Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

mylilhaven067a2732 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:16:24 PM(UTC)
mylilhaven067a2732

Groups: Registered

Hi all! I bought Hobby Lobby's own brand of vinyl today when I was in the store because they were out of the cricut brand and it keeps bunching up on me and its not cutting all the way through the paper backing. We live in the middle of nowhere so it's a big trip for me to go to the store to get supplies. I was wondering if anyone has tried using their brand of vinyl before and had any success. I am using a cricut cake to cut it but I have used it many times to cut cricut vinyl and had no issues. It could be one of many problems: just bad vinyl, my blade needs to be changed (forgot to pick them up at the store, wah!), my pressure or blade depth, basically anything could be wrong with it. I don't think it's the blade because I have only used it twice, but it was to cut vinyl and I cut both my girls names out with it and each letter was pretty big. I hate to make a trip back to the city just to get blades or new vinyl but I really need to get this project going. If anyone else has ever tried using Hobby Lobby's vinyl please let me know how it worked for you or if anyone has any suggestions on what it could be if not the blades. Thanks! :)
Sherri Kay Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:11:15 AM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2414 time(s) in 2166 post(s)
First of all, you don't want to cut through the paper backing. You will want to do what is called a kiss cut. Blade at 3, Pressure at 3 and Speed at 3. Make sure you have a good mat. If your mat is not sticky enough, you can tape the edges down so that it doesn't bunch up. Hope this helps you with your vinyl cutting! BigGrin
 2 users thanked Sherri Kay for this useful post.
mylilhaven067a2732 on 10/27/2013(UTC), bray082009b3cebf49 on 11/15/2013(UTC)
deleted Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 7:07:34 AM(UTC)
deleted

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 54 post(s)
If it is Hobby Lobby brand vinyl - it stinks.

If it says Oracal 631 on the back - that is good vinyl...

As Sherri Kay said - you DO NOT cut though the paper! Just cut through the very thin vinyl. You then "weed" off the excess vinyl, but leave the actual design you want on the paper backing. Then you use transfer tape to remove the vinyl from the paper and apply it to whatever you want.

Watch the videos at Expressions Vinyl - it will help you out a bunch!!! There are a couple specifically for the cricut - how to cut, how to apply, and how to use heat transfer vinyl.

I order my vinyl from them because I don't live close to anyplace that has vinyl. Their prices are reasonable also.

Use Oracal 631 for walls or anything you want to be removable.

Use Oracal 651 for permanent applications... but NEVER on walls...

Expressions Vinyl how to cut vinyl on your Cricut.
 1 user thanked deleted for this useful post.
mylilhaven067a2732 on 10/27/2013(UTC)
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 4:48:04 PM(UTC)
mylilhaven067a2732

Thanks! I have always cut through my vinyl and just peeled off the back. Mostly because I don't use the transfer tape very much. I am using a new mat, the vinyl won't stay in place but the paperbacking will. :( The vinyl doesn't feel very sticky though. The cricut vinyl I have used is so sticky that I have had issues with placing it before. Maybe the Hobby Lobby vinyl just isn't as good. It stinks I bought a whole bunch hoping it would work. Looks like I will be returning it. Maybe I could get me more blades then too.
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 9:58:25 PM(UTC)
mylilhaven067a2732

It was just the vinyl! I had some contact paper and tried it on that and it worked like a charm! I am disappointed that I bought all that vinyl. I am not sure I saved my receipt. Sad