Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

dotter43f2bd278 Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:01:54 PM(UTC)
dotter43f2bd278

Groups: Registered

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Recently upgraded to the Cricut Expression with 12x12 mats. I cut out a project that I have done in the past on my Cricut Personal several times. This time though, after making the cut using a new 12x12 mat, I found the cardstock was so stuck onthe mat that it tore while I was removing it from the mat. I had stamped four sheets to cut and thought ok, since the mat is so new, perhaps it is because this was the first time I used it so I tried it again using the same mat. Again, it torn and stuck to the mat so bad I had to set it aside for later to peel it off, in pieces, bit by bit. I tried again with a new mat from a different package but had the same problem. Finally I was down to just one of my pre-stamped sheets and luckily I had not discarded my old 6x12 sheets so I was able to use the last sheet and complete at least one of my planned projects. These sheets are so sticky that when I try to pry off the paper is splits leaving large parts on the mat. The paper I was able to get of is bent and curled with the effort of pulling it off. Does this always happen with the larger mat or did I just get two extra sticky mats?
CathyinMN Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:15:24 PM(UTC)
CathyinMN

Was thanked: 395 time(s) in 349 post(s)
With new mats that are very sticky you can treat them by pressing your hands all over the mat several times (after taking off the protective clear cover) so the oil from your hands gets onto the mat and helps take some of the stickiness from it. Another thing you can do is press a clean t-shirt all over the mat to take some of the stickiness away. I hope this helps!
 3 users thanked CathyinMN for this useful post.
dotter43f2bd278 on 1/13/2012(UTC), addicted2crafts on 1/26/2012(UTC), cathymorrow2ef953795 on 4/8/2014(UTC)
maharetmab21ad21 Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:26:51 PM(UTC)
maharetmab21ad21

Angry i'm so frustrated my neck veins are pulsing. my mat isn't sticky enough and i only used it ONCE last night. now my little circles are getting stuck and popping off in the middle of my project. nothing touched my mat since last night and i put the protective cover back on it too. grrrrrrrrrrrr.

i figure i must have put my protective cover on the wrong way. i thought i'd at least give you an idea you could use. lol

Edited by user Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:28:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: left out a possibly helpful tip...

dotter43f2bd278 Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 1:25:24 AM(UTC)
dotter43f2bd278

Thanks for the suggestion. I can emphasize also with the non-sticky mat comment which has usually been my problem so I was shocked to come across the gorilla glue mat which refused to release the paper and even more distressed that I ruined three potential projects in the process. I am off now to apply hands-on to my new mats.

Edited by user Friday, January 13, 2012 1:26:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PaperKrafter4Life Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:42:52 PM(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life

United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 141 post(s)
for the not so sticky at first Imagine mats they say to wet them to activate the stickiness. for mats that are too sticky like your Cricut mat, yes press your hands on them to lower the tackiness, but also it is best to not use thin paper when cutting at first on such sticky mats. Mine always tore so went to using heavier cardstock with a new sticky sticky mat....problem solved
j.beddow28524a8c Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:42:13 PM(UTC)
j.beddow28524a8c

Hi, I am a new member to the community from England. I had the cricut create (black) I couldn't wait to try it - wow, sticky mat or what. I used mirri card, followed the instructions for pressure etc. and the whole card stuck on the mat and wouldn't come off. I spoiled several more cards, and have only had one success. I have tried many emails to various sources to ask what I had done wrong - then I came across this posting - so thank you so much for the advice and I cannot wait to try it out, saving my vellums and lighter weight papers til the mat has lost its super tack. Thank you again for the advice. JacquiBigGrin BigGrin
ashandjaye21a323c Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2012 11:50:53 AM(UTC)
ashandjaye21a323c

I have had the same problem!! It is very frustrating! Glare I will be trying to "unsticky" my mat with my hands later! Thanks for the advice!! BigGrin

Edited by user Friday, January 27, 2012 11:54:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mrskleinjans70eae1a5 Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 7:51:07 PM(UTC)
mrskleinjans70eae1a5

I know I'm a little late to the party but I found this post and thought I might share my little trick. I wash my mats with just regular dawn dish soap and a scrub brush when they get all gunk-ed up. After they dry they tend to be super sticky which for me is usually a good thing, however when I need to cut foils or vinyl it will usually rip the crap out of it. I take Baby Powder...sprinkle a small amount on my hands...sometimes make a few claps and then rub my hands over the mat lightly. then i take my foil and test a corner to see if it pulls up easily. If I feel comfortable with how sticky the mat is I go through my normal steps of cutting. If not i put a little more baby powder on my hands. Since I wash my mats this method works well for me because if I need it stickier for another project all i need to do is take it to the sink and wash it. Hope this tip helps other people. Also would love to hear if anyone else uses this method...or if you try it let me know what you think!! Happy Cutting everyone!
bysandra56f614f5 Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 2:04:25 PM(UTC)
bysandra56f614f5

Originally Posted by: dotter43f2bd278 Go to Quoted Post
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Recently upgraded to the Cricut Expression with 12x12 mats. I cut out a project that I have done in the past on my Cricut Personal several times. This time though, after making the cut using a new 12x12 mat, I found the cardstock was so stuck onthe mat that it tore while I was removing it from the mat. I had stamped four sheets to cut and thought ok, since the mat is so new, perhaps it is because this was the first time I used it so I tried it again using the same mat. Again, it torn and stuck to the mat so bad I had to set it aside for later to peel it off, in pieces, bit by bit. I tried again with a new mat from a different package but had the same problem. Finally I was down to just one of my pre-stamped sheets and luckily I had not discarded my old 6x12 sheets so I was able to use the last sheet and complete at least one of my planned projects. These sheets are so sticky that when I try to pry off the paper is splits leaving large parts on the mat. The paper I was able to get of is bent and curled with the effort of pulling it off. Does this always happen with the larger mat or did I just get two extra sticky mats?

It's not good to try to post a reply on this forum if you're already frustrated from using two overly sticky mats and one under. This is ridiculous. I'm ready to take my cricut expression back and get a pair of scissors. I've ruined so much paper and haven't done anything. Waste, waste, waste. I'm going to try some of these things. I had the Mini and I loved it and ready to go buy another one. So far I hate my Cricut, and I was so excited to get it. How do you post a note on this forum?
Sorry if I sound grumpy. groan.

mcmburke35735d7e7f5 Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 03, 2013 2:59:45 PM(UTC)
mcmburke35735d7e7f5

I will try a few of your suggestions but this is very frustrating. I haven't been able to remove one of my characters from the mat without it ripping apart. This should not be happening. I was so looking fun to making some of these projects but this has taken all the fun away.
Needed to vent. Shirley
virginia authement Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 06, 2013 5:22:34 AM(UTC)
virginia authement

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I too am having trouble with the new mats being too sticky. The old ones needed more glue and now that they came out with the new ones that offer 3 different types their too sticky. I purchased the standard and strong weight and I'm still trying get the mats to work. (too sticky) I also have wasted lots of paper and time. I tried patting my hands all over the mats to transfer oil from my hands and it is still eating my paper. Tried all different weights and colors of paper. I even left the clear protective cover off the mat for 7 hours and the mat was still too sticky. The shapes cut well but you can't remove them without tearing them or leaving parts of the shapes on the mat. As far as the left over paper on the mat that you didn't cut on, you cannot use it again because it is ruined, stressed, torn, curled and so on. I'm heading back to the store to get the "lightweight" to see if perhaps it won't be too sticky. I enjoy my cricut but haven't been able to adjust to the new mats. I hope "CRICUT" can find a solution soon. I love my cricut.
bettybfc37b303 Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:32:47 AM(UTC)
bettybfc37b303

For mats that are too sticky, try using an old t-shirt. Simply place t-shirt on mat and and press lightly. This will transfer some of the fibres from your t-shirt and reduce the stickiness enough so that papers won't be permanently attached to the mat.