Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ottergirl Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2013 5:07:30 PM(UTC)
ottergirl

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 175 time(s) in 142 post(s)
Just wondering if anyone is having to deal with the San Francisco Bart strike. We've been watching the news and what a mess. We feel so bad for the commuters. Crying
jillieneIsaacs Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2013 8:05:49 PM(UTC)
jillieneIsaacs

Was thanked: 244 time(s) in 92 post(s)
i didn't watch the news tonight...So it happened and its ugly, huh? What a shame. Thank goodness for those that are able to telecommute. This is why I left the corporate world. The commute. it will kill you.
ottergirl Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:06:59 PM(UTC)
ottergirl

Guess it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Lots of people left for work about 1 hour or so early. (4am instead of 5am Scared ) They seemed to use that extra time waiting in line for a bus. One of our daughters, who lives Los Gatos in the Santa Cruz Mts) said her commute down 17 to 85 to Mt View wasn't too bad. She thinks that part of the ease was due to this being a holiday week and maybe people took the week off. Another daughter lives in the SC Mts also but goes south on 85 and never has a problem. The third daughter in Sunnyvale telecomuted. We also live in the Los Gatos-Campbell-Saratoga corner but are retired.

It will be a good thing when companies allow their employees the choice of going to work or telecomuting. its good for the company, less watercooler talk, saves gas, employees are always at work on time, don't have to worry about transportation strikes, the list goes on. As long as the work gets done, who cares where you are physically. Of course there will always be people like our middle daughter, dental hygenist, who have to go into work.

Where in Santa Clara Valley do you live? I've never seen anyone from this neck of the woods on this MB

Edited by user Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:08:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 1:51:45 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8024 time(s) in 4686 post(s)
My niece lives there and has to work a weird shift to avoid all the traffic. She goes in on second shift (even though her company doesn't have a second shift). I'm sure she's hoping the strike won't last too long.

Char
jillieneIsaacs Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:20:50 PM(UTC)
jillieneIsaacs

Was thanked: 244 time(s) in 92 post(s)
I live in San Jose - in that triangle between Amaden, cambrian and willow Glen - right by scrapbook island and michaels. its a blessing and a curse! I couldn't agree more about the telecommuting! driving in traffic is like throwing away moments of your life. I hope they can figure everything out. On one hand I feel for the workers b/c life is sooooo expensive here but on the other side, it is horrible for the commuters to have increases on the fares. it is so expensive already! I used to commute from SJ to SF to go to the Academy of Art and it was crazy how much money I spent on transportation. it would have been cheaper to drive my honda but then parking is $15/ day. Commuters can't get a break one way or another. :o) do you ever go to scrapbook island? its such a great LSS.
LazyBee Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 9:29:59 PM(UTC)
LazyBee

United States

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 305 post(s)
My husband commutes to San Jose...and I think he may have missed the commute problem as we were on vacay and the strike ended yesterday. I know it is pretty bad in both ways and he leaves about 4:30 each way and some days the commute is longer than 2 hours...we will see Monday when he goes back.
ottergirl Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 10:57:21 PM(UTC)
ottergirl

I go to scrapbook island sometimes for something special but find them to be fairly expensive. What is LSS? I rarely purchase anything without a coupon. My husband and I are both retired so I watch my pennies.

There are some really nice neighborhoods in the area where you live. I like that area. All this South Bay has changed so much. I grew up in San Mateo (as did my mother). When I was in high school part of the bay was being filled in to build Foster City. Going to see my Aunt and cousins in Los Gatos took forever as there was no 280. We took bay shore, el Camino, or skyline. Can hardly believe San Jose has almost a million people now. Scared

So many people and so many commuters. They transit system here is pretty good so it helps keep so many cars off the roads, which is great, but when the system breaks down for whatever reason, yikes, so many depend on it. Crying
CanadianRose Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:36:39 PM(UTC)
CanadianRose

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 863 time(s) in 455 post(s)
LSS - Local Scrapbook Store BigGrin