Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
LindainWA Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:06:54 PM(UTC)
LindainWA

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 942 time(s) in 552 post(s)
New cart coming out - Home Decor w/o an overlay and in a new box. You buy an universal overlay that works with all carts after August 2013! The overlay is weird looking in my opinion. Here is the link to Terri's FB page - https://www.facebook.com...5757225133998&type=3

Here is the new cart - https://www.facebook.com...5757225133998&type=3

What's your thoughts????
 6 users thanked LindainWA for this useful post.
JoyceG on 7/17/2013(UTC), Merrie Jones on 7/18/2013(UTC), married05 on 7/18/2013(UTC), disneyfan52 on 7/19/2013(UTC), HelloTink on 7/25/2013(UTC), krafty kate on 7/28/2013(UTC)
MarleneO Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:23:30 PM(UTC)
MarleneO

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Hate it! Why do they have to change everything? The way they did everything in the past was perfect, then CCR, digital and now this? Can't stand my E2, I would really like to sell it. I love my pink E, my Imagine and my Gypsy (have an original E also) and 172 cartridges. But no more for me and no CCR for me either.
scrapalette Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:36:50 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19136 time(s) in 8557 post(s)
I L-O-V-E it! I may not be the only one, but I suggested this to PC back when McKay Brown was still there. Hopefully, the number on the key correlates to the number of the page for those images. I know some people renumber their books with a row and column number and then mark those in their books, but I always thought all the "pre-image" pages should be numbered as a prefix and the true numbering {1-50} be the pages with the images.

If it's like that, it'll be so easy to just see the page number you image is on and press that key instead of searching the keypad trying to identify little images.
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
JoyceG on 7/17/2013(UTC)
JoyceG Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:46:46 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 925 time(s) in 597 post(s)
The idea of the new overlay is a good one for future cartridges. At first it didn't make sense and then I looked at the overlay. It will save a lot of space not having hundreds of overlays. I use CCR so I don't really use the overlays anyways. But I like having them just incase they discontinue CCR in the future.

But I'm not sure I'm gonna like the new boxes. they seem shorter and probably won't fit in my over the door shelf units. Not gonna worry about that right now because I'm not fond of the new cart. and won't be buying it.

Joyce
Calmom Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:47:28 PM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2095 time(s) in 1069 post(s)
Well if PC is trying to lose customers, then go for it. This is the most idiotic idea I have ever heard of Angry .

I guess PC has never heard the phrase "if it's not broken, then don't try to fix it" PC's ONLY concern is the bottom line, less material, more profit.

WHY is it, that we hear about PC's New Products from outside sources and NEVER from PC directly.

I predict that PC will be joining CM in the future, with ideas like this.
 2 users thanked Calmom for this useful post.
ScrapHappyDeb on 7/19/2013(UTC), krafty kate on 7/27/2013(UTC)
Jooniper Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:32:13 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 873 time(s) in 631 post(s)
I like the idea of the new universal overlay! I only have over 60 carts, but those overlays really take up a lot of space, as do the boxes. I have been trying to find a way to store my overlays and booklets, my solution so far is to pile them into photo boxes. I do not use my overlays, nor booklets much as I have the mini now, but I want to keep them handy incase I break out my E.

I am all for PC reducing their "carbon footprint" and rescoures being used to produce their products. I do not view it as them trying to gain more profit, but helping out our planet. I think of it as "regrouping" meaning they came up with a more enviromental friendly way to give their customers a product. Everytime I opened a new cart, I always thought of the poor trees that were sacrificed to create the booklet and the useless pages in other languages.
 3 users thanked Jooniper for this useful post.
rhondah* on 7/18/2013(UTC), JoyceG on 7/18/2013(UTC), MaryStillman on 7/19/2013(UTC)
MaryScraps Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:04:18 AM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6914 time(s) in 2814 post(s)
I like it. I'm always counting where the image is on the overlay anyway.
This will be much quicker. Those who lost their overlay or damaged it will have a universal replacement. I will be getting one for sure.
I remember this being talked about years ago on the old MB.
 2 users thanked MaryScraps for this useful post.
rhondah* on 7/18/2013(UTC), JoyceG on 7/18/2013(UTC)
Narelle Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:38:25 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7909 time(s) in 3707 post(s)
I've packed all my overlays away, but have always wished that there was a blank overlay that just showed the Load/Unload etc buttons.

This will do nicely! Smile
 2 users thanked Narelle for this useful post.
JoyceG on 7/18/2013(UTC), Scrappy_Vee on 7/19/2013(UTC)
cheryl d Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:42:45 AM(UTC)
cheryl d

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 126 post(s)
i HATE HATE HATE it.... i do not # my items... i like seeing the image..
 1 user thanked cheryl d for this useful post.
coralz on 7/19/2013(UTC)
Scrapperdee Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:11:00 AM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4187 time(s) in 2402 post(s)
That new sized box looks HUGE (bigger than before) - unless its just a poor photo.

Take out the overlay and make the box bigger AND keep the price the same?
Merrie Jones Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:22:13 AM(UTC)
Merrie Jones

Was thanked: 940 time(s) in 351 post(s)
I'm on the fence on this one. I pack my boxes away, so the box size doesn't bother me personally. I keep them just for the few times I let someone borrow a cart from me. As far as the overlays go, since I use my G 99% of the time- I don't use them that much. But, if I don't use my G- I do like seeing the images on the overlay. So, I will keep an open mind on this until I actually buy a cart that uses the universal overlay. Of course then I will be unhappy because I haven't purchased one!LOL
 1 user thanked Merrie Jones for this useful post.
krafty kate on 7/27/2013(UTC)
kissakoala*[º0º]* Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:23:21 AM(UTC)
kissakoala*[º0º]*

Was thanked: 1748 time(s) in 977 post(s)
I love the idea. Less silicone for them to use, less for me to store. I rarely use the overlays because I use Gypsy. And if I do use the overlay (when the cart is so new, it hasn't been added to Gypsy) the little characters are so hard to see (old eyes). Even with glasses, I still need to refer to the handbook for the layer I'm looking for, the overlay doesn't necessarily have it. I like the numbering system.

I know lots of folks won't like it, but I expect that.

Less carbon foot print....I'm all for that!
 1 user thanked kissakoala*[º0º]* for this useful post.
JoyceG on 7/18/2013(UTC)
Ginger.Williams Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:34:57 AM(UTC)
Ginger.Williams

United States

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I like the idea of a universal overlay. I wondered why they didn't do this a long time ago. And if the new boxes are smaller, I'm all for that too. I like to keep mine in their boxes and they take up a lot of room.
 1 user thanked Ginger.Williams for this useful post.
rhondah* on 7/18/2013(UTC)
Ladybug Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:08:16 AM(UTC)
Ladybug

Canada

Was thanked: 2998 time(s) in 1732 post(s)
I'm likin' this idea. BigGrin Ages ago, I made a mock one for myself out of a plastic sheet, but this silicon one is the real deal and I'm likin' it a LOT!!! ThumpUp Thanks, PC!! BigGrin
 1 user thanked Ladybug for this useful post.
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:14:32 AM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 451 post(s)
Wub LOVE Wub the new overlay... my poor eyes can't distinguish the images on the old overlays, I am always picking them up and squinting at them, then putting a removable dot sticker on the key I need to use. I am hoping that the new overlay will be readable by those of us spending 100's of $$$ on eyeglasses every year in an attempt to see the world.

The new boxes, not so much. I love the new cart, and will probably buy it, so I'll reserve judgement until I actually get a box to try out.
 2 users thanked NotGoingGreyGracefully for this useful post.
rhondah* on 7/18/2013(UTC), JoyceG on 7/18/2013(UTC)
married05 Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:59:25 AM(UTC)
married05

Was thanked: 232 time(s) in 198 post(s)
Is there any reason this couldn't also work with older cartridges? I have Sesame Street Friends with no overlay. I called PC who told me they don't sell replacements anymore. If I number the handbook pages, couldn't this work or am I crazy?
CowgirlUp Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:24:42 AM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

United States

Was thanked: 897 time(s) in 729 post(s)
Originally Posted by: married05 Go to Quoted Post
Is there any reason this couldn't also work with older cartridges? I have Sesame Street Friends with no overlay. I called PC who told me they don't sell replacements anymore. If I number the handbook pages, couldn't this work or am I crazy?

it would work just fine with your old carts When I'm using a shape cart that has a font I grab a font over lay to know easily where the letters are. or if i'm using a lot of cartridges I will just grab a single over lay and count how many images over or whatever.

How ever I don't like this idea because I will constantly be thinking I'm missing an over lay when I put stuff away.
jscraftylady Offline
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:28:56 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2345 time(s) in 1260 post(s)
I love it! I could never tell anything about those silly overlays. Even on CCR, I hate that they label the key by the first, non-shift image. If I want to use another feature, I have to count up and over.BigGrin

I'm not sure how I feel about having to purchase an overlay separately, though. I have 6 machines currently and have had 9 total since I started buying Cricuts. I think they could give me one if my machines are going to need it. I'll probably just take a Sharpie and make one myself.BigGrin
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
scrapalette Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:36:18 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19136 time(s) in 8557 post(s)
Originally Posted by: married05 Go to Quoted Post

Yeppers! All of my handbooks have the image pages re-numbered and I have one overlay that I made a paper cover for with the keys numbered 1-50. I'll be glad to get a silicone overlay with the numbers so I don't have to keep sticking the paper onto the regular overlay.

Of course, this is assuming this is the way the new universal overlay works.
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
married05 on 7/18/2013(UTC)
SouthernVintage Offline
#20 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:01:20 PM(UTC)
SouthernVintage

United States

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 713 post(s)
I'm not exactly sure how the overlay works, but love the new cart and have ordered both. Should be interesting.BigGrin
nancyh Offline
#21 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:52:34 PM(UTC)
nancyh

Was thanked: 645 time(s) in 483 post(s)
I think I will like it. The numbers look so much easier to see/read than the images do on the overlays. The "newer" handbooks have a pic marked showing where the key is on the overlay for that image, so most of the time I count down and over anyway.

I like the new cart too. I can see me doing lots of vinyl with that cart! BigGrin
Friend958 Online
#22 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:46:53 PM(UTC)
Friend958

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 207 post(s)
what's the cost of the overlay? I went to the link Linda gave but didn't see a cost. Thanks.
JoyceG Offline
#23 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:19:37 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Originally Posted by: Jooniper Go to Quoted Post
I like the idea of the new universal overlay! I only have over 60 carts, but those overlays really take up a lot of space, as do the boxes. I have been trying to find a way to store my overlays and booklets, my solution so far is to pile them into photo boxes. I do not use my overlays, nor booklets much as I have the mini now, but I want to keep them handy incase I break out my E.

I am all for PC reducing their "carbon footprint" and rescoures being used to produce their products. I do not view it as them trying to gain more profit, but helping out our planet. I think of it as "regrouping" meaning they came up with a more enviromental friendly way to give their customers a product. Everytime I opened a new cart, I always thought of the poor trees that were sacrificed to create the booklet and the useless pages in other languages.

I love your positive outlook BigGrin

Joyce

JoyceG Offline
#24 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:20:51 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Originally Posted by: Friend958 Go to Quoted Post
what's the cost of the overlay? I went to the link Linda gave but didn't see a cost. Thanks.

I seen her post that retail price is $2.99 but she's selling it at a discount if you preorder it.

Joyce

JoyceG Offline
#25 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:28:51 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
I love it! I could never tell anything about those silly overlays. Even on CCR, I hate that they label the key by the first, non-shift image. If I want to use another feature, I have to count up and over.BigGrin

I'm not sure how I feel about having to purchase an overlay separately, though. I have 6 machines currently and have had 9 total since I started buying Cricuts. I think they could give me one if my machines are going to need it. I'll probably just take a Sharpie and make one myself.BigGrin

After buying 9 machines..is a $3 universal overlay really gonna break your pocket book?? And I say this with kind hearted love Wub ...you're a cricut addict and you will probably end up buying a couple of them. ThumpUp Wink

Joyce
JoyceG Offline
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:34:06 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Ya know..I've been thinking about this today..and got thinking that I might not have gotten so stressed using it in the past if the universal overlay was what they had come out with originally. I found the overlays to be confusing cause of all the different options one key had and figuring out the imagine that went with each key when layering. So I never mastered using the machine and overlays. I fell in love with CCR the first time I tried it.

I will probably pick up a new overlay when I order a newly released cartridge..just to have it on hand. I like being prepared just incase the discontinue CCR.

Joyce
Scrappy_Vee Offline
#27 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 12:10:52 AM(UTC)
Scrappy_Vee

New Zealand

Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 191 post(s)
I have no problems with the current overlays but I think the idea of a 'universal' is a smart one.

2 thumbs up from me
ThumpUp ThumpUp
Multicrafter Amy Offline
#28 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 4:54:50 AM(UTC)
Multicrafter Amy

United States

Was thanked: 13230 time(s) in 2331 post(s)
Looks fine to me. I just wished they had came out with it in the begining so all my books would already have the numbers on them. Live and learn though. lol I think it will make using the cricut manually easier. Just think how easy and fast it will be to find the correct key. $3.00 will not break the bank either to buy it.
CraftyMichelle Offline
#29 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 5:57:06 AM(UTC)
CraftyMichelle

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Im ok with it, dont really use them now anyways but im really loving the new cartridge, going to get my order in now. Thanks
Scootingranny Offline
#30 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:09:19 AM(UTC)
Scootingranny

Was thanked: 3546 time(s) in 1921 post(s)
I think it's very interesting.. a fairly good idea. I don't use the overlays because I am a die-hard Design Studio user. But since they aren't doing content updates to it any longer, I will be FORCED to use the overlays or use CCR for future new cartridges. Guess I will need to learn how to use the overlays (which were always a bit confusing to me anyway) and I might as well learn on the new one. I just craft several places that don't have internet so I'll need to learn it.

As for the new box shape... if they aren't putting the overlays in anymore, guess the bigger box isn't needed. Maybe the booklets will be more square than rectangle to fit in the new box?? Hmmm....
 1 user thanked Scootingranny for this useful post.
JoyceG on 7/19/2013(UTC)