Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
beetlebugmart Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 8:03:58 AM(UTC)
beetlebugmart

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 192 time(s) in 122 post(s)
I just saw the announcement for Hello Thursday, (which by the way, is now such a disappointment), and saw the universal overlay. This is not to my taste. First, they take away the hard boxes and replace them with those crappy plastic boxes, which you can't ever get to close and when they do, not close well. Then, they take away the overlay and give smaller boxes. Soon, no box and no book and no cart. Just all digital. If I'm doing that I will go to a machine that doesn't have as many problems. I love my cricut and I love my carts. I will buy the older ones I have not gotten yet. Thanks PC for not coming out with any more good ones so I can catch up on the older ones. I will love my crict till it goes to cricut heaven, then move on to another machine. Sad to look forward to. When I first saw the cricut advertised, I was in awe. I could not believe the things it did. But now, just good memories. What are all of your thoughts on the new overlay and the direction PC is going in?

2 users thanked beetlebugmart for this useful post.
BJR on 8/3/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 8/4/2013(UTC)
JoyceG Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 8:13:24 AM(UTC)
JoyceG

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 914 time(s) in 594 post(s)
I think the overlays was a waste. I had a very hard time using them when there was layers. Once I tried CCR...I loved it and don't need/use the overlays any more. I give a 2 thumbs up ThumpUp ThumpUp

Joyce
 1 user thanked JoyceG for this useful post.
Mary R. on 8/2/2013(UTC)
Runningmomof2 Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 8:23:56 AM(UTC)
Runningmomof2

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1127 time(s) in 538 post(s)
I see it as a possible positive. Now you don't have to dig out an alphabet overlay when using a shape cartridge that has a font on it. Also, you can just leave the overlay in the machine unless using an older cart. There have been cartridges to where I have to look really hard to find the image. I think that they might help keep dust out of the machine a little better for people like me who never really close up their machine. JMO
Spookysnip Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 8:50:51 AM(UTC)
Spookysnip

Canada

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I have an Expression 2, so it's no big deal for me if they do away with the overlays (actually I'm kind of glad that they did Blushing). I keep the overlays that I get (hey you never know), but they just sit in the cases collecting dust.
What I'm not happy about is the new cartridge booklet, have you seen it? oh my it's confusing the way they try to explain how the universal overlay works. I hope the regular carts they come out with don't also have confusing booklets like this new wall art one does. If they keep the booklet layout similar to the Everyday type carts, I'll be happy. Otherwise I'm a bit worried about new cartridges coming out. I'm curious about the new cartridge box size, I want to know what they look like compared to the old ones. I'm worried about storage.
 1 user thanked Spookysnip for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 8/3/2013(UTC)
Annabella Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 9:09:38 AM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)
I am not a person who can handle change well. With that being said the thought of PC initiating change I wonder how it will work. Well here goes. With the universal overlay, I really think it will work. I have about 80 carts at the moment, having just one overlay for all will save time-I haven't had a problem understanding where the layer are once I got a hang of the books. I tried a method that someone on the board suggested a long time ago. I number the rows and alphabetize the columns. I then mark the books according to the overlay. So, I guess I already have about half of the work done.

The fact of smaller boxes, That means I will have more space on my shelf and then I can buy more and my husband will never really know. The less box, no overlay, should make the price lower so I have a second reason for buying more.

I really do think this is a win-win situation. At least they didn't go completely digital. I just ordered a new machine to use till the warranty runs out then I will go to my back-up till he is gone. I plan on sticking around till the last shoe falls. At least they are still producing carts and not going under like the company like Stampin' Up has done. I feel it is a great time to stock up on the old ones I haven't bought yet as the new ones are so good. I just bought CTMH's new cart.

Sorry for the mini-novel!!
Soo Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 9:23:47 AM(UTC)
Soo

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 143 post(s)
I think the reduced packaging is a good thing. I felt guilty throwing out the old style boxes, but frankly they took up way too much space for the size of the cartridge.

I'm happy with the changes being introduced. I've got an E2 and Imagine and I can't remember the last time I used either without the Craft Room. It really makes the images and cutters really versatile. I do have another non-Cricut machine - but it rarely gets used.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 9:50:11 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1486 time(s) in 1183 post(s)
For me, only time will tell with the new overlay's. I do already have one. Got it from StampsAlive/terrikrafts last week.

As to smaller boxes, I don't keep my carts in boxes anyway. I have a different system, and I am thinking about changing that! The grass is always greener on the other side. LOL

I don't use CCR. Not interested in a computer/internet based system. Especially NOT an internet based system. I LOVE my Gypsy and I hope she lasts forever. I was so sad when they put her out to pasture.
sewnmachine Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 9:59:24 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 235 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Annabella Go to Quoted Post
I am not a person who can handle change well. With that being said the thought of PC initiating change I wonder how it will work. Well here goes. With the universal overlay, I really think it will work. I have about 80 carts at the moment, having just one overlay for all will save time-I haven't had a problem understanding where the layer are once I got a hang of the books. I tried a method that someone on the board suggested a long time ago. I number the rows and alphabetize the columns. I then mark the books according to the overlay. So, I guess I already have about half of the work done.

The fact of smaller boxes, That means I will have more space on my shelf and then I can buy more and my husband will never really know. The less box, no overlay, should make the price lower so I have a second reason for buying more.

I really do think this is a win-win situation. At least they didn't go completely digital. I just ordered a new machine to use till the warranty runs out then I will go to my back-up till he is gone. I plan on sticking around till the last shoe falls. At least they are still producing carts and not going under like the company like Stampin' Up has done. I feel it is a great time to stock up on the old ones I haven't bought yet as the new ones are so good. I just bought CTMH's new cart.

Sorry for the mini-novel!!

The new universal overlays will only work on cartridges that are released after August 1, 2013. So they won't work on the older cartridges.

1 user thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
BJR on 8/3/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Online
#9 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 10:14:59 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19106 time(s) in 8537 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
The new universal overlays will only work on cartridges that are released after August 1, 2013. So they won't work on the older cartridges.

They will work with the older carts, you just have to renumber the pages in your handbook that the images are on. I made a similar universal overlay 3 years ago and have been using it with all my carts. It's so easy since our minds are trained in numerical sequence since the time we learn to count. So numbering your image pages from 1-50 in your old books means if your image is on page 44, you press the 44 key.
sewnmachine Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 10:15:30 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

I am done buying cartridges (and I absolutely won't buy anymore digital images). The last big cart I bought was the CTMH Artbooking bundle.

The new Circle cart - Charmed is merely another (for my tastes only) incarnation of so many other stupid cutesy images that have been done to death. The other new release, Home for the Holidays and Wall decor is not anything I'm interested in either.

At first I loved CCR. LOVED IT!! But now after the last update I am getting errors and the program crashes. I have done everything except spit into the east wind during a full moon.
I can no longer rely on it. I also used to think that having it as a stand alone design program and NOT hooked up to the internet would satisfy me. It won't.

I have now discovered (much to my dismay) that I don't even WANT A COMPUTER ON MY CRAFT TABLE.

I decided I am going back to "old school". I just bought a back up refurbished Expression. I just want to use my cartridges, overlays and handbooks. My Gypsy is still working - but who knows for how long?

If or when I get to the point that I need a computer to craft I will buy one of the competitors machines. At least I can design and cut my own images. And any digital content I might buy will belong to me.

Right now I have well over 100 carts. I won't buy any more until PC releases something that is really unusual. I just can't absorb any more Create a Critters, Birthday Bashes or Charmed cartridges.
CricketCMV on 8/4/2013(UTC)
Runningmomof2 Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 10:17:16 AM(UTC)
Runningmomof2

Was thanked: 1127 time(s) in 538 post(s)
Never mind

Edited by user Friday, August 02, 2013 10:19:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Some posted the same thing as I was reading oops

scrapalette Online
#12 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 10:21:59 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Originally Posted by: Spookysnip Go to Quoted Post
I'm curious about the new cartridge box size, I want to know what they look like compared to the old ones. I'm worried about storage.

Here's a photo of the new box and the old:

6 users thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
krafty kate on 8/2/2013(UTC), LizVellali on 8/2/2013(UTC), married05 on 8/2/2013(UTC), ValerieSchomburg on 8/2/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/3/2013(UTC), Spookysnip on 8/3/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Online
#13 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 10:23:47 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

If or when I get to the point that I need a computer to craft I will buy one of the competitors machines. At least I can design and cut my own images. And any digital content I might buy will belong to me.

Not true. You may want to check the Terms of Use for the images when/if you get to the point of purchasing them.
JeanP Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 10:36:07 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Was thanked: 952 time(s) in 766 post(s)
I have & LOVE Design Studio!!!!!!

You can't use any more new cartridges with it so I won't be buying any more of them unless something really spectacular comes out.
I figure if I can't get everything I need from over 100 cartridges, then there is something wrong. Really, how many fonts do you need!!!!LOL
CCR seems to be okay but I can never get it to work with my new computer. It works with my old one but is super SLOW!!!!!! Plus I don't like the idea of an internet based program. If my cable is down so is my designing ability.

Give me DS any day over the Gypsy, CCR and the new digital stuff!!!!
 3 users thanked JeanP for this useful post.
krafty kate on 8/2/2013(UTC), Steelwillow on 8/2/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/3/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 10:44:41 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
Not true. You may want to check the Terms of Use for the images when/if you get to the point of purchasing them.

Well, as long as I can store them on my computer or transfer them to an SD card - then by my definition they belong to me. Or if I take any image and have the ability to reformat the file extension - then by my definition it belongs to me. If I can take royalty free clip art or my own computer fonts and manipulate them or print and cut them - then by my definition they belong to me.

Are there terms of service that prohibit mass production and commercial sale of images? Yes. Of course. I am not an entrepeneur. I'm a card maker. I doubt if I will run a-foul of those terms and conditions.

3 users thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
MClicker on 8/2/2013(UTC), Moxy77 on 8/3/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/3/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Online
#16 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 10:52:41 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Well, as long as I can store them on my computer or transfer them to an SD card - then by my definition they belong to me. Or if I take any image and have the ability to reformat the file extension - then by my definition it belongs to me. If I can take royalty free clip art or my own computer fonts and manipulate them or print and cut them - then by my definition they belong to me.

Are there terms of service that prohibit mass production and commercial sale of images? Yes. Of course. I am not an entrepeneur. I'm a card maker. I doubt if I will run a-foul of those terms and conditions.

Well, before you said "if you buy" so that's what I was referring to. Of course if you create something, you can use it all you want as long as it wasn't created from a copyrighted image. But as for the "purchased" images, they have restrictions {can't sell, trade, share them} and if you sell something you make using them, you need to purchase the commercial license for each image.
sewnmachine Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 10:53:43 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

They will work with the older carts, you just have to renumber the pages in your handbook that the images are on. I made a similar universal overlay 3 years ago and have been using it with all my carts. It's so easy since our minds are trained in numerical sequence since the time we learn to count. So numbering your image pages from 1-50 in your old books means if your image is on page 44, you press the 44 key.

Well then Scrapalette, I stand corrected. This is what I read from the FAQ's and obviously came away with the wrong impression.

Will older cartridges and handbooks be converted to work with the universal keypad overlay?
All cartridges introduced after August 1, 2013, will use the universal overlay. However, older cartridges will not be converted to the new format at this time and will continue to use the cartridge-specific overlays they were packaged with.

So it is good to know that with a bit of fiddling we can use the new overlays. That will come in handy if anybody loses an overlay to one of their old carts.
jkrflutenpicc7d12cddd on 8/2/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 11:21:20 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Well, before you said "if you buy" so that's what I was referring to. Of course if you create something, you can use it all you want as long as it wasn't created from a copyrighted image. But as for the "purchased" images, they have restrictions {can't sell, trade, share them} and if you sell something you make using them, you need to purchase the commercial license for each image.

I'm not going to get into a p*@@*%g contest over the legalese or semantics of copyright laws and commercial license. The competitors product does allow for alot more leeway than the provocraft products. They can be bought individually or bundled, "free" images are freely shared all over the internet or you can create your own designs and sell them if you so choose. When was the last time anyone was ever allowed to sell a PC image that they manipulated in CCR? No, wait.... I'm sure you can site chapter and verse of some obscure scenario where that has been done.

The point is; in regard to the original post, I doubt that I will buy anymore cartridges - for the reasons stated above ( right, wrong or otherwise). I still love my Cricuts and my carts. And as of this moment in time, I prefer to use carts instead of the computer (also for reasons stated previously). And now that I have lauded all things ProvoCraft - game over.

MClicker on 8/2/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Online
#19 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 12:43:10 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

I'm not going to get into a p*@@*%g contest over the legalese or semantics of copyright laws and commercial license. The competitors product does allow for alot more leeway than the provocraft products. They can be bought individually or bundled, "free" images are freely shared all over the internet or you can create your own designs and sell them if you so choose. When was the last time anyone was ever allowed to sell a PC image that they manipulated in CCR? No, wait.... I'm sure you can site chapter and verse of some obscure scenario where that has been done.

The point is; in regard to the original post, I doubt that I will buy anymore cartridges - for the reasons stated above ( right, wrong or otherwise). I still love my Cricuts and my carts. And as of this moment in time, I prefer to use carts instead of the computer (also for reasons stated previously). And now that I have lauded all things ProvoCraft - game over.

Wow! I'm surprised at the anger and the crude reference. It's a public forum where everyone can post their opinions.

On a final note, I share my CCR files all the time. As do many others. It's doesn't violate any TOU because the person using one of the file I created still needs to have the cart(s) used in the design.
MaryScraps Offline
#20 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 5:24:59 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6894 time(s) in 2801 post(s)
In response to the orginal poster. I am ok with the new overlay.
It will take me some time to get used to the new format.
Change is always hard at first but before long I think I will get used to it.
Mary R. Offline
#21 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 6:20:01 PM(UTC)
Mary R.

United States

Was thanked: 497 time(s) in 349 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JoyceG Go to Quoted Post
I think the overlays was a waste. I had a very hard time using them when there was layers. Once I tried CCR...I loved it and don't need/use the overlays any more. I give a 2 thumbs up ThumpUp ThumpUp

Joyce

Ditto. I love, love, love CCR specifically because I don't have to use the overlaysBigGrin . I'm a slow-learner and had such a hard time remembering which buttons to push, quantity, size, shift, no shift. Geez...it was so darn time-consuming.

Best, Mary R.
Scrappy_Vee Offline
#22 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 8:10:29 PM(UTC)
Scrappy_Vee

New Zealand

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 187 post(s)
Here's a photo of the new box and the old:

I'm not sure if this question has been answered, but I will ask anyway Flapper

Is there a handbook in the new boxes? I love my handbooks.

Thanks for photo Scrapalette ThumpUp

Edited by user Friday, August 02, 2013 8:11:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: bad spelling as result of a late night

Sherri Kay Offline
#23 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 8:58:27 PM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2408 time(s) in 2160 post(s)
Wow! I'm surprised at the anger and the crude reference. It's a public forum where everyone can post their opinions.

On a final note, I share my CCR files all the time. As do many others. It's doesn't violate any TOU because the person using one of the file I created still needs to have the cart(s) used in the design.

Isn't it ironic that two Circle members are on the "Green" side arguing? And people say it gets nasty here and not on the "Pink" side. I can see why if they come here to do it!!
Scrapperdee Offline
#24 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 9:08:04 PM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4184 time(s) in 2400 post(s)
I have no opinion on the overlays but I am ANGRY at the change in size/shape of the handbooks!

I have all mine organized in four boxs the specific size to hold them...these SQUARE handbooks are totally annoying and won't fit properly in the organization system!!!!!!!

Edited by user Friday, August 02, 2013 9:08:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Scrapperdee for this useful post.
BJR on 8/3/2013(UTC)
ValerieSchomburg Offline
#25 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2013 10:37:10 PM(UTC)
ValerieSchomburg

Was thanked: 1606 time(s) in 1480 post(s)
If we didn't accept change in our lives where would we all be? Things are changing all the time. I have no trouble with the new overlays. I'm thinking they will be great to have. The new size box, it's okay w/me too. Less storage space since I keep mine stored in boxes. As for the handbook size, well that remains to be determined until I actually use one of them. I don't like things any smaller than they already are in the handbooks....might need a permanent magnifier..... LOL I also don't really care for the plastic storage boxes, but have to get used to them since that is what they are making now. Another change! BigGrin I think we need to adapt and make the best of things. We can still use the machines to create! YEAH!

As for new carts. Well, I haven't really been interested in most of the new ones that have been coming out. But at the same time, it's no $$$. I have about 30 carts which for me is plenty. I have more than I think I will ever be able to use adequately. There are just a few I'd still like to purchase but have to wait for better times.

I don't use CCR and don't plan to either. I'm not interested in all the techno stuff at all. I'm happy with my Expression as is. If my Expression dies I'm going to be very sad, but I'd probably try to get another one because I still like my carts. It's okay if PC introduces new products. We do have a choice of what we want to use. They are still producing carts and haven't gone all digital. I don't think going all digital would be the wisest choice for PC either. For now, I think they are trying to give us choices. I'm glad we have the choices to make.

Just my thoughts on some things . . . . I guess I'd have to say I'm fairly content.

2 users thanked ValerieSchomburg for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 8/3/2013(UTC), joyfullycrafting on 8/4/2013(UTC)
MaryScraps Offline
#26 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 4:07:17 AM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6894 time(s) in 2801 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Spookysnip Go to Quoted Post
I have an Expression 2, so it's no big deal for me if they do away with the overlays (actually I'm kind of glad that they did Blushing). I keep the overlays that I get (hey you never know), but they just sit in the cases collecting dust.
What I'm not happy about is the new cartridge booklet, have you seen it? oh my it's confusing the way they try to explain how the universal overlay works. I hope the regular carts they come out with don't also have confusing booklets like this new wall art one does. If they keep the booklet layout similar to the Everyday type carts, I'll be happy. Otherwise I'm a bit worried about new cartridges coming out. I'm curious about the new cartridge box size, I want to know what they look like compared to the old ones. I'm worried about storage.

The handbook confused me at first too. It will take some getting used to.
MaryStillman Offline
#27 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 10:36:49 AM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 791 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ValerieSchomburg Go to Quoted Post

As for new carts. Well, I haven't really been interested in most of the new ones that have been coming out. But at the same time, it's no $$$. I have about 30 carts which for me is plenty. I have more than I think I will ever be able to use adequately. There are just a few I'd still like to purchase but have to wait for better times.

I probably won't be purchasing any of the new carts either. I would like Artbooking, but will wait until I hear it's on the gypsy, and then sync.

What frustrates me is having to put an exception in my virus scan for Norton not to scan the CCR sync folders, so that sync will open and connect to the gypsy. I'll do this temporarily to update the gypsy and then remove the exception as it can create a back door for viruses. But, then whenever I update the gypsy or want to drag a design to my desk top, I have to allow the exception temporarily.

I also will try and make do with what I have. Surprisingly, I've been using the free basic CCR cartridge. That is loaded on my gypsy as my cartridge. Although George and Basic Shapes is a better shape cartridge, a lot can be done with that little free cart.

Mary
Spookysnip Offline
#28 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 9:45:44 PM(UTC)
Spookysnip

Canada

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I'm really happy about the box size (thanks for that comparison photo). I can fit those little boxes in my small desk much easier. I'm really excited for this change BigGrin. I'm sure the booklets will just take some getting used to (just like when I first bought my cricut).
CricutCrazy Offline
#29 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 11:15:51 PM(UTC)
CricutCrazy

Was thanked: 1020 time(s) in 739 post(s)
I am happy about the new cartridge boxes being smaller, but like many of you, I like my original cartridge and overlay system. Why couldn't they just fold the overlays in half and put them in the smaller boxes ? They don't break or anything if you fold them.

I have tried Design Studio and CCR. I have tons of problems using CCR as my internet connection is not very powerful and I refuse to triple my internet costs just to use CCR. I really prefer just using my cartridges in the Expression the most. Easy and simple to do. I do not have room for a computer next to my Cricut machine area.

Speaking of new carts, I have placed my order for 3 new ones and have put the pre-orders on my Etsy shop. Soon you will see "Simple Holiday cards" "Creative Holiday Cards" and ANNA GRIFFIN's " Winter Wonderland " coming out !! I should have them to ship by next week end and expect they will sell out fast ~ No pictures are available of the AG Cart yet. PC is being pretty secretive about it.

BJR Offline
#30 Posted : Sunday, August 04, 2013 5:34:25 AM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
I too (As I posted on another thread)- prefer the original overlays- maybe I'm set in my ways but I like them. I think this would be good as a back up- but I like having that cart's pics on the overlay makes it easy for me. I have always found it to work well for me that way. Smile BJR.
 1 user thanked BJR for this useful post.
Soshescraps on 8/4/2013(UTC)