Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

heather.waddingtonb56753be Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:47:20 PM(UTC)
heather.waddingtonb56753be

Groups: Registered

So I was able to 'acquire' a pre-used Gypsy, and it arrived today...now that it is here I suddenly realized I didn't do enough research before I bought it... So, I have a few questions...

First: It can preloaded with about 43 cartridges. Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out how to understand all the layer in the books, let alone when I am only seeing one layer at a time, and NEVER the finished product together. Where can I find books, or maybe pdf files of the books so I can print them out and start a binder for referencing?

Next: As I said there are 43 cartridges loaded on the Gypsy already, I know I cant use these images in my craftroom, but does that also mean I cant hook the Gypsy to my computer and link the cartridges I have in my craftroom to it? What happens if I try to load a cartridge I have linked to my craftroom into my Gypsy? Can I do that? I would try it, but I am worried it might mess up the cartridges already there. Obviously part of the appeal I had for buying it was the access to all the cartridges, since I don't have many myself...I just wish I might have understood it a little better....

Any help/advice would be great, Thanks!!

MaryStillman Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:12:03 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1249 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: heather.waddingtonb56753be Go to Quoted Post
So I was able to 'acquire' a pre-used Gypsy, and it arrived today...now that it is here I suddenly realized I didn't do enough research before I bought it... So, I have a few questions...

First: It can preloaded with about 43 cartridges. Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out how to understand all the layer in the books, let alone when I am only seeing one layer at a time, and NEVER the finished product together. Where can I find books, or maybe pdf files of the books so I can print them out and start a binder for referencing?

Next: As I said there are 43 cartridges loaded on the Gypsy already, I know I cant use these images in my craftroom, but does that also mean I cant hook the Gypsy to my computer and link the cartridges I have in my craftroom to it? What happens if I try to load a cartridge I have linked to my craftroom into my Gypsy? Can I do that? I would try it, but I am worried it might mess up the cartridges already there. Obviously part of the appeal I had for buying it was the access to all the cartridges, since I don't have many myself...I just wish I might have understood it a little better....

Any help/advice would be great, Thanks!!

Congratulations. I have a gypsy and I use it extensively.

The cartridges may not link to CCR if the person that sold you the gypsy had already linked the carts. You can try by opening CCR and under the menu on the top left hand side of the screen (File Edit Options Help), choose Options and then Link Gypsy. Make sure your Gypsy is turned on and connected to your computer. If the cartridge have not been linked, you may be able to link the cartridges to CCR. If the gypsy has already been linked you will not be able to do so.

You can find the pdf files for each cart under the Shop menu. Go to the cartridge you want to download the pdf for and go to the details of the cart. There will be a link to the pdf to download it. The pdf files are large and can take a bit of time to load. Once the pdf loads, you have the option of saving it to your computer, which is what I have done.

You should be aware that if anything happens to your gypsy and you have to reset it, the carts that came with it might disappear, and you won't be able to get those back. If you are able to link the carts to CCR, then you will be able to get the carts back.

If you need any help with the gypsy, be sure to ask for it.

Mary
scrapalette Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:25:37 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 8556 post(s)
When someone links a cart, either with a gypsy or CCR, it is actually linking to the owner's cricut.com account. So, whether the cart is linked via a gypsy or CCR, it cannot be linked to another account the other way.

The carts that are on the gypsy are linked to the original owner's account and you cannot link them to your account/CCR. Also, if the gypsy is reformatted and all the carts wiped off it, they really aren't wiped off the gypsy's memory. So to regain those carts on the gypsy, you would the need the actual, original cart that was linked. You can't just buy another copy of the same cart and link it. The gypsy will give an error message stating the cart is already linked.

If the carts you have linked in CCR are different carts than those that are already on the gypsy, they might not link. I think Cricut Sync will read the gypsy as belonging to the original owner's cricut.com account and your CCR account as belonging to your cricut.com account. It's probably best to call PC and ask the CS rep.

If you want a quick reference for the handbooks, I have a Cricut Cart Library page on my blog and you just click on the name of the cart and the PDF will open.
Debbie3997be8d64be Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2013 6:51:13 PM(UTC)
Debbie3997be8d64be

Hi,
I am new to the Cricut World, just bought a used one. What is the advantage of getting a gypsy? You can load more tha one cartridge onto it, create, and then hook it to the Cricut and hit cut? How does it cut without a cartridge in? so far I have figured out I have to have the single cartridge in I am using to get it to cut. So if you use a gypsy you can mix content of cartridges and get it to cut? What are the Gypsy cons? Why are they off the market?

Newbie Debbie
MaryStillman Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:08:19 AM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1249 time(s) in 792 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debbie3997be8d64be Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I am new to the Cricut World, just bought a used one. What is the advantage of getting a gypsy? You can load more tha one cartridge onto it, create, and then hook it to the Cricut and hit cut? How does it cut without a cartridge in? so far I have figured out I have to have the single cartridge in I am using to get it to cut. So if you use a gypsy you can mix content of cartridges and get it to cut? What are the Gypsy cons? Why are they off the market?

Newbie Debbie

You link a cartridge to the gypsy via the linking cable. If one did not come with your used one, you'll need to purchase one. You can find those under Clearance on the cricut website for $4.99.

Once you have the cartridges linked, you can design and cut from your linked cartridges and just design from any cartridge on the All Cartridges list. And yes, you can cut images on the same mat from any cartridge linked to your gypsy. You can also weld and manipulate images from different cartridges and cut, as long as those cartridges are linked to the gypsy.

It works much like CCR with welding and rotating. I think resizing is much easier on the gypsy.

Search YouTube for cricut gypsy tutorials. You'll find a lot of useful information there.

Why PC discontinued is anyone's guess. Eventually, PC will stop supporting the gypsy. What happens then, I don't know.

JMO

Mary
Tiffy Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 2:58:12 PM(UTC)
Tiffy

OK, so I purchased a new Gypsy 2 years ago & it is still sitting on a shelf! Why, it does NOT have any instructions/manual on how to use it. Mad Mad Mad Mad I feel as if I just thru that money down the ole toilet. No one I know owns one, so I can't go to anyone for help. Any suggestions out there or should I just get rid of it?????

Tiffy
scrapalette Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 3:02:47 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 8556 post(s)
Like most electronics, the manual for the Gypsy is online.
Tiffy Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 3:09:02 PM(UTC)
Tiffy

Thanks Scrapalette!

Maybe I will give it a try. Do I just Google "Gypsy manual???"

Tiffy
theproc0a14c052 Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:16:50 AM(UTC)
theproc0a14c052

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tiffy Go to Quoted Post
OK, so I purchased a new Gypsy 2 years ago & it is still sitting on a shelf! Why, it does NOT have any instructions/manual on how to use it. Mad Mad Mad Mad I feel as if I just thru that money down the ole toilet. No one I know owns one, so I can't go to anyone for help. Any suggestions out there or should I just get rid of it?????

Tiffy

Here is the link to the manual
http://content.cricut.co...ads/GypsyUserManual.pdf

Honestly, I watch alot of tutorials on YouTube to get instruction on Gypsy functions. I find Above Rubies Studio AWESOME on Tutorials. If it weren't for YouTube, I would never have used my Gypsy for anything but a doorstop. Honestly, I can't remember how to cut on my machine from the carts because I use my Gypsy exclusively. For me, this was the best product they ever turned out!

If you print the manual, skip printing the first page. It will use up all your ink as it is a black page.
 1 user thanked theproc0a14c052 for this useful post.
PandaUK on 11/27/2013(UTC)
Grammy Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 07, 2013 11:13:09 PM(UTC)
Grammy

Originally Posted by: Tiffy Go to Quoted Post

Tiffy

I purchased a video that was excellent from above rubies, titled : use your Gypsy A to Z.I recommende this 100%.
Sherri Kay Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 08, 2013 5:10:43 AM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2413 time(s) in 2165 post(s)
Sheila from She's A Sassy Lady has done very many tutorials for the Gypsy. Every Saturday she posted a new video and that's how I learned most of the functions and how-to's. Check her out! BigGrin