Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Di&Co Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 2:35:03 PM(UTC)
Di&Co

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Canada

Was thanked: 21413 time(s) in 5308 post(s)
I have nothing to report new.

Have you any new knitting item that you're working on? ThumpUp
ScottieMom Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:23:18 PM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

Was thanked: 315 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Well, I have a been working on a new version of the ruffled scarf. I found a new (to me anyway) kind of "yarn" at Joann's last week - it is called Starbella "FLIRT" - it is a chiffon fabric with the loops at the top to crochet or knit. I've already made three of these scarves -they are so pretty and lightweight for warmer weather. I'm making them for a craft fair.

Here's a couple of pics:

cricaholic Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:54:44 PM(UTC)
cricaholic

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1202 time(s) in 683 post(s)
Woot LOVE the scarf!!!!
Laugh I have to run some errands tomorrow...JoAnns went to the top of my listLOL LOL LOL LOL LOL TFS
 1 user thanked cricaholic for this useful post.
ScottieMom on 9/20/2013(UTC)
Di&Co Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:54:04 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Oh my, your scarf is wonderful! I haven't seen that yarn either...anywhere!

Thanks for sharing!BigGrin
ScottieMom Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:33:12 AM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

Our Joann's in Mobile moved to a larger store and the yarn department is so much larger now - I saw several other new types of yarn. The Flirt yarn was $9.99/skein(flat) and they had some really other fun yarns - I made my MIL a Flirt Scarf with pink/black - it is really pretty and feminine. They have lots of patterns and colors of it.
cricaholic Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:13:08 PM(UTC)
cricaholic

Originally Posted by: ScottieMom Go to Quoted Post
Our Joann's in Mobile moved to a larger store and the yarn department is so much larger now - I saw several other new types of yarn. The Flirt yarn was $9.99/skein(flat) and they had some really other fun yarns - I made my MIL a Flirt Scarf with pink/black - it is really pretty and feminine. They have lots of patterns and colors of it.

ThumpUp LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!!!!!!!LOL LOL I was a BAD cha ching girlLaugh Laugh

Scared I should of checked the MB this morning.....
ThumpUp I ran to my JoAnns(thinking they wouldn't have them)Woot and THEY DID!!!! I grabbed 8 of them....OhMyGod got to the register...Tongue Well.... I put 4 back....I only had one 50% coupon.....BigGrin next time I go to JoAnns I'll have MORE coupons and take my family with meLOL LOL heres what I got so far.........if I hadn't seen your scarf I would of just tried one ..but your scarfs are gorgeous, I couldn't leave with just one skeinLOL LOL

heres a better close up

I did see the other types too...I didn't care for them(yet)...

ScottieMom Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:52:46 AM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

It is my absolute pleasure to be an enablerLOL LOL It was hard to just choose a few I know!

My scarf is just the entire skein/flat crocheted with 4 loops for each ruffle. The scarf in the picture is the entire scarf wrapped around twice - so it makes the ruffles extra full.

I think the next one I make I will sew the ends together and make an infinity scarf.

Happy knitting/crocheting!!!

1 user thanked ScottieMom for this useful post.
cricaholic on 9/23/2013(UTC)
ScottieMom Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:07:07 AM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

Here is something else I am crocheting - Trellis Lace Necklaces - These are made with Ladder Ribbon Yarn. I have not seen this "yarn" in stores and have to order it online. It cost between $4-7 for a ball (like crochet thread) and I can get 8-10 necklaces out of one ball.

Chocgirl6002a2366d Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:02:46 PM(UTC)
Chocgirl6002a2366d

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Scottiemom,
Would you be so kind as to share your crocheted instructions for thev Flirt? Yours are gorgeous! I am doing it like on the package, don't like how tight it is and keep dropping stitches from the knitting needle.
Also, the necklaces! I think I have seen this ribbon at my Craft Warehouse.
Thanks!
 1 user thanked Chocgirl6002a2366d for this useful post.
ScottieMom on 9/20/2013(UTC)
Di&Co Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:10:54 PM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Oh my my my my my, I love those necklaces! Need a how to please!
ScottieMom Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 2:13:58 AM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

For the Flirt scarves I used a crochet Hook "H" - went in behind each loop until I hade 4 loops on the hook - the next loop I went in from the front, put the loop on my hook, turned my hook downward and pulled that loop through the previous four loops on my hook. Then repeat until you get the length you want. At the end, I pulled the last few inches through the loop on the hook and hand sewed the end to the ruffle so it would unravel.

I can't find the video I watched on how to make it - I must have watched it on my Kindle (I'll keep looking) - but the lady on the video said to shake the scarf to make the ruffles fuller.

Premier Yarns website and Joann's website has the 13 colors available. They are all so pretty!

Hope this helps!
ScottieMom Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 2:34:19 AM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

The Trellis Lace Necklaces are so easy to make! I buy my ladder ribbon yarn from
http://www.creativefiber...s.com/servlet/StoreFront - I've already got a medium size plastic container full of yarn!

There are several patterns on how to make these but here is my version:

Measure 3 yards of ribbon (I do this the old fashioned way - from my nose to my outstretched hand LOL!) and cut the strand. Do this 7-10 times depending on how full you want your necklace and how bulky the ribbon yarn is.

Then take each strand and leave about a 10-inch tail on the strand. Make a slip knot, insert a large hook (I use an "N" Hook)and chain stitch until you have about a 10-inch tail on the other end of the strand. Pull end through hook and pull tight.

Do this with each strand of ribbon yarn. After you have crocheted all the strands, put them all together with the beginning stitches lined up and tie all together with a knot. Then I take half the strands and twist them loosely around the other half of strands to give a "rope" effect; match up the last stitches on each strand, put them together and tie a knot on that end.

Now, a lot of patterns call for a pony bead to be added and have the strands just hanging down the back of your neck. But I just felt like it needed to be finished off nicer and I use ribbon crimps that I get from Hobby Lobby, jewelry glue, jump rings and lobster claw clasps to finish mine off.
I love making the trellis lace necklaces! They are so easy! I went to a ladies lunch the other day and got an order for 16 of them! I've been making Alabama and Auburn necklaces this week:
#13 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 1:42:45 PM(UTC)
Chocgirl6002a2366d

Love
Scottiemom,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was going to try it thinking of the way I do the Sashay ruffle scarves in a similar way but you saved me time and frustration and the size hook to use! I am making a bunch of scarves to sell at an Open House in November and wanted a variety. And the necklaces are a fantastic bonus. I already checked the web site, and prices and colors are great compared to what I have seen locally available. I hope mine turn out as lovely as yours!
I was so excited that you shared this and can't wait to start one!R
#14 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 4:42:12 PM(UTC)
Chocgirl6002a2366d

Me again......thought I would share something a lady at the craft store shared with me when I told her my problem with the yarn twisting as you work with Starbella and Sashay yarn. If you have it in a ball, secure the end close to the ball with a clip of some kind or just rubber band the ball. Then pick up your needle and let it dangle and it unwinds itself! Just crazy......I was elated!
I'm taking a break from my housework to start a scarf with Sahara Flirt....thanks Scottiemom. ( I need to change my my post name....that's what it gave me when I registered.Cool
#15 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 5:21:04 PM(UTC)
Chocgirl6002a2366d

Scottiemom,
What are the color names in your blue and orange necklace? My college is that color too! They would be a huge hit! Online at Joann's or the site you listed?
Thanks again!!BigGrin
ScottieMom Offline
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 6:29:19 AM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

The Blue is #27 Navy-Confetti Ladder Yarn; the Orange is #24 Orange-Confetti Ladder Yarn. I ordered them both from Creative Fiber Arts. They have really quick shipping too. I have ordered from them a lot and have always been very satisfied.

Good luck with your Open House! I'm going to be doing my very first craft show next Saturday so I am anxious and excited! It's small but it will be a good place to start. I've got scarves, necklaces, aprons and all kinds of papercrafts.

My name is Scottiemom because we have two Scottish Terriers - we did have three - but Scarlet crossed the Rainbow Bridge last year. We also have two black labs. That's what happens when all the kids grow up!

Happy Crafting!
#17 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:11:12 AM(UTC)
Chocgirl6002a2366d

Thanks for sharing again!!
I am so excited to have other selections other than the Ruffle Scarves I've been working on. I will have other crafty items from other friends at the open house also. Her house in November and my house in the spring.
I have a morkie and a new Sheltie.....he will be a yr old next month. Got him after my other also crossed Rainbow Bridge in March . He was almost 14, got cancer in his shoulder . These two boys are my "fur children" and makes empty nesting so much easier! I will have to remember to not ignore them as I dive heavily into theses crocheted projects. Haven't crocheted for years and forgot how much I love it and doing these is much more fun than an afghan which you couldn't do over and over again!
Haven't sold hand crafted items before so not sure how to price them but have time to ponder that I guess.
Happy Fall!
#18 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:53:10 PM(UTC)
Chocgirl6002a2366d

Working on Flirt scarf.......
Am I doing something wrong if most of the ruffles aren't twisting around and are in somewhat of a line?
And which side of the ribbon is front.....the side with just the black stitches? I'm seeing a lot of the more stitched side.
Thanks, it's just not looking like yours very much but does look good when I put two together and twist.
ScottieMom Offline
#19 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 5:28:38 PM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

I have found that after I am finished with the scarf and shake the ruffles out it fluffs them up and you can't see the black thread as much. I think it looks better when you have the scarf doubled - looks more full.
#20 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:14:21 AM(UTC)
Chocgirl6002a2366d

Thanks again! I also found that if you turn /twist the previous ruffle when doing the next one it really helps.
I am assuming you use the whole skein if it's going to be doubled and the length is good. I may twist it together and sew down in the middle in a few places.
Just a thought.Wink
ScottieMom Offline
#21 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:55:10 AM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

Good Idea! Yes, I did use the entire skein for the scarf - it was so long that's why I doubled it.

Hope to see pictures!!
cricaholic Offline
#22 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 9:28:32 AM(UTC)
cricaholic

Wub WOW!! your necklaces are BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Tongue but I can't crochet...Laugh so no enableing this time...
I finished a hooded scarf for myself...I'm still working on the Sashay ruffled scarves and I really want to make a ruffle "flirt" scarf!!!
OhMyGod I really need to get busy... the holidays are upon us...I'm so far behind......eeekkkk
cricaholic Offline
#23 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 9:33:23 AM(UTC)
cricaholic

It is my absolute pleasure to be an enablerLOL LOL It was hard to just choose a few I know!

My scarf is just the entire skein/flat crocheted with 4 loops for each ruffle. The scarf in the picture is the entire scarf wrapped around twice - so it makes the ruffles extra full.

I think the next one I make I will sew the ends together and make an infinity scarf.

Happy knitting/crocheting!!!

Flapper I don't crochet, I'm going to use my knifty Knitter..and make it like my other ruffle scarfs.
ScottieMom Offline
#24 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 10:27:55 AM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

Cricaholic, this type of crochet is so easy - I bet you can do it! All you have to do is make a slip knot, insert your crochet hook, then hook the next bit of yarn and pull through the loop. This is called a chain stitch. (I've even made scarves just using my fingers instead of a hook) I don't do Youtube, but I'm sure there are videos out there.

The trellis lace necklaces are just several strands of yarn each crocheted like this and then all the strands are ties together.

Good luck with your scarves - Post Pics!! Would love to see the hooded scarf!
cricaholic on 9/23/2013(UTC)
cricaholic Offline
#25 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 9:39:02 PM(UTC)
cricaholic

Cricaholic, this type of crochet is so easy - I bet you can do it! All you have to do is make a slip knot, insert your crochet hook, then hook the next bit of yarn and pull through the loop. This is called a chain stitch. (I've even made scarves just using my fingers instead of a hook) I don't do Youtube, but I'm sure there are videos out there.

The trellis lace necklaces are just several strands of yarn each crocheted like this and then all the strands are ties together.

Good luck with your scarves - Post Pics!! Would love to see the hooded scarf!

OhMyGod I thought your necklaces had beads in them....but after taking a closer look and checking the website I see theres no beads involvedThumpUp I THINK I can manage a chain stitchLaugh Laugh you've ENABLED ME AGAIN!!!!! I really like the top 2 necklaces, what color are they?
Huh Why do the top 2 necklaces look different than the bottom 2?

Woot Even though you've enabled me to try something new....its going to have to wait till AFTER the holidays...Cool I think the necklaces would make lovely Mothers Day gifts???
Scared I really need to get very busy on ALL my holidays projects.....I'm really behind....eeekkkk.......
ScottieMom Offline
#26 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:52:33 AM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

The two necklaces on the top are "Out of Sight" Gold and "Fall Fashion". They look different because I only used 7 strands for those necklaces (I used 10 for the college colors) - there are also different types of ladder ribbon yarn that make them a little more fuller.

My niece had a booth at a craft fair in May and I put these necklaces in her booth - I sold 15 of them. I charge $10 for mine. I first saw these at the Market in Charleston, SC and I paid $18 for one just to see how it was made. I thought that was a little high but I really wanted it. LOL LOL

I have more colors on my etsy shop - CreatedbyLenore - right now I am making Tiger's Eye, Emerald, Platinum Pearl, and Blue Raspberry. Such fun colors!
cricaholic Offline
#27 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:33:05 AM(UTC)
cricaholic

The two necklaces on the top are "Out of Sight" Gold and "Fall Fashion". They look different because I only used 7 strands for those necklaces (I used 10 for the college colors) - there are also different types of ladder ribbon yarn that make them a little more fuller.

My niece had a booth at a craft fair in May and I put these necklaces in her booth - I sold 15 of them. I charge $10 for mine. I first saw these at the Market in Charleston, SC and I paid $18 for one just to see how it was made. I thought that was a little high but I really wanted it. LOL LOL

I have more colors on my etsy shop - CreatedbyLenore - right now I am making Tiger's Eye, Emerald, Platinum Pearl, and Blue Raspberry. Such fun colors!

OhMyGod OH MY!! the "creative fibers" website has a lot of ladder yarn.....Razz I can't find the colors you mentioned.....What brand would you recomend for a "newbie"LOL ?
What kind of payments do they take?

Cool I found this video.....ThumbDown but I don't quite understand it and their necklace isn't pretty like yours....I'll try your version FIRST!!! ThumpUp Laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45KtmKk0kPA
ScottieMom Offline
#28 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:24:55 AM(UTC)
ScottieMom

United States

I don't know if they have changed the names but here is the link for the "Out of Sight" Gold
http://www.creativefiber...ic-ladder-trellis/Detail and I couldn't find the "Fall Fashion" either. Sometimes they sell out - but keep checking they will usually restock.

I have purchased several brands - Flame, Berlini, Plymouth, Dazzle, etc. - I would say for your first necklaces, don't use the mini-ladder yarn (it doesn't seem to have the same Wow factor - and try to use something with a metallic thread in it also).

They accept Paypal - and they also have free patterns also. I found another site that has the yarn - but I have never ordered from them.
http://www.sharonsyarns....lis-Type-Yarn/Categories

Good Luck!! Post Pictures too!
cricaholic on 9/26/2013(UTC)
cricaholic Offline
#29 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:32:40 PM(UTC)
cricaholic

I don't know if they have changed the names but here is the link for the "Out of Sight" Gold
http://www.creativefiber...ic-ladder-trellis/Detail and I couldn't find the "Fall Fashion" either. Sometimes they sell out - but keep checking they will usually restock.

I have purchased several brands - Flame, Berlini, Plymouth, Dazzle, etc. - I would say for your first necklaces, don't use the mini-ladder yarn (it doesn't seem to have the same Wow factor - and try to use something with a metallic thread in it also).

They accept Paypal - and they also have free patterns also. I found another site that has the yarn - but I have never ordered from them.
http://www.sharonsyarns....lis-Type-Yarn/Categories

Good Luck!! Post Pictures too!

ThumpUp PAYPAL! Thats all I need to hearLaugh Laugh I think my first necklace will be "out of sight"LOL LOL LOL

Edited by user Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:37:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cricaholic Offline
#30 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:36:23 PM(UTC)
cricaholic

Flapper FINALLY finished another ruffled scarf for a Christmas gift.
This is the Red Heart Boutique Sashay- color Conga....Wub I really like the greens and golds in this scarf...I might make me one...........laterLaugh