Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

GypsyBoricua Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 3:02:18 PM(UTC)
GypsyBoricua

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/6/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,115

Thanks: 1094 times
Was thanked: 760 time(s) in 408 post(s)
Sorry I haven't been in touch regarding this issue. So these are the things I did:

Ran the speed test. It was okay for download but not for upload.

Connected laptop directly to router, no change.
Connected laptop directly into modem, very small change.

I figured it was my modem, since it is 10 years old and went and bought a new modem. No change.

Contacted AT&T tech support, found out some very interesting things.

I do have DSL High Speed Internet Pro which is the fastest for DSL. In describing CCR to them, what it is suppose to do, that fact that it is cloud based, they wanted to know the specifications that PC says it needs. I gave them that info:

•1.5 Mbps Downstream, 896 Kbps Upstream

they stated that my DSL has the top capability to do 3.0 Mbps downstream, 500Kbps Upstream.

Basically what she said, I need to upgrade. Yes DSL is considered Hi Speed, but compared to what is now available, it really isn't. Then she told me that since the software is all on-line and not resident on my computer, I needed to treat it the same way I would treat video streaming, fiber optic vs. copper wiring in my phone line. Though I can watch videos on my laptop, the quality and buffering is not as good.

So, the will be out on Friday to upgrade my internet to the maximum in my area 18Mbps. I am returning the modem I bought yesterday since I need a U-verse modem and I have to pay for it.

When all gets done, I will try CCR, hopefully it will be stable, because stability with CCR should equate with stability in CDSpace.

If, after all this expense and trouble CCR is still unstable, I just might cancel my HSN order for the Explore.

To any who have read this, aside from the two ladies, if you are having problems with CCR, check with your ISP about your internet speed. You may need to upgrade.

 5 users thanked GypsyBoricua for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 2/17/2014(UTC), Eleanor on 2/17/2014(UTC), Marfy on 2/17/2014(UTC), MaryStillman on 2/17/2014(UTC), GracefulGrammar on 2/17/2014(UTC)
MaryScraps Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 3:12:00 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Joined: 11/25/2008(UTC)
Posts: 7,468
United States

Thanks: 9247 times
Was thanked: 6894 time(s) in 2801 post(s)
I hope the upgrade works out for you!
At least you know now what the issue is.
I really hope you are able to get this fixed so you can enjoy the Explore.
 1 user thanked MaryScraps for this useful post.
GypsyBoricua on 2/17/2014(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 4:13:41 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/30/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,080

Thanks: 1184 times
Was thanked: 1247 time(s) in 790 post(s)
good info BBT
 1 user thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
GypsyBoricua on 2/17/2014(UTC)
GracefulGrammar Online
#4 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 4:24:12 PM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/17/2008(UTC)
Posts: 2,366

Thanks: 1067 times
Was thanked: 1909 time(s) in 916 post(s)
Thanks, Gypsy..... hope our little experiment will have a huge speed payoff and major connection benefits for you :-))))))


Originally Posted by: GypsyBoricua Go to Quoted Post
Sorry I haven't been in touch regarding this issue. So these are the things I did:

Ran the speed test. It was okay for download but not for upload.

Connected laptop directly to router, no change.
Connected laptop directly into modem, very small change.

I figured it was my modem, since it is 10 years old and went and bought a new modem. No change.

Contacted AT&T tech support, found out some very interesting things.

I do have DSL High Speed Internet Pro which is the fastest for DSL. In describing CCR to them, what it is suppose to do, that fact that it is cloud based, they wanted to know the specifications that PC says it needs. I gave them that info:

•1.5 Mbps Downstream, 896 Kbps Upstream

they stated that my DSL has the top capability to do 3.0 Mbps downstream, 500Kbps Upstream.

Basically what she said, I need to upgrade. Yes DSL is considered Hi Speed, but compared to what is now available, it really isn't. Then she told me that since the software is all on-line and not resident on my computer, I needed to treat it the same way I would treat video streaming, fiber optic vs. copper wiring in my phone line. Though I can watch videos on my laptop, the quality and buffering is not as good.

So, the will be out on Friday to upgrade my internet to the maximum in my area 18Mbps. I am returning the modem I bought yesterday since I need a U-verse modem and I have to pay for it.

When all gets done, I will try CCR, hopefully it will be stable, because stability with CCR should equate with stability in CDSpace.

If, after all this expense and trouble CCR is still unstable, I just might cancel my HSN order for the Explore.

To any who have read this, aside from the two ladies, if you are having problems with CCR, check with your ISP about your internet speed. You may need to upgrade.



 1 user thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 2/17/2014(UTC)
GypsyBoricua Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 4:44:02 PM(UTC)
GypsyBoricua

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/6/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,115

Thanks: 1094 times
Was thanked: 760 time(s) in 408 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GracefulGrammar Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Gypsy..... hope our little experiment will have a huge speed payoff and major connection benefits for you :-))))))






Yes, I hoping also. It is really interesting because I truly believed I had really fast internet, and it is considered fast because I have the top of the tier of DSL. Perhaps PC should change their requirements and add, in addition to the minimum, a preferred rate of download and upload. Perhaps this will alleviate some of the issues with CCR. Because if this works, and I am successful with both CCR and CDSpace, I will issue an apology to PC for how irritated I was with CCR, when in fact the issue maybe my internet speed all the time. I don't want to get ahead of myself here, I guess I'm hoping that all will be well once I upgrade.
 1 user thanked GypsyBoricua for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 2/17/2014(UTC)
JanisD Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 7:58:18 PM(UTC)
JanisD

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/28/2006(UTC)
Posts: 3,326
United States
Location: U.P. of Mich.

Thanks: 958 times
Was thanked: 1311 time(s) in 1006 post(s)
This is what I currently have through a cable modem, 100Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload. I had At&t before but like the cable much better, my internet is much faster through cable modem.
GypsyBoricua Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 9:51:29 PM(UTC)
GypsyBoricua

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/6/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,115

Thanks: 1094 times
Was thanked: 760 time(s) in 408 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ~JD~ Go to Quoted Post
This is what I currently have through a cable modem, 100Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload. I had At&t before but like the cable much better, my internet is much faster through cable modem.


I think you will be fine. Do you use CCR? If so, do you have any issues with it?
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.392 seconds.
nebo-cricut-03