Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MHenderson1 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2013 9:57:23 PM(UTC)
MHenderson1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hello,

I have a couple of question about the Spectrum Noir Markers. I was wondering do you have to use the paper that they sale, or is their some other card stock that will work equally as well for less money (it just seems that the card stock they sell for on their website is a bit pricey)? Also, I have heard some mixed reviews about the markers drying out really even when they have not been used a lot; has any one had major problems with this? Lastly, how do these compare to BIC Mark-its or Letraset ProMarkers? Any information will be appreciated.
sewnmachine Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 2:52:55 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 370 time(s) in 250 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MHenderson1 Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I have a couple of question about the Spectrum Noir Markers. I was wondering do you have to use the paper that they sale, or is their some other card stock that will work equally as well for less money (it just seems that the card stock they sell for on their website is a bit pricey)? Also, I have heard some mixed reviews about the markers drying out really even when they have not been used a lot; has any one had major problems with this? Lastly, how do these compare to BIC Mark-its or Letraset ProMarkers? Any information will be appreciated.

I had one marker that was dry right out of the package. I emailed the company and they quickly sent me a replacement marker free of charge, didn't even cost me shipping.

Paper - I have never used specialty paper for anything. For my white card stock I use the Walmart brand. The SN markers do bleed through the card stock, but Copics would also. Since I always do layering on my cards it really doesn't matter to me. It is advisable to not color right up to the edge on a stamped image so it doesn't bleed over the line.

Sharpies - I have a whole Sharpie collection. The SN blend perfectly with Sharpies. The reason I wanted the SN markers is that there is really no such thing as a pastel or light color with the Sharpies - despite what the cap color indicates. They are all very vibrant.

I absolutely love these markers. I would never consider buying Copics, they were way out of my price range. I'm not a professional artist. So, the SN suit my purposes completely.

1 user thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
MHenderson1 on 6/26/2013(UTC)
CricutCrazy Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 7:34:29 PM(UTC)
CricutCrazy

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1086 time(s) in 796 post(s)
I use Spectrum Noir pens almost very day. They are wonderful....and refillable ! You must be careful to replace your caps tightly on any alcohol marker as they evaporate (due to the alcohol) and dry out...but usually one will last for a long time when used properly.

I have them on sale in my Etsy shop, and you can also get a small pkg of the papers. It is super smooth , and coated to prevent soaking through . You should never try to color with porous cardstock as it will ruin your work with the bleeding. Sometimes I use some cheap paper to test the colors, but when I have an important image to stamp and color, I go for the better cardstock. You get what you pay for.
Love BigGrin
 1 user thanked CricutCrazy for this useful post.
SwimMom Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:55:04 AM(UTC)
SwimMom

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 81 post(s)
I first had Bic markers, which introduced me to the benefits of alcohol markers, are very inexpensive, and are something I don't mind sharing with my daughter. There are no soft, subtle, pastel colors, and not enough colors/shades to do any blending or shading.
I then started buying the lighter shades of Promarkers and have now collected all of them! I love them! I cannot compare SN as I have never used them. I do know that they are more easily available (can purchase with coupons) and are less expensive, but have heard some negatives about them. and the company Plus I had started collecting Promarkers before the SN were on the scene.
 1 user thanked SwimMom for this useful post.
sewnmachine Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:14:07 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Originally Posted by: CricutCrazy Go to Quoted Post
I use Spectrum Noir pens almost very day. They are wonderful....and refillable ! You must be careful to replace your caps tightly on any alcohol marker as they evaporate (due to the alcohol) and dry out...but usually one will last for a long time when used properly.

I have them on sale in my Etsy shop, and you can also get a small pkg of the papers. It is super smooth , and coated to prevent soaking through . You should never try to color with porous cardstock as it will ruin your work with the bleeding. Sometimes I use some cheap paper to test the colors, but when I have an important image to stamp and color, I go for the better cardstock. You get what you pay for.
Love BigGrin

I get what I can afford.

oldcole3c36d2eb Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:21:43 PM(UTC)
oldcole3c36d2eb

Was thanked: 491 time(s) in 179 post(s)
I love the Promarkers, don't know much about the SN markers. I've found the best source for promarkers is the Letraset site. They're great about shipping internationally (they are located in Great Britain) and free shipping for over $33!! Plus they use paypal. I've ordered most of my markers from them.

Linda from MN
 1 user thanked oldcole3c36d2eb for this useful post.
Khrista Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:01:23 PM(UTC)
Khrista

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 2512 time(s) in 1400 post(s)
I've been using Copics and just picked up a few Spectrum Noir pens. I can quickly see I like the Copics better. Different flow of ink. Spectrum colors nice enough. Paper, I asked that question not too long ago and one of the papers that a lot of people recommended to me was the Hammermill 80lb. Says Color Copy Digital Cover on the front of the package I got. Works great through my printers too. If you do a LOT of layering, the ink can be seen through the back but I've yet to have it soak into anything under it (and given that I'm pretty new to doing this, that says a lot :) ). I got mine off Amazon, but I have free shipping.

Hope that helps
:)Khrista
 1 user thanked Khrista for this useful post.
ellamap Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:18:06 PM(UTC)
ellamap

Was thanked: 378 time(s) in 205 post(s)
I love my Spectrum Noir markers. I haven't had any problems with any of them drying out.
I always layer my cards too. But, if I decide to color right on the card I have some heavy card stock. I can't remember the lb. right now.
I refused to pay for Copics. I am not a professional, so I don't need a marker made for them. I used my friend's and they do color nicely, tho!!
 1 user thanked ellamap for this useful post.
Dragonfly50 Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:58:08 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
I have both Copic and Spectrum Noir pens.

I started with Copic buying the one at a time at Michaels with coupons.
Then my daughter said "hey mom I have a bunch of those."
She said I could have them to use.
Of course she can use them whenever she wants. lol
I am still slowly building my collection for skin and hair colors.

Then I found Spectrum Noir sets at Joanns.
I started collecting the sets one at a time yep you guessed it with coupons. lol
When I bought them a few didn't have their tops on completely in the package so they were dried out.
I wish I would have thought to contact the company before I threw the packaging away because others have said the company replaced theirs for them when it happened to them.

I have and use both types of pens.

D~

Edited by user Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:47:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: ....

1 user thanked Dragonfly50 for this useful post.
DanaPhillips Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:16:20 PM(UTC)
DanaPhillips

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I also have both Copics and Spectrum Noir markers. I think the Spectrum Noir are a great deal for the price. I do think that the Copics blend a bit better and are easier to use but both types work and they blend together well. Here is a card I made using both:

Copic and Spectrum Noir card

2 users thanked DanaPhillips for this useful post.
MHenderson1 on 6/26/2013(UTC), rhondah* on 6/27/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:49:02 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Originally Posted by: Dragonfly50 Go to Quoted Post
I have both Copic and Spectrum Noir pens.

I started with Copic buying the one at a time at Michaels with coupons.
Then my daughter said "hey mom I have a bunch of those."
She said I could have them to use.
Of course she can use them whenever she wants. lol
I am still slowly building my collection for skin and hair colors.

Then I found Spectrum Noir sets at Joanns.
I started collecting the sets one at a time yep you guessed it with coupons. lol
When I bought them a few didn't have their tops on completely in the package so they were dried out.
I wish I would have thought to contact the company before I threw the packaging away because others have said the company replaced theirs for them when it happened to them.

I have and use both types of pens.

D~

I didn't have the packaging anymore either. I just went to their website and emailed them about the dry markers. I included the marker # that's on the cap and my address. They shipped one out to me.
 2 users thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
Dragonfly50 on 6/27/2013(UTC), MHenderson1 on 6/28/2013(UTC)
rhondah* Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:58:42 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 16309 time(s) in 9231 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DanaPhillips Go to Quoted Post
I also have both Copics and Spectrum Noir markers. I think the Spectrum Noir are a great deal for the price. I do think that the Copics blend a bit better and are easier to use but both types work and they blend together well. Here is a card I made using both:

Copic and Spectrum Noir card

Beyond cute! TFS
 1 user thanked rhondah* for this useful post.
EstherWheat on 6/27/2013(UTC)
EstherWheat Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:05:55 PM(UTC)
EstherWheat

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I had never heard of these so thanks for sharing. I have always thought Copic were too expensive so I avoided even starting...you know...one is OK but if you get more than two you have to have the whole collection..that is my mentality!!!!LOL LOL I will look into Spectrum Noir!
Annabella Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:00:11 PM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)
Spectrum Noir pens are great. I agree you need to be careful with replacing the caps. The company will replace the dried out ones with no problem at all.

I cannot afford the other markers so these are great for me.

I haven't invested in the better paper. I use Card stock from Staples. It's 120 pound an it is great. The markers bleed thru if you over do it, If you just color in the space with the several colors it is great. It does not pile up when you color it. And it makes for a great for a card base. This way I am able to save on the postage also.

I invested in the complete set and am learning to use them. It is really fun!!!

I know you will like these!!!
 1 user thanked Annabella for this useful post.
MHenderson1 on 6/28/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 10:46:20 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

I like how they blend with my Bic's and Sharpies. All of those markers are very vibrant, so when I got the SN lights and pastel collection I was very pleased. I don't use markers exclusively. I do alot of coloring with my colored pencils and odorless mineral spirits. So the SN markers are a good fit for me - and they are affordable.
MHenderson1 Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 4:26:44 PM(UTC)
MHenderson1

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thanks so much everyone for your answers and suggestions. I just ordered the Hammermill 80 lb paper since that was recommended by a few people. So far, I love the markers...I think I will love them even more once I find paper that stops the bleeding! I did run into a few dry markers so I will be giving the company a call to replace them. Once again, thank you all for your help!
peggytwa Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 4:52:20 AM(UTC)
peggytwa

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I love them and they are less expensive than copics. They carry them at Joanns and you can use your 40% off coupon with them!!!
FootballMom Offline
#18 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:29:25 PM(UTC)
FootballMom

Was thanked: 517 time(s) in 411 post(s)
I love the Spectrum Noirs and if they are dry the company will send you new ones. You don't have the packaging. The best paper that I have found, and I've tried a lot including the brand they say to use and then some, is Stampin' Up's Whisper White. Also when you color you need to use a light hand and stay away from the lines a little. Using a light hand will help with the bleeding. Just keep practicing and you will be good to go. There are a lot of videos on You Tube as well. They are a good marker, not as good as Copics, but like others have said, I'm not a pro at coloring so they are fine for me.
DeniseE Offline
#19 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 7:48:07 PM(UTC)
DeniseE

United States

Was thanked: 343 time(s) in 310 post(s)
Crafter's Companion Paper is awesome. I get it from AC Moore, and the price is nottoo bad as I only use it for stamping. I also only use Spectrum Noir Pens.....love them.

Denise