Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

magenta Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 8:47:26 PM(UTC)
magenta

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 703 time(s) in 506 post(s)
Our Admin Becky posted this in one or our forums. I thought it might be helpful to anyone new to Cuttlebugs:

Q. What comes with my Machine?
The machine, 1 A Spacer plate (either a thick white plate, or a thick green plate), 2 B cutting plates, 1 Thin die C plate, User Manual, a handle, Hex key tool, screw, and a plastic cap.
*Some machines will come with a package of: 4 designer embossing folders (2" x 2.75") and one coordinating Postage Stamp shape die (2" x 2")!

(just a note from magenta: I heard some Cuttlebugs don't come with the C plate. Mine came with one but my friend's didn't. I got mine from HSN and she got hers from Amazon.)

Q. My stack doesn't seem to fit into the machine? I don't want to break it so what should I do.
Things to check:
• Make sure that your embossing folder or cutting die is in the middle of the plates and not right up at the front. This will help pull it into the machine better.
• Make sure that you have the correct stack for the product that you are using.
*Please refer to the stack matrix sheet if you have any questions
• Some other brands of dies are made a little too think to be able to fit into our machines so please be careful when using other brands and use only those that we have information for.

Q. My stack seems to just slide right through and doesn't emboss at all.
Things to check:
• Make sure that you have the correct stack for the product that you are using. Typically with Provo Craft dies and embossing folders the stack with be (from top to bottom):
B plate
Embossing folder with paper or other media inside
B plate
A plate (either a thick white plate, or a thick green plate)

• The stack matrix for the Provo Craft cutting dies are (from top to bottom):

B plate
Paper or media
Cutting die (foam side up)
B plate
A plate (either a thick white plate, or a thick green plate)

• Other brand cutting dies or embossing folders might have different stacks so please check the stack matrix to see what we recommend for other products.
* Stack matrix can be found at this link: www.cricut.com/shop/#1/3...67/3/Cuttlebug/Cuttlebug Machine
• Depending on the product you may need to use "shims" to add thickness to the stack.
*Shims are cardboard cut to fit inside the cuttlebug or to the desired size or added sheets of cardstock on the outside of the embossing folder or the metal side of the die.

Q. I just rolled a die through and there are prints in my plate now, is that normal?
Yes that is normal. In order for the die cut to cut through the paper or other media, it will make an impression on the plate.
*TIP: to help your plates to last longer it helps to use both sides of the plate. It also helps to put dies in different locations as well so it doesn't always imprint in one area.

Q. I have rolled a few embossing dies through and now my B plate looks a little warped, will this affect how my machine works?
No it will still emboss and cut fine, but it does help to flip the plates over about every 20 rolls to make sure that the plate gets even ware.

Q. There is a lot of cracking noise when I run a stack through, is this the plates cracking?
No, with the cutting dies and the embossing plus folders there will be cracking noises because it is the process of the die cutting images out of the paper or other media. If the plate is new (or has done very few cuts) and does crack please contact Customer Support for a replacement plate.

Q. What other products or media can you use with the Cuttlebug?

We suggest that you stick with paper. However, other customers have embossed with quite a bit of success: tin foil and very thin metals (VERY THIN). *Please note that if you do try these materials and it does break your machine the warranty has been voided and the machine cannot be replaced.
If you do try any other products please do not try anything thicker that 1/8 of an inch.

Q. How do I use the Embossing Plus folders?

It is the same idea as the embossing folders. You still put the paper or other media inside the folder and then use the same stack as mentioned above (from top to bottom): B, Folder, B, A.

Tip: place the folder towards the back of the plates, not so it is off, but back as far as possible. (The 6x13 spacer pads do work better for these folders)

Q. My paper ripped when I was taking it out of the embossing folder.

With thin designed paper you do have to be careful of the designs that you use. If it is a very detailed and busy design then it might stretch the paper too much and cause some ripping. With those designs it is best to use thicker cardstock type paper for best results.

(Some examples of busy designs or detailed embossing folders are: the embossing plus folders, seeing spots (2000218), spider web (37-1902), Candy Cane Stripe (37-1929), Moroccan Screen (37-1909)… and so on)

Q. There is a ridge on the edge of the paper where the folder stopped, is there a way to get rid of this line?

So far the only way we have found is to use thinner papers. Cardstock is thicker and will cause some lines to appear around the outside.

Q. The folder isn't long enough for the design I want, is there a way to make it longer?

You can turn the embossing folder around and emboss from the other side if the design permits. Or you can turn it sideways and slide it along the side of the page if your paper isn't too long to fit through the Cuttlebug opening.

Tip: For a different look you can try rubbing sandpaper along the tops of the design to get a distressed look. You can also use ink and color certain parts of the embossing folders to add different colors to your design as well. Be careful not to smear the paper when placing it on the folder though.

2 users thanked magenta for this useful post.
Linda Ajello on 9/27/2010(UTC), ThisisJulz on 9/27/2010(UTC)
DebbieBarnett1 Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 10:40:39 AM(UTC)
DebbieBarnett1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 70 post(s)
Thank you very much for reposting this for all of us.