Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Canadian Paper Shaper Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:18:06 PM(UTC)
Canadian Paper Shaper

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I'm one of the faithful users of Cricut since my baby bug in 2006. Within a year I graduated to the Cricut Expression and loved every minute of it! When the Cricut Imagine was introduced, it was a big chunk of money to be spent on the robust machine but I had no fear because Cricut was tried and true in their commitment to their customers and their products. Fact was, on my recommendation a few crafting friends also made the plunge into the Cricut Imagine as well.

I was somewhat concerned when the Cricut E2 came to market soon after the Imagine but understood that the Imagine was not in everyone's budget so updating the Expression was necessary and because I was a Cricut Circle member I took advantage of getting the X2 anniversary edition. I was getting a bit nervous though, because the cartridge development was slowing for the Cricut Imagine. Those other friends who had purchased their Imagines, on my recommendation, too started to chatter about what was going on but we all kept the faith and that brings me to today....

I was astounded when the Explorer was announce along with the announcement the Cricut was no longer building or supporting the Imagine! Without support what are we imagineers supposed to do when the special mats we have are no longer any use? We need the mats made for the Imagine to engage the print 'n cut feature! What are we supposed to do when the ink cartridges run dry, as these were especially developed for the Imagine and are not sold anywhere but through Cricut? I can't believe that you would release a machine at the price point of $400+ then within 5 years disown it and the customers who bought it. I can't even look those crafting ladies in the eye after this :(

Will Cricut consider a trade in value for the Imagine, towards the Explorer? Will Cricut restore my faith in them after I told my friends to "Purchase the Imagine because Cricut/ Provo Craft stands behind every product they make, so hand over the savings with confidence". Please tell me this is not how the Cricut Imagine story will end.

Faith Cricut User,

Melitta
 3 users thanked Canadian Paper Shaper for this useful post.
Moxy77 on 2/12/2014(UTC), Bewitched on 2/13/2014(UTC), LindainWA on 2/13/2014(UTC)
Momof2monsters Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:31:50 PM(UTC)
Momof2monsters

Was thanked: 310 time(s) in 243 post(s)
Unfortunately they will become very pricey doorstoppers. Since they have abandoned it a year ago, I try to pick up as many mats as I could. I am afraid that is considered old technology and has moved on. Of course PC will blame it on the "old" CEO.

I was also surprised they came out with the Explore. PC is "trying" to capture the market once again since they have failed so miserably with the Imagine. Little too late. Other cutters are already doing the same thing BUT better. I have no faith in PC any longer. Don't tell me these other "features" will be available later on down the road. Why would you buy a machine that does not do everything today? No software launched so people can try. Sounds like there software is buggy too.

Watched the launch yesterday and did not see anything I would like in that machine. Internet dependent was the biggest drawback. Couldn't justify buying that machine after the Imagine debacle. Saved myself some $$ and quite happy too.
 2 users thanked Momof2monsters for this useful post.
Canadian Paper Shaper on 2/14/2014(UTC), Annabella on 2/14/2014(UTC)
TammyPuckett Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:59:56 PM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 195 post(s)
Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done! Mine works fine as a stand-alone machine & with my Gypsy. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who still has one that works. It is so aggravating that PC doesn't care enough about their customers to fulfill what was promised with this product.
 1 user thanked TammyPuckett for this useful post.
Canadian Paper Shaper on 2/14/2014(UTC)
sassyk Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:57:15 PM(UTC)
sassyk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I agree, I love my Imagine; and anything else is inferior as far as I'm concerned. With technology the way it is I don't believe for a second they couldn't revamp it and make it the machine it was designed to be. Until that happens, I'm not buying and I hope another company picks up where they dropped the ball ... I have too much invested and thought the explore was going to be the answer for me, but it's not ...maybe the next machine will .. until then, i'm not buying... i sincerely wish everyone luck with their purchase ...
 3 users thanked sassyk for this useful post.
TammyPuckett on 2/13/2014(UTC), Canadian Paper Shaper on 2/14/2014(UTC), Annabella on 2/14/2014(UTC)
Kiethann Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:31:15 PM(UTC)
Kiethann

United States

Was thanked: 682 time(s) in 521 post(s)
I am one of the unfortunate ones. Was very thrilled to be able to get the Imagine. It worked the way it was supposed to for the first few cuts. Then it quit the feature of printing my own cardstock. Then, it would not let me use the original cartridges with it. Next (after spending a ton of money on more Imagine cartridges) found out none of them were recognized by my Imagine. The next little disaster was....a rat chewed my phone line and I was unable to do any updates so I could use all of the cartridges. Finally two summers ago, DH paid to have satellite installed, but it was slow and my Imagine would not do any updates. Now I can only use the first cartridge and that is it. BUMMER. It is a darn shame company can not figure out a way to fix our boat anchors so they work properly. Unfortunately, I can not use the Explorer because of the system my computer uses. Guess I will just have to stick with my Expression, but just hate that I spent so much money on Imagine and cartridges and can not use any of them.

PC how about figuring out some way to accommodate us or compensate us for our losses. Some of us just do not have the luxury of advancing with technology. Either because of where we live or because of budget.
 2 users thanked Kiethann for this useful post.
TammyPuckett on 2/13/2014(UTC), Canadian Paper Shaper on 2/14/2014(UTC)
Narelle Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:34:42 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7883 time(s) in 3691 post(s)
I don't consider myself stuck with my Imagine. It works great as a standalone and most of the time with CCR.
 3 users thanked Narelle for this useful post.
Soo on 2/13/2014(UTC), melodylanedesigns on 2/13/2014(UTC), Canadian Paper Shaper on 2/14/2014(UTC)
Scootingranny Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:39:23 PM(UTC)
Scootingranny

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 3495 time(s) in 1907 post(s)
I really like my Imagine and will continue to use it till it drops. My first one had to be replaced because a belt broke but PC customer service got a new one to me very promptly as it was still under warranty. I had to buy a new power cord last week but that's not a big deal for me to be able to continue to use it. When and IF it craters, DH who is very technical, will dissect it and hopefully be able to repair it.

I bought mine at the WalMart Black Friday special for $189 a few years ago. I have quite a few ink cartridges that I got back when they had the Imagine ink special. And you can buy replacement HP cartridges that work with the Imagine. I don't have the cartridge numbers but they've been posted a few times.

Almost all of our tech toys will be considered antiquated technology less than 5 years after they're made. Gaming systems, cel phones, tvs, even modes of music. And very few people keep a car for 5 years. So I have started looking at everything electronic that way...if it's brand new I have to consider it may be outdated in 5 years or less...will it be worth the purchase price now? If so, I will plan to get it. If not, I'll find something else or forget it.

But I do want that product to perform what's been promised. I'm hoping the Explore will deliver
 1 user thanked Scootingranny for this useful post.
Khrista Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:05:13 PM(UTC)
Khrista

United States

Was thanked: 2510 time(s) in 1398 post(s)
Hm.. I haven't heard an announcement of it not being supported. No longer made and no new cartridges, yes. That it'd continue to be supported though for troubleshooting and the mats. Blades are interchangeable and the ink is just HP ink now.

Khrista
 1 user thanked Khrista for this useful post.
Soo on 2/13/2014(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:17:10 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19094 time(s) in 8532 post(s)
Mine works too as a stand alone machine. I never even tried to use it with CCR.

If anyone's Imagine isn't working, call PC. CS will help you try to get it working. I know that's not always possible, but they will try.
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
CricutGena Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:40:42 PM(UTC)
CricutGena

Was thanked: 997 time(s) in 319 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Khrista Go to Quoted Post
Hm.. I haven't heard an announcement of it not being supported. No longer made and no new cartridges, yes. That it'd continue to be supported though for troubleshooting and the mats. Blades are interchangeable and the ink is just HP ink now.

Khrista

Thank you, this is exactly correct. Customer service still supports the Imagine with troubleshooting and updates when required. You are also able to purchase the HP 97 and 98 ink cartridges at local office supply stores. The mats are still available on cricut.com for purchase.

-Cricut Gena
 5 users thanked CricutGena for this useful post.
MarthaJackson on 2/13/2014(UTC), melodylanedesigns on 2/13/2014(UTC), Khrista on 2/13/2014(UTC), Moxy77 on 2/14/2014(UTC), Canadian Paper Shaper on 2/14/2014(UTC)
Llamagrl Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:47:58 PM(UTC)
Llamagrl

United States

Was thanked: 253 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I love my Imagine!!Love

Mine works as a stand alone and (as of this writing) with CCR as well.

I had my problems though. I bought mine on Black Friday and it didn't work so they shipped me a new one and then a month out of warranty, it stopped cutting. PC sent me a new one even though they didn't have to. So far, this one is working fine.

If the print then cut feature pans out on the Explore then I will get that machine...then I wont have to worry about my Imagine dying!BigGrin
 2 users thanked Llamagrl for this useful post.
melodylanedesigns on 2/13/2014(UTC), Canadian Paper Shaper on 2/14/2014(UTC)
Sandy Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:45:49 AM(UTC)
Sandy

United States

Was thanked: 6041 time(s) in 2478 post(s)
Love my Imagine! I bought it at launch and it is still running...like the energizer bunny! LOL LOL
 2 users thanked Sandy for this useful post.
GrammySue Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:26:39 AM(UTC)
GrammySue

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Narelle Go to Quoted Post
I don't consider myself stuck with my Imagine. It works great as a standalone and most of the time with CCR.

I totally agree/ I love my Imagine as a matter of fact I bought an extra refurbished. I will use them both until they won't work anymore. Hopefully a long time. Oh and I did buy the Explore. Totally different machine.
 1 user thanked GrammySue for this useful post.
Nallian Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:32:36 AM(UTC)
Nallian

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I love my Imagine as well. The images are beautiful. I have nursery tails, snow friends, seasons, etc. My adapter did smoke but it was replaced. I do not update the machine. By itself it still works fine...but I wish it had not been abandoned. I do understand technology changes and companies want to make gimmicks to make money. But I have an several electronics that are a few years old that still work fine and are supported.

I may be in the minority but I liked the old CEO. We had a circle blog, the message board rocked, giveaways, cruises, rewards programs. The commercials were cute. I loved Ginger.
Now, I feel like the loyal customers have been put by the wayside. I have been part of this community since 2009. The message board has really died down.
 2 users thanked Nallian for this useful post.
GrammySue Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:52:57 PM(UTC)
GrammySue

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 100 post(s)
It say what happens is that all of us who bought the Imagine just get past it. It is over. No matter what we say it is over. I have two. I have had a ton of problems at times but I have also had a ton of fun. I still love this machine. When they die I will sadly bury them. Lets just get past it. Start living again and having fun.
 2 users thanked GrammySue for this useful post.
melodylanedesigns on 2/13/2014(UTC), Scootingranny on 2/14/2014(UTC)
Coah'sNana Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:34:43 PM(UTC)
Coah'sNana

Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Was thanked: 16472 time(s) in 4409 post(s)
I have two perfectly working Imagines and I love them.
The only thing that makes me sad is the lack of new content.
However, I LOVE the carts I already have.
 1 user thanked Coah'sNana for this useful post.
Eeyore2005 Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:43:59 PM(UTC)
Eeyore2005

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Thanks to support my Imagine is now up and running. But it's kinda hard to get past a $500 investment that PC never fully followed through with, them dumped when they realized they couldn't keep all the promises that were made. I'm happy mine's working again (at least as of last week, haven't turned it on this week), but it's a hard pill to swallow. Especially for those of us that scrimped and saved for it. That's a lot of money that was spent on that particular machine. I also started with the Baby Bug in 2006, upgraded to the Expression when it was released (had two actually, got the Blue one at WalMart on Black Friday a number of years ago, then sold the original). I then bought Design Studio for $50 because I loved the idea of creating with the computer. I was disappointed when they ended that. I still think it was better than Craft Room. My Expression cut flawlessly with DS, now it won't cut smaller images clean through Craft Room (I haven't done all the updates that were needed). I was pumped when the Imagine was released. I purchased it from PC shortly after it's release. I believe they were going to follow with the promises that were made. I figured PC had finally come out with a product that would work for me. We all know what promises were made and broken, I won't get into it. But I don't blame other Imagine owners for feeling like they're due something from PC. Even through mine is working (and I'm thrilled, Matt at support was AWESOME!), I'm still upset with how they handled the machine and situation. I don't believe we ever got an apology either. The release of the Explore reeks of the way they handled things with the Imagine. Personally, until they proved to me they have changed their ways, I won't be buying another PC machine. Sadly the Imagine was it for me. It doesn't mean I won't buy cartridges, as I still like being able to have ready made cuts at my disposal. I've just been very picky in the cartridges I purchase.

Just my two cents.
Brenda

PS. Kudos to Matt at Support! He's totally my hero!
 1 user thanked Eeyore2005 for this useful post.
Eeyore2005 Offline
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:47:26 PM(UTC)
Eeyore2005

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Coah'sNana Go to Quoted Post

I really wish they were still releasing Imagine cartridges. I have three and would love to have more, but I'm not interested in much of what they came out with. It would be nice, especially since the E2 accepts those carts as well (even though it doesn't print).
 1 user thanked Eeyore2005 for this useful post.
Theresa Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:51:43 PM(UTC)
Theresa

Was thanked: 469 time(s) in 403 post(s)
I love my Imagine. It works fine. I am a bit concerned about the mats eventually not being available. We need those in order to cut and print. As someone else has said the Explore launch reeks of the Anniversary E the E2 and even the Imagine launch. That's when provocraft started selling incomplete machines. By that I mean machines that were not ready to be released and only did part of the things that it was suppose to do, eventually. Who sells a product that's not ready to be sold yet? I wanted to like the Explore. I would have even bought it if they showed me that it did something special. Did they even demonstrate the machine actually working? That host was talking so much saying the same things over and over and over which really had nothing to do with how the machine actually worked. Poor Ana couldn't get a word in edgewise. So I never really found out what it's suppose to be able to do. To me that launch was absolutely useless.

Edited by user Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:52:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users thanked Theresa for this useful post.
jillieneIsaacs on 2/13/2014(UTC), TammyPuckett on 2/14/2014(UTC), Canadian Paper Shaper on 2/14/2014(UTC)
Calmom Offline
#20 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 12:15:59 AM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2095 time(s) in 1069 post(s)
I can offer some suggestions for those who live in the U.S. EBay sells the Imagine Mats and if you call HP, they will tell your the Ink Cartridge that is compatible with the original Imagine Ink Cartridges. You can also take your Cartridges to Costco and have them refilled, my friend does it all the time.

I sold my Imagine within a year of buying it at launch and took a significant loss, it was not a good experience. However, I have bought every Cricut Machine including the Gypsy at Launch and I have loved all of them but the Imagine. I just bought the Explore and can't wait to get it.

As with any Technology, after 4 * 5 yrs, most companies don't support their products because technology is changing on a daily basis.

I hope you find a solution and like other posters have said, call PC if you have a problem, if they can help, I have no doubt they will.
 2 users thanked Calmom for this useful post.
GypsyBoricua on 2/14/2014(UTC), Canadian Paper Shaper on 2/14/2014(UTC)
Sojourne Offline
#21 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 12:29:52 AM(UTC)
Sojourne

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 55 post(s)
I too love my Imagine. It is a feature packed workhorse that has worked perfectly for me. LOL I have every machine except the E because I sold it. The Imagine was far better a machine and cut far more superior than the E ever did. I believe it just had too many features and confused people so it didn't catch on so Pc had no incentive on improving it. The mini is also better than the E. With that said, I have the original, Create, Mini, Imagine and Gypsy. I just bought the Explore. Pc better not let me down! Love
 1 user thanked Sojourne for this useful post.
scrapalette Offline
#22 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 8:07:57 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19094 time(s) in 8532 post(s)
When PC announced that the Imagine had been discontinued, they also announced the compatible standard HP ink carts. It's even listed with the Imagine ink description on the shopping pages of cricut.com:

Cricut Imagine® Black Print Cartridge

This cartridge has been discontinued and is no longer available. The Cricut Imagine now works with standard HP ink cartridges! Please update your machine via Cricut Sync to firmware version 123 and content version 35. The replacement ink cartridges are as follows: Tri-color: 97, 134, 344 Black: 98, 129, 377

Originally Posted by: Theresa Go to Quoted Post
I love my Imagine. It works fine. I am a bit concerned about the mats eventually not being available. We need those in order to cut and print. As someone else has said the Explore launch reeks of the Anniversary E the E2 and even the Imagine launch. That's when provocraft started selling incomplete machines. By that I mean machines that were not ready to be released and only did part of the things that it was suppose to do, eventually. Who sells a product that's not ready to be sold yet? I wanted to like the Explore. I would have even bought it if they showed me that it did something special. Did they even demonstrate the machine actually working? That host was talking so much saying the same things over and over and over which really had nothing to do with how the machine actually worked. Poor Ana couldn't get a word in edgewise. So I never really found out what it's suppose to be able to do. To me that launch was absolutely useless.

HSN is a selling show, not an educational one. PC revealed the Explore at the end of Jan to 100 bloggers and showed them demos and they got hands on time with it. Some of them started blogging about it. Some are waiting until they actually get their hands on their own machine to put it through their own "tests". HSN rarely gives any "tutorial" type info on any of their products.

Every consumer for every product should always purchase based on what the item can do now. Now what it will do, might do, should do in the future. It's very easy to get caught up in the hype of a new product and then be disapointed.
#23 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 1:03:29 PM(UTC)
Canadian Paper Shaper

Originally Posted by: CricutGena Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, this is exactly correct. Customer service still supports the Imagine with troubleshooting and updates when required. You are also able to purchase the HP 97 and 98 ink cartridges at local office supply stores. The mats are still available on cricut.com for purchase.

-Cricut Gena

It's wonderful that HP is going to pick up the severed line on ink but what's the answer on the mats? No specialized mat, NO cutting. Is Cricut going to commit to continue making mats indefinitely for a product they no longer make? It doesn't help me that mats are still for sale as no matter how many I buy, when I run out so does the print & cut feature of my machine, which is the entire purpose of the machine right? What I meant when I said 'No longer supporting' was producing and selling images or cartridges, mats, inks and part for repairing the Imagine etc. it's obvious to me that Cricut is now going to concentrate on supporting the 'always on the Internet program' and designing images for the Explorer, and that is of no help to those of use who have the stand alone Imagine. Facts are facts, I will never be able to get new images to print and cut on my Imagine right? There will not be any work performed on updating the Imagine technology to work with the Explorer software, to give me more images to cut right? In order to use the new image software I would have to buy an Explorer but once bitten twice shy. Please let me know if I have been misinformed and thanks for chiming in on the conversation.

Blessings,
Melitta
#24 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 1:19:36 PM(UTC)
Canadian Paper Shaper

Originally Posted by: Coah'sNana Go to Quoted Post

I too love my Imagine, and I love all of the Imagine cartridges I own as well, but I'm sad that there will never be a new Imagine cartridge.

My first Imagine broke down but the awesome customer service that Provo/Cricut provides sent me a new one and it works great! I know that of course one day it may tank and the print and cut part of my cartridges will be useless but I will still be able to cut from them using my E2.

My big concern is that my Imagine machine will be working great for a very long time but I won't be able to use it for lack of the specialty mats! I'm going to buy them wherever I see them, I will stock up as much as I can but the experience of the Imagine bug troubles etc and then the dropping of it will make me think twice about buying another Cricut :(
MaryScraps Offline
#25 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 1:58:40 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6894 time(s) in 2801 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Canadian Paper Shaper Go to Quoted Post
I too love my Imagine, and I love all of the Imagine cartridges I own as well, but I'm sad that there will never be a new Imagine cartridge.

My first Imagine broke down but the awesome customer service that Provo/Cricut provides sent me a new one and it works great! I know that of course one day it may tank and the print and cut part of my cartridges will be useless but I will still be able to cut from them using my E2.

My big concern is that my Imagine machine will be working great for a very long time but I won't be able to use it for lack of the specialty mats! I'm going to buy them wherever I see them, I will stock up as much as I can but the experience of the Imagine bug troubles etc and then the dropping of it will make me think twice about buying another Cricut :(

Cricut announced quite some time ago that they will continue to make Imagine mats.
Since the printer portion part of the Imagine is HP.
HP has ink cartridges compatible with the Imagine.
If your not comfortable buying a Cricut machine then don't buy one.
No one here is twisting your arm.