Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Meece Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 5:39:12 PM(UTC)
Meece

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere else. Is there any way to save our preferences in Design Space? So that, for example, when you create a new project, it opens up into your favorite canvas or workspace, with or without grid, as a default? Similarly, is there any way to turn off the beeps on the Explore? On the Expression, you could turn the chirp on or off, and that never annoyed me. It makes no sense to me, though, why Provo Craft designed a machine that is so much quieter and then had it beep every time the blade picks up. The constant beeping DOES annoy me, and I have searched, so far in vain, for a way to shut it up. Thanks for any help anyone can give!
 1 user thanked Meece for this useful post.
PLZ do on 4/21/2014(UTC)
CricutGena Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 7:47:46 PM(UTC)
CricutGena

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 998 time(s) in 320 post(s)
Originally Posted by: marylouisebuck07f003b7 Go to Quoted Post
I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere else. Is there any way to save our preferences in Design Space? So that, for example, when you create a new project, it opens up into your favorite canvas or workspace, with or without grid, as a default? Similarly, is there any way to turn off the beeps on the Explore? On the Expression, you could turn the chirp on or off, and that never annoyed me. It makes no sense to me, though, why Provo Craft designed a machine that is so much quieter and then had it beep every time the blade picks up. The constant beeping DOES annoy me, and I have searched, so far in vain, for a way to shut it up. Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Hello, there is no way to turn of the "beep". We also do not have a way to set preferences as you have described.

-Cricut Gena
GracefulGrammar Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 7:57:59 PM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1943 time(s) in 932 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Meece Go to Quoted Post

These are excellent suggestions........... thanks :-)

krummrey Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:16:20 AM(UTC)
krummrey

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Oh please, let us turn off the BEEEEEP.
 1 user thanked krummrey for this useful post.
jscraftylady on 6/25/2014(UTC)
Soo Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:19:39 AM(UTC)
Soo

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 143 post(s)
Ha! I hadn't even noticed the beep! BigGrin

Clearly when I'm crafting I'm in my own beep-free world! Turning off the beep (now that I know it's there!) would be nice - but pretty low on the list of enhancements I'd like to see. I can see it would be more important to people who share their crafting space.
jscraftylady Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:41:55 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 2345 time(s) in 1260 post(s)
After Cricut advertised the Explore as a quiet machine, I thought mine was broken. I even posted a video to make sure it wasn't just my machine. I know some people are better at others at blocking out noises but the particular frequency of this beep is not something I can block out. I hate it.
Cricut Robert Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:21:42 PM(UTC)
Cricut Robert

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Meece Go to Quoted Post

The sound you hear is not a beep, it is simply the sound of the motor controlling the blade assembly.
 1 user thanked Cricut Robert for this useful post.
scrapalette on 6/25/2014(UTC)
Soo Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:44:29 PM(UTC)
Soo

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Cricut Robert Go to Quoted Post
The sound you hear is not a beep, it is simply the sound of the motor controlling the blade assembly.

Phew! Pleased to hear that. I really couldn't remember hearing a beep -- and after cutting 250 mats I was worried that perhaps I had hearing (or memory) problems!
jscraftylady Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:46:35 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Seriously?! Because it sounds like a darn heart rate monitor to me. Here's my video for anyone who would like to try to hear the difference between a beep and the sound of the motor controlling the blade assembly.

Leanner Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:10:18 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Was thanked: 1562 time(s) in 1150 post(s)
I am not a fan of the beep either...
Soo Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:39:20 AM(UTC)
Soo

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
Seriously?! Because it sounds like a darn heart rate monitor to me. Here's my video for anyone who would like to try to hear the difference between a beep and the sound of the motor controlling the blade assembly.

I can see how the noise is annoying for you. (I did watch your video to remind myself what the noise was!) I don't think Cricut are saying that the noise isn't there - - simply that it's not a software feature that can be turned on or off. It's a mechanical sound - and from that I'd say it's not something that can be changed with a Design Space update.
jscraftylady Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:41:42 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: Soo Go to Quoted Post
I can see how the noise is annoying for you. (I did watch your video to remind myself what the noise was!) I don't think Cricut are saying that the noise isn't there - - simply that it's not a software feature that can be turned on or off. It's a mechanical sound - and from that I'd say it's not something that can be changed with a Design Space update.

When I asked about the beeping when I first got my Explore at launch, I was told it was a beep that alerted the user that the blade (or pen) was being lowered. I hear the blade assembly moving as well but I hear a separate beeping.
Soo Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:50:07 AM(UTC)
Soo

United Kingdom

When I asked about the beeping when I first got my Explore at launch, I was told it was a beep that alerted the user that the blade (or pen) was being lowered. I hear the blade assembly moving as well but I hear a separate beeping.

Ok. I was just going by the response from Cricut in this thread.

jscraftylady Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 7:09:03 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: Soo Go to Quoted Post
Ok. I was just going by the response from Cricut in this thread.

Obviously, I don't think much of that answer.BigGrin

I think I would be slightly less annoyed by the noise if they hadn't marketed the machine as quiet. After I got it and asked about the noise, I was assured it was still quieter than the competition. I tested that myself and found it to be untrue. I set up my video camera in the room next to my craftroom and cut from my Expression, Cameo and Explore separately. With the door closed, the only noise my camera picked up from any of the machines was the beeping from the Explore. The carriage noise from the Explore and the other machines did not carry.

I like my Explore and I can live with whatever noise it makes. I just didn't appreciate the less than true advertising and then the weird "it's quiet except for the beeping" explanations given after the machine came out.
Cricut Robert Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 7:21:27 AM(UTC)
Cricut Robert

Yep, that is the sound of the stepper motor. Previous products have used solenoids, and while they are quieter, they are not as accurate, nor can they be controlled precisely.
jscraftylady Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 7:26:32 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Yep, that is the sound of the stepper motor. Previous products have used solenoids, and while they are quieter, they are not as accurate, nor can they be controlled precisely.

Then why was the Explore marketed as quieter?
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
GracefulGrammar on 6/26/2014(UTC)
Cricut Robert Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 7:54:14 AM(UTC)
Cricut Robert

Then why was the Explore marketed as quieter?

Sorry, let me clarify what I meant to say, the activation of a solenoid makes almost no noise, but the entire process of activating the solenoid and dropping the mechanism and the blade/pen hitting the paper does make more noise than the mechanism we have in place now. Of course machines do vary as does the hearing of each person listening; perhaps I do not hear the pitch of the stepper motors as loudly as others. I am not in the marketing department, so I cannot speak to that, but from my personal experience, I can say that for me the Explore is much quieter than our previous machines and other machines that I have seen in operation.
 1 user thanked Cricut Robert for this useful post.
Soo on 6/26/2014(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:49:20 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 19136 time(s) in 8557 post(s)
For me, or more true, for my family, the Explore is much quieter than the E and the Cameo. My E used to sit between where my computer and my DH's computer are. He was often annoyed when I was cutting and he was working on intense. When I got the Explore, it replaced the E in that same location. One night I wanted to cut but knew he was working on a deadline for a client so I asked if he thought it would bother him. He said no and I started cutting away and he was amazed at the difference.

As far as the Cameo, I don't have one. But I host a weekend crop {Circle Mania} and there were 60 crafters in the room with a variety of cutters and all the other general socializing going on. My family stopped by with some extra supplies and both my DH and DD immediately started looking around the room for the "clicking" noise. It was a Cameo that was half the room away from me. When they walked down to check it out, they both came back and said "you can never get a cutter that makes that much noise!".

The noises from the E, the Explore and that Cameo, never really bothered me. So I guess it is each person's hearing/tolerance/preference.
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
Soo on 6/26/2014(UTC)
jscraftylady Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:03:21 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
For me, or more true, for my family, the Explore is much quieter than the E and the Cameo. My E used to sit between where my computer and my DH's computer are. He was often annoyed when I was cutting and he was working on intense. When I got the Explore, it replaced the E in that same location. One night I wanted to cut but knew he was working on a deadline for a client so I asked if he thought it would bother him. He said no and I started cutting away and he was amazed at the difference.

As far as the Cameo, I don't have one. But I host a weekend crop {Circle Mania} and there were 60 crafters in the room with a variety of cutters and all the other general socializing going on. My family stopped by with some extra supplies and both my DH and DD immediately started looking around the room for the "clicking" noise. It was a Cameo that was half the room away from me. When they walked down to check it out, they both came back and said "you can never get a cutter that makes that much noise!".

The noises from the E, the Explore and that Cameo, never really bothered me. So I guess it is each person's hearing/tolerance/preference.

That is definitely true. My husband never even seemed to notice the baby bug, Expression or my Imagine, but the "singing" and clicking of the Cameo and the racket the Mini made got me banished to my own craftroom. That worked with those machines but my husband and my older son (who is very sensitive to noises) hate the Explore beeping even from the other room. My husband says the beeping is made worse by the fact that is doesn't follow any rhythm so his ears can't get used to it.BigGrin

I never really minded the sounds the other machines made, even the loud ones. I was mostly just surprised that the Explore wasn't really quiet at all.