Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

JaniceDavis Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:14:02 AM(UTC)
JaniceDavis

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My motherboard went out on my computer and I will be getting a new one. I understand CRICUT no longer supports DS. I like Craftroom ok, but there are just things on DS that I like better.

I hope I will be able to get it back on my computer.
scrapalette Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:41:55 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 8556 post(s)
When you get your new computer, call PC. CS can give you a new activation code for DS.
pink_hippo_designseb2540e7 Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 04, 2013 6:17:59 PM(UTC)
pink_hippo_designseb2540e7

I hope they help you. I am beyond frustrated with provocraft not supporting design studio. I was so excited 3 years ago when I finally got a laptop, because then I could take my beloved DS to crops. It installed fine, but was never able to be fully functional. Tech support could never figure it out and I quit trying after a year or so. You could cut one layer, but when you tried to cut a shadow layer it would freak out, errors, etc.

As for craft room - what a joke. A clunky, clumsy program. You have no ability to control individual letters in a meld, and as we all know, things do not always line up and must be corrected. Plus, I have personal cricut, so the mat view is with 6 inches in the horizontal, 12 inches in the vertical. You can not correct this, so don't plan on making boarders or anything larger than 5 inches, or you will have a ridiculously sore neck.
scrapalette Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 08, 2013 8:02:51 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Originally Posted by: pink_hippo_designseb2540e7 Go to Quoted Post
I hope they help you. I am beyond frustrated with provocraft not supporting design studio. I was so excited 3 years ago when I finally got a laptop, because then I could take my beloved DS to crops. It installed fine, but was never able to be fully functional. Tech support could never figure it out and I quit trying after a year or so. You could cut one layer, but when you tried to cut a shadow layer it would freak out, errors, etc.

As for craft room - what a joke. A clunky, clumsy program. You have no ability to control individual letters in a meld, and as we all know, things do not always line up and must be corrected. Plus, I have personal cricut, so the mat view is with 6 inches in the horizontal, 12 inches in the vertical. You can not correct this, so don't plan on making boarders or anything larger than 5 inches, or you will have a ridiculously sore neck.

You can have control over individual letters in CCR. You just put them on the mat individually from the keypad, like in DS and not through the Text Box feature. I do it all the time. Then, you click on the individual letter and you can move it as much as you want. I also will sometimes use the Text Box feature and type part of a word, add it to the mat and the use another Text Box to complete the word. Then, I have two "parts" to move around.

You can also zoom out on the mat in CCR and still design straight across the mat and into the white space. Once you have your design complete, select it all and rotate it and then you're ready to cut.
Olivia'sNana Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, September 09, 2013 2:59:35 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 925 time(s) in 457 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pink_hippo_designseb2540e7 Go to Quoted Post
You have no ability to control individual letters in a meld, and as we all know, things do not always line up and must be corrected.

You can ungroup the text box and move individual images around as you like and then regroup. After it regroups, the edit text becomes edit group and you can continue to edit individual images in the group. not sure about the not lining up - I never have problems with image layers not lining up. As far as something not lining up in a straight row, you can use your x & y coordinates to put images in the exact same alignment horizontally and/or vertically

as scrapelette said, you can design horzontially on your mat and beyond into the margins and then rotate either mannually by using the resizer rotate handle or just type in 90 in the rotate box in the shape properties tool box and it will flip a perfect vertical 90 degrees and then you can move where ever on the mat you want it to be. you can do this with individual iamges or left click and hold and slide the resizer box around all of your images and rotate all at once.

Edited by user Monday, September 09, 2013 3:07:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ilovmy3kidzb8fb1ddd Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:06:30 AM(UTC)
ilovmy3kidzb8fb1ddd

No, letter's don't always line up within a text box. They also don't always line up with their shadows. You also lose control of the individual letters. For example: if I want to type "Falling" in san-serif, and cut it welded with a shadow. If i simply use the button to scooch the letters closer, the "l", "l" and "i" become virtually unreadable, forming a rectangle. What I do in DS is nudge "Fal" touching in a weld, nudge "l" close, but not touching, and nudge "ing" touching. Then nudge the letters in the shadow later to correspond. That way I end up with a unified title (due to the shadow being one piece) but the letters in the top layer being readable. The only way to achieve this in crap room is to make every individual letter and shadow it's own text box. Obviously awkward and time consuming.

As for the type it sideways, then shift 90 degrees to cut, that's great if you are only doing single words or phrases. I do far more complicated cuts, if I new how to upload a .jpg I would post a few so you would see what I mean.

File Attachment(s):
toy story midway mania.jpg (1,521kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
Four Parks One World.jpg (1,687kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
ilovmy3kidzb8fb1ddd attached the following image(s):
earful tower.jpg
titan cuts.jpg
scrapalette Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:09:01 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Originally Posted by: ilovmy3kidzb8fb1ddd Go to Quoted Post
No, letter's don't always line up within a text box. They also don't always line up with their shadows. You also lose control of the individual letters. For example: if I want to type "Falling" in san-serif, and cut it welded with a shadow. If i simply use the button to scooch the letters closer, the "l", "l" and "i" become virtually unreadable, forming a rectangle. What I do in DS is nudge "Fal" touching in a weld, nudge "l" close, but not touching, and nudge "ing" touching. Then nudge the letters in the shadow later to correspond. That way I end up with a unified title (due to the shadow being one piece) but the letters in the top layer being readable. The only way to achieve this in crap room is to make every individual letter and shadow it's own text box. Obviously awkward and time consuming.

As for the type it sideways, then shift 90 degrees to cut, that's great if you are only doing single words or phrases. I do far more complicated cuts, if I new how to upload a .jpg I would post a few so you would see what I mean.

If you need the mat grid to design, just tell CCR you're using an E and use the 12x12 mat. Change it before you are ready to cut your design. Your cuts are great, but they aren't too complicated to use CCR for.

You can also do in CCR just what you do in DS, by welding the shadow first and then doing "groups" of the other letters to create the top layer.
MaryStillman Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:23:43 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1249 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ilovmy3kidzb8fb1ddd Go to Quoted Post

Beautiful cuts! I have the mini. Sometimes in CCR I design off the mat on the side, and then when I am ready, drag onto the mat and rotate. I agree about getting a sore neck from the orientation of the mat! I mostly use the gypsy because of that.

Mary
HoustonChick Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 6:07:42 PM(UTC)
HoustonChick

I agree with those of you frustrated with the design process in CCR. Why should I have to design sideways, out into the white area, or tell it I have a 12 x 12 mat and am using the E just to get a grid and then have to rotate it? That's ridiculous! Is it that hard for Cricut to make the 6 x 12 mat horizontal?

And why stop doing updates for DS? Come on Cricut, some of us don't have access to the internet when at a crop and would really like to continue to use DS, as long as it's working properly.
scrapalette Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 05, 2013 7:55:22 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

The mats are designed for CCR, the way they feed into the Cricut. You could use the Feedback option in CCR and let the CCR team know you prefer a horizontal mat. It doesn't mean they will change it, but at least they would know you prefer it. Many of us have requested the option to rotate the mat. I think the more people that request it {in CCR where it is seen by the CCR team} the more serious they will take the request.

DS is built on an old computer platform and language and I've heard it cannot read the way the new images are being vectorized. It really doesn't make sense to spend money on an outdated program. They've provided free updates to DS for 5+ years now. Your DS won't stop working, it just won't have any more carts added.
Larkspur Online
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:13:40 PM(UTC)
Larkspur

United States

Was thanked: 2454 time(s) in 1717 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
When you get your new computer, call PC. CS can give you a new activation code for DS.

Do I need to have access to my old computer to do this??