Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

WENLAY Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:28:06 AM(UTC)
WENLAY

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I have recently gotten in to baking and decorating cakes. I am interested in purchasing a cake mini even though I will have to buy from an individual. I have an Expression as well as an Imagine so I am educated in the "Cricuts". I was just wanting feedback on whether to pursue or not?

Thank you
LindainWA Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:35:25 AM(UTC)
LindainWA

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 941 time(s) in 551 post(s)
I bought the cake expression over a year ago and only used it a couple of times. I could not for the life of me get it to cute w/o making a mess. I keep it on top of my refrigerator and will bring it out when my original one dies. Hope you can get one to work like I see others do. For me it was just frustration even with watching all the videos.
CowgirlUp Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:58:43 PM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 890 time(s) in 724 post(s)
there is a HUGE learning curve to it. Its going to be a lot trial and error to get anything to cut out and it can very from use to use based on the moisture levels of your product and the humidity in the air can effect the way it will cut out. Please don't think I am trying to discourage you from getting it, I just want you know you shouldn't expect perfect results out of the box. most of the negative reviews on the cake machines are due to people expecting professional cakes first time they cut anything and that just isn't going to be the case. I haven't used my Cake machine too many times. Once for cutting out baby items shapes out of fondant to celebrate the birth of my friend's son. once for cutting letters out of sugar sheets for a 60th birthday cake. I just really played around settings and simple images to get the decorations done. I love my machine when I have used it. I just have to go into using it with the mind set that things won't be prefect 1st try.

Keep in mind too since the machine has been discontinued you may have trouble finding blades, and mats however they both seem to last a very long time. Hope this helps.
BJR Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 4:13:11 PM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
Check out the cake machine area and posts. I have it and the mini and am happy. I just haven't had time lately to use it. You can also cut Wilton Sugar sheets on it. Check out cricutmachine.com for clearance supplies- great deals. Also may still be a chefs hat on rewards here. BJR.
Bugsy2 Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:00:59 AM(UTC)
Bugsy2

Was thanked: 449 time(s) in 319 post(s)
I wanted to get a cricut cake. Never did. I almost regret getting one. Almost. I would like it for simply doing letters. This is the kind of cake decorating that I do... I hope the pic attaches.
Bugsy2 attached the following image(s):
Easter Cake.jpg
Happy Easter.jpg
WereWolf Cake.JPG
Leanner Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:41:48 AM(UTC)
Leanner

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1525 time(s) in 1126 post(s)
I have the original cake and have only used it a couple of times. I had good results with premade gum paste. It worked quite well and it the cut didn't succeed, I could just reroll it.

I have some experience using the sugar/frosting sheets because I used to do demos at the J's that I work at.
I learned not to let the sheets dry out or they will crack when you try to cut them.

BTW my J's still has a new one in the back but out of it's box. I wonder if any other stores have any left.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:42:44 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1448 time(s) in 1154 post(s)
I have never used a cake machine, but I think if I ever came across one for the right price, I would get one.