Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
sweettooth Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 3:21:39 PM(UTC)
sweettooth

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 287 time(s) in 199 post(s)
http://annagriffin.com/c...cut-explore-sneak-peek-4
It is the second picture down with the ribbon on it. If you enlarge the picture, and look at the cuts on the bottom of the doily, you will see what I mean. These are the kind of cuts, I have seen in the past. They are not what I would call clean cuts. This is what I was hoping this machine wouldn't do.
 2 users thanked sweettooth for this useful post.
GypsyBoricua on 2/7/2014(UTC), Scrapperdee on 2/7/2014(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 3:28:15 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19106 time(s) in 8537 post(s)
Looks like white core cardstock and I've never gotten clean cuts with that on any of my Cricuts. So I quite buying it even if it was on sale or a great deal!
 2 users thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
Scrappy_Vee on 2/7/2014(UTC), ChelaDones on 2/8/2014(UTC)
sweettooth Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 3:34:56 PM(UTC)
sweettooth

Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
Looks like white core cardstock and I've never gotten clean cuts with that on any of my Cricuts. So I quite buying it even if it was on sale or a great deal!

What makes it different? Is it the same with colored core too? Does it have anything to do with the size of the cuts? I know I have some of both, but I honestly don't remember if I had problems cutting it or not. If that is the case, it would make a good test project, to see if someone could find good settings for it.
 3 users thanked sweettooth for this useful post.
GypsyBoricua on 2/7/2014(UTC), Scrapperdee on 2/7/2014(UTC), MaryScraps on 2/7/2014(UTC)
PaperCraft65 Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 3:44:56 PM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Oooh yea - that does look awful up close. If you want to enlarge the picture - just hold down the control key (CTRL) and scroll your center mouse wheel forward. (CTRL and roll back to restore it)

Cardstock can make a world if difference. I have some white core card stock that still cuts way better than that - but a color core usually looks better if you can find it.

Hobby Lobby/Paper Pastimes paper does not cut good for me at all.

American Crafts always cuts super nice.

I would love to see some comparison cuts with the other cutters. Apples to Apples - exact same design and size. That will be possible with the new machine.

1 user thanked PaperCraft65 for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 2/7/2014(UTC)
MaryScraps Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 5:31:19 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 6894 time(s) in 2801 post(s)
Even though it is white core cardstock. You can see it is not a clean cut.
Maybe the wrong setting was used.
Maybe it needs a custom setting rather then a preset setting.
But after seeing that project, it definitely looks like a repeat problem with all the Cricut machines.
Giving this the benefit of the doubt.
Maybe she used the machine so much that it needs a new blade.

Edited by user Friday, February 07, 2014 5:35:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked MaryScraps for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 2/7/2014(UTC), ChelaDones on 2/8/2014(UTC)
kimJ Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 5:42:08 PM(UTC)
kimJ

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Wow...when you enlarge the picture there is so much white that it almost looks like she used a white gel pen to draw around the cuts.Glare
 1 user thanked kimJ for this useful post.
paperlover Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 5:43:07 PM(UTC)
paperlover

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 89 post(s)
Wondering why Anna thought that was good enough to post on her blog. She would not sell a die cut that looked like that....or maybe she sanded the paper and that is the look she was going for.
 1 user thanked paperlover for this useful post.
Scrappy_Vee on 2/7/2014(UTC)
ellamap Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 5:57:17 PM(UTC)
ellamap

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 200 post(s)
I see two other doily cuts that appear to be the same cut but with different paper. These cuts are clean as is the intricate flower border on another cut. I have to agree that it is the white core paper. I don't get good cuts with that card stock either. I would ink around it as best as I could to cover the white.
PaperCraft65 Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 6:20:59 PM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

I agree - the other papers look fine. The letters also look like they cut well also. And LOOKIE - CIRCLES! LOL It could also be a problem with the cut file itself.

Here is a cut from a different brand machine - but with CHEAP white core cardstock. I just cut them a few minutes ago. It is a Lori Whitlock file (hers are AMAZING!)

Same cut - just two sizes.

Big cut is 6" and the small on is 3.5" - both came out perfect - can't really even tell it is white core.

The most trouble I have with white core looking bad is when making a 3D object and when the score lines are folded the white really shows.

These were cut from super cheap ColorBok cardstock. 30 sheets for $5. Not Cricut cuts.

other cuts

Edited by user Friday, February 07, 2014 7:07:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked PaperCraft65 for this useful post.
Tina M on 2/10/2014(UTC)
Scrappy_Vee Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 6:28:48 PM(UTC)
Scrappy_Vee

New Zealand

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 187 post(s)
I have had some intricate designs not cut out nice and clean before but not every hole looked that evenly rustic.

Has Anna distressed it perhaps? The other die cuts are perfect so perhaps that the look she was going for in the second photo. I kind of like it... but that's me.
sweettooth Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 6:33:25 PM(UTC)
sweettooth

Originally Posted by: PaperCraft65 Go to Quoted Post
I agree - the other papers look fine. The letters also look like they cut well also. And LOOKIE - CIRCLES! LOL It could also be a problem with the cut file itself.

Here is a cut from a different brand machine - but with CHEAP white core cardstock. I just cut them a few minutes ago. It is a Lori Whitlock file (hers are AMAZING!)

Big cut is 6" and the small on is 3.5" - both came out perfect - can't really even tell it is white core.

The most trouble I have with white core looking bad is when making a 3D object and when the score lines are folded the white really shows.

These were cut from super cheap ColorBok cardstock. 30 sheets for $5.

other cuts

Wow circles are circles and cuts are really clean. That is what I want to see in a cricut machine! I guess time will tell.
Jooniper Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 6:34:10 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 873 time(s) in 631 post(s)
It probably has to do with the fiber density? You know like there are some thick chipboards you can cut with your Cricut, and then there are some thick chipboard your Cricut won't even cut at all.

The DCWV cardstock stacks do not cut well for me in the Cricut. Most times the printed layer peels off the white layer. I use Core'dinations cardstock in my Cricut and it cuts nice and no layers peeling from each other.
Crafterlunn Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 7:01:11 PM(UTC)
Crafterlunn

United States

Was thanked: 608 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scrappy_Vee Go to Quoted Post
I have had some intricate designs not cut out nice and clean before but not every hole looked that evenly rustic.

Has Anna distressed it perhaps? The other die cuts are perfect so perhaps that the look she was going for in the second photo. I kind of like it... but that's me.

I agree with you. I think she sanded it to give it a distressed look. My concerned is the rosette. Did you see the circles cut around the rosette borders? Yep, wonky circles again. I asked on FB about that and they told me I would be surprised of how perfect the machine cuts. I would like to see more circles and scalloped circle cuts.
 1 user thanked Crafterlunn for this useful post.
Scrappy_Vee on 2/8/2014(UTC)
PaperCraft65 Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 7:06:17 PM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Err...my doily's were not cut on a Cricut... But I am hoping the new one can do that! I just wanted to point out that I was using cheap white core cardstock and very small fine detail.

If you look at the next picture on AG blog - the rose looks like the same cardstock and it is cut very clean... So I am wondering if the cut file itself has some issues. Maybe some extra nodes causing jagged cuts?

I don't think the doily is sanded - you can see hanging paper on the corners of the cuts.

Edited by user Friday, February 07, 2014 7:09:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PaperCraft65 Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 7:16:03 PM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Quote:
Did you see the circles cut around the rosette borders? Yep, wonky circles again.

They look pretty good - do you think the "wonky ones" are the ones on the fold, and the fold just makes them look distorted the picture? The small ones that are not on the fold look fine.
Crafterlunn Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 7:45:47 PM(UTC)
Crafterlunn

United States

They look pretty good - do you think the "wonky ones" are the ones on the fold, and the fold just makes them look distorted the picture? The small ones that are not on the fold look fine.

I really hope you are right. They look wonky to me :-( especially if you see the small ones in the bottom left corners. I'm really exited about this machine but I really need to see more cuts.
CricketCMV Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 8:25:53 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8166 time(s) in 4788 post(s)
I think that second picture looks like she has spackled something white all along there; I don't necessarily like the look. Is anyone here friends enough to call her and talk to her about it? I can't imagine why she would want to show that, either, if the machine was not cutting the circles correctly. She, as well as many of us, would know all too well how catastrophic that could be. I think she has spackled!! Another "Anna" mentioned in the comments about how bad those circles look; but, Anna didn't reply. Maybe she doesn't normally do that in the comments.

I also think the white lines leading to the circles on the next cut in question creates an illusion and looks like there are papers hanging off the circle (however tiny). I think those circles are looking good.

I seldom have problems with the white core papers; occasionally, I do, but I can usually come up with a different setting to help me. A long time ago, someone gave a tip to turn that paper over on the mats (in this case you would FLIP your image, so it comes out the way you need for it to for your project. IT WOULD BE A GREAT TEST for five or six people who have the VERY SAME white core papers CUT the same images and show the settings they used....and their good or bad results; I love that the OP mentioned this.

It would be very interesting to know if Anna did this on purpose. I can't see how she would think that looks all that great; since it does appear the circles/design is not cutting properly. Why would she want to show that?

Char
Crafterlunn Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2014 8:55:11 PM(UTC)
Crafterlunn

United States

These were cut from super cheap ColorBok cardstock. 30 sheets for $5. Not Cricut cuts.

other cuts

Wow!!! Love it. I really hope the explorer can make cuts like that
 1 user thanked Crafterlunn for this useful post.
Sherri Kay Offline
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 1:06:40 AM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2408 time(s) in 2160 post(s)
If the Explore can cut all the different items on the list that was posted, white core cardstock should not cut this bad!Confused
 1 user thanked Sherri Kay for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/8/2014(UTC)
ChelaDones Offline
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 1:38:46 AM(UTC)
ChelaDones

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 109 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
I think that second picture looks like she has spackled something white all along there; I don't necessarily like the look. Is anyone here friends enough to call her and talk to her about it? I can't imagine why she would want to show that, either, if the machine was not cutting the circles correctly. She, as well as many of us, would know all too well how catastrophic that could be. I think she has spackled!! Another "Anna" mentioned in the comments about how bad those circles look; but, Anna didn't reply. Maybe she doesn't normally do that in the comments.

I also think the white lines leading to the circles on the next cut in question creates an illusion and looks like there are papers hanging off the circle (however tiny). I think those circles are looking good.

I seldom have problems with the white core papers; occasionally, I do, but I can usually come up with a different setting to help me. A long time ago, someone gave a tip to turn that paper over on the mats (in this case you would FLIP your image, so it comes out the way you need for it to for your project. IT WOULD BE A GREAT TEST for five or six people who have the VERY SAME white core papers CUT the same images and show the settings they used....and their good or bad results; I love that the OP mentioned this.

It would be very interesting to know if Anna did this on purpose. I can't see how she would think that looks all that great; since it does appear the circles/design is not cutting properly. Why would she want to show that?

Char

I would like to know that too. But on the other hand, does anyone remember the first few Cricut Magazine issues? There were several cuts that looked like they were done with dull blades. I have NO CLUE as to why they would publish them. They definitely didn't look purposely distressed.

~Angela
 1 user thanked ChelaDones for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/8/2014(UTC)
DebbieMamagona Offline
#21 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:23:48 AM(UTC)
DebbieMamagona

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
What is white core cardstock? I have never heard of this. Does Michaels or Joanns carry it? I would like to try it.
PaperCraft65 Offline
#22 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:50:04 AM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Debbie - white core is usually a cheaper cardstock. The color is just on the outside of the paper. It usually doesn't say white core - but if you look at the sides of the paper, you can see it.

Solid core means the color goes all the way through the paper.

Olivia'sNana Offline
#23 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:53:59 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 915 time(s) in 449 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DebbieMamagona Go to Quoted Post
What is white core cardstock? I have never heard of this. Does Michaels or Joanns carry it? I would like to try it.

Most of the cheaper cardstock is white core. It just means that the paper is white sandwiched between a front and back color layer of paper. I don't care for it because the edges of any cut will be white and any raw edges on folded 3-d objects will have white showing. The colorbok at walmart is white core but it does cut good in the cricut. Without a good clean cut, whitecore would have the same or worse tacky looking results as the image in anna's post
Cricutgirlg Offline
#24 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 7:01:56 AM(UTC)
Cricutgirlg

Was thanked: 428 time(s) in 305 post(s)
I can't wait to see what it does on Wednesday. I couldn't tell much on-line, but i'm taking you guys word for it that this is a concern. I just bought a ton of white cord from J's that's DCWV. I hope I don't need to return it. I was planning on using it for matting. I mostly use AC in my Cricuts and I've had no problem with this paper.
rhondah* Offline
#25 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 7:23:57 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

United States

Was thanked: 15376 time(s) in 9017 post(s)
Looking forward to the demos on Wed. Not a fan of white core and that's what it looks like they used.
nancyh Offline
#26 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 7:31:09 AM(UTC)
nancyh

Was thanked: 643 time(s) in 481 post(s)
White core is not necessarily cheaper paper. I think it depends on the white core paper. CTMH is white core paper, and cuts very nicely on my cricut. A lot of DCWV is white core and textured and sometimes that makes for a bad combination when trying to cut on the cricut. I think smooth white core paper cuts better.

That being said, I agree, that that is a bad cut in the picture. With the lack of people being able to show what this machine can actually do, I'm finding it very hard to get excited about it.
 2 users thanked nancyh for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/8/2014(UTC), NJsharon on 2/8/2014(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#27 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 9:50:43 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8166 time(s) in 4788 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nancyh Go to Quoted Post
White core is not necessarily cheaper paper. I think it depends on the white core paper. CTMH is white core paper, and cuts very nicely on my cricut. A lot of DCWV is white core and textured and sometimes that makes for a bad combination when trying to cut on the cricut. I think smooth white core paper cuts better.

That being said, I agree, that that is a bad cut in the picture. With the lack of people being able to show what this machine can actually do, I'm finding it very hard to get excited about it.

TEXTURED can definitely be a problem....because the blade cannot be expected to cut evenly through a texture. It would be the same if you tried to cut a STRAIGHT LINE with scissors when cutting through the texture. Even if you cut a straight line, it doesn't look like you did. So, it could be that paper is textured.

Someone needs to let ANNA know this is a concern and if she is not concerned, then it would be nice to know why she isn't....why would she post it?

I have used a lot of white core; I usually just hide the white that shows with an embellishment (if there were only a few problems and the flaw can be hidden). I don't stress about it if there's not a lot of white showing and I can hide it. I have also (due to other tips on these MBs) used color to hide the white that blends in with the color of the paper.

However, where you are trying to SELL a product, I don't think I would attempt to show anything like this, even if I didn't think it was an issue myself. It raises too many questions....like it has here. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people are reading these posts.

Char

MaryStillman Offline
#28 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 10:20:45 AM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1248 time(s) in 791 post(s)
I don't think the circles look wonky. I think its camera distortion and how the flowers are posed.

I love white core stock, but not for regular cuts, but for embossing and sanding. Gives a vintage look.

Here's my valentine cards for this year. The cards would not have worked if it was not white core paper.

JMO

Mary
MaryStillman attached the following image(s):
WhiteCorePaper.jpg
 2 users thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
ChelaDones on 2/9/2014(UTC), bethdoc on 2/10/2014(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#29 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 10:33:03 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19106 time(s) in 8537 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sherri Kay Go to Quoted Post
If the Explore can cut all the different items on the list that was posted, white core cardstock should not cut this bad!Confused

It shouldn't if the right settings were used. I don't know if Anna cut those herself or if one of her design team members did, but they were not Cricut users before. Cuttlebug yes, but Cricut, not so much. When Anna attended Mania, she was amazed at all the different projects people had made and were making with their Cricut. So, if that isn't the "look" they were going for, they just need to learn the different settings and make some test cuts with different papers. And possibly change the blade.

I think Anna has the Explore that was demoed at the Reveal party {I haven't heard of any blogger that attended the Reveal receiving their Explore yet}, which means that blade has cut everything from paper to glitter paper to metal and wood. So maybe that's an issue too.
GypsyBoricua Offline
#30 Posted : Saturday, February 08, 2014 10:50:22 AM(UTC)
GypsyBoricua

Was thanked: 761 time(s) in 409 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
It shouldn't if the right settings were used. I don't know if Anna cut those herself or if one of her design team members did, but they were not Cricut users before. Cuttlebug yes, but Cricut, not so much. When Anna attended Mania, she was amazed at all the different projects people had made and were making with their Cricut. So, if that isn't the "look" they were going for, they just need to learn the different settings and make some test cuts with different papers. And possibly change the blade.

I think Anna has the Explore that was demoed at the Reveal party {I haven't heard of any blogger that attended the Reveal receiving their Explore yet}, which means that blade has cut everything from paper to glitter paper to metal and wood. So maybe that's an issue too.

I thought the Explore and Design Space does all the settings for you, so why would you need to learn the different settings?
 1 user thanked GypsyBoricua for this useful post.
Sherri Kay on 2/8/2014(UTC)