the Gypsy, is chugging along at 9 years old.

How long did my Gypsy last? 18 months. Based on complaints on this messageboard, this seems to be pretty typical. I do not think it was unreasonable for us to have expected a longer life span.

I don't expect electronics to last forever, but the Gypsy had design flaws.
 2 users thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
IamBubbles=D on 5/10/2013(UTC), theproc0a14c052 on 5/10/2013(UTC)
Calmom Offline
#38 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 9:53:21 AM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2095 time(s) in 1069 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CherylfromOz Go to Quoted Post

PC wants EVERYONE to use the CCR and if they brought out a newer version of the Gypsy, then less would use the CCR. It is no secret, strictly Digital is PC's goal.

I guess I can't blame them, the profit margin is much higher with Digital than Physical Cartridges. However, I really think many of PC customers will purchase other Digital Die Cutting Machines. They are much more advance, images average $.30 or less and a cleaner cut for intricate cutting.

I really wish PC would reconsider a Newer Version of the Gypsy, it is the only one of it's kind. It is much nicer now that we can Link our Gypsy Linked cartridges to CCR but you still have to have a computer and Internet, huge drawback.

GracefulGrammar Offline
#39 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 10:33:09 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Originally Posted by: Di&Co. Go to Quoted Post
Im not so sure about that. This is Nathan's quote:

While we are dedicated to providing ongoing support and repair options for the Cricut Gypsy™ device, we have made the decision to stop production on the current Cricut Gypsy™ model.

That leaves the door open a crack....

From the FAQ Nathan Linked:

Is there a new Cricut Gypsy™ device coming out?
No, there are no plans to release a new Cricut Gypsy™ device.

http://www.cricut.com/home/support/gypsy-repair

Millions of tablets have been sold......... I am not sure there is a big enough audience to warrant developing a NEW Gypsy that would be cost effective and competitive with the functions that today's tablets offer as far speed, power,connectivity and networking....... A dedicated tablet would be a hard sale when today's tablets are so feature-rich.

With an able staff of programmers, PC could develop apps for all tablet OSs that could be transferred to CCR for cutting. The cost would be minimal to the enduser, especially to those who already have purchased a tablet. I am not sure there is a large enough group of PC users left that would be willing to purchase another pricey toy from PC on debut; thus, make the device immediately profitable for the company. The development of an app would take much less R&D and capital to get up and running.

GracefulGrammar Offline
#40 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 10:37:57 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
That is not my experience with electronics. I have had my Power Mac G4 for 6 years. My video iPod I bought 7 years ago when it was first released still works great. My son uses my first iPad. That is now 3 years old. Our HD TV is going on 12 years old.

Our Nintendo DS, which I believe is very similar if not identical in format to the Gypsy, is chugging along at 9 years old.

How long did my Gypsy last? 18 months. Based on complaints on this messageboard, this seems to be pretty typical. I do not think it was unreasonable for us to have expected a longer life span.

I don't expect electronics to last forever, but the Gypsy had design flaws.

Quality products have an expected life of about 7 years....... Internal heat related problems can often be the source of products dying early...... After 7 years the cost of repair is more $$$ than the product is worth.

Jrcreate Offline
#41 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 11:06:58 AM(UTC)
Jrcreate

United States

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 130 post(s)
The biggest issue here is how PC treats their customers. My gypsy worked fine I did an update (with their software) and it killed my gypsy. I got it replaced simply because it was under warranty but I know of no other company that gives you THEIR update and it breaks the machine and if out of warranty the purchaser is out of luck. DO NOT BREAK our machines, stand behind your product, do not blame the consumer for faults with your software! Give the consumer what was promised. Do not release something that is not ready for release. None of this is revelations this is good business and PC might stay in business if they followed standard business practices. Also if they followed this rule "A happy customer tells one person; An unhappy one tells ten people!"

Jeanene
 1 user thanked Jrcreate for this useful post.
BJR on 5/12/2013(UTC)
MaryScraps Offline
#42 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 1:49:46 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Backing up of files is a basic operation resident in the computer operating system........ a simple cut and paste to the back up location...... I am not sure what you are looking for. The files are resident on the computer, they are copied and pasted into the backup location, why wouldn't the computer user have a way of knowing that.

I was referring to having a way to back up digital images through the company software.
I was not referring to having to dig through your c drive backing up a image or file of images that way.
It would be a basic export option with in the software itself.
Di&Co Offline
#43 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 3:06:46 PM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 20796 time(s) in 5205 post(s)
From the FAQ Nathan Linked:

Is there a new Cricut Gypsy™ device coming out?
No, there are no plans to release a new Cricut Gypsy™ device.

http://www.cricut.com/home/support/gypsy-repair

Millions of tablets have been sold......... I am not sure there is a big enough audience to warrant developing a NEW Gypsy that would be cost effective and competitive with the functions that today's tablets offer as far speed, power,connectivity and networking....... A dedicated tablet would be a hard sale when today's tablets are so feature-rich.

With an able staff of programmers, PC could develop apps for all tablet OSs that could be transferred to CCR for cutting. The cost would be minimal to the enduser, especially to those who already have purchased a tablet. I am not sure there is a large enough group of PC users left that would be willing to purchase another pricey toy from PC on debut; thus, make the device immediately profitable for the company. The development of an app would take much less R&D and capital to get up and running.

Yes, I saw that. Im just reading between the lines. We shall see, it may be a totally different device that does not carry the gypsy name. That's all that line is saying, no device with a gypsy name.
jscraftylady Offline
#44 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 4:52:17 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Completely agree. Assuming the company has an interest in portability if PC goes with anything other than an app for iOS and Android devices, they will be making a mistake.
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
GracefulGrammar on 5/10/2013(UTC)
ellamap Offline
#45 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 7:41:10 PM(UTC)
ellamap

Was thanked: 364 time(s) in 198 post(s)

Joyce

My first Gypsy died when it was close to 2 years. It wasn't an update that killed it or lack of use. I guess it was just it's time. I agree with you on electronics. You and I could buy the same phone at the same time and one will die or have problems and the other may not.
Some say updates kill the gypsy and machines. But not every gypsy or machine dies from the updates. There are so many variances it would be hard to deduct the reason for early deaths.
As far as CCR, it can't be said PC is trying to make everyone use it. They still make physical carts. Never have they told us they are only going to have digital carts. I wish people would stop saying that. It just makes others worried and upset for no reason. Of course, that may be what they're going for!
It's good when some have good luck with their electronics. I haven't had any problem with my Expression or AE2. That doesn't mean others haven't. I consider myself lucky. I guess it just bothers me because some make it sound as if every Gypsy dies and it's from an update. Or every update is a hazard to your machines, when in reality there are plenty of users who update without a problem.
jscraftylady Offline
#46 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 8:52:19 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: ellamap Go to Quoted Post
My first Gypsy died when it was close to 2 years. It wasn't an update that killed it or lack of use. I guess it was just it's time. I agree with you on electronics. You and I could buy the same phone at the same time and one will die or have problems and the other may not.
Some say updates kill the gypsy and machines. But not every gypsy or machine dies from the updates. There are so many variances it would be hard to deduct the reason for early deaths.
As far as CCR, it can't be said PC is trying to make everyone use it. They still make physical carts. Never have they told us they are only going to have digital carts. I wish people would stop saying that. It just makes others worried and upset for no reason. Of course, that may be what they're going for!
It's good when some have good luck with their electronics. I haven't had any problem with my Expression or AE2. That doesn't mean others haven't. I consider myself lucky. I guess it just bothers me because some make it sound as if every Gypsy dies and it's from an update. Or every update is a hazard to your machines, when in reality there are plenty of users who update without a problem.

No official Cricut update should ever render a machine unusable. Period.
 3 users thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
LazyBee on 5/11/2013(UTC), GracefulGrammar on 5/11/2013(UTC), BJR on 5/12/2013(UTC)
GracefulGrammar Offline
#47 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:04:24 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Linked carts continue to be offered for sale and sold on this MB.....
Calmom Offline
#48 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:15:52 PM(UTC)
Calmom

Linked carts continue to be offered for sale and sold on this MB.....

Yep, even after being Reported 4 times Laugh LOL Laugh It is the Pick and Choose Theory.
Ken's Kreations Offline
#49 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:28:38 PM(UTC)
Ken's Kreations

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1949 time(s) in 499 post(s)
IT IS SAD.....BECAUSE I FELT LIKE I WAS PICKED OUT OF THE GROUP AND THE EMAIL WAS VERY DIRECT AND TO THE POINT.....I WISH IT WAS MORE CONSISTENT.....THIS IS WHY PEOPLE GO TO SELL ON EBAY OR OTHER FACEBOOK FORUMS.....
 1 user thanked Ken's Kreations for this useful post.
Calmom on 5/12/2013(UTC)
Calmom Offline
#50 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:34:58 AM(UTC)
Calmom

Originally Posted by: Ken's Kreations Go to Quoted Post
IT IS SAD.....BECAUSE I FELT LIKE I WAS PICKED OUT OF THE GROUP AND THE EMAIL WAS VERY DIRECT AND TO THE POINT.....I WISH IT WAS MORE CONSISTENT.....THIS IS WHY PEOPLE GO TO SELL ON EBAY OR OTHER FACEBOOK FORUMS.....

Sorry Ken, you must not be one of the favorites Crying Crying