Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

doug.audrey047cf47c Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 1:40:01 AM(UTC)
doug.audrey047cf47c

Groups: Registered

I am a newbie and have just bought the above machine. Decided to use a die but find there is too much space and the plates do not move through. I have only the A and 2 B plates that come with the cuttlebug. Have ordered a C plate as well as a metal plate and a shim? Is the C plate thinner than a B plate. Most of the instructions say place A plate one B plate your die facing up card stock and other B plate put there is too much of a gap and the roller will not take it through. Also with the embossing too big of gap. Can someone please help as I know it will be simple. Thanks
MamaC Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:04:11 AM(UTC)
MamaC

United States

Was thanked: 1542 time(s) in 640 post(s)
Welcome to the world of Cuttlebug! This little machine is my all-time favorite!! I have developed lots of ideas/tips/techniques using the Cuttlebug.

There is a learning curve for using the plates. The regular dies with the foam cutting surface will require A plate, B plate, die (with blades turned up), paper (front facing blades), and B plate.

To emboss, use the A plate, B plate, the paper inside embossing folder, and B plate.

Using the thin Sizzex dies require the use of the C plate. I am glad you have ordered the C plate. You will use it often. Even the Cuttlebug requires the C plate when you are cutting the long quilled flowers and Cuttlebug rosette dies. The sandwich for that is C plate, B plate, die (blades turned up), B plate.

The very thick dies by Sizzex and Tim Holtz are different! The sandwich is B plate, die (blades up), paper, B plate.

If the cut or embossing is not as defined as you would like it, add a piece of cardstock between the bottom plate and die/folder. You can add another piece of you wish, but be careful! Too many pieces of cardstock can damage or break the machine.

Also, there may be times when it seems the plates will not go through the machine. Just give it a little nudge. If that doesn't work, take a piece of the cardstock out and try again. Never forcibly push the 'sandwich' through. If the handle flips back on you...take that as a hint! Your Cuttlebug may break!

Here is a link to my blog for a variety of posts/tips/techniques!

All about the Cuttlebug!

Enjoy your new crafting machine! I know I do...I have 3 (had 4, but one broke...my fault)

Edited by user Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:07:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: correct a typo! and add another tip!

2 users thanked MamaC for this useful post.
Havetoomuchstuff on 5/20/2013(UTC), BJR on 6/3/2013(UTC)
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:27:54 PM(UTC)
doug.audrey047cf47c

Thank you MamaC. That was helpful. I have had a play since I last posted and things are a little more clearer. Another question. What gram paper should you use especially with the metal dies. I know they say cardstock but when I look there are so many weights. I have some other dies (not Cuttlebug) and have difficulty getting them to cut. Do not have any cuttlebug dies at this point as the supply here is very minimal. Will have to have a look on line.
MamaC Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 2:08:34 AM(UTC)
MamaC

United States

Was thanked: 1542 time(s) in 640 post(s)
Are you writing about the cardstock that I use in the 'sandwich'? If so, I use a thick cardstock; however, any weight paper can be used. This is a 'trial by error' process because each Cuttlebug machine is a little different. I would begin with a light weight paper and experiment until you find the weight that works best with your machine.

If you are wanting to know about cardstock/paper for cutting the images, again, I would say to experiment. Keep a sample of your trial cuts and become familiar with how well each paper cuts or embosses. That is how I learned.

Hope this helps.
Carolyn/MamaC
#5 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 2:32:47 PM(UTC)
doug.audrey047cf47c

Thanks. Yes I see it is trial and error. Experience too of course. Will learn as I go along.
Bugsy2 Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 5:56:43 PM(UTC)
Bugsy2

Was thanked: 450 time(s) in 320 post(s)
It is definitely worth learning! I love love love my cuttlebug!!! Love