Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

beetlebugmart Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:14:50 PM(UTC)
beetlebugmart

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 129 post(s)
I have an indoor cat. We have had her since beginning of June and we have always treated her for fleas. But suddenly in the last week, fleas are everywhere, it seems! I know so many of you are pet lovers so help me out please. I have found info on the internet but a lot of it is conflicting. I called our local vet but they don't sell most of the stuff so the girl didn't know if it worked or not. Does foggers work? Is Frontline better for cats or Advantage? I read online that if you sprinkle Borax around and leave it for 3 days then that will kill eggs and larvae and everything? Is that true? I read its easy to get rid of the adults but how do I get rid of the eggs and larvae and all of it? I'm itching all the time! Help me please! Thanks in advance!

Hannah
go-go Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:28:36 PM(UTC)
go-go

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1862 time(s) in 748 post(s)
I wish I knew how to help you. I have had fleas in an apartment before & it was really hard to get rid of them. I used foggers & vacuumed A LOT! I took my cat to the vet to get dipped. (my cat was highly allergic to flea poison, so that's why I let the vet handle it.)

Good luck!
Margo
southgirltexas Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:43:12 PM(UTC)
southgirltexas

Was thanked: 569 time(s) in 341 post(s)
I had a bad flea problem this spring,I got some baby wipes the lime or lemon scented ones and rubbed her down with it. After 2 days the fleas were gone. There is a flea trap you can make with a dish of water and a drop or 2 of liquid detergent placed on the floor under a light. The light attracts them and the soap keeps them in the wtaer and they drown.
 1 user thanked southgirltexas for this useful post.
jenny dennis on 9/1/2013(UTC)
Scraprageous Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:50:00 PM(UTC)
Scraprageous

United States

Was thanked: 140 time(s) in 137 post(s)
We use front line for our cats (one reacts poorly to anything else). When we did have a flea problem - it can be fixed, but please do everything

1) take care of cat (bath/treat/etc.)
2) vacuum house completely - take bag OUTSIDE to trash immediately
3) take the cat with you and fog the house. Be sure all bedrooms have been vacuumed, doors openened, etc. Kitchen foods that are not sealed during this process should be tossed.
4) after fogging - vacuum house completely again. Take the bag OUTSIDE to trash immediately.

trying to remember if I am forgetting something, but a mistake many people make after vacuuming is to leave the bag in the vacuum and if the eggs hatch, you have fleas again that way.

Good luck. Our cat isn't allowed outside. That was my solution after dealing with fleas the second time.
shylalp Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:08:23 PM(UTC)
shylalp

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 198 post(s)
I used Revolution on my cats--it's basically birth control for fleas. I was always pleased with the results. It's expensive though.
I think it, and other vet med stuff like it, are available at online stores...pedmed.com I think is one.
Good luck!tg
cristine Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:43:30 PM(UTC)
cristine

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 67 post(s)
I have a dog, but maybe I can help. We used frontline on him for years with great results. This summer it all changed. We had fleas everywhere and my dog(Mojo) was miserable. We would bathe him and fog the house, and them darn fleas would not go away. Then a friend told me about a once a month pill you get from the vet. I took Mojo and purchased the pill that kills fleas and heart worms. It is a little pricey, but well worth it. Not sure if they have it for cats, but if they do, I'm sure you will be happy with it.
DeeDee87 Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:36:26 PM(UTC)
DeeDee87

Was thanked: 512 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Bathing the pet with Dawn dish soap kills the fleas instantly, but doesn't do anything about the eggs. I used to use Frontline all the time, but I think something in their formula changed because it quit working & now I use Advantage & it works like a charm. Foggers didn't seem to help me, but this Raid flea spray did. Also, this Flea Comb is AMAZING! I used it after bathing my cat & it traps the fleas in the center (they won't jump out because of how tight the space is). After a few strokes I would dunk it in a cup that was filled with warm water & Dawn dish soap and that would instantly kill the fleas that were trapped in the center.
jscraftylady Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 10:53:18 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 2344 time(s) in 1260 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scraprageous Go to Quoted Post
We use front line for our cats (one reacts poorly to anything else). When we did have a flea problem - it can be fixed, but please do everything

1) take care of cat (bath/treat/etc.)
2) vacuum house completely - take bag OUTSIDE to trash immediately
3) take the cat with you and fog the house. Be sure all bedrooms have been vacuumed, doors openened, etc. Kitchen foods that are not sealed during this process should be tossed.
4) after fogging - vacuum house completely again. Take the bag OUTSIDE to trash immediately.

trying to remember if I am forgetting something, but a mistake many people make after vacuuming is to leave the bag in the vacuum and if the eggs hatch, you have fleas again that way.

Good luck. Our cat isn't allowed outside. That was my solution after dealing with fleas the second time.

I second that you must do everything or those suckers will hatch babies and you'll be dealing with it all over again. We used a spray rather than a fog and it worked great, too. I washed all linens and then sprayed all cloth items that couldn't be thrown in the washer. They lay eggs EVERYWHERE!

I have had strictly indoor cats for 10 years and never had a problem until I moved to Alabama. Apparently, they have some hearty fleas down here that live in high grass and get tracked in on people's clothes. Once they find a way to your pet, they go crazy and can have your house filled with fleas in a week. It's nuts!
gonescrappin' Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 12:48:10 PM(UTC)
gonescrappin'

United States

Was thanked: 9607 time(s) in 4908 post(s)
Everyone has given you the best advice. Switch from Frontline to Advantage for 3 months. I am not sure why but for some reason, I have to alternate the treatment every 6 months or so. I love my flea comb and comb my guys almost every day. They love it too. I say vacuum often and don't forget to wash any bedding that your cat sleeps on. It's been a terrible year for fleas. Blech. I hope you get rid of them soon.
 1 user thanked gonescrappin' for this useful post.
jenny dennis on 9/1/2013(UTC)
AuntieKLE Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:12:51 PM(UTC)
AuntieKLE

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 118 post(s)
My DD read about "Diatomaceous earth" and we have been using it for a little while.

Fleas and even cockroaches are no problem now. We just sprinkled a little around the edges on the baseboards and out in the garage. Left it for a few days and then cleaned it up.

There are 2 versions. One is Food Grade (safe to eat). The other isn't as clean. This is the one we found locally.

There are lots of sites online and even a vet may have it.

I did a search online and found the following site that has info about pets: http://www.earthworkshealth.com/pets-animals.php

HTH
LisaDePugh Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 01, 2013 5:50:00 AM(UTC)
LisaDePugh

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 215 post(s)
All of these are good things to do but another thing YOU MUST DO is treat your yard. Last year my grandmother's yard became totally infested with fleas. They would jump everywhere as I walked out through the yard. And her dog, of course, became infested. I treated the dog several times and it did no good to do it until I treated the yard. I used a combination of Sevin and Bayer brands and laid it down very heavy. Then sprayed it down with water to activate the granules. (Just as the directions said.) NO MORE FLEAS!
southgirltexas Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 01, 2013 9:32:35 AM(UTC)
southgirltexas

Was thanked: 569 time(s) in 341 post(s)
Just to add. The stuff you put on the back neck of your animal MAY cause problems. My friends dog licked the area of her other dog that was treated and that resulted in a $300 vet bill.
jenny dennis Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 01, 2013 10:08:34 AM(UTC)
jenny dennis

Was thanked: 16905 time(s) in 4081 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gonescrappin' Go to Quoted Post
Everyone has given you the best advice. Switch from Frontline to Advantage for 3 months. I am not sure why but for some reason, I have to alternate the treatment every 6 months or so. I love my flea comb and comb my guys almost every day. They love it too. I say vacuum often and don't forget to wash any bedding that your cat sleeps on. It's been a terrible year for fleas. Blech. I hope you get rid of them soon.

I have a Dog and had to switch from frontline to advantage my vet says sometimes fleas get amune to the stuff Confused

I had a cat dumped on me (long storyAngry)last summer and lo and behold I got fleasCursing Cursing Cursing Cursing the water and dish soap work really well to trap the little suckers I just dumped the water in a covered plastic dog food container and then disposed of it.
also on hard floors we won't talk about me windexing themLOL LOL LOL one of those swiffer dry floor sweepers work well to trap them I then put those in a ziplock bag and then a trash bag
outside in TX. heat till trash day. like the others said the most important thing is to change bags after every vaccume I just got cheap bags and treat your kitty. GOOD LUCK if you have a massive outbreak it may take some timeSad

Edited by user Sunday, September 01, 2013 10:09:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BJR Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 04, 2013 6:55:12 AM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
We just sprayed our yard- the yard next to ours has only been cut once this year and is an eyesore- so anything and everything lives there. If you have little kittens- you can bathe them in Dawn dish liquid to help them. It isn't a flea killer like frontline, etc. but is safe and will help get rid of them. Yes to that was said about vacuuming, we use sergeants flea shampoo only on our indoor kitties if needed, but wait a couple days before flea treatment- otherwise use a regular shampoo again we love Sergeants) let dry and them put the flea treatment on. Also do brush before and after to get rid of loose fur and fleas. Definitely wash bedding too or any blanket they may lay on. Good luck and use some cortisone cream on your itches! BJR.