Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

scrapalette Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:06:52 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19163 time(s) in 8570 post(s)
instead of helping them learn to do what they want to do? I just don't get it. SMH. Huh
 2 users thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/11/2013(UTC), bethdoc on 12/26/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:55:17 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8313 time(s) in 4909 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
instead of helping them learn to do what they want to do? I just don't get it. SMH. Huh

Some of us might not be as eloquent or well read or know how to say what we know to do in the best way, Scrapalette, but we do try.

Others may genuinely think they cannot do what someone is asking; I don't think it's so wrong to say it can't be done if the person saying it has tried to do that thing themselves but could not find the answers they needed at the time, so it is assumed there's no way to do it.

Maybe you're talking about something else here; but, that's the way I see it.

We all see things differently; and, if we definitely KNOW an answer to something, there will be very different ways that we all try to explain how to express it to others.

If there are people being fecetious in their answers, then it is for those who KNOW the answers to come behind those being fecetious to give the right answer.

Maybe you didn't want any feedback; but, those are my thoughts.

Or, maybe some of us who don't know all the RIGHT answers shouldn't even try. Is that what you mean?

Char
 4 users thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
GypsyBoricua on 12/11/2013(UTC), Annabella on 12/11/2013(UTC), rhondah* on 12/12/2013(UTC), ~LN on 12/15/2013(UTC)
jscraftylady Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:13:48 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 2354 time(s) in 1265 post(s)

When someone asks a simple question like can I cut an svg file from my computer, or any font I want, or a licensed character that doesn't appear on a cart, or a design I created myself in Illustrator on my Cricut, I feel like the simple answer is "no." I know the longer answer is "you might be able to create something close to your idea if you use CCR and happen to own all the right carts" but I just feel like most people are looking for the simple answer.

It's the Christmas season and lots of new folks are treating themselves or being treated to a new cutting machine. I think it is better if new users and shoppers know the limitations of various machines so they can make a decision they are happy with, even if it's not Cricut. There are a lot of misconceptions out there about what a Cricut can do (Black Friday shopping makes that sooooo clear). I just feel like the simple answer is better.
 5 users thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
GypsyBoricua on 12/11/2013(UTC), Annabella on 12/11/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/11/2013(UTC), rhondah* on 12/12/2013(UTC), MommaG on 12/31/2013(UTC)
LaLaLand Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:41:43 PM(UTC)
LaLaLand

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Maybe it's just faster to say " No that won't work" than try to come up with another way to do something. Actually I've always found the board very helpful when I have a question or sharing whatever they've made.
 5 users thanked LaLaLand for this useful post.
GypsyBoricua on 12/11/2013(UTC), Annabella on 12/11/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/11/2013(UTC), rhondah* on 12/12/2013(UTC), MommaG on 12/31/2013(UTC)
GypsyBoricua Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:44:03 PM(UTC)
GypsyBoricua

Was thanked: 886 time(s) in 488 post(s)

There is a lot you cannot do with a cricut. There is no way to learn how to cut out your own designs, or fonts on your computer or use another software that allows those things. those things are impossible for cricut. It is important for those asking questions know the limitations of any machine they have purchased or will be purchasing.

3 users thanked GypsyBoricua for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/11/2013(UTC), MaryScraps on 12/15/2013(UTC), MommaG on 12/31/2013(UTC)
barbarastewart1 Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:03:01 PM(UTC)
barbarastewart1

United States

Was thanked: 11954 time(s) in 3165 post(s)
RIGHT. I can't even find the right buttons to hit so that a person will come and CLEAN 'n COOK 'n just take care of STUFF so all I have to do is PLAY.................... perhaps I just need the right SVG file (being as how I don't even know what that isOhMyGod RollEyes OhMyGod ), however, IF it'll provide these services .... I'll LEARN. OH YES I WILL.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, my QUESTION IS: What's the combo?????? Thank you.
BigGrin BigGrin Cool BigGrin BigGrin
 2 users thanked barbarastewart1 for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/11/2013(UTC), rhondah* on 12/12/2013(UTC)
JoyceG Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:35:26 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 942 time(s) in 611 post(s)
I really don't know what you're talking about. Can you give a specific example? I think people on the boards are very helpful and tries to help others as much as they can when a questions is asked about the cricut and what it can and can't do. I would not know as much as I do about CCR if it wasn't for the very helpful members of this board and (your) awesome videos!

Joyce
 3 users thanked JoyceG for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/11/2013(UTC), rhondah* on 12/12/2013(UTC), tigger2000 on 12/14/2013(UTC)
LaLaLand Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:22:21 PM(UTC)
LaLaLand

Ok I'd like to know how to get my Expression to clean up the mess it makes. Please don't reply " It can't do that."
 2 users thanked LaLaLand for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/11/2013(UTC), rhondah* on 12/12/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:53:41 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Maybe Scrapalette is referring to those who ask "can I cut my own files"? I get a little frustrated when people ask that question, myself, because I feel they already know the answer and are just coming on to make their point about the CRICUT machines. If that's the case.....I agree with her completely.

BUT, we can't assume they are asking for that reason....and the right thing to do is just simply (as the OP said) say "no"! Because you can't.

Is that what you're referring to, Scrapalette?

Char
Di&Co Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:07:49 PM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 22618 time(s) in 5488 post(s)
Necessity is the mother of invention. Now when the cricut came out, we were pretty good at inventing all kinds of things. The gypsy revolutionized how we used are pre designed cricut cuts and we all loved sharing with one another.

Designing your own designs with your cricut is doable, just takes a bit of time and practice. And now we have CCR instead of the gypsy.

I am one that doesnt have the patience to do that and just use the cuts as they are.
rhondah* Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:18:23 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

United States

Was thanked: 16784 time(s) in 9358 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LaLaLand Go to Quoted Post
Ok I'd like to know how to get my Expression to clean up the mess it makes. Please don't reply " It can't do that."

LOL LOL LOL
scrapalette Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:00:09 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Not at all referring to anyone who tries to help someone with a problem creating a project regardless of how eloquent they are or aren't.

Not at all referring to anyone who answers someone's direct question about a Cricut can or can't do. I would never expect anyone to lie. Never. Even if the answer is No, you can't cut .svg files or import artwork and trace it or cut a font you have on your computer.

Definitely referring to the people who assume they know what the person means and immediately say “No, you can't do that with a Cricut”. Because what one person describes as “my own files” or “custom” or “something I create” doesn't always mean the same to someone else.

I've had several people contact me {though my blog, FB and PM on the MB} telling me they were told on this MB that they couldn't do something with their Cricut that they indeed could do. Here are examples of what I'm talking about:

#1 A person posted “Can I cut my company logo?”. The were immediately told No. When they contacted me, I asked what their logo was. Turns out it was a simple circle and two interlocking letters. I referred him to Narelle's font list and he found a font that was very similar and he is now cutting his own company logos for his business.

#2 A person asked “Can I cut 3 letter monograms like “this” and she posted a photo of an entwined font. Immediate answer was No, you can't do that with your Cricut. The font is . . . . and you need another cutter to cut that. And so one. When she contacted me, turns out what she meant by “like this” was a 3 letter monogram with the center letter bigger. And not that exact font. She also found a Cricut font she liked and made the tumblers she wanted to for her wedding.

#3 A person asked if she could cut a custom decal for her car window. Again, she was told No. She happened to find the one I did through a google search and contacted me. What she meant by “custom” was she wanted her phrase and not the typical “In Memory” wording. So I briefly explained CCR and ended up making her a .ccr file. She cut it with her Cricut.

#4 A person asked if she could “cut her own designs and specifically said “What I particularly need to be able to do is to cut various card shapes, such as stepper cards, fancy tent cards, etc. Is this possible?”. She was told no when indeed it is possible to use CCR and create the card base and have it cut with a Cricut. She's now planning to get her E out and try it.

There are other examples {like cutting stuff they print on their printer with their Cricut}, but I think this shows what I mean. And, all of these people already had a Cricut and wanted to use it.

In general, I find the majority of people on this MB very helpful. It's what makes this MB different from so many that are on the net.
 2 users thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
JoyceG on 12/12/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/12/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:03:16 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Originally Posted by: barbarastewart1 Go to Quoted Post
RIGHT. I can't even find the right buttons to hit so that a person will come and CLEAN 'n COOK 'n just take care of STUFF so all I have to do is PLAY.................... perhaps I just need the right SVG file (being as how I don't even know what that isOhMyGod RollEyes OhMyGod ), however, IF it'll provide these services .... I'll LEARN. OH YES I WILL.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, my QUESTION IS: What's the combo?????? Thank you.
BigGrin BigGrin Cool BigGrin BigGrin

Oh rats Barbara. . .we covered this at the last Mania! So sorry you missed it! Guess you'll have to be sure DH doesn't "interfere" with you attending the next one. LOL We'll put those Xtra1 and Xtra2 buttons to work! LOL
MaryStillman Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:43:16 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1258 time(s) in 797 post(s)
scrapalette,

Maybe just a little more info on the original post would have helped avoid the reply storm.

You are awesome in what you can do with your cricut. I wish you would write a book or do an online class on "flexing the cricut" or "extreme cricut" or "coercing the cricut to cut" or something like that that shows your projects and how you were able to do these "impossible" cuts with CCR and the free cart available to us all. I would probably sign up for one of your classes or buy a book like that!

Mary
 2 users thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/12/2013(UTC), tigger2000 on 12/14/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:18:59 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Mary is right, Scrapalette. Many times, when someone comes on to ask if something can be done they are being very, very evasive. They don't mean to be evasive.

The people responding actually believe what is being asked cannot be done, obviously.

Many times, I (as do others, including you) try to get more information; then, as often as not, the OP never comes back to add anything to the thread. So, EVERYONE is left HANGING. LOL.

One thing that always kind of irks me (not a complaint; just like to know the answers to many of the question, myself....it's how we all learn) is when people start doing the PMing for further information. NOW, this is certainly everyone's right to do...just leaves the rest of us up in the air when we're wanting to know the answers to that very question ourselves. And, noone is doing that maliciously or without caring....just don't realize others care about the answer, too.

I realize I could do the PMing to find out the answers, myself, probably but I never really thought about that. Just moved on.

Char

Di&Co Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 7:01:12 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 22618 time(s) in 5488 post(s)
People that ask a question and don't come back for the answer frustrate me. I have answered several questions to some of these queries and then...nothing! Glare At least, others who are wondering the same thing get the answer they need. There are others who do come back and appreciate the answer even if it's not what they are looking for. Thank you to those people.

And Char, I hate being left to hang too!

Scrapalette, I'd like to clone your brain to make mine Cricut smarter! LOL
 1 user thanked Di&Co for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/13/2013(UTC)
JoyceG Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 8:24:57 AM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 942 time(s) in 611 post(s)
I have posted question and babble posts and when I come back..I can't find them. I either forget what I titled it or it's moved back so many pages that I end up forgetting what I was even looking for by the time I catch up on all the new stuff.Flapper

Joyce

1 user thanked JoyceG for this useful post.
tigger2000 on 12/14/2013(UTC)
LaLaLand Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 2:10:21 PM(UTC)
LaLaLand

Scrapette, I totally get it the way you explain it and I see your point. From now on I'm going to take a minute before replying to see if I can be a better help. Thanks for the reminder.
Khrista Offline
#19 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 8:07:48 PM(UTC)
Khrista

United States

Was thanked: 2516 time(s) in 1401 post(s)
Hm.. I can see points all around on this topic. Lot of people do go off just the basic information given which can easily be a 'no' versus trying to get more information as you've done Scrapalette. I do think it seems like the messageboard barely ever moves anymore and some of the things you've referenced many newbies may find difficult without someone walking them through which seems like the more advanced users are not around as much or don't post as often (I'm guilty of not posting projects much anymore Blushing ).

I know when I see newbies for example in the Imagine forum on something I think is a 'how to' I'll refer them to a list of video's that I think will be helpful in addition to trying to answer the question. <which reminds me I should bump that back up as it gets buried on occasion>.

It would be helpful to have links to some 'how to' video's either in a sticky in this and the starting/newbie forum so that someone wanting to know how to do something that may not be in Provo's typical video's would have a reference. Even sending folks to the PC video's is often helpful as people don't realize those are out there. Blogs of the more advanced users so they're not having to google search, etc. in one location I think is helpful.

Just some thoughts
:)Khrista

2 users thanked Khrista for this useful post.
Annabella on 12/14/2013(UTC), MaryScraps on 12/16/2013(UTC)
tigger2000 Offline
#20 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 7:46:31 AM(UTC)
tigger2000

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Joyce, I agree with you, LOL!Laugh I am guilty of the same thing! I forget where I posted something or asked a question, or just can't find it when I come back to the forumConfused
 1 user thanked tigger2000 for this useful post.
JoyceG on 12/15/2013(UTC)
Annabella Offline
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 7:51:08 AM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)
I am so guilty of this. I.m mostly in the mindset that 'someone else is smarter or can explain it better' and I just move on. This is something I need to change.

Thanks for the attitude adjustment!!
Kut-n-Print Offline
#22 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:19:38 PM(UTC)
Kut-n-Print

Was thanked: 906 time(s) in 439 post(s)
I have gone to great lengths to figure out how to do "impossible" things with the Cricut like print and cut without an Imagine and bringing images "onto your mat" as a design aid in CCR. There hasn't been much response. Please feel free to help me get the word out.

http://cleversomeday.wor...s.com/2012/07/13/ccrpnc

http://cleversomeday.wor...2011/05/19/tracing-trick
 3 users thanked Kut-n-Print for this useful post.
Lilygirl on 12/14/2013(UTC), CocoasMom on 12/24/2013(UTC), bethdoc on 12/26/2013(UTC)
Lilygirl Offline
#23 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:30:35 PM(UTC)
Lilygirl

Canada

Was thanked: 818 time(s) in 532 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kut-n-Print Go to Quoted Post
I have gone to great lengths to figure out how to do "impossible" things with the Cricut like print and cut without an Imagine and bringing images "onto your mat" as a design aid in CCR. There hasn't been much response. Please feel free to help me get the word out.

This is soo cool! Thank You for sharing this! It is great to see new ways to use our Cricuts!
MaryStillman Offline
#24 Posted : Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:36:30 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Originally Posted by: Kut-n-Print Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Kay. I have used your method many times, and have watched most of your videos, and have recommended your videos on the cricut forum.

I'm waiting for you to get a scan and cut and do some tutorials on their on-line designing program.

Mary
CricketCMV Offline
#25 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 9:50:18 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

BTT....want to see the videos tomorrow....and I don't want to forget about this post!

TFS!

Char
MaryStillman Offline
#26 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:30:58 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Also BBT for the videos.

Cleversomeday's videos are well worth watching.

Mary