Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

strife_designf5f0ed33 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:36:27 PM(UTC)
strife_designf5f0ed33

Groups: Registered

Just printed my first Thank You card after setting up my new Cricut, worked great! All I want to use this machine for is fonts. I'm a little confused though, after scrolling few many of the fonts in the font list I finally found ONE that I liked went to CUT and I was prompted to pay $30!!! for one font!,... seriously!? and then I need a physical cartridge to make it work!? I had no idea there was this kind of outrageous extra expense and inconvenience involved with this machine. Mad

I assumed I would plug it in and start cutting, am I missing something somewhere...?
MaryStillman Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:49:12 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1241 time(s) in 788 post(s)
Most of the machines require a cartridge in the cartridge slot to cut, even if you are in CCR and cutting from digital carts.

The mini does not require a cartridge in the slot to cut, but it is not a stand alone machine, it needs an interface of either CCR or the Gypsy.

CCR does contain some free content every week (cards or images or a cartridge), but anything else you will need to own to cut.

Sorry for your frustration.

Mary
scrapalette Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:17:21 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18874 time(s) in 8416 post(s)
Originally Posted by: strife_designf5f0ed33 Go to Quoted Post
Just printed my first Thank You card after setting up my new Cricut, worked great! All I want to use this machine for is fonts. I'm a little confused though, after scrolling few many of the fonts in the font list I finally found ONE that I liked went to CUT and I was prompted to pay $30!!! for one font!,... seriously!? and then I need a physical cartridge to make it work!? I had no idea there was this kind of outrageous extra expense and inconvenience involved with this machine. Mad

I assumed I would plug it in and start cutting, am I missing something somewhere...?

Yes, the Cricut is a cart based cutter. You need to use images/fonts from Cricut carts to cut. Go to the shopping pages and check out the handbook for the font you like. Chances are there are more images on the cart than just one font.
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:57:24 PM(UTC)
strife_designf5f0ed33

I appreciate your help, I still can not justify spending more money on a few fonts than I spent on the whole machine. There has to be a way to use some of the hundreds of fonts I have installed on my computer already.

Does anyone know what file format you can import vector based images as? If I can't find a work around I will have to return this machine.

Very disappointing.
CowgirlUp Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:55:31 PM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 887 time(s) in 721 post(s)
With the cricut you have to have the cartridge (either buy the physical or the digital version) and there is not a way to import your own designs or fonts. That's just not the way the cricut is designed.

#6 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:06:10 PM(UTC)
strife_designf5f0ed33

After researching, it seems there has been legal issues that prevent this machine being used as logic would suggest.

I will be returning this machine tomorrow and will purchase a different brand that has the freedom to do what you would expect it to do, with out all the corporate greed.

Very disappointing, seriously would it have been that difficult to simply make your own designers version, I would have actually PAID extra for that!...ThumbDown
MaryStillman Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2013 3:22:28 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1241 time(s) in 788 post(s)
Originally Posted by: strife_designf5f0ed33 Go to Quoted Post
After researching, it seems there has been legal issues that prevent this machine being used as logic would suggest.

I will be returning this machine tomorrow and will purchase a different brand that has the freedom to do what you would expect it to do, with out all the corporate greed.

Very disappointing, seriously would it have been that difficult to simply make your own designers version, I would have actually PAID extra for that!...ThumbDown

There is a sale going on for another brand currently. You can get a smaller sized machine for the price of the mini.

If you can afford it, I would hang on to the Cricut machine you did purchase. There may come a time you want to use some of the free cuts in CCR. In time, the machine may pay for itself.

I have both the mini (love it!) and another brand. Although the other brand does cut any font on my machine, I really do like the fonts cricut has and those are specially designed to cut out as a die cut. I know others will take issue with this, just a preference I have.

I don't use CCR to cut. My internet connect can be spotty at times and I don't want to waste paper trying to cut something that may not finish cutting. I use something called a gypsy, which is unique to the cricut brand. I think there is only one other machine that has something similar for cutting. The gypsy also lets you design. Sadly, the gypsy has been discontinued. When my gypsy no longer works, if CCR is not a stand alone, I will probably sell it all off and just go with my other brand.

Mary

Edited by user Sunday, June 16, 2013 3:23:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified