Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

sewnmachine Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:40:31 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 252 post(s)
After spending time making up one card at a time (or sometimes several) I got to wondering if it would be more efficient to just make up card "fronts" - I could make up several cuts at a time, embellish them, then store them away so I could quickly adhere to my card base, and then add an appropriate sentiment as needed.

So many cuts could be used interchangably and then when needed I could pick a coordinating card stock and stamp my sentiment.

It seems to me that somebody must have tried this method. If so, how did it work out for you?
 3 users thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
Annabella on 12/15/2013(UTC), jenny dennis on 12/15/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/15/2013(UTC)
craftymac Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 1:27:17 PM(UTC)
craftymac

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 37 post(s)
If I understand the question, yes, I have done this for years. I recently decided to get a little more organized at it and bought a clear plastic shoe box. I have the larger envelopes inside, each labeled with cuts: animals, objects (for balloons, hearts, etc), Christmas, Easter, etc. Those contain my basic plain cuts.

I then have a few envelopes with actual card fronts that include the background paper, layed with design papers and cricut cuts or stamped images. I have words cut into tags, or shapes in another envelope if I want to add any of them to a card.

When I need a card, I can mix and match. Lately, I've been using more of the ones that have layered papers with cuts, and match them to card stock. I can add pre-stamped wording or computer printed wording that is in another envelope (birthdays, get well wishes, think of you, happy anniversary). I can just grab those and glue them to the inside of cards.

I used to make all my cards from scratch, start to finish, but when I was in a hurry I didn't like the results of some of the cards. Now, I can do it both ways and it works great for me and the little time I have for crafting.

Have fun with your creations..

Mac
 4 users thanked craftymac for this useful post.
Annabella on 12/15/2013(UTC), sewnmachine on 12/15/2013(UTC), jenny dennis on 12/15/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/15/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:04:16 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Originally Posted by: craftymac Go to Quoted Post
If I understand the question, yes, I have done this for years. I recently decided to get a little more organized at it and bought a clear plastic shoe box. I have the larger envelopes inside, each labeled with cuts: animals, objects (for balloons, hearts, etc), Christmas, Easter, etc. Those contain my basic plain cuts.

I then have a few envelopes with actual card fronts that include the background paper, layed with design papers and cricut cuts or stamped images. I have words cut into tags, or shapes in another envelope if I want to add any of them to a card.

When I need a card, I can mix and match. Lately, I've been using more of the ones that have layered papers with cuts, and match them to card stock. I can add pre-stamped wording or computer printed wording that is in another envelope (birthdays, get well wishes, think of you, happy anniversary). I can just grab those and glue them to the inside of cards.

I used to make all my cards from scratch, start to finish, but when I was in a hurry I didn't like the results of some of the cards. Now, I can do it both ways and it works great for me and the little time I have for crafting.

Have fun with your creations..

Mac

YES! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about!!

I'd like to build a stash of card fronts. I'm always getting asked by friends, family, co-workers for some kind of card for somebody and something....... but I don't always have the time or motivation to create one from scratch.

I figure this way I'll have something "pre-fab" and then quickly match up cardstock and sentiments.

Thank you! Now, I'm gonna go organize my sentiment stamps....and by January 1st I'll be ready to start my New Year Resolution.

AWESOME......

2 users thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
Annabella on 12/15/2013(UTC), jenny dennis on 12/15/2013(UTC)
Annabella Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:54:07 PM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)
This is a great habit to get into. Since I don not take pictures of my cards yet, (key word yet, 2014 goal), I find it so much easier to make to or three of the same card or even a group with different color schemes or such. This way I have things on hand as I am the worlds last procrastinator!!!

It's the 15th and I just started my cookies and am addressing my cards/

It is really easy to duplicate cuts and have them on hand. Sometimes I just look through my crate of file folders(one for each cart) and think of something from there.

It is a step in making life easier!!!

Edited by user Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:45:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typing error

3 users thanked Annabella for this useful post.
sewnmachine on 12/15/2013(UTC), jenny dennis on 12/15/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/15/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:21:23 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Originally Posted by: Annabella Go to Quoted Post
This is a great habit to get into. Since I don not take pictures of my cards yet, (key word yet, 2014 goal), I find it so much easier to make to or three of the same card or even a group with different color schemes or such. This way I have things on hand as I am the worlds last procrastinator!!!

It's the 15th and I just started my cookies and am addressing my cards/

It is really easy to duplicate cuts and have them on hand. Sometimes I just look through my crate of file folders(one for each card) and think of something from there.

It is a step in making life easier!!!

Your're absolutely right. There's gotta be an easier way to live..... I enjoy this hobby so much, but it's no fun at all when I'm scrambling at the last minute to put together a card. And if I'm scrambling...by the time it's finished, I'm usually pi___d off. And I'm surrounded by a mountain of supplies, so I refuse to BUY anybody a card.

Thank you for the input.

I'm going to make this work for me.

3 users thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
jenny dennis on 12/15/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/15/2013(UTC), Annabella on 12/19/2013(UTC)
jenny dennis Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:50:19 PM(UTC)
jenny dennis

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 18222 time(s) in 4368 post(s)
Thanks for the great ideals! I think I will also give it a tryBigGrin
 2 users thanked jenny dennis for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/15/2013(UTC), sewnmachine on 12/16/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:00:45 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8313 time(s) in 4909 post(s)
I like these ideas, too! I may try some of them; then, maybe I won't feel so pressed when I do want to start from scratch on the cards I want to "custom make" for family and close friends.

Great ideas; TFS and thanks for the question!

Char
 1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
sewnmachine on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Cassie Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 3:53:55 AM(UTC)
Cassie

United States

Was thanked: 332 time(s) in 265 post(s)
I've been doing this for some time. I just actually attached 8 fronts (that I did back in October) to bases last week.

I usually try to do 2 - 4 card fronts at once using the same paper and sketch. Makes life so much easier. A lot of times, the fronts can fit a number of themes, so based on what I need at that time, I can print my sentiments to match.
 3 users thanked Cassie for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/16/2013(UTC), sewnmachine on 12/16/2013(UTC), Annabella on 12/19/2013(UTC)
joyfullycrafting Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 8:06:27 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1556 time(s) in 1246 post(s)
I usually make several cards at the same time, but this is also a great idea! However, I would have to get organized, which is a difficult thought!! Flapper
 3 users thanked joyfullycrafting for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/16/2013(UTC), sewnmachine on 12/16/2013(UTC), Annabella on 12/19/2013(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:31:13 AM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 451 post(s)
The scrapper who used to do the "Addicted to Card-Making" ongoing swap ( I think it was Gina), used to host "Addicted to Card Fronts" as well. Each month she had a theme, sometimes just as simple as a color, or a word suggestion. You had to do multiples of four, with a minimum of 12 - so that meant you used three pieces of 8-1/2 X 11 paper, and after everyone sent in their fronts she would sort them so everyone got a good variety and got back the same # that they sent. I only ever sent 12 for the month, but I used far more than three sheets getting my design just the way I wanted it. But then, I also had a bunch of fronts ready to use. It was really great, because you didn't have to do every month, and it didn't take bunches of supplies or cost much to mail. After I got sick, well, two years ago I dropped out and I've flaked on every swap I've signed up for since (well, it was only two...). So, I don't do swaps any more. But if I could, this is the kind of swap I could handle!!

Another friend of mine always makes two when she makes a card, and files one away for later. That way she has a stash of cards that just need a sentiment, or another little something, when she's in a rush. But then, she does workshops, and designs about ten cards a month!! What ambition! I admire her!!
 2 users thanked NotGoingGreyGracefully for this useful post.
Annabella on 12/19/2013(UTC), CricketCMV on 12/19/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:04:28 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

NotGGG reminded me of something I wanted to start last year at the beginning of the year.....time just runs away for me and I didn't get done what I wanted to do.

I thought it would be very, very helpful for me to CREATE the number of cards I needed for the year for the women in my family from ONE design of all the FRONTS for birthdays....then, change them up a little for each recipient. I wanted to do this for the men, too. Likewise, for the younger girls and the younger boys in the family. I also wanted to make ten or fifteen ANNIVERSARY cards; ten or fifteen GET WELL cards; I think you get the picture.

Needless to say, I didn't get that going for myself in 2013; but, I'm thinking seriously on trying to get a start for 2014!!

I REALLY DO NEED TO DO SOMETHING to get faster and more organized.

Char
 1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
Annabella on 12/20/2013(UTC)
Annabella Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 4:09:59 PM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
NotGGG reminded me of something I wanted to start last year at the beginning of the year.....time just runs away for me and I didn't get done what I wanted to do.

I thought it would be very, very helpful for me to CREATE the number of cards I needed for the year for the women in my family from ONE design of all the FRONTS for birthdays....then, change them up a little for each recipient. I wanted to do this for the men, too. Likewise, for the younger girls and the younger boys in the family. I also wanted to make ten or fifteen ANNIVERSARY cards; ten or fifteen GET WELL cards; I think you get the picture.

Needless to say, I didn't get that going for myself in 2013; but, I'm thinking seriously on trying to get a start for 2014!!

I REALLY DO NEED TO DO SOMETHING to get faster and more organized.

Char

You will find once you start this project it will be hard to stop!!!

This is also my desire for 2014. I purchased an expandable file and have the months marked. Then will a master list I have started to put together a card for the individual. My husband suggested that instead of January having just January, it will have the following months birthday/anniversary list so I will have a head start for the next month, Since I also send out cards for people in my church-only 25 or so-this will be great as with a month ahead all I will need to do is mail them. Also, with what I have currently I have several different 'Get Well' and such, but I put off making a personal one as I mess around and keep putting things off. This will help so much!!

My goal is 200 cards this year. I will do it!!!!
 1 user thanked Annabella for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/20/2013(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 9:49:27 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: Annabella Go to Quoted Post
You will find once you start this project it will be hard to stop!!!

This is also my desire for 2014. I purchased an expandable file and have the months marked. Then will a master list I have started to put together a card for the individual. My husband suggested that instead of January having just January, it will have the following months birthday/anniversary list so I will have a head start for the next month, Since I also send out cards for people in my church-only 25 or so-this will be great as with a month ahead all I will need to do is mail them. Also, with what I have currently I have several different 'Get Well' and such, but I put off making a personal one as I mess around and keep putting things off. This will help so much!!

My goal is 200 cards this year. I will do it!!!!

Wow...that's an aggressive goal...do you usually make that many? Or near that many? I probably do good to get 25 or 30 done in a year. I do wish I could organize my time better to get MORE done, though.

Love your thoughts/ideas, too.

Char