Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

GypsyD Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:50:18 AM(UTC)
GypsyD

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1215 time(s) in 829 post(s)
Hi. I am looking for help on how to size everything in CCR. I want to do the haunted house as large as I can get it, but when I do the other items, they do not come out the proper size. I also did this with another project I am trying to work on. I put the size that was in the original piece into the size for the second mat item and they did not come out proportionately. I don't want to waste sheets of paper on this manor. Can anyone help? I am eager to get this done.

Thanks a ton in advance for your help!

ETA: I just discovered I can't do the re-sizing of large objects as I don't have the option button. I will see if I can figure out how to update CCR.

Edited by user Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:22:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CricketCMV Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:31:25 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8166 time(s) in 4788 post(s)
GypsyD....not sure what you mean by the "option button".

When you place your objects on the mat/mats, you need to be sure RELATIVE SIZE is selected (at the bottom of the IMAGES screen (there are two squares with Aa; one is RELATIVE); actually, you select RELATIVE before you place anything on the mat/mats.

BE SURE YOU HAVE SELECTED ALL THE MAT LAYERS/IMAGES YOU NEED FOR THE IMAGE TO BEGIN WITH AS THIS MAKES IT ALL EASIER THAN WHEN YOU TRY TO WORK WITH A FEW LAYERS THEN ADD LAYERS LATER.

If you are working with multiple pieces, open a new mat layer for each piece you lay on the mats and place all of them in the upper left corner of each mat layer. You can size them ALL at the same time, by being sure the GREEN EYE is green at the top (on each mat layer).

Go to the FIRST mat layer; you should be able to work with all mat layers underneath that first mat layers image.

With all the mat layers open, be sure you are going to the upper most left of all images and left clicking....while holding the left click down, drag the mouse to the lower most right of all images and let up on the left click. THIS WILL GET THE HANDLES AROUND ALL IMAGES.

Now, you can go to the lower right corner circle with the arrow in it and left click holding the left click down and DRAGGING that corner all the way to the bottom of the screen or as big as you can make your images without going outside the 1/4" shadow inside the mat on all four sides.

Be sure to SAVE.

When working with all the layers of images, you must SIZE ALL OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME. It's easy to forget and resize something before you get all the layers on; but, you HAVE to resize them all at the same time.

Now, you might forget to add a layer and need to go get it. In this case, you can try to resize that one image to match all the others by having one of the green eyes open. Merely drag your image (resize) to match the one on the screen.

Hope this helps you a little!!

Char

Edited by user Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:33:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
GypsyD on 10/27/2013(UTC)
GypsyD Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 8:54:07 AM(UTC)
GypsyD

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1215 time(s) in 829 post(s)
This was helpful. Thank you. I was really struggling when the images were really big and covering the whole mat. Oi! The "Options" button I saw on a video I watched. It was how it used to look. They now have all of the buttons at the bottom. It was just updated Oct 18, I see.

I now have all of my pieces cut out for the haunted house. I will know soon enough if it worked!

Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post

When you place your objects on the mat/mats, you need to be sure RELATIVE SIZE is selected (at the bottom of the IMAGES screen (there are two squares with Aa; one is RELATIVE); actually, you select RELATIVE before you place anything on the mat/mats.

BE SURE YOU HAVE SELECTED ALL THE MAT LAYERS/IMAGES YOU NEED FOR THE IMAGE TO BEGIN WITH AS THIS MAKES IT ALL EASIER THAN WHEN YOU TRY TO WORK WITH A FEW LAYERS THEN ADD LAYERS LATER.

If you are working with multiple pieces, open a new mat layer for each piece you lay on the mats and place all of them in the upper left corner of each mat layer. You can size them ALL at the same time, by being sure the GREEN EYE is green at the top (on each mat layer).

Go to the FIRST mat layer; you should be able to work with all mat layers underneath that first mat layers image.

With all the mat layers open, be sure you are going to the upper most left of all images and left clicking....while holding the left click down, drag the mouse to the lower most right of all images and let up on the left click. THIS WILL GET THE HANDLES AROUND ALL IMAGES.

Now, you can go to the lower right corner circle with the arrow in it and left click holding the left click down and DRAGGING that corner all the way to the bottom of the screen or as big as you can make your images without going outside the 1/4" shadow inside the mat on all four sides.

Be sure to SAVE.

When working with all the layers of images, you must SIZE ALL OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME. It's easy to forget and resize something before you get all the layers on; but, you HAVE to resize them all at the same time.

Now, you might forget to add a layer and need to go get it. In this case, you can try to resize that one image to match all the others by having one of the green eyes open. Merely drag your image (resize) to match the one on the screen.

Char

1 user thanked GypsyD for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 10/27/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:45:17 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

How did it go? Glad I was able to help you, GypsyD!

Char
jscraftylady Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:31:45 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2333 time(s) in 1252 post(s)

Be sure to SAVE.

Char

This is something I have trouble with in CCR. On my Gypsy when the relative size button is selected, I can lay down the image layers and select the same height (or width) for each layer individually and they always match up. This sometimes works for me in CCR, but more often than not if I try to size them individually with relative size selected they do not match up. I can't figure out why.

I do what you suggest and select them all at once and resize and then I copy/paste pieces to other mats if I am, for example, going to cut each mat by paper color or pattern. I just can't figure out why the relative size button doesn't work quite the same way in CCR.
Narelle Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:56:40 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7885 time(s) in 3692 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
This is something I have trouble with in CCR. On my Gypsy when the relative size button is selected, I can lay down the image layers and select the same height (or width) for each layer individually and they always match up. This sometimes works for me in CCR, but more often than not if I try to size them individually with relative size selected they do not match up. I can't figure out why.

I do what you suggest and select them all at once and resize and then I copy/paste pieces to other mats if I am, for example, going to cut each mat by paper color or pattern. I just can't figure out why the relative size button doesn't work quite the same way in CCR.

On the Gypsy I think objects are automatically grouped arent they. (I don't use my Gypsy enough to be sure.) If that's the case then changing the size on one piece will also change the others in that group.

But on CCR the images arent automatically grouped. So if you resize one the others dont change. If you were to select them all and use the Group button on the toolbar i guess it would work in a similar way to the Gypsy. But then of course you'd have to ungroup them if you want to cut and paste the layers to different mats.
CricketCMV Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:16:10 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

That's funny; I don't do any grouping. Now, as Narelle says, maybe using the Gypsy and the CCR together don't work in CCR the way just using CCR from my CRICUT machine and my computer work. I don't know why it would be different, though.

I just use the RELATIVE SIZE button (I don't have to click on it each time I place an image layer on the mat).

YOU DO HAVE TO BE SURE YOU HAVE SELECTED EVERY IMAGE you're working with (e.g., the images all the way at the bottom of the screen....sometimes they can be missed if the IMAGES TAB is still open because you can't see the whole mat when you select your images, so be sure to collapse the IMAGES TAB when you're selecting ALL the images.

I don't know what else to say; other than, I don't have any problems with resizing anything in CCR (just using my computer, CCR and my Expression or MINI). Everything always resizes together.

When someone is having this problem, maybe you could tell us exactly the images you have on your mat so some of us can see if we have problems with those same images. I suppose it is possible that some images aren't programmed in correctly and in that case, maybe they don't resize together the way they should.

Char
jscraftylady Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:49:42 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: Narelle Go to Quoted Post
On the Gypsy I think objects are automatically grouped arent they. (I don't use my Gypsy enough to be sure.) If that's the case then changing the size on one piece will also change the others in that group.

But on CCR the images arent automatically grouped. So if you resize one the others dont change. If you were to select them all and use the Group button on the toolbar i guess it would work in a similar way to the Gypsy. But then of course you'd have to ungroup them if you want to cut and paste the layers to different mats.

They are only grouped if you bring them into the same mat at the same time. I bring the image layers onto different mats at different times because I cut one mat of one color cardstock at the same time. As long as the relative size button is hit, I can individually resize the image layers to, for example, 3 inches tall and they will match up. You can't do this with any reliability in CCR which is why I have to do the group, resize, cut and paste if I want to make different mats.

If they image isn't too large, I will usually just keep the different layers off the mat and move them over by color as I cut different papers. But this doesn't work if you want to cut the layers very large because you "lose" some cuts off the screen and can't get them back.
jscraftylady Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:57:59 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

That's funny; I don't do any grouping. Now, as Narelle says, maybe using the Gypsy and the CCR together don't work in CCR the way just using CCR from my CRICUT machine and my computer work. I don't know why it would be different, though.

I just use the RELATIVE SIZE button (I don't have to click on it each time I place an image layer on the mat).

YOU DO HAVE TO BE SURE YOU HAVE SELECTED EVERY IMAGE you're working with (e.g., the images all the way at the bottom of the screen....sometimes they can be missed if the IMAGES TAB is still open because you can't see the whole mat when you select your images, so be sure to collapse the IMAGES TAB when you're selecting ALL the images.

I don't know what else to say; other than, I don't have any problems with resizing anything in CCR (just using my computer, CCR and my Expression or MINI). Everything always resizes together.

When someone is having this problem, maybe you could tell us exactly the images you have on your mat so some of us can see if we have problems with those same images. I suppose it is possible that some images aren't programmed in correctly and in that case, maybe they don't resize together the way they should.

Char

Grouping in CCR is just the same as selecting all the images. It works differently with the Gypsy, though.

I don't use a Gypsy with CCR. I was explaining the difference between CCR and the Gypsy.

Here is an example. Take an image with three layers. Put each layer on a different mat. With relative size selected, change the height on those layers all to 3 inches. In CCR, they will not match up. On the Gypsy, they will. The picture shows the three layers of the cow all sized to 3 inches using Relative Size. They do not match up. CCR does not size the layers relative to each other unless you size them all at the same time. This is not true on the Gypsy.
jscraftylady attached the following image(s):
CCR.JPG
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 10/31/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:47:15 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

They are only grouped if you bring them into the same mat at the same time. I bring the image layers onto different mats at different times because I cut one mat of one color cardstock at the same time. As long as the relative size button is hit, I can individually resize the image layers to, for example, 3 inches tall and they will match up. You can't do this with any reliability in CCR which is why I have to do the group, resize, cut and paste if I want to make different mats.

If they image isn't too large, I will usually just keep the different layers off the mat and move them over by color as I cut different papers. But this doesn't work if you want to cut the layers very large because you "lose" some cuts off the screen and can't get them back.

Would it help you if you use the original mat (the first one) for all the images, but lay them on top of each other and resize them all at the same time that way. (When I do this, I tell my MAIN image to MOVE FORWARD...and I tell all the other images to MOVE BACKWARD. This way, you are seeing the main image being sized exactly the size you want it to be. I also turn off COLORS and work with outline images)

Then, after you resize, when you click on the top image and pull it off you can decide if you need to move some of those images over to another mat layer (because you are aware that you won't be able to leave them all on that original mat because there's not enough room?

I do that sometimes, rather than open the green eyes on all mat layers to do my resizing. Honestly, I never have the issues of them not all resizing together. I can't imagine why some of us have that problem and others of us don't. I'm not saying I don't believe you; just don't understand why it happens for some.

Char

jscraftylady Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:19:05 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Would it help you if you use the original mat (the first one) for all the images, but lay them on top of each other and resize them all at the same time that way. (When I do this, I tell my MAIN image to MOVE FORWARD...and I tell all the other images to MOVE BACKWARD. This way, you are seeing the main image being sized exactly the size you want it to be. I also turn off COLORS and work with outline images)

Then, after you resize, when you click on the top image and pull it off you can decide if you need to move some of those images over to another mat layer (because you are aware that you won't be able to leave them all on that original mat because there's not enough room?

I do that sometimes, rather than open the green eyes on all mat layers to do my resizing. Honestly, I never have the issues of them not all resizing together. I can't imagine why some of us have that problem and others of us don't. I'm not saying I don't believe you; just don't understand why it happens for some.

Char

Try this experiment and let me know what happens for you. Open up three mats in CCR. Choose an image that has at least layers. Put one layer on each mat. With Relative Size selected, change the height of each layer individually to 3 inches. Do the layers match up? When I do it, they do not.

However, you can do this with a Gypsy and everything will still be sized correctly, i.e. relative to some base layer.

ETA: It's not a big deal unless my mats get really messy and it becomes difficult to grab things and not others on multiple mats. It's just confusing for those of us who go back and forth between CCR and the Gypsy.

Edited by user Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:24:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CricketCMV Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:27:05 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Try this experiment and let me know what happens for you. Open up three mats in CCR. Choose an image that has at least layers. Put one layer on each mat. With Relative Size selected, change the height of each layer individually to 3 inches. Do the layers match up? When I do it, they do not.

However, you can do this with a Gypsy and everything will still be sized correctly, i.e. relative to some base layer.

ETA: It's not a big deal unless my mats get really messy and it becomes difficult to grab things and not others on multiple mats. It's just confusing for those of us who go back and forth between CCR and the Gypsy.

Why would I want to do that, jscraftylady? I mean, I can do all three at the same time. Why would I want to do them individually and risk sizing one 1/16" or 1/8" bigger than the other just trying to size them individually? I wouldn't even try that. I'm not trying to be belligerent or anything like that; I mean, if you really want me to do that, I'll try. If I were to do that, I would make sure all the dimensions say the exact same thing on each of the images at the top (where you see the measurements move as you size everything). You can be a number or two off on those numbers and you aren't going to get correct sizing.

I just don't see the point of sizing individually when you can size them all at the same time.

Now, if you're bring a layer on AFTER you have sized everything.....well, that's another story. In that case, if I have forgotten something and later want to add it in, then I lay that forgotten image with the main image and size it accordingly.

Just asking these questions to you without trying to create dissent. That's not what I'm trying to do.

Char

jscraftylady Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:30:43 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Why would I want to do that, jscraftylady? I mean, I can do all three at the same time. Why would I want to do them individually and risk sizing one 1/16" or 1/8" bigger than the other just trying to size them individually? I wouldn't even try that. I'm not trying to be belligerent or anything like that; I mean, if you really want me to do that, I'll try. If I were to do that, I would make sure all the dimensions say the exact same thing on each of the images at the top (where you see the measurements move as you size everything). You can be a number or two off on those numbers and you aren't going to get correct sizing.

I just don't see the point of sizing individually when you can size them all at the same time.

Now, if you're bring a layer on AFTER you have sized everything.....well, that's another story. In that case, if I have forgotten something and later want to add it in, then I lay that forgotten image with the main image and size it accordingly.

Just asking these questions to you without trying to create dissent. That's not what I'm trying to do.

Char

Oh, I'm not at all upset.

I do a lot of projects where I cut tons of stuff at the same time. I label each mat by the color paper I will be cutting. So all the pieces I want in black go on one layer, all the pieces I will cut in red on another mat, etc. I fill the mats up completely to use all my paper. This gets to be a pain in CCR because I have to select every layer together to resize relative to each other which can be tough when the mats are very full. When my mats get super full, I don't like to see all the layers at the same time because it get very confusing about what I am selecting.

It's not that what I want to do is hard or impossible. I just find it easier on my Gypsy and wish the two programs just worked the same way.
CricketCMV on 10/31/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:42:27 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19107 time(s) in 8538 post(s)
If relative size is selected and you put all the layers on different mats, have all the mats showing, draw a selection box around all the images, then you can set the height size in the tool bar at the top and they will resize proportionally.

Which is what Narelle said. . .in CCR you have to group the images once they are on the mats, on the gypsy, you don't.

And having to select the specific images you want from a bunch of images on a mat is the issue. If you only have the layers for one image on the mats, easy peasy.
Narelle Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:57:48 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7885 time(s) in 3692 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
If relative size is selected and you put all the layers on different mats, have all the mats showing, draw a selection box around all the images, then you can set the height size in the tool bar at the top and they will resize proportionally.

Which is what Narelle said. . .in CCR you have to group the images once they are on the mats, on the gypsy, you don't.

And having to select the specific images you want from a bunch of images on a mat is the issue. If you only have the layers for one image on the mats, easy peasy.

And... if your images are scattered all over the mats, hold down the Ctrl key then click each image until you have selected everything you want to resize.

It looks like I've selected everthing here:

But if I move the selection box to the right you can see that only the 3 parts of the baby carriage have been selected.

Then as Scrapalette said, you can then change the size in the Height box and all three pieces will change. (Use the size you want the base image to be...)

I know I said in my earlier post that you needed to group the items first... but in fact you don't. Selecting them at the same time is kind of like a temporary grouping anyway.....

But.... you are correct JSCraftyLady that the Gypsy does this differently in that when you resize images on different mats separately they stay in proportion. I wonder if that's because you can only change things on one mat at a time, whereas in CCR you can change things on multiple mats at the same time....

I have to say, I like the way it's done in CCR better as I only have to change the size once. And no tap-tap-tap-tap-tapping....... Cool Flapper Laugh

Edited by user Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:03:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jscraftylady Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, November 01, 2013 4:33:26 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: Narelle Go to Quoted Post
And... if your images are scattered all over the mats, hold down the Ctrl key then click each image until you have selected everything you want to resize.

It looks like I've selected everthing here:

But if I move the selection box to the right you can see that only the 3 parts of the baby carriage have been selected.

Then as Scrapalette said, you can then change the size in the Height box and all three pieces will change. (Use the size you want the base image to be...)

I know I said in my earlier post that you needed to group the items first... but in fact you don't. Selecting them at the same time is kind of like a temporary grouping anyway.....

But.... you are correct JSCraftyLady that the Gypsy does this differently in that when you resize images on different mats separately they stay in proportion. I wonder if that's because you can only change things on one mat at a time, whereas in CCR you can change things on multiple mats at the same time....

I have to say, I like the way it's done in CCR better as I only have to change the size once. And no tap-tap-tap-tap-tapping....... Cool Flapper Laugh

Narelle, thank you so much for this! I had tried to use CTRL-select and it always looked like it just grabbed everything. I never realized it did only select what I clicked.BigGrin

Narelle on 11/1/2013(UTC)