Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

diva63718f05e67a Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 9:52:41 AM(UTC)
diva63718f05e67a

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Hi All,

I'm not new to Cricut but have never done vinyl before. I usually have 1 homemade gift I do for the Christmas holiday. (last year I used the cricut, glass blocks and glass etching cream).

Well, I was in 2 weddings this year and have had no time to focus on what my homemade gift will be. I'm thinking I'd like to branch out into vinyl. There are some amazingly crafy people out there and have seen some inspirational items that involve vinyl that I might actually try. But am always open to knew suggestions.

A couple questions....and I read the other threads to find out where to purchase supplies online so I wont be repeating that question.

What is your favorite thing to create with vinyl? and/or most practical?

What is the biggest lesson you've learned while working with it that you wish you knew when you started?

Are the "giftees" happy with the gift?

Any other non-traditional or traditional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everybody!!!!
SouthernVintage Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 11:20:49 AM(UTC)
SouthernVintage

United States

Was thanked: 802 time(s) in 714 post(s)
I love working with vinyl, and I think my favorite thing to make is charger plates. I'm always reluctant to make something for display since I never know if the recipient will really want to display it all year (or just display it for me). One way to get around this is to do a seasonal plate. This works even for my own displays. Sometimes, I just want to change things out and if it's seasonal, it's only up for a month or so. By next year, I'm ready to bring it out again. You could even do a set of seasonal chargers...one for Christmas, one for Valentine's, etc. Just a thought.

My biggest lesson learned is to follow the 3-3-3 (speed 3, pressure 3, blade 3)cutting systems. I forget this sometimes and end up with a real challenge.

Edited by user Friday, October 18, 2013 11:24:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked SouthernVintage for this useful post.
MomScrapper on 1/6/2014(UTC)
Sherri Kay Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 20, 2013 7:16:10 AM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2430 time(s) in 2177 post(s)
I like putting a monogram on a floating frame or tile and then you put the recipient's last name in the center of the initial and possibly also the date they were married (near the bottom). Makes a beautiful wedding gift also. Look this up on YouTube. There are quite a few videos showing how to do this. Smile
deleted Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 20, 2013 11:56:13 AM(UTC)
deleted

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 54 post(s)
The real problem with vinyl is to decide what NOT to put it on - BigGrin - once you start, everything becomes your canvas....

I have seen some pretty clever things done up with little vinyl accent on them, making them a really neat, but affordable gift.

I like monograms. I like to do them on jars, candles, etc. They look really neat on a flameless candle, but it is not the easiest thing to apply vinyl to. But if you stick with a one letter monogram, and use a font that isn't super fine - it is doable! You don't need a flameless candle - but I prefer those, and they are easy to find now days. Adding vinyl to a candle

Floating frames are awesome. I just use an inexpensive frame from Walmart and just use the single pane of glass, but you can find some other types of frames that are specifically made as floating frames and have two panes of glass (even find them at Walmart)

Hurricane vases are fun also. You can do a design or just a monogram.

Here is a link to my Pinterest board. Vinyl Ideas Pinterest Board A lot of the projects are not "Cricut" - but cut with a different brand of machine... but they are totally do-able with the Cricut. Just think outside the box and use what carts/files you have and come up with your own take on them.

I like to use the Oracal 631 vinyl for most of these projects. It has a matte finish and looks so nice. I buy mine from Expressions Vinyl - but there are many suppliers.

If you do a search on Pinterest for "Cricut Vinyl" you will find more ideas than their are days in the year! LOL

HAVE FUN - Vinyl is addictive!!!

Radbunny Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 4:00:25 PM(UTC)
Radbunny

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I agree with the floating frame ideas! I also use the Word Collage cart and do one of those over the glass and in the frame, I put a decorative piece of paper or material. The word collages available make for great newborn décor or even holiday stuff. So far, no complaints! :)
swatts66 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:14:54 PM(UTC)
swatts66

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1059 time(s) in 579 post(s)
I love making shirts for my 2 year old granddaughter with the HTV. She loves Hello Kitty and Minnie and Mickey. I have to admit that my shirts did not really hold up that well until I invested in a heat press. LOVE the heat press!
MaureenSala Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:13:01 AM(UTC)
MaureenSala

Was thanked: 294 time(s) in 242 post(s)
I love iron on vinyl - it is more expensive than the sticky peel and stick kind. I have made tshirts, names on jackets, baby onesies, etc. Right now I am making iron on decorations for canvas shopping bags to be used as goodie bags for an upcoming crafting retreat. I get my vinyl on ETSY or ebay. I just paid $44.00 for 10 12-x15" sheets of iron on vinyl, including shipping on ETSY. I haven't used it yet, but it looks good.

On the peel and stick version I have done cups for a bachlorette party, names and items on baby food/small plastic containers, decorated plastic sand pails, and glassware. I have also used Expressions Vinyl and their product is good.

Maureen
diva63718f05e67a Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2013 7:02:07 AM(UTC)
diva63718f05e67a

Thank you all. BigGrin greatly appreciate all the feedback.

I just ordered soem vinyl from Amazon yesterday, the starter pack with the different colors and the transfer tape. It was inexpensive enough to play around and see if I like it. I also picked up some tiles from Home Depot. I'm sure you can all guess what I will be working on once it comes in. LOL

I'll be sure to post pictures and give some feedback on how I liked working on/with it. Checked out some videos on youtube also and the floating frames look like a fun project. So, I'll be trying that out.

There was a video with a large tile a woman did, she mentioned these boards and the woman that created the cut file. I was BLOWN away and definetly want to try to recreate it. Saying was home and hearts for Xmas or something. That file was beautiful. So, if she's looking....love your work.

There are just too many crafty things to make...and I really think I should win the lottery so I can quit working the 9 to 5 and can give all my time to crafting....aint it nice to dream???

Thanks again all!!!

1 user thanked diva63718f05e67a for this useful post.
Radbunny on 11/20/2013(UTC)
shannonellenberger9f46c97b Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 1:05:47 PM(UTC)
shannonellenberger9f46c97b

I, too, am very anxious to get started with some projects. I have owned my Cricut Expression for about 5 years probably and haven't used it hardly at all. Life just keeps me too busy! But I have some vinyl now and I'm anxious to try some stuff. I'm most interested in decorating a glass block with vinyl since I already own a Christmas cartridge.

I joke with my friends that someday when I retire from teaching, I'm going to start a margarita scrapbooking club so that I can get all these scrapbooks made of my daughters that I want to!

Have fun!
Radbunny Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:00:21 PM(UTC)
Radbunny

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Diva, did you ever do your project? We'd love to see some pictures! :)
diva63718f05e67a Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:14:17 AM(UTC)
diva63718f05e67a

Radbunny,

I have and did. LOL Unfortunately I havent had time to post any pictures. After Xmas I will be blowing the board up I'm sure.

So far, and yes I know it's getting close, but I did some post it note holders, a few subway art pieces that I created myself and wine bottle openers with initials of the giftee. I still have a couple more subway art pieces to do, ornaments and chargers. I LOVE how quickly it goes and the final result. I'm dealing with issues with air bubbles and what not but I'm sure that will get easier with time and practice.

Thank you all for your help and advice. It REALLY made a difference. And I will post pictures when I get a chance.