Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

pink-splosh Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 1:06:22 PM(UTC)
pink-splosh

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello BigGrin
Im very new and have got my cricut set up to my computer surprisingly.
Does anyone have any snippets of advice? Tips etc for a beginner?
I only have 3 cartridges at the moment. George & basic... Type candy font and elegant edges.
What would you suggest are good ones to get for card making?
Thank you for reading.
 1 user thanked pink-splosh for this useful post.
DarleneDuncan on 5/20/2014(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 6:13:03 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 352 time(s) in 236 post(s)
Two must have carts in my opinion are the; Art Philosophy cartridge by CTMH (Close to my Heart) and the Ultimate Creative Sampler by Cricut.

Both can be found on ebay. Both are pricey, but will give you alot of bang for your buck. Images for almost anything you would ever need.

CTMH also sells the Artiste and Artbooking cartridges. The CTMH carts also come with coordinating stamp sets and chipboard.

Also get some extra blades and mats. I buy the Roland 60 degree ( aka deep cut blades) in bulk on ebay also. That's the only blade I use now. Oh - and those nifty little tool kits that include spatulas, picks and a paper scraper.

Check out the projects section here on Cricut and also Pintrest. You'll be inspired.
 3 users thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
MomScrapper on 12/27/2013(UTC), PLZ do on 3/19/2014(UTC), DarleneDuncan on 5/20/2014(UTC)
southgirltexas Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:43:56 AM(UTC)
southgirltexas

Was thanked: 569 time(s) in 341 post(s)
I just bought Creative Cards and love it. I sat down when I got my cricut and made a list of things I thought I would use (some I realize now I really don't need) and looked for carts that might fit that list. Frames (Fancy Frames) Fonts (Billionare, Cyndy Loo, Gypsy Font) Flourish (Picturesque) and since I do a lot of heiritage books (Heiritage)

Make your list, go to Joy's Life Cut Cartridge, it is a list of cartridges or My cut search. Investigate what is out there and make your own list.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:47:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked southgirltexas for this useful post.
MomScrapper on 12/27/2013(UTC), PLZ do on 3/19/2014(UTC)
swagner214fe1d3e94 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2013 5:17:30 AM(UTC)
swagner214fe1d3e94

Hi, I'm another newbie. I'm working on my first project and can't find the right way to write what I want it to look like . Do I have to find a specific cart. With the letters connected to make it work. I'm trying to make a lower case "birthday" in cursive.
Thanks
Olivia'sNana Online
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2013 6:00:34 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 926 time(s) in 457 post(s)
Originally Posted by: swagner214fe1d3e94 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I'm another newbie. I'm working on my first project and can't find the right way to write what I want it to look like . Do I have to find a specific cart. With the letters connected to make it work. I'm trying to make a lower case "birthday" in cursive.
Thanks

good morning and welcome to the world of cricut.

The answer to your question depends on what you are using - just your machine or your machine with cricut craftroom (ccr)

Machine alone - you must own a cartridge that has a predesigned word with connected (welded) letters. The first photo that I have attached is a screen shot of a image search in ccr where i just typed in the word birthday and got these and several more results. The images shown are from a variety of cartridges. If you download the free craftroom software, whether you use it or not, you can do an image search and get for the most part pretty reliable results of what is available on cartridges. clicking on each image will show what cart it is from.

MAchine with ccr - you can do the same as above or you can use the weld feature to combine any letters and/or images together. The second attached image shows where i typed the word birthday using songbird cartridge and then reduced the letter spacing until they were welded like I want. You can design and play with any cartridge that pc has in ccr but you must own the cartridge or digital image to be able to cut your project out. CCR will open a whole new creative world with your machine, it is free to use, the only downside to using it is that you have to be connected to the internet. It is not cursive, but pc has a free font cartridge that can be used in ccr all the time and it has a few simple shapes as well.

hope this helps

Olivia'sNana attached the following image(s):
birthday.JPG
birthday1.JPG
swagner214fe1d3e94 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2013 12:52:01 PM(UTC)
swagner214fe1d3e94

Ok yeah I already had ccr downloaded, but had no idea how to use it or to link my cart. so I watched a few YouTube videos. Now I'm kind of waiting to hear something from cricut or pc because my one cart. didn't link up correctly. I'm going nuts. I wanted to have this project finished by next week !!
Thank you for the helpful info. I'm kinda flyin by the seat of my pants here.
Leanner Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2013 1:32:30 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1562 time(s) in 1150 post(s)
Use blue painters tape to hold thing down on the mat if they slip. It peels right off the paper and doesn't damage the machine if it cuts into it.
cralbritton46eaddfe Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:22:54 PM(UTC)
cralbritton46eaddfe

I want to monogram a car tag with my initials. How do I lower the first and third letter? Thank you for your help!
MomScrapper Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2013 7:55:46 PM(UTC)
MomScrapper

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
Two must have carts in my opinion are the; Art Philosophy cartridge by CTMH (Close to my Heart) and the Ultimate Creative Sampler by Cricut.

Both can be found on ebay. Both are pricey, but will give you alot of bang for your buck. Images for almost anything you would ever need.

CTMH also sells the Artiste and Artbooking cartridges. The CTMH carts also come with coordinating stamp sets and chipboard.

Also get some extra blades and mats. I buy the Roland 60 degree ( aka deep cut blades) in bulk on ebay also. That's the only blade I use now. Oh - and those nifty little tool kits that include spatulas, picks and a paper scraper.

Check out the projects section here on Cricut and also Pintrest. You'll be inspired.

Is the Art Philosophy cartridge only sold through a CTMH consulant or can you can get it at Joann's or Michael's TIA
CanadaJanice Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:09:30 AM(UTC)
CanadaJanice

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MomScrapper Go to Quoted Post
Is the Art Philosophy cartridge only sold through a CTMH consulant or can you can get it at Joann's or Michael's TIA

You need to go through a CTMH consultant.

CanadaJanice Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:11:55 AM(UTC)
CanadaJanice

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cralbritton46eaddfe Go to Quoted Post
I want to monogram a car tag with my initials. How do I lower the first and third letter? Thank you for your help!

I am assuming you intend to put the initials on a shape of some sort. Use CraftRoom and just lower those letters.
[img]null[/img]
GL Morrison Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 5:29:58 PM(UTC)
GL Morrison

Hello,
I have only used my Cricut Expressions for about an hour now! (I bought it used from a friend who upgrade to a newer model)
What I am noticing is that the blade is tearing the card stock in places. Example, I tried printing the phrase "Thank You". It is a pre-designed phrase so the words/letters are connected. I tried to dial down the pressure from 6 to 5 and that helped some, and I also changed from selecting "heavy card stock" to "medium card stock". Any other suggestions?
Thank you!