Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

newscrapper74 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:12:49 PM(UTC)
newscrapper74

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Just wanted to know if anyone here is watching the HSN 24hr craft event? Anna Griffin just mentioned something about the Explore print and cut feature basically you would print anything from your computer and print it then cut it on the Explore. BTW I love my Explore 😊
Sherri Kay Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:12:02 AM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2408 time(s) in 2160 post(s)
This has been known since the Explore was launched. The Print and Cut feature is just not ready yet. Can't wait for it! Smile
rhondah* Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:23:27 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 15399 time(s) in 9023 post(s)
Pretty sure, towards the end of the shows, they mentioned it would be available in a couple weeks. Hope they're right!
Cricut Tamara :) Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:51:37 PM(UTC)
Cricut Tamara :)

Groups: Circle Moderator, Cricut Community Moderator, Registered

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
The Cricut Team has been hard at work developing our Print then Cut feature for Cricut Design Space. This feature will let you easily print then cut the 50,000+ images in the Cricut library in just a few clicks using your Cricut Explore. The new feature will also work with images you import for free such as jpeg’s and svg’s. Our latest plan is to release this feature in late September, consistent with our back half of 2014 target communicated previously.

We have had several dozen Product Experts from the Cricut Community including Beth Kingston, one of our HSN on-air hosts and design bloggers, trying out the Print then Cut feature as well as a couple of widely requested (by you!) design tools that are included in our next release.

We are extremely passionate about doing extensive testing on any new product or release. This commitment is part of what we call the New Cricut.

2 users thanked Cricut Tamara :) for this useful post.
scrapalette on 7/24/2014(UTC), GracefulGrammar on 7/25/2014(UTC)
PaperCraft65 Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:12:41 PM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Print & Cut is awesome! I have used it for a few years on the Cameo - it will open up a whole new avenue of fun things to make with your machines! :)

I highly recommend getting a large format printer. I can print on 12x12 paper and this is so great for Print & Cut! Start shopping! :)
Olivia'sNana Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:40:57 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 917 time(s) in 451 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cricut Tamara Go to Quoted Post
This feature will let you easily print then cut the 50,000+ images in the Cricut library in just a few clicks using your Cricut Explore. The new feature will also work with images you import for free such as jpeg’s and svg’s. Our latest plan is to release this feature in late September, consistent with our back half of 2014

What am I not getting? Why would you want or need to print then cut cricut images when you can just go straight to cut with them? I'm sure I just don't understand the concept if somebody could elaborate and turn the light bulb on for me. I could understand printing then cutting the imagine images that have design detail in the coloring but not the others.

Edited by user Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:43:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 7/24/2014(UTC)
Cricut Tamara :) Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:36:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Circle Moderator, Cricut Community Moderator, Registered

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Olivia'sNana Go to Quoted Post
What am I not getting? Why would you want or need to print then cut cricut images when you can just go straight to cut with them? I'm sure I just don't understand the concept if somebody could elaborate and turn the light bulb on for me. I could understand printing then cutting the imagine images that have design detail in the coloring but not the others.

Hello Olivia,
Print then cut will allow you to print images from Design Space straight to your printer. Once you have printed your images, Cricut Design Space will cut out your printed images :)

Olivia'sNana Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:58:07 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Hello Olivia,
Print then cut will allow you to print images from Design Space straight to your printer. Once you have printed your images, Cricut Design Space will cut out your printed images :)

maybe it will make more sense to me when we have it available. I just don't get why would you need to send a cricut image to your printer to print and then put the printed paper on your mat to cut when you can put your paper on your mat and go straight to cut. I know I am still not understanding something
CricketCMV Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:36:58 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8166 time(s) in 4788 post(s)
The Cricut Team has been hard at work developing our Print then Cut feature for Cricut Design Space. This feature will let you easily print then cut the 50,000+ images in the Cricut library in just a few clicks using your Cricut Explore. The new feature will also work with images you import for free such as jpeg’s and svg’s. Our latest plan is to release this feature in late September, consistent with our back half of 2014 target communicated previously.

We have had several dozen Product Experts from the Cricut Community including Beth Kingston, one of our HSN on-air hosts and design bloggers, trying out the Print then Cut feature as well as a couple of widely requested (by you!) design tools that are included in our next release.

We are extremely passionate about doing extensive testing on any new product or release. This commitment is part of what we call the New Cricut.

Isn't all of this what we can already do?

I thought Print then Cut was to be able to scan ANYTHING we wanted to scan on our home printers and the EXPLORE would be able to somehow cut the images we have scanned (no matter what the images are on the scanner.....I was thinking a drawing our kids did when they were in school).

I am definitely confused by now.

Isn't there more to this than what you have mentioned in this post, Cricut Tamara?

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:38:07 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

I'm not getting this, either, Olivia'sNana. I thought PRINT then CUT was a lot more than what we can already do with our EXPLORES.

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:40:04 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Hello Olivia,

This sounds like double work to me. We can already do what you're suggesting here without sending images to our printers.

I know you are probably telling it right; I'm just not getting it, either. Sorry.

Char
PaperCraft65 Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:18:04 PM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

If you have an image with a lot of layers or fine detail - it is nice to just print it and cut around it. It is a totally different concept, as opposed to the cutting and layering of different colors of paper/vinyl.

I like it for card making - you can print your card and cut it out in a shape. I use a different machine, but I am sure it will be similar. I can grab an image from some place like the Graphics Fairy, and turn it into a nifty card or gift tag.

Here are a couple things I did as print & cut. Not the greatest examples, but it what I had pictures of.

I did a My Little Pony to attach to a gift. I printed it on a 4x6 photo paper and cut out around it with a bit of a white border to set it off.

The second is a "icicle box" from some graphics that I have had forever from Raggedy Scrappin'. I could set it up in the software to make a cut line around the edges of the box. I had it put score lines along the lines that would be folded. I printed it on 12x12 paper, then put it in my machine to cut and score. Then I just lifted it off the mat and assembled it. The picture shows it before cutting/scoring - I didn't have a picture of the finished project - but hopefully you get the idea. The marks you see on the corners is how that machine recognizes where to cut. They are called registration marks. Not sure how the Explore will work, but I imagine something similar. WONDERFUL FUN!

pony

box
 3 users thanked PaperCraft65 for this useful post.
Moxy77 on 7/25/2014(UTC), CricketCMV on 7/25/2014(UTC), birkstu56 on 7/26/2014(UTC)
PaperCraft65 Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:48:43 PM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

I did a quick print and cut to show you the finished project - SO FUN - and that is why you want a larger printer. This was done on 12x12 paper. 3D projects are awesome.

You can customize things too - if I wanted to, I could add text onto the box before printing. I could put someones name on it or a greeting.

box
 1 user thanked PaperCraft65 for this useful post.
birkstu56 on 7/26/2014(UTC)
Sherri Kay Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 12:44:50 AM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2408 time(s) in 2160 post(s)
These are great examples, PaperCraft65! I use Print and Cut all the time with my Cameo and love it. Hope it works the same with my Explore!
CricketCMV Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 7:41:27 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: PaperCraft65 Go to Quoted Post
If you have an image with a lot of layers or fine detail - it is nice to just print it and cut around it. It is a totally different concept, as opposed to the cutting and layering of different colors of paper/vinyl.

I like it for card making - you can print your card and cut it out in a shape. I use a different machine, but I am sure it will be similar. I can grab an image from some place like the Graphics Fairy, and turn it into a nifty card or gift tag.

Here are a couple things I did as print & cut. Not the greatest examples, but it what I had pictures of.

I did a My Little Pony to attach to a gift. I printed it on a 4x6 photo paper and cut out around it with a bit of a white border to set it off.

The second is a "icicle box" from some graphics that I have had forever from Raggedy Scrappin'. I could set it up in the software to make a cut line around the edges of the box. I had it put score lines along the lines that would be folded. I printed it on 12x12 paper, then put it in my machine to cut and score. Then I just lifted it off the mat and assembled it. The picture shows it before cutting/scoring - I didn't have a picture of the finished project - but hopefully you get the idea. The marks you see on the corners is how that machine recognizes where to cut. They are called registration marks. Not sure how the Explore will work, but I imagine something similar. WONDERFUL FUN!

NOW, THAT IS PRETTY COOL. That's the first detailed explanation I've seen that helps me understand this more. Thanks so much PCraft!

YES, I definitely "feel" what this will do, now. I can take my cardstock and place it in my printer. THEN, I can print out whatever I want onto the cardstock from my computer (e.g., a picture of my grandson)! In placing my grandson's picture on the cardstock, I would need to KNOW FOR SURE what I was going to cut out on my EXPLORE on that cardstock so the picture shows up exactly where I want it to show up (e.g., if I wanted his picture to show up on one of the flaps on the CARD IN A BOX card, I would need to know exactly where that flap would be on my EXPLORE for the picture to show up there.....kind of not that easy to do, maybe, but I guess you would learn this as you go along)?

Now, I think I get it!! If I do, it seems very, very COOL to me!

Char

Char

Edited by user Friday, July 25, 2014 7:49:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CricketCMV Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 7:50:28 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Haha....NO, I DON'T THINK I HAVE IT!

I'm still missing exactly what this does! Oh, my!

Char
PaperCraft65 Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 7:51:48 AM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Things always make more sense to me when I can see them! LOL Glad it helped Char.

I am sure the Design Space process will be a little different, but hopefully it is as simple.

You can also design your item to be printed in Photoshop or something else that is a little more designer friendly and then just bring it in to be cut.

I don't have a large collection of nifty papers, so I like to use digital papers. I can fill a shape with whatever design I want and then print & cut it. That way if I want something done in purple chevron, but I only need a little bit - I don't have to try and find that kind of paper. I just print my shape filled with that digital paper.

CricketCMV on 7/25/2014(UTC)
Olivia'sNana Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 8:42:38 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

It does make sense for what papercraft65 is doing but I still don't see what you gain by sending a cricut image to your printer first only to send it back through explore to cut.

I'm visualizing that all you're printing is an outline of an image that is going to cut out, now with the outline probably showing if not calibrated exactly - maybe not. Doesn't matter probably to me because I won't be buying a printer for my craftroom and won't move my office work printer to my craftroom.

I'll just watch what ya'll do with it when it becomes available. I know that I am just not getting it and it may be because I just don't do more advanced designing beyond scrapbooking and have never tried using svg files.

Maybe someday when I have time to piddle.

Edited by user Friday, July 25, 2014 8:43:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
CricketCMV Offline
#19 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 9:00:36 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

It does make sense for what papercraft65 is doing but I still don't see what you gain by sending a cricut image to your printer first only to send it back through explore to cut.

I'm visualizing that all you're printing is an outline of an image that is going to cut out, now with the outline probably showing if not calibrated exactly - maybe not. Doesn't matter probably to me because I won't be buying a printer for my craftroom and won't move my office work printer to my craftroom.

I'll just watch what ya'll do with it when it becomes available. I know that I am just not getting it and it may be because I just don't do more advanced designing beyond scrapbooking and have never tried using svg files.

Maybe someday when I have time to piddle.

I think it's just so you can take that CRICUT image you LOVE and send it to your computer first to work with in PHOTOSHOP or some other program where you can design around your CRICUT image the final image you want to have around that CRICUT image (like a box shape); then you use the printer to get a copy of the whole image you have created in the program. Once you have that copy, you SCAN it so that the EXPLORE will work with your printer and know exactly where to cut (the outline of your whole image you have created around your CRICUT image? It does sound very convoluted and I know I don't have it exactly right, but I'm trying.

Hope I didn't confuse you more; and, I know you weren't asking for comment.....JUST THINKING OUT LOUD TO MYSELF AND LETTING YOU ALL HEAR ME! LOL.

Can anyone explain this a little more; maybe Olivia'sNana just wants to wait and SEE what others do; I'm not that patient!

Char

Edited by user Friday, July 25, 2014 9:02:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Soo Offline
#20 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 10:09:28 AM(UTC)
Soo

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 143 post(s)
I'll try to explain (this is how it works on other machines - as I don't know exactly what ProvoCraft will deliver there may be variances):

Let's say you find an image of a lovely flower that you would like to replicate 100 times (in many sizes) and cut it out to decoupage onto a frame.

1) you would load the image into design space and create a cutting file for it
2) from within design space you would lay out the 100 flowers (including the actual flower detail from the image) and print off the 100 flowers. The print out would include 'print registration marks'
3) you would then place the printed images on the mat and select 'cut'
4) the Explore would use the print registration marks (to ensure it cuts where the flowers are) and the cut file you created in step 1 to cut out the flowers.

Hope that helps a bit.

Soo Offline
#21 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 10:17:13 AM(UTC)
Soo

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 143 post(s)
Here's an example from me:

This is a photo of my parents that I printed and cut (using another machine). I could have printed and cut hundreds of them!

1 user thanked Soo for this useful post.
PattiBlankenship Offline
#22 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 10:44:09 AM(UTC)
PattiBlankenship

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 45 post(s)
What I am hoping for most is to be able to cut around stamped images so I don't have to fussy cut them. I really hope this will be possible when the new feature appears. Does anyone know if this will be possible and how it can be accomplished. I wonder if I will need to take a photo of the stamped image and import it as a jpg or scan the image. I'm sure it will be clear when we can finally do it, but it's fun to think about in the meantime. I'm not a big fan of fussy cutting, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have been considering the Scan N Cut but am waiting to see if it won't be necessary after the update. I could use that money to purchase a 12" printer.BigGrin
 1 user thanked PattiBlankenship for this useful post.
GracefulGrammar Offline
#23 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 10:57:03 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1928 time(s) in 922 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PattiBlankenship Go to Quoted Post
What I am hoping for most is to be able to cut around stamped images so I don't have to fussy cut them. I really hope this will be possible when the new feature appears. Does anyone know if this will be possible and how it can be accomplished. I wonder if I will need to take a photo of the stamped image and import it as a jpg or scan the image. I'm sure it will be clear when we can finally do it, but it's fun to think about in the meantime. I'm not a big fan of fussy cutting, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have been considering the Scan N Cut but am waiting to see if it won't be necessary after the update. I could use that money to purchase a 12" printer.BigGrin

I bought the ScanNCut for fussy cutting my stamps...... but it is very doable with the right software options and hardware. Watch this video by Clever Someday. Kay is a member of this message board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo38Hx7BjaE

The ball is in PC's court as to what features will be included in the Cricut version of Scan and Cut. You will need a scanner and a printer. Remember printers aren't scanners and scanners aren't printers. You will need both a scanner and a printer. I wouldn't purchase a 12 inch printer if you have a letter size printer you are happy with..... the PnC software should be able to work with 8.5 x 11.

Another video if you have the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPL4mIV51Wc

Edited by user Friday, July 25, 2014 10:58:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
PaperCraft65 Offline
#24 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 3:40:27 PM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Quote:
the PnC software should be able to work with 8.5 x 11.

No doubt that it will work GREAT with 8.5x11. The only problem is that you lose some of that area for registration marks (unless PC has come up with a whole new way of finding the printed image on the paper) So after you take off an inch or more from the sides, you don't have a ton of space for some of the bigger 3D type of printed projects.

A large format printer would not be necessary at all - but once you have one - you will love it! :)

Quote:
The ball is in PC's court as to what features will be included in the Cricut version of Scan and Cut. You will need a scanner and a printer. Remember printers aren't scanners and scanners aren't printers. You will need both a scanner and a printer.

Unless I am way off base - I don't think Explore is really a "scan and cut" concept like the Brother machine. You would not need a scanner unless you are planning on scanning your stamped image and then fussy cutting it with the Explore. And then it would only be so that you could have the image - not scanning it to recognize where it is on the page to cut.

Edited by user Friday, July 25, 2014 3:44:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GracefulGrammar Offline
#25 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 4:20:21 PM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1928 time(s) in 922 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PaperCraft65 Go to Quoted Post
No doubt that it will work GREAT with 8.5x11. The only problem is that you lose some of that area for registration marks (unless PC has come up with a whole new way of finding the printed image on the paper) So after you take off an inch or more from the sides, you don't have a ton of space for some of the bigger 3D type of printed projects.

A large format printer would not be necessary at all - but once you have one - you will love it! :)

Unless I am way off base - I don't think Explore is really a "scan and cut" concept like the Brother machine. You would not need a scanner unless you are planning on scanning your stamped image and then fussy cutting it with the Explore. And then it would only be so that you could have the image - not scanning it to recognize where it is on the page to cut.

There is no loss with my other cutters........ I set the prefs to letter and the software knows the area set for registration marks..... Yes, letter size will naturally reduce the size that can be cut. I have a large format printer, rarely used, because the ink is so expensive....... I would suggest people wait to try PnC before buying another expensive piece of equipment. No one knows what PC's version will look like until it goes public. Many users here are not even sure what PnC is. I would think it's better to wait until they see if they have a need for it and a 12 x 12 size.

The explore doesn't have a built in scanner........ so it can't be compared with the ScanNCut....... If you watch this video you will see the stamped image is scanned and why........ basically for sizing and offset accuracy. Kay does an excellent job explaining the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo38Hx7BjaE

Edited by user Friday, July 25, 2014 4:21:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
Moxy77 on 7/25/2014(UTC), CricketCMV on 7/25/2014(UTC), scrapalette on 7/26/2014(UTC)
Nolu Offline
#26 Posted : Saturday, July 26, 2014 3:55:25 AM(UTC)
Nolu

United States

Was thanked: 436 time(s) in 371 post(s)
I don't know what the explore will be, but I have the Portrait and don't have to scan an image. I just open any image in the Portrait and send it to the printer to print, then to the Portrait to cut.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that before you send it to the cutter you have to trace it and that is very very simple.
If the explore is the same way I will finally buy it.

Edited by user Saturday, July 26, 2014 4:08:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Nolu for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 7/26/2014(UTC)
DebbiePerez1 Offline
#27 Posted : Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:23:14 AM(UTC)
DebbiePerez1

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The Print and Cut Feature will be similar to the Imagine. That is what it does. It prints then cuts. The only difference is it is limited to the cartridges you buy and does it all on the same mat. I have the Imagine and it works great but am looking forward to having more images available on the Explore.
 1 user thanked DebbiePerez1 for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 7/26/2014(UTC)