Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

15 Pages«<56789>»
KelleyRooks Offline
#181 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:32:31 PM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 529 time(s) in 432 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MOgoggingirl Go to Quoted Post
Have any of you been in the position of having all the pieces for a project done but then being too afraid to put them together for fear that it won't turn out like you envision? That's where I am. I have it all done, but don't want to mess up the final result by doing it wrong. I have been laying it out over and over to decide what looks best and just can't decide! Scared RollEyes

That's when you need a buddy on the board to give an opinion sometimes it feels better to know you are on the right track. We always tend to second guess ourselves. I am sure it looks fab, but if you need an opinion ask someone you are comfortable with or you can always send to me to Kelley_rooks@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

K
AltinaRobinson Offline
#182 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:13:22 PM(UTC)
AltinaRobinson

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Domino's painted, waiting for them to dry so I can seal them and the being work. I FINALLY got hit with some inspiration!

Ideas are starting to trickle in for my altered item. The item I have has some parts that cannot be removed so I have been slightly stumped but I think I have an idea :)
CraftyOldBat Online
#183 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:47:48 PM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States
Location: Massachusetts MQ Pg 9 Post # 247 Swap Questionnaire Pg 1 Post #8

Was thanked: 414 time(s) in 344 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AltinaRobinson Go to Quoted Post

Ideas are starting to trickle in for my altered item. The item I have has some parts that cannot be removed so I have been slightly stumped but I think I have an idea :)

Whenever I have an item with parts I can't remove my initial thoughts are a spray paint or sprays base, because your base can be a solid color. (Like Lindy's Flat Fabios which is color as opposed to just shimmer/glimmer)

Edited by user Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:48:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: extra word

scrappin'momma Offline
#184 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:17:46 AM(UTC)
scrappin'momma

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
It is official, I have found an item to alter!! Whoop!!! BigGrin Now, to be totally honest, I have never altered anything before so I'm jumping into this project head first. Crying I do need some advice though, and instead of trying to google the answer I thought I'd come straight to you ladies since you guys seem to be the professionals!

My item is wood, and has a design on the front that I intend to cover up. I thought I would either paint it or spray paint it. I then plan to cover it up with scrapbooking paper. I thought I would paint the entire thing, just in case I opt to leave the sides exposed. I don't want the ugly wood color to show through. Before I do either of those, do I need to sand it down first? Do you have any suggestions on choosing the right paint/spray paint? Any tips/tricks you have for dealing with wooden items would be greatly appreciated!! TIA!
JeanP Offline
#185 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:53:51 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Was thanked: 968 time(s) in 780 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrappin'momma Go to Quoted Post
It is official, I have found an item to alter!! Whoop!!! BigGrin Now, to be totally honest, I have never altered anything before so I'm jumping into this project head first. Crying I do need some advice though, and instead of trying to google the answer I thought I'd come straight to you ladies since you guys seem to be the professionals!

My item is wood, and has a design on the front that I intend to cover up. I thought I would either paint it or spray paint it. I then plan to cover it up with scrapbooking paper. I thought I would paint the entire thing, just in case I opt to leave the sides exposed. I don't want the ugly wood color to show through. Before I do either of those, do I need to sand it down first? Do you have any suggestions on choosing the right paint/spray paint? Any tips/tricks you have for dealing with wooden items would be greatly appreciated!! TIA!

If I was going to cover it with paper, I don't think I would sand it first.

Scrap2Do Offline
#186 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:01:33 PM(UTC)
Scrap2Do

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AltinaRobinson Go to Quoted Post

So excited to see what you are creating!!!

I have a couple of ideas in mind -- just haven't jumped on board to any ONE idea yet. :)
CraftyOldBat Online
#187 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:06:15 PM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States

I gessoed and base painted my item, and now for absolutely no reason at all, I think I've changed my mind!
planlady19 Offline
#188 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:54:14 PM(UTC)
planlady19

United States

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 267 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KelleyRooks Go to Quoted Post
That's when you need a buddy on the board to give an opinion sometimes it feels better to know you are on the right track. We always tend to second guess ourselves. I am sure it looks fab, but if you need an opinion ask someone you are comfortable with or you can always send to me to Kelley_rooks@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

K

but if it is pink watch out she will lure you to the dark side..LOL LOL

i am at dttyler@hotmail.com also.. I have done this a lot.

terri

JeanP Offline
#189 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:12:02 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: planlady19 Go to Quoted Post
but if it is pink watch out she will lure you to the dark side..LOL LOL

i am at dttyler@hotmail.com also.. I have done this a lot.

terri

I just finished a cute pink frame for a baby so I guess I'd best not ask for Kelley's opinionLOL LOL

KelleyRooks Offline
#190 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:40:48 PM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Originally Posted by: scrappin'momma Go to Quoted Post

There is always more than one way to go about things. Spray paint is my friend. When buying spray paint, more than brand, I look for type. General spray paint will work on wood. When I buy thing from the thrift store that are coated mdf I use a spray that will adhere to plastic.

You probably will need two coats at least depending on the images that are on it. If you are concerned with the image showing through you can coat with gesso first. You don't really need to sand unless you have some rough edges.

Please feel free to post any questions you have. I hope that helps.

KelleyRooks Offline
#191 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:51:23 PM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Tip of the day: Ephemera

In mixed media you can use all kinds of ephemera (found items). Junk drawers are full of hidden treasures. Thnk about savingsome thins that you would normally through out. Receipts, ticket stubs, paper clips, twist ties, bread bag tags, those little snips of left over ribbon you would normally toss, little metal left over pieces, screws, old keys, flyers, etc. I found some really cool metal drapery hangers for a penny!

LoriSjogren Offline
#192 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:17:09 PM(UTC)
LoriSjogren

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2632 time(s) in 1558 post(s)
I am ready to start my book... I am a little intimidated by it's small size, though!

Really OT: COB, I think that warning in your avatar is hilarious for more reasons than one. A friend of my husband came to Jersey to visit. He brought along his twin brother. We don't live too far from the city and went out for night on the town in the city. Well, let's just say, they got pretty happy and are probably one of the reasons that warning exists. Thankfully there was no nudity! LOL LOL LOL
 1 user thanked LoriSjogren for this useful post.
lauraa on 7/13/2013(UTC)
KelleyRooks Offline
#193 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 10:48:23 AM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Tip of the day: Splatter bleach, doodle with a paintbrush with it, etc. on cardstock, paper, etc. to get a cool effect. It takes the color away in those spots.
 3 users thanked KelleyRooks for this useful post.
JeanP on 7/12/2013(UTC), lauraa on 7/13/2013(UTC), LoriSjogren on 7/14/2013(UTC)
MOgoggingirl Offline
#194 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 3:37:07 PM(UTC)
MOgoggingirl

United States

Was thanked: 444 time(s) in 387 post(s)
Jeanene I mailed your altered item today. Label # 9505 5103 5008 3193 5295 88 I hope you enjoy your item. I had a great time doing it.BigGrin Laugh Cool

Edited by user Friday, July 12, 2013 3:37:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked MOgoggingirl for this useful post.
KelleyRooks on 7/13/2013(UTC)
Kazalah Offline
#195 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 5:55:58 AM(UTC)
Kazalah

United States

Was thanked: 718 time(s) in 284 post(s)
Checking in to say.... I set my altered item on fire yesterday LOL I learned a useful tip from it though... to control your fire dampen what you're setting on fire first Blushing

Lori
lauraa Offline
#196 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:10:42 AM(UTC)
lauraa

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Tip of the day: Ephemera

In mixed media you can use all kinds of ephemera (found items). Junk drawers are full of hidden treasures. Thnk about savingsome thins that you would normally through out. Receipts, ticket stubs, paper clips, twist ties, bread bag tags, those little snips of left over ribbon you would normally toss, little metal left over pieces, screws, old keys, flyers, etc. I found some really cool metal drapery hangers for a penny!

I'm going to the ephemera themed antique/flea market today. I can't wait to see what they have to inspire me. Admittedly I have other motives for going. I have a book of victorian trading cards and some old maps I need to see if I can use them or if I should sell them if worth anything. Crossing fingers. Last year they had a booth of pages from old books. Mostly postcards though. Everything is way overpriced, but fun to look at.
Have a good day!
LAura

Edited by user Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:11:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CraftyOldBat Online
#197 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 10:26:13 AM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States

I've been tasked with the Tip of the Day today so here goes...

CLIMB OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE!

Peruse Pinterest, Google Images, galleries (like on Split Coast Stampers), go to friends' blogs and follow the links for blogs that they like, go to designer's blogs.

If there's a product you like go to its website and see if they have a blog or a design team because DT members are required to make projects using the products they design for.

When you go to a new blog don't be afraid to dig around in the archives. A lot of the time you'll find projects they did when they were at their earlier stages of crafting, like you may be now, so you'll find them quite doable for you.

Look for free classes/workshops on the internet. Most you can do when it's convenient for you. Many artists/designers have Ustream channels now with tons of tutorials and it's free to sign up. When looking for tutorials on YouTube look for ones that have had views in the tens of thousands, chances are it was a good one!

Sometimes I land on sites that I could/would NEVER do what they do but might find one tip that really helps me...

Don't limit yourself to "craft" blogs, you never know how much insight you'll find a theme sites (ie; Halloween.com is loaded with technique, assemblage and crafting ideas because these folks make elaborate Halloween displays for work or hobby!!)

Don't forget just like learning to walk, you'll fall down sometimes but everybody does, it's not the end of the project..

3 users thanked CraftyOldBat for this useful post.
KelleyRooks on 7/13/2013(UTC), JeanP on 7/13/2013(UTC), LoriSjogren on 7/14/2013(UTC)
DeniseE Offline
#198 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:02:57 PM(UTC)
DeniseE

United States

Was thanked: 341 time(s) in 308 post(s)
I have the altered Domino done and am working on the altered item. I have it all planned, cut out and roughly set up....I am so proud of myself and ahead of the game, it is scary.

Denise
maria2193 Offline
#199 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:47:47 AM(UTC)
maria2193

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 115 post(s)
JCI!!!!!
MOgoggingirl Offline
#200 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:09:01 PM(UTC)
MOgoggingirl

United States

BigGrin I'm just waiting for Jeanene to let me know she received her pretty.Love Love
MOgoggingirl Offline
#201 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:10:03 PM(UTC)
MOgoggingirl

United States

Originally Posted by: Kazalah Go to Quoted Post
Checking in to say.... I set my altered item on fire yesterday LOL I learned a useful tip from it though... to control your fire dampen what you're setting on fire first Blushing

Lori

oops!Blink
KelleyRooks Offline
#202 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:30:15 PM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Here's what you can make with two old hat boxes..... (I made this for my niece's wedding to hold the favors)

KelleyRooks attached the following image(s):
photo.JPG
 2 users thanked KelleyRooks for this useful post.
LoriSjogren on 7/14/2013(UTC), lauraa on 7/15/2013(UTC)
JeanP Offline
#203 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:02:43 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Here's what you can make with two old hat boxes..... (I made this for my niece's wedding to hold the favors)

Lovely!!!!

Beanies Mom Offline
#204 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:29:23 PM(UTC)
Beanies Mom

United States
Location: MQ: Page 15 Post 431 / Joined Date Should Be 7/13/2006

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 70 post(s)
JCI. Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Debbie

Kelley love the Hat Boxes.

Edited by user Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:30:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Trying to type a complete thought. Difficult at times.

1 user thanked Beanies Mom for this useful post.
KelleyRooks on 7/15/2013(UTC)
LoriSjogren Offline
#205 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:01:03 PM(UTC)
LoriSjogren

United States

Was thanked: 2632 time(s) in 1558 post(s)

That is so beautiful and elegant!!
 1 user thanked LoriSjogren for this useful post.
KelleyRooks on 7/15/2013(UTC)
ksqueenb Offline
#206 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 9:30:38 PM(UTC)
ksqueenb

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 408 time(s) in 242 post(s)
JCI

I am ready to work on my domino book and have parts of it ready to go.

The altered item is really stumping me on this one. I think I will just have to start on it and if it works great and if not Plan B.Unsure
JeanP Offline
#207 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:17:58 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

FYI

I am finding with all this heat, that some of the items I have completed seem a tiny bit tacky. Nothing major and nothing is falling off!!!! I even have AC in my craftroom.

I would suggest putting whatever altered items you made in a plastic bag and then tissue wrap them. I fear with the heat, the tissue paper might stick.

My plan is to mail these next Monday.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:19:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked JeanP for this useful post.
CoyoteKim on 7/16/2013(UTC)
CoyoteKim Offline
#208 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:27:15 AM(UTC)
CoyoteKim

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 111 post(s)
JCIBigGrin
Jrcreate Offline
#209 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:40:29 AM(UTC)
Jrcreate

United States

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Donna, I came home late last night and found my package from you! I love it and you do not know how much it touched my heart! He was born on 7-10-13 @ 7:57 pm weighing 7 lbs and 7 oz. and is beautiful. On 7-11 he had a breathing incident and wound up in the NICU for 3 days and scared us so much! He is home now and doing well.

I will post a picture of my beautiful frame when I get home from work today. I am sure the pictures will not do it justice but it is simply beautiful and matches his room perfectly! Donna made me a personalized frame with the babies name and a farm theme on it.

I am sorry if this is rambling but I am trying to get my thoughts out.

Thank you so much Donna! I really appreciate your hard work and you getting me this so quickly.

Jeanene
KelleyRooks Offline
#210 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:49:02 PM(UTC)
KelleyRooks

Great check ins everyone. Sunflower Skye has been checking in with me by phone.

Crafty San San and Candy please check in.

Thanks, k

Candy checked in

Edited by user Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:04:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified