Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

tmboring97644ee0 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 8:15:49 AM(UTC)
tmboring97644ee0

Groups: Registered

Does anyone know of a cartridge, or how to make a stencil using the negative? I know you would need an "open" letter so the centers stay in on letters like, a,e,o,p...etc, I am very new to the cricut, but already love it! Just need stencils for my wood craft projects, for sayings. Any help would be great! Thanks, Teri BigGrin
joyfullycrafting Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 8:29:41 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1488 time(s) in 1185 post(s)
I used contact paper for my stencil material. And yes, you use the negative. If there is an "inside" of a letter, just stick it where it needs to be.

It the same concept as glass etching.

So that being said, any cartridge you own can be used as a stencil.

Rather than a stencil, you could also cut vinyl letters and words and stick them on your projects! Vinyl is SO EASY to cut. Little fine details cut wonderfully.
 2 users thanked joyfullycrafting for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 11/17/2012(UTC), tmboring97644ee0 on 11/17/2012(UTC)
GayleWheaton1 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:53:39 PM(UTC)
GayleWheaton1

United States

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 41 post(s)
BigGrin Welcome to Cricut Fun!!
I'm not sure if I understand completely - you can use vinyl like suggested above - but there is another way to make a paper stencil, too (other than purchasing the Stencil cart!)....
The Plantin Schoolbook cart has a Creative Feature called 'End Caps' - it's designed to make tags using negative letters. It will normally cut with a line above & below the letter [so that the tag cuts out], but if you have CCR, Gypsy, or Design Studio, you hide (i.e. not cut) the lines and therefore get just the letters.
Thought I'd offer that option in case you'd be doing multiples of your project & just wanted to spray paint, etc.BigGrin
CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:35:10 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8174 time(s) in 4793 post(s)
And, when I do stenciling, I go a cheaper route than vinyl....I love using my contact paper (the kind one uses in the kitchen and has adhesive on it). I simply LOVE working with that.

Char
bob.marade07aea Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 8:27:02 PM(UTC)
bob.marade07aea

Originally Posted by: GayleWheaton1 Go to Quoted Post
BigGrin Welcome to Cricut Fun!!
I'm not sure if I understand completely - you can use vinyl like suggested above - but there is another way to make a paper stencil, too (other than purchasing the Stencil cart!)....
The Plantin Schoolbook cart has a Creative Feature called 'End Caps' - it's designed to make tags using negative letters. It will normally cut with a line above & below the letter [so that the tag cuts out], but if you have CCR, Gypsy, or Design Studio, you hide (i.e. not cut) the lines and therefore get just the letters.
Thought I'd offer that option in case you'd be doing multiples of your project & just wanted to spray paint, etc.BigGrin

How do you hide the lines?

Soo Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:33:16 AM(UTC)
Soo

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 143 post(s)
I use vinyl to make my stencils/masks if I'm doing words. I cut the vinyl, weed out all the bits I don't need and then use transfer tape to transfer the vinyl letters in one piece to whatever I'm painting.

the vinly being weededthe vinyl transferred onto the frame I'm paintingpaint and stamp over the letters

then carefully remove the vinyl (I use a sharp pair of tweezers) and you're done!

... and because I'm on a roll here are a couple of other projects...