Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
sewnmachine Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 2:54:32 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 251 post(s)
I'm not griping about this necessarily, but I always feel bad for a new poster that has just bought a new Cricut and needs help importing images or cut files.

I can almost feel the horrible realization that comes over them when they discover - no you can't design your own images unless you own the cartridge, or - no you can't download cut files from the internet, or - no you can't cut (or print) fonts from your computer. etc....etc....

Is there some kind of misleading advertising on the boxes that lead people to believe the Cricut has all of these capabilities? Or are there some videos that espouse the notion that you can create your own designs, but omit the fact that you must own the cartridge (physical or digital) to do this??

And every single time, after realizing that the Cricut can't do what they expected, the machine is returned. And we can all guess which machine they are going to buy that WILL do what they want.

This confusion probably results in yet another nay-sayer that will have nothing good to say about Cricut because - - - - - they didn't do their homework or - - - - they feel they were duped.

Why is this happening?

Edited by user Saturday, May 11, 2013 2:57:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scrapalette Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:08:07 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19152 time(s) in 8566 post(s)
When 3rd party software makers removed the Cricut component from their software, current owners of said software could continue to use it. Even to this day. There are lots of blogs and pins on pinterest where the project is made with a Cricut and an old 3rd party software version but there is no indication that the combo will no longer work.

Just today I saw a post on FB with a free file for your Cricut. It wasn't a .ccr file or .cut or .gypsy and many people started asking how could they cut that with their Cricut. Only then did the person mention the old version of the software.

It is kinda confusing to the person who is just getting into the electronic die cutting world.

Scrappy_Vee Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:07:03 PM(UTC)
Scrappy_Vee

New Zealand

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 213 post(s)
I think most people do their research before shelling out big $$$ for a die cutting system. I knew before purchasing my first Cricut that I was buying a cartridge based system.

My needs have changed since then and further research shows that I have options. I can buy another machine to do the things I can't do with my carts or I can spend more time with CCR and learn how to manipulate images to do the things I want to do. It is possible!!

I do see the merits of owning both systems and in the future I may do just that. But the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I learnt that from researching.

sewnmachine Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:42:40 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 371 time(s) in 251 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
When 3rd party software makers removed the Cricut component from their software, current owners of said software could continue to use it. Even to this day. There are lots of blogs and pins on pinterest where the project is made with a Cricut and an old 3rd party software version but there is no indication that the combo will no longer work.

Just today I saw a post on FB with a free file for your Cricut. It wasn't a .ccr file or .cut or .gypsy and many people started asking how could they cut that with their Cricut. Only then did the person mention the old version of the software.

It is kinda confusing to the person who is just getting into the electronic die cutting world.

Maybe that's where the confusion lies. My son even got me the SCAL program not realizing that it would no longer work in my Cricuts. (now I regret updating my first Baby Bug - but what's done is done).

jscraftylady Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:13:21 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 2350 time(s) in 1263 post(s)
I can tell you from experience people do NOT do their research. Black Friday every single year at Michael's (and sometimes Walmart) is filled with folks who know absolutely nothing about Cricut but think they want one. For the last several years, I have filled my cart with the stuff I want and then spent an hour correcting women's misconceptions about the Cricut and more recently the Craftroom.

Honestly, the statements on the boxes about thousands of images and unleashing your creativity do give folks the wrong impression. I answer the same questions every year over and over again.

-No, the thousands of images do not come with the machine. You need to buy cartridges. (Insert shock at how expensive they are. I advise watching sales and buying on eBay).

-No, you can not cut your own images although you can manipulate Cricut images and fonts with the free software. (In year's past, I told people about Design Studio and the Gypsy).

-No, you cannot cut the fonts on your computer.

-No, the machine does not print. I have run across women who think that all Cricuts also print.

No, the machine does not have a print and cut feature. (This was a HUGE misconception when the Imagine was in the Walmart Black Friday sale. Women were insisting you could use it to print your own pictures and cut them out. Many women simply did not believe me and continued to insist they were right. I hope they weren't too disappointed).

No, you can't weld those letters together without using software or a Gypsy.

No, it's not at all like a Sizzix.

No, I would not count on that third-party software your friend told you about working with this new machine.

About half the women call it a "Cry-cut." That's how little research they have done.

1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
BJR on 5/12/2013(UTC)
Bugsy2 Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:23:17 PM(UTC)
Bugsy2

Was thanked: 474 time(s) in 335 post(s)
"About half the women call it a "Cry-cut." That's how little research they have done."

jscraftylady, that statement made me laugh out loud!!
 1 user thanked Bugsy2 for this useful post.
jscraftylady on 5/11/2013(UTC)
jkrflutenpicc7d12cddd Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:55:24 PM(UTC)
jkrflutenpicc7d12cddd

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bugsy2 Go to Quoted Post
"About half the women call it a "Cry-cut." That's how little research they have done."

jscraftylady, that statement made me laugh out loud!!

It drives me nuts every time I hear someone mis-pronounce Cricut! Almost as much as it annoys me to hear someone say "nucular" when it's nuclear! Glare
jscraftylady Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:00:53 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

I asked my husband to help me think of the other questions I have gotten at stores and especially on Black Friday and he came up with a few more.

-Yes, the Lite cartridges will work with any machine. (When they were on sale at Walmart on Black Friday, there were women who believed they could not use the Lite carts because they thought you could only use them on a machine that was purchased at Walmart and they had purchased their machines elsewhere. Just last week, a woman at Michael's was telling her friend that you can only use Lite carts in the Mini machine.)

-No, the machines do not cut out pieces of wood.

-No, you can't install a font from a Cricut cart on your computer.

-I have had to answer a million questions about the differences between the machines. (The misconceptions about the Expression 2 that I heard Black Friday of last year were numerous and sometimes outrageous. Women were talking about how they had to get an Expression 2 over the Mini or the Expression because the new cartridges would only work with the Expression 2. Some thought the Expression 2 could weld on its own. Some thought it could print like the Imagine. I spoke to several women who were sure only the Expression 2 could handle vinyl. I don't know where these things come from.)

-No, you don't have to buy a new mat for every project.

-No, there aren't "tons" of free images online that you can cut with a new Cricut. I assume this misconception is related to those bloggers that still use third-party software.

It doesn't help things when the employees at Michael's have no idea what the products do. When I bought my Gypsy, the cashier asked me what it was and before I could answer, another cashier told her it was for storing your photos.Glare
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
BJR on 5/12/2013(UTC)
MaryScraps Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 6:29:13 AM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6924 time(s) in 2819 post(s)
Part of the problem to is ppl misinform ppl or don't clearly explain things.

Unfortunately I had misinformation about the other machines too.

Here to find out it really didn't do what ppl said it could do.

They just talked it up because they had a beef with PC.

There is so many varities of cutters out there ppl think if one cutter does it they all can.

Thats not the case.

1 user thanked MaryScraps for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 5/12/2013(UTC)
deleted Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 6:42:58 AM(UTC)
deleted

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Just curious, Scrapbooking_Grandma - what didn't work for you like you were told. Not starting any beefs - I was just wondering. So far I have been able to do far beyond what I thought I could do - but I was more than a little confused when I first started - LOL!
Di&Co Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:07:56 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 22320 time(s) in 5446 post(s)
People don't do their research plain and simple. When I got a free machine for the school, I offered to come and teach them how to use it and they refused saying they knew all about it. OK. THey didn't and when the cricut didnt do what they wanted it to do, they were mad. If they'd only let me help them, they would have had a better start.

I think it's just human nature. As in most things, nobody reads up on the product they want to buy. Too bad, it's a wonderful machine, I should know I only have 4 of them!Wink
BJR Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:12:43 AM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post

It doesn't help things when the employees at Michael's have no idea what the products do. When I bought my Gypsy, the cashier asked me what it was and before I could answer, another cashier told her it was for storing your photos.Glare

Been there oh so many times, I am also informing store clerks what each machine does and does not do. Most do not even know that the machine is even sold there! BJR.
MaryStillman Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:32:03 AM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1255 time(s) in 797 post(s)
The only reason I purchased a cricut was because of the 3rd party software, and I got in just under the wire! A lot of people bought a cricut because of the 3rd party software.

I agree about the boxes being misleading. When I purchased the mini, although by then I knew about the cartridges, I found the box misleading. The requirements are stated on the bottom of the box in small letters. Just reading the top and sides of the box does not make it clear that you need an internet connection to use the machine, and that thousands of images are not free. "Hurray for free images!" and describes the basic font and shape cartridge as having "amazing images." I had to laugh when I read that.

Thanks JSCraftyLady for honestly answering peoples' questions about what cricuts can and cannot do.

I also think part of the problem is when people come here to do research, we need to continue to make it clear that the machines are great, BUT, it is a cartridge driven system, and the mini needs to be connected to the internet to work. It will not work without an internet connection. Remember, gypsy machines are not available any longer through cricut. It is CCR or nothing. And, of course, lastly it won't work with their computer fonts, 3rd party software and svg files.

I don't use CCR because of the spyware, and my internet connection sometimes cuts off. I do use the web version just to do some designing when I want a larger screen then the gypsy. But, I do think it is a very nice free software for people that have an internet connection that is stable.

Provo Craft, please a non-internet based CCR! I would even pay for it!

Mary
jscraftylady Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:58:26 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: Scrapbooking_Grandma Go to Quoted Post
Part of the problem to is ppl misinform ppl or don't clearly explain things.

Unfortunately I had misinformation about the other machines too.

Here to find out it really didn't do what ppl said it could do.

They just talked it up because they had a beef with PC.

There is so many varities of cutters out there ppl think if one cutter does it they all can.

Thats not the case.

I was curious too about what you heard. I did some light research on my other machine and like the previous poster have determined I can do so much more than what was frequently promoted. You statement just made me curious about what other people were claiming.
jscraftylady Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:00:09 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: MaryStillman Go to Quoted Post
The only reason I purchased a cricut was because of the 3rd party software, and I got in just under the wire! A lot of people bought a cricut because of the 3rd party software.

I agree about the boxes being misleading. When I purchased the mini, although by then I knew about the cartridges, I found the box misleading. The requirements are stated on the bottom of the box in small letters. Just reading the top and sides of the box does not make it clear that you need an internet connection to use the machine, and that thousands of images are not free. "Hurray for free images!" and describes the basic font and shape cartridge as having "amazing images." I had to laugh when I read that.

Thanks JSCraftyLady for honestly answering peoples' questions about what cricuts can and cannot do.

I also think part of the problem is when people come here to do research, we need to continue to make it clear that the machines are great, BUT, it is a cartridge driven system, and the mini needs to be connected to the internet to work. It will not work without an internet connection. Remember, gypsy machines are not available any longer through cricut. It is CCR or nothing. And, of course, lastly it won't work with their computer fonts, 3rd party software and svg files.

I don't use CCR because of the spyware, and my internet connection sometimes cuts off. I do use the web version just to do some designing when I want a larger screen then the gypsy. But, I do think it is a very nice free software for people that have an internet connection that is stable.

Provo Craft, please a non-internet based CCR! I would even pay for it!

Mary

Yes, the packaging on the Mini is very confusing. You do have to hunt to get the full scoop and even then it's not entirely clear. I even encountered Cricut owners who were confused about the need to an internet connection or a Gypsy to use it.
ottergirl Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 10:34:52 PM(UTC)
ottergirl

Was thanked: 175 time(s) in 142 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jkrflutenpicc7d12cddd Go to Quoted Post
It drives me nuts every time I hear someone mis-pronounce Cricut! Almost as much as it annoys me to hear someone say "nucular" when it's nuclear! Glare

It drove me crazy to hear President Geo. Bush mispronounce nuclear EVERY TIME. Where were his press people? ThumbDown
scrapalette Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 4:46:23 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

There are misconceptions about every die cutter {and probably every product of any type} on the market.

I've come across people who think if they can find an image on the internet, they have the "rights" to use it. . .even the big stuff like Disney and Star Wars and images everyone knows is copyrighted.

I've had people think they can sell anything they make with the images they buy for a software based cutter when in fact, you need a commercial license to sell even one project using only one image. And, individual designers have their own TOU, even for free files, that users should follow.

I've had people tell me they thought the only images on a cart were the ones pictured on the back of the cart box.

I've had people tell me they don't want to use CCR because they don't want to be tied to their computer so they'll just get another brand cutter not realizing they will need to be connected to their computer {just not the internet} to craft.

It goes on and on.
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
TiffysMom on 5/15/2013(UTC)
jscraftylady Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 8:35:04 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

There are misconceptions about every die cutter {and probably every product of any type} on the market.

I've come across people who think if they can find an image on the internet, they have the "rights" to use it. . .even the big stuff like Disney and Star Wars and images everyone knows is copyrighted.

I've had people think they can sell anything they make with the images they buy for a software based cutter when in fact, you need a commercial license to sell even one project using only one image. And, individual designers have their own TOU, even for free files, that users should follow.

I've had people tell me they thought the only images on a cart were the ones pictured on the back of the cart box.

I've had people tell me they don't want to use CCR because they don't want to be tied to their computer so they'll just get another brand cutter not realizing they will need to be connected to their computer {just not the internet} to craft.

It goes on and on.

I've come across this,too. It won't help everyone but a QR code on the back would allow folks to scan and see ALL the images on their smartphone or tablet. Just an idea.

And yes, I might not have the rights to licensed images and copyrighted material but I cut the heck out of Star Wars, Disney, NFL, Game of Thrones, etc., stuff with my other cutter for my own personal pages and projects and I love it!BigGrin
scrapalette Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 9:17:29 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

I've come across this,too. It won't help everyone but a QR code on the back would allow folks to scan and see ALL the images on their smartphone or tablet. Just an idea.

And yes, I might not have the rights to licensed images and copyrighted material but I cut the heck out of Star Wars, Disney, NFL, Game of Thrones, etc., stuff with my other cutter for my own personal pages and projects and I love it!BigGrin

It's still copyright infringement. That's another big misconception out there. . .if you don't profit from it, it's OK. But it's not. Sad
RockinRobin1 Offline
#20 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 9:32:46 AM(UTC)
RockinRobin1

United States

Was thanked: 1235 time(s) in 671 post(s)

-No, the machines do not cut out pieces of wood.

Yes, but didn't one of the infomercials show them cutting small flat pieces of balsa wood? I think it was the infomercial that was promoting the Cricut Sampler cartridge and came with instructional DVDs.
jscraftylady Offline
#21 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 1:10:13 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

It's still copyright infringement. That's another big misconception out there. . .if you don't profit from it, it's OK. But it's not. Sad

I'll be sure to watch out for enforcement authorities in my own house.LOL Personally and morally, I feel just fine about decorating my personal scrapbook pages with whatever artwork I can find online. Of course, I am a crook already. I watch shows on the BBC online BEFORE they make it over to PBS. I draw the line at spoiling my friends about Downton Abbey, though.
MaryScraps Offline
#22 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 2:46:20 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6924 time(s) in 2819 post(s)
Nice try ladies but, I'm not even going bite on that one. BigGrin
This isn't the time or the place.
I didn't keep notes on every misconception on all the variations of machines out there.
Nor am I going to sit here trying to find all that info all over again.
It's not that important to me.
I was just making a general statement about the misconceptions of the different cutters.

jscraftylady Offline
#23 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 2:56:00 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: RockinRobin1 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, but didn't one of the infomercials show them cutting small flat pieces of balsa wood? I think it was the infomercial that was promoting the Cricut Sampler cartridge and came with instructional DVDs.

I seem to recall that. They definitely had an online ad that listed wood as one of the things it would cut. I never have determined whether that is true. I have that real wood paper which cuts fine but it is very, very thin. I had a woman behind me in line who wanted to use this machine in woodworking. I believe there was a Pazzles that actually cut wood and she had gotten confused.
Samomom Offline
#24 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 4:43:14 PM(UTC)
Samomom

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Di&Co. Go to Quoted Post
People don't do their research plain and simple. When I got a free machine for the school, I offered to come and teach them how to use it and they refused saying they knew all about it. OK. THey didn't and when the cricut didnt do what they wanted it to do, they were mad. If they'd only let me help them, they would have had a better start.

I think it's just human nature. As in most things, nobody reads up on the product they want to buy. Too bad, it's a wonderful machine, I should know I only have 4 of them!Wink

I got a free one for our school too. I would have been only too happy to teach some staff and parents how to use it had one of the staff or teachers not stolen it!

Bugsy2 Offline
#25 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 5:01:10 PM(UTC)
Bugsy2

Was thanked: 474 time(s) in 335 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Samomom Go to Quoted Post
I got a free one for our school too. I would have been only too happy to teach some staff and parents how to use it had one of the staff or teachers not stolen it!

What??? Honestly, some people will steal anything that's not nailed down.. sometimes they'll come armed with a crowbar just in case. Seriously though, it drives me nuts when people do that. The nerve!!!Mad

MaryStillman Offline
#26 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 5:04:27 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1255 time(s) in 797 post(s)

LOL. I guess I better stop singing along to the radio!

Mary
Selena Offline
#27 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 7:46:34 PM(UTC)
Selena

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 308 post(s)

Game of Thrones, really? Can you pm me pics :)
jscraftylady Offline
#28 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 7:58:04 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: Selena Go to Quoted Post
Game of Thrones, really? Can you pm me pics :)

I have cut all the sigils (of my favorite houses). I used them with my Yudu to make tote bags. My husband couldn't find a Greyjoy sigil online he really liked so he made his own in Illustrator and I cut it in heat transfer flocking and put it on a hoodie for him. My favorite project so far is my t-shirt with two mod looking crows cut with my other machine with "dark wings, dark words." I hope I don't run into George R.R. Martin or anyone from HBO.

Are you a book reader or a show watcher or both? I don't judge.
JoyceG Offline
#29 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 8:23:27 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 938 time(s) in 609 post(s)

I was never told that BUT...I was guilty of believing that the only images I could cut was pictured on the backs. And this is mostly true for some cartridges, such as the lites and the friends (disney, sponge Bob...) lines. One never knows what all is on a full cartridge until they check it out on CCR. And I believe that is why I bought so many carts recently..I just started using CCR and discovered so much more on carts than I thought there was.

Joyce

DBCMC Offline
#30 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:46:56 AM(UTC)
DBCMC

United States

Was thanked: 1598 time(s) in 919 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
Maybe that's where the confusion lies. My son even got me the SCAL program not realizing that it would no longer work in my Cricuts. (now I regret updating my first Baby Bug - but what's done is done).

Not 100% sure about this, but someone told me that you can back out the updates and then it will work.