Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
BigTimeBookie Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:37:44 PM(UTC)
BigTimeBookie

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am writing this in hopes of helping the many who are having difficulty updating their Cricut Expression.

I spent hours on this and Torrie Webb at Provo Craft was a saint in helping me with this problem. So here are the steps she took me through to get my Cricut Expression fully updated and able to work in the Craft Room.

Intro ---

I have a Mac laptop and needed to update my Cricut. When I went online, I initially tried to use Cricut Sync. This is incompatible with the Expression and the pop up window instructed me to use the Craft Room to update. I did as instructed, however, I could get the update started but it wouldn't complete Step 3.

Since I haven't used my Cricut often when I turned it on and looked at the display, it said I had version 2.1. Torrie mentioned this is an old version and there have been several updates since then.

Because of that, I had to FIRST update my Cricut Expression through the Design Studio software. . So it would be a 2-part firmware update ----> Design Studio then Craft Room.

SIDE NOTES:

1. If your computer is not recognizing the Cricut, use another printer cable. This happened to me and using a different cable made a difference.

2. Remove the cartridge from your machine. The update will not complete if you have a cartridge inserted.

3. Reboot your computer before you start to clear out anything that could hinder your process.

4. This entire process takes about 30-40 minutes. Set aside this amount of time so your won't get frustrated as you go along.

5. If you have a Mac and need to first update using the Design Studio, you will have to update it first on a PC. The Design Studio apparently only had a version for the PC. I actually did the entire update on the PC and this does not affect future compatibility in anyway. I will use the Craft Room with my Mac.

6. When you plug in your Cricut on a PC, you will get this pop up asking if you want Windows to install software. Close or cancel this window. It means nothing and closing it won't affect your firmware update.

BACK TO THE UPDATE --

Download both of the files below to your PC. Once downloaded, RUN the first link. This link is going to install Design Studio software on your PC. As it is installing, it will pull information from the second link you downloaded and you won't need to do anything with the second download.

Link 1
http://mirror.cricut.com/cds/fontpack/CDS_10404220.exe

Link 2
http://mirror.cricut.com/cds/fontpack/FontUpdate_V121009.exe

When complete there will be a Design Studio icon on your desktop. Open it. It takes a minute or 3 to open. Once open, choose CONTINUE WITH TRIAL.

Then at the top of the screen choose HELP > Update Cricut Firmware. A window will appear and follow the instructions in that window. I suggest you read the instructions first and then try to execute them. Just my suggestion.

When this process is complete, you will have updated the firmware of your Cricut to something other than version 2.1.

NOTE: When I finished with part of the install, I turned my Cricut off and on again and the display still said I had version 2.1. So I wouldn't worry about that. Something has been updated even if the version on the Cricut doesn't change.

After this Design Studio part is complete, you can now go to the Craft Room and start the firmware update as directed there. If you wanted, you could revert to your Mac for this part of the update. It was just easier for me to stay on my PC, so I did. BigGrin

When you have completed the Craft Room update, your display will say version 2.43 and THIS is the version you need to utilize and print from the online Craft Room.

I hope this helps. BigGrin I am writing this for those who will find themselves trying to do this in the middle of the night after Provo Craft is closed. Don't throw the machine in the trash. What I have written above is wordy, but print it out first and follow it as it worked perfectly for me!!

Good luck and happy cutting!!

Provo Craft, updating firmware for Cricut Expression, Cricut Expression, firmware update, Design Studio, Cricut expresion firmware, software update cricut expression,

Edited by user Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:38:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

11 users thanked BigTimeBookie for this useful post.
NotGoingGreyGracefully on 6/2/2013(UTC), BJR on 7/22/2013(UTC), CraftyKick on 7/22/2013(UTC), kelsieltheiss2345265a on 10/12/2013(UTC), bray082009b3cebf49 on 11/14/2013(UTC), deb.kennedy7d16e0706 on 11/23/2013(UTC), duncnutz0dfbbaf9 on 1/31/2014(UTC), meg9ea7a391 on 2/9/2014(UTC), Sandycrafts on 3/7/2014(UTC), Tammi Sue on 3/25/2014(UTC), joanne-smith4cdfdcce on 5/5/2014(UTC)
caborulesc975c381 Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:37:54 PM(UTC)
caborulesc975c381

Just went through this whole process and am having the same problem as when I try to update thge firmware from CCR. Still won't work. It seems that my machine won't enter the update mode and I have no idea how to get it into the Update mode. Thanks for this info - too bad it didn't work for me.
sadlerbsf5572310 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:02:32 PM(UTC)
sadlerbsf5572310

I also encountered a problem with updating my Cricut Expression. I'm also using a Mac to update, and fortunately own a PC too. Using BigTimeBookie's directions in the exact specific order allowed me to update my Expression and finally use Craft Room.

On a side note, I'm quite disappointed with Cricut. I too tried to update on a Saturday, when of course, Support/Customer Service are not available. Instead of sitting on my hands, waiting for a reply, I kept searching the web for ideas and solutions to the problem. I found over and over again that Cricut's support appears to not have a good handle on IT solutions, nor a good handle on how to write an effective working program for Mac users. If Cricut truly wants to hear from their customers, and apply the feedback they receive then please do the following: be willing to offer a support system that is more available (as creating does not only happen Monday-Friday on a 7-6 schedule), stop assuming every customer owns a PC and write programming that will work on a Mac, and perhaps, since this is obviously an ongoing problem, when someone downloads the Mac option in the Craft Room, have a window with a disclaimer message noting that problems have been encountered by Mac users, with links to this forum post, and any others that have useful information for getting past the problem.
Narelle Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:40:47 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7813 time(s) in 3647 post(s)
Originally Posted by: caborulesc975c381 Go to Quoted Post
Just went through this whole process and am having the same problem as when I try to update thge firmware from CCR. Still won't work. It seems that my machine won't enter the update mode and I have no idea how to get it into the Update mode. Thanks for this info - too bad it didn't work for me.

Here's some info on how you can force your Expression into Update mode: http://cricutcraftroomblog.blog...nto-firmware-update.html
chamerayd0cce813 Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2012 5:23:11 PM(UTC)
chamerayd0cce813

I want to try this - but I unfortunately don't own a PC and don't know anyone immediately that has a PC :( What options do I have? Do I just not get to use Craft Room. Please help provide solution for a MAC only user.
MelissaT Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:12:06 PM(UTC)
MelissaT

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I tried updating mine last week... and it just wouldn't work, and wouldn't you know I had left a cartridge in the machine. sill me Flapper
gweneich5a751ea8 Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 7:27:15 PM(UTC)
gweneich5a751ea8

After hours being frustrated I ran across this post. I did exactly as noted and it worked. THANK YOU!! Honestly I didn't think anything would work as my machine is the first machine made by cricut and I have NEVER updated for the software. Lesson learned - will not keep machine updated so I don't go thru this again!! THANK YOU for taking the time and posting such great instructions!!BigGrin
sherry573477d7 Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 9:31:16 PM(UTC)
sherry573477d7

These directions work. Thank you.

I have a PC and still couldn't get my expression to update. I read these directions and at first I didn't understand that Cricut Design Studio and Cricut Craft Room were not the same program. Also if you are in the craft room trying to run the update you should know that if you see a two tone green stripe moving across the entire status bar that's not updating. When it's really working you'll see a solid green stripe moving from left to right. If I'd known this the first two times I tried to load this update I wouldn't have wasted 2 hours thinking it was trying to load.
jnbspurgeon486f6fb8 Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2013 11:45:08 AM(UTC)
jnbspurgeon486f6fb8

I have a Cricut Expression and everytime I turn it on the all the lights on the left side of the keyboard are lit up as well as the buttons next to the screen (like it would look in update mode) I called Cricut who gave me these same directions and I tried and it kept failing then I noticed on my Cricut screen I already have 2.43 updated on it but all the lights are still lit up and it won't allow me to cut does anyone know what might be causing this? I have also tried to do a hard reset twice with no luck. Hoping I can get it fixed myself instead of having to send it in for a replacement. Thank you in advance!
CraftyKick Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:06:57 AM(UTC)
CraftyKick

Thank Goodness I have found this information. I have been working on this for 3 days and trying to solve the problem on my own at this point. I am having the EXACT same problem as everyone else. I am glad to know there is A SOLUTION, but my GOSH, Cricut needs to help us with this. We should not have to go through all that. I have already looked into alternative programs like "Sure Cuts A Lot" because of this issue but unfortunately even those need a Firmware update and it looks like this is the only process to do it. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS INFO.
CraftyKick Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 6:03:28 PM(UTC)
CraftyKick

I FINALLY have SUCCESS in using my MAC and Expression. I am very happy BigGrin about this but Wow, what I had to go Angry through to get to this point. Thank Goodness for Big Bookie's instructions as there were extremely helpful. Let me say though that when I went back to the MAC to finish the Firmware update, I went through the entire process twice and got a FAILURE message both times. So I unplugged everything and took the Expression BACK TO THE PC, and spent about 2 hours there. FINALLY the Firmware update completed and I did a "test" cut using the PC which was successful. I then took everything BACK to the MAC and went back to the CRAFT ROOM and eventually was able to get the Expression to cut successfully. Overall a very painful trial and error experience but I finally got it to work. If you are having this same problem, follow Bookie's instructions, make sure you have lots of time, and be prepared to deviate and feel your way through it.
ace.roanoke0156a410 Offline
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2013 7:54:53 AM(UTC)
ace.roanoke0156a410

Awesome! Thanks for posting this! I thought my cricut was a goner!
mischs6f1d7d6f Offline
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:17:35 AM(UTC)
mischs6f1d7d6f

I have been informed by ProvoCraft that I need to PURCHASE a refurbished Expression in order for it to work with my MAC!! I have over $700 invested(?) in cartriges, the Expression and a GypsyAngry

My Expression is showing the correct Firmware. I have tried many cables (to rule out a bad cable). Due to many medical situations I have used my Expression fewer than a dozen times. Craft Room will not recognize my machine. I finally used the Gypsy to update the machines firmware.

So now I have to spend more money for what??????Angry Angry

ps.... it states on the website that ALL Cricuts will work.......Glare

Edited by user Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:22:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

paula05285410e4d8cd2 Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:17:53 AM(UTC)
paula05285410e4d8cd2

I just bought a used Cricut Expression that is just like new. I tried to update and did fine through DesignStudio got into CR and it stopped in the middle of Part 2. Any suggestions? Oh by the way it says I have 2.34 already, so do I even need to update? Thanks!
mischs6f1d7d6f Offline
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:47:34 PM(UTC)
mischs6f1d7d6f

Our Expression also shows the updated firmware when Powered On and is confirmed when I was able to purchase WIN7 and install under Boot Camp on the same MacbookPro. So that confirmed to me it is a Cricut Software Design issue and NOT the Expression. [i]If Cricut is interested in solving this issue, they can email me.[/i] Sharon's Husband ..... Jim Cool
tama.burbidgeb36868cd Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:57:05 AM(UTC)
tama.burbidgeb36868cd

I too am having issues updating to Firmware 2.43 on my Cricut Expression. I have tried the suggestions on this post, Cricut online support entered the exceptions to my anti-virus and still no luck. In fact, Cricut online support technician asked me to email him back the resolution if I found one so he could help others. This is insane, these machines are not cheap and lets not discuss the cartridges or accessories or ..... I cannot use the Craft Room because I do not have the correct Firmware, cannot update my machine to the correct Firmware and I am told to go solve it and let them know what I learn.

Well, my machine is at least usable again as it just finished updating in Design Studio for the third time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I was looking forward to using the Craft Room.

TamaCrying
honnery4e4b065de Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:36:52 PM(UTC)
honnery4e4b065de

I have just spent all afternoon trying to update my Expression. I'm ready to throw it out the window.
Everytime I try I get the message that 'Your Cricut was not found'.
I can hear it connecting to the computer - the computer makes a sound. And I can see it in devices. When I run the device troubleshooter it says driver error. But that it can't find the problem. But I can't find anywhere to manually download the drivers.
I've emailed support to receive an automated message that I will get a reply within 7 business days. Not holding my breath. And I can't get the international support number to work from Australia.
For the money I've spent, it shouldn't be this hard.

Edited by user Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:38:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Narelle Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 12:31:31 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7813 time(s) in 3647 post(s)
Originally Posted by: honnery4e4b065de Go to Quoted Post
I have just spent all afternoon trying to update my Expression. I'm ready to throw it out the window.
Everytime I try I get the message that 'Your Cricut was not found'.
I can hear it connecting to the computer - the computer makes a sound. And I can see it in devices. When I run the device troubleshooter it says driver error. But that it can't find the problem. But I can't find anywhere to manually download the drivers.
I've emailed support to receive an automated message that I will get a reply within 7 business days. Not holding my breath. And I can't get the international support number to work from Australia.
For the money I've spent, it shouldn't be this hard.

You can install the drivers from the Help menu in CCR.
kelsieltheiss2345265a Offline
#19 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 10:22:19 AM(UTC)
kelsieltheiss2345265a

THANK YOU! I just got a refurbished cricut today and its firmware was on version one, and the cricut craft room wouldnt complete the update...but doing it through design studio then CCR worked! Thank you!!
mkor317b452671d Offline
#20 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:11:07 PM(UTC)
mkor317b452671d

I have tried doing it through the DS first as well and at the end of the second time through it tells me it failed. :( I have a useless Cricut now.....any more suggestions? Very frustrated.
farleycross060aeacc Offline
#21 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:56:20 AM(UTC)
farleycross060aeacc

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am Farley's husband, Bob, aka tech support for Farley. I was able to update her old Cricut Expression firmware on a mac. Seeing how much frustration there has been here, I thought I should post how I did it.

The problem is that the Mac version of Craftroom will not update the old firmware. The PC version works, but that hasn't helped Mac users. Here is what I did.

CodeWeavers sells a product called Crossover for Mac, which has a downloadable free trial. It is a compatibility layer that enables mac users to run a lot of PC programs on the Mac, and fortunately, Craftroom and the firmware update seem to work. So, for Mac users:

1. Download the PC version of Craftroom to your disk.
2. Download the trial version of Crossover for Mac from the Codeweavers website.
3. Install Crossover and start it.
4. Use crossover to install the PC version of Craftroom that you downloaded and then start the Craftroom program. It will recognize the need for a firmware update and prompt you what to do. After the new firmware has been installed, you are done.

I think, but have not yet tested, that once you have the firmware updated, you should then be able to use the Mac version of Craftroom if you like.

Crossover is a great program sold by great folks. Consider buying a license and tell your friends about it. But to just update the firmware, the free trial will do the job.

Bob (for Farley's crafting friends)
 1 user thanked farleycross060aeacc for this useful post.
NH_Cricut on 12/15/2013(UTC)
fish32fce3dca Offline
#22 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:56:51 AM(UTC)
fish32fce3dca

After getting an assist from Cricut support, I have a couple of details to add:

As most of you know, CCR doesn't run under Mac OS Mavericks 10.9, but runs fine under Mountain Lion 10.8.5
In order to update an Expression, you must get it into update mode by pushing the Stop button, then the Power button.
Contrary to written instructions, you must keep holding both buttons for 5 seconds until it beeps once.

This works for Design Studio and CCR on PC and for CCR on the Mac.
ivydodgen8e66a2bd Offline
#23 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 12:21:32 AM(UTC)
ivydodgen8e66a2bd

Originally Posted by: farleycross060aeacc Go to Quoted Post
I am Farley's husband, Bob, aka tech support for Farley. I was able to update her old Cricut Expression firmware on a mac. Seeing how much frustration there has been here, I thought I should post how I did it.

The problem is that the Mac version of Craftroom will not update the old firmware. The PC version works, but that hasn't helped Mac users. Here is what I did.

CodeWeavers sells a product called Crossover for Mac, which has a downloadable free trial. It is a compatibility layer that enables mac users to run a lot of PC programs on the Mac, and fortunately, Craftroom and the firmware update seem to work. So, for Mac users:

1. Download the PC version of Craftroom to your disk.
2. Download the trial version of Crossover for Mac from the Codeweavers website.
3. Install Crossover and start it.
4. Use crossover to install the PC version of Craftroom that you downloaded and then start the Craftroom program. It will recognize the need for a firmware update and prompt you what to do. After the new firmware has been installed, you are done.

I think, but have not yet tested, that once you have the firmware updated, you should then be able to use the Mac version of Craftroom if you like.

Crossover is a great program sold by great folks. Consider buying a license and tell your friends about it. But to just update the firmware, the free trial will do the job.

Bob (for Farley's crafting friends)

I did this and almost successfully installed ccr. When I open CCR, it says initializing and will not let me sign in. have you found anything else to work for mac users?
tattnkate243e12fe Offline
#24 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:17:31 PM(UTC)
tattnkate243e12fe

Wow! What a pain in the A** this sounds like.
I haven't been around to use my wonderful Expression but I took note of what you all have said about updating it. I tried to install the software links that but my computer decides to say this file had a virus and the program was deleted. It has down that to everyone of my downloads. Angry
Not sure what I'm going to do about it. Even when I try to install Microsoft Essentials its a free virus program that kills all the nasty virus' for you. But I can't even get it on my computer, thinking about doing a complete delete reinstall of the whole system.Blushing Angry Mad

Thank you all for what you have told me.

Deb
deb.kennedy7d16e0706 Offline
#25 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:11:05 PM(UTC)
deb.kennedy7d16e0706

BigTimeBookie,

Thank you SOOOOO much for taking the time to get this figured out and share it with the rest of us. I would never have figured this out without your step by step instructions from a year ago. My Cricut Expression was at version 2.0, so I had some major updating to do. Thanks to a PC laptop I had access to, I was able to go through your steps and then get the last firmware update with my MacBook connected to the Cricut and finally get it up to version 2.43..WOoHOo!!

The only bummer is I was hoping to be able to cut out custom scanned images of my grandkids' hand prints for framing, but I don't see where I can insert my own images into the Craft Room virtual cutting mat. Is that possible, and I'm just missing it?

Thanks for your help getting me this far!

Deb
dawnsargent641a3660a7 Offline
#26 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 3:14:58 PM(UTC)
dawnsargent641a3660a7

Hi, in desperation im looking for help
I too have had problems with expression/ccr updates, I have tried numerous times and followed any instructions left on the forums but to no avail, now my gypsy is no longer recognised when plugged in, my cricut expression will no longer turn on and any firmware updates I try from ccr get as far as part 2 processing and after 1 or 2% just switches off. I have spend many many hours trying to even just make my gypsy work and finally have now given up. A very expensive system that I am no longer able to use, if anyone has any help they can offer I would be very grateful. It also appears that phoning the company from UK will be expensive and utterly useless.
many thanks
dawnMad
Murph Offline
#27 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:30:42 PM(UTC)
Murph

I did that. I used my husbands PC laptop and the firmware updated to 2.43 on my cricut. But we I try to use craft room it first says there is no machine hooked up, then it says it needs to be updated that I only have the .1 version and of course won't run the update. But it has been updated to the 2.43 .craft room won't reconize it and I have rebooted my mac and tried using a different cord and still doesn't work!!!!!!
farleycross060aeacc Offline
#28 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 10:13:46 AM(UTC)
farleycross060aeacc

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ivydodgen8e66a2bd Go to Quoted Post
I did this and almost successfully installed ccr. When I open CCR, it says initializing and will not let me sign in. have you found anything else to work for mac users?

It sounds like you have installed the new firmware by using Crossover to run the PC version of Cricut Craftroom on your Mac, but now Cricut Craftroom itself hangs with an endless "initializing" message. That is what happened to us too when we tried to actually run CCR with the PC version of the program on the Mac.

What you need to do now is erase the PC version of the software and run the Mac version which should work OK now with the new firmware.

In other words, you run the PC version to update the firmware, since the Mac version won't do that, and you then run the Mac version to run CCR, since the PC version will hang at initialization. A really inelegant process, I know, but at least it worked for us, and apparently you too.
angie6631cd53 Offline
#29 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2013 9:16:26 PM(UTC)
angie6631cd53

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I just bought an Expression this past weekend. I went to craft room yesterday for the first time, and it told me I needed to update my firmware. I followed the instructions online many times and the update failed each time. I called customer service and they asked if I had a cartridge in the machine, which I had. They told me that this was probably why it didn't work. So, I tried again, many times, and the update continued to fail. I called customer service again today and they told me that I probably need to update the cricut through Design Studio first and then update through Craft Room. Being that we only have Macs, my husband took the machine to his parents house to update it through Design Studio. He came home and said that although the computer recognized the machine, the Design Studio update failed. So, now I don't know what to do. Any ideas?
DianaMcCartney Offline
#30 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:21:47 AM(UTC)
DianaMcCartney

Mad Well I have tried everything and no success. This really ticks me off since I was trying to make some holiday gifts with the machine. I posted on another thread my issues, but it sounds like I am in the same sinking boat as a lot of you.

I hope they come up with a fix soon.