Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

close0to0meeb37269b Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 5:58:32 AM(UTC)
close0to0meeb37269b

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone!! Just wondering if you could help me out a little! I'm just starting to dive deeper into my cricut and have been trying to cut fabric... ( with no success! ). So far I have destroyed a mat and several pieces of fabric! I know it's possible and have seen it down on YouTube! My only guess is I'm using the wrong type of fabric. It's for a appliqué on a baby blanket so I wanted something soft but that doesn't seem to be working! Any suggestions on what type of fabric to use would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone! I'm due November 9th but feel this little man is coming early so I gotta get my butt in gear with this blanket!
Sherri Kay Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:42:35 PM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2413 time(s) in 2165 post(s)
I've read on this board that you need to use something like Heat and Bond to stiffen the fabric first. Hopefully someone who has done this before comes to your rescue here! Huh
KimRomig Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:27:46 AM(UTC)
KimRomig

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 73 post(s)
When I got a new mat and new blade, the fabric cut very well. Also, though I tried several different stabilizers, Heat-n-Bond was the only one that worked. I don't know if the Heat-n-Bond Lite would work the same, but if it did, then you can sew through that. Last, there are specific settings for your machine, which I can't remember off the top of my head, but should be available somewhere on this site. Good luck!
LilMsG Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:34:10 PM(UTC)
LilMsG

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I use the heat & bond on the fabric, the fabrics I use are the fabric quarters you would use for quilts. I have tried other fabric but only the cotton works well. I place the fabric on the mat with the heat & bond facing the sticky part of the mat. I have done it with the paper on and off and it works the same. My settings depend on what I am cutting. If it is a simple pattern I use highest for pressure,6 for blade and high for speed. If the pattern I am cutting has alot of detail I slow the speed down but keep the blade on 6 and pressure on highest.

I cut fabric on my cricut more than I use it for anything else. I make custom childrens clothes and have never had a problem cutting fabric. Hope this helps.
tabetha16f764606f Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:15:24 PM(UTC)
tabetha16f764606f

I am very frustrated with my Cricut Expression 2. My friend had the older version, I used it and loved it! I got the Exp. 2 and it has ripped everything to shreds! I called customer service and got a new blade, which was a metal housing instead of a plastic one which its better when I cut on paper but when I cut on vinyl or fabric its pulling and tearing. On fabric I am using standard cotton, slowest speed, deepest setting and pressure and heat n bond.

Any advise??
LilMsG Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:31:43 PM(UTC)
LilMsG

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Ok I use my Cricut to cut fabric 90% of the time. It sounds to me like you need a new blade. I know you probably got a new blade with the new housing but when I fist got my Expression 2 with the metal housing I had the same problem you are experiencing. I purchased a new blade and it worked like a charm.
SouthernVintage Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:03:56 PM(UTC)
SouthernVintage

United States

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 713 post(s)
I know others have had good luck with the regular H&B, but I always had to use the Heat N Bond ULTRA. It is firmer and cut much better for me. Just an idea.BigGrin

Edited by user Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:04:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified