Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Polarbearla Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:16:51 PM(UTC)
Polarbearla

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 45 post(s)
This may sound strange, but I have such a hard time including patterned paper with my scrapbook layouts. It just distracts from the picture. Anyone else have this issue? If not, how do you use pattern paper and incorporate it with your crafts. I even see some people put 2-3 different patters on one project and I have no idea how you do that. Maybe some people just have a natural eye for that.

I guess with my scrapbook pages I like to have a plain colored background and than I love to add Cricut cuts and now I am starting to play around with other embellishments. I just find the patterned paper to be really distracting on the scrapbook pages and take away from the pictures. I also think I am just bad at trying to use patterned paper with my layouts. I love, love, love the DCWV paper, I have about 7 pads!!Flapper LOL
 1 user thanked Polarbearla for this useful post.
DeborahCar on 9/26/2010(UTC)
scrapbug Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:28:04 PM(UTC)
scrapbug

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I have trouble to at times with pattern paper. I buy it but then seem to never use it LOL.
scrappylove Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:32:06 PM(UTC)
scrappylove

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 94 post(s)
I use it in small amounts- it's like dressing with patterns, sometimes a little is all you need to accessorize.
scraphappysteph Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:35:52 PM(UTC)
scraphappysteph

Was thanked: 433 time(s) in 325 post(s)
I have TONS of patterns packs and I never seem to use them because I feel it makes them so busy. When I see what others have done I am amazed at the great jobs using patterns.
GARDENGYPSY Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:36:20 PM(UTC)
GARDENGYPSY

Was thanked: 1694 time(s) in 956 post(s)
I do recall at first I struggled a bit. That was then and this is now. I use patterned paper all the time. I do prefer smaller prints typically. I kinda think sometimes that they appear like embellishments. Perhaps until you feel more comfortable..limit the patterned paper to the border or corners and such. If you would like to give it a try and unsure...keep your eyes open and check the layouts areas here on this board. If you prefer layouts with less pattern then keep on what you are doing. There is no right or wrong. The end point that the pictures are in books and labeled for everyone to enjoy for years to come.

Michelle
Scrapper106 Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:49:37 PM(UTC)
Scrapper106

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've always had a difficult time with patterned paper. I love it and I seem to collect it- lots of it, but I do find it hard to use on my pages. I'm just not good at figuring out what goes with what.

When I see others using patterns in their cards and layouts, they always look sooooo beautiful! Maybe I should have a "mini" goal to start incorporating it into my stuff.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:51:22 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1483 time(s) in 1180 post(s)
I feel your delima. I am the same way. Gobs of patterned paper, but I always seem to head back to solid. And sometimes, I think I mat every picture that I scrap.
GreatNanny Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:50:38 PM(UTC)
GreatNanny

Was thanked: 224 time(s) in 183 post(s)
I most always use patterned paper; I love it on my layouts. Here's one I did using a patterned sheet. I used LAB for the lighthouse and seagulls and My Community for the footprints
GreatNanny attached the following image(s):
Footprints [640x480].jpg
 2 users thanked GreatNanny for this useful post.
DeborahCar on 9/26/2010(UTC), JojoMedley on 9/26/2010(UTC)
CathyinMN Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:24:29 PM(UTC)
CathyinMN

Was thanked: 395 time(s) in 349 post(s)
Put me in the category of having patterned paper but not using it much on scrapbook pages. I love the paper, but I have a hard time incorporating it into my LOs.
DeborahCar Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:32:20 PM(UTC)
DeborahCar

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I see you like the DCWV pads. I do too. Check out the projects on their website. They have projects posted using the different paper packs. I hope that helps.

I also like to use solid cardstock for the backgroup. I will cut 1" patterened strips for accents to break up a layout. You can also cut tags from the patterned paper and use them as a hidded or regular journal element.

Cut flowers from patterned paper and layer. Patterned flowers are wonderful accents.
 1 user thanked DeborahCar for this useful post.
Penguin Collector on 9/27/2010(UTC)
Polarbearla Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:24:39 PM(UTC)
Polarbearla

I am so glad I am not alone!BigGrin

Thanks for the tips Deborah!

That is a great LO Joyce!!

I think it's a great idea to gradually add in some patterned paper. I wonder if there are some blogs or sites online with tips on using patterned paper.
cyimbugbitten Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 8:26:42 PM(UTC)
cyimbugbitten

United States

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Do you know anyone who uses CTMH? They sell books by Jeanette R. Lynton for scrapping and card making. I know this was brought up on the old mb, but it was a while ago and there are many who've joined since, so I think it bears repeating. I've purchased these books, find them very helpful, and would highly recommend them to anyone. (I do not nor have I ever sold CTMH...just a very satisfied customer.) They have some for scrapbook lo's and some for cards. My fav is titled "Cherish - scrapbook layouts made beautifully simple". The others for scrapbooking are "Imagine - fun, fabulous layouts for every scrapbooker", and "Reflectionscrapbook program". They have layouts pictured with dimensions and cutting diagrams as well as step by step instructions. Using these, I can choose a layout I like, pick out my papers and things are so easy. It's all figured out for you. If you copy and paste this link into your browser, you can check them out at amazon.com. I hope this helps someone out there... Wink

http://www.amazon.com/Ch...1285557179&sr=1-3#_s -

Carol
cricutgrammy Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 8:31:33 PM(UTC)
cricutgrammy

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 203 time(s) in 110 post(s)
It's all a matter of personal taste..I love pattern paper and use it all the time. Like someone said there is no right or wrong way....whatever makes YOU happy thats what you should do. I am sure your layouts are beautiful!
SheriS Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:42:46 PM(UTC)
SheriS

I've been using my patterned paper more and more these days. But not in the conventional way. I'm stamping on it. I'm cutting it with my E. For instance, instead of using a plain orange paper for a pumpkin face, I'm using a patterned orange paper. I got the idea from a friend and I love the extra kick it's giving my pieced projects. When it's not so late I'll take a photo of something I've done and post it here for you to see. Give it a try.
Tine Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 4:06:53 AM(UTC)
Tine

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 67 post(s)
I also used to have the hardest time using pattern papers on layouts. I had no problems using it on cards. For the past year or so I've been forcing myself to use it more an more on layouts and now I use it all the time. In face when I start a layout I automatically go to my patterned paper for the background:)
♥Lynnette♥ Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 6:44:20 AM(UTC)
♥Lynnette♥

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 16 post(s)
cyimbugbitten wrote:
Do you know anyone who uses CTMH? They sell books by Jeanette R. Lynton for scrapping and card making. I know this was brought up on the old mb, but it was a while ago and there are many who've joined since, so I think it bears repeating. I've purchased these books, find them very helpful, and would highly recommend them to anyone. (I do not nor have I ever sold CTMH...just a very satisfied customer.) They have some for scrapbook lo's and some for cards. My fav is titled "Cherish - scrapbook layouts made beautifully simple". The others for scrapbooking are "Imagine - fun, fabulous layouts for every scrapbooker", and "Reflectionscrapbook program". They have layouts pictured with dimensions and cutting diagrams as well as step by step instructions. Using these, I can choose a layout I like, pick out my papers and things are so easy. It's all figured out for you. If you copy and paste this link into your browser, you can check them out at amazon.com. I hope this helps someone out there... Wink

http://www.amazon.com/Ch...1285557179&sr=1-3#_s -

Carol

I, too, have CTMH's books and it REALLY helps with the patterned papers.
AcidFree Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 10:20:42 AM(UTC)
AcidFree

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I had this issue as well, and it did help to start small. Use pattern paper for tags, or a background to a plain paper journal box. Or, do the 1/2 and 1/2 trick, LOVE this one! Take a solid sheet. Cut a patterned piece in 1/2, attach to the bottom of the solid sheet. Where the cut it, cover with some pretty ribbon or a strip of cardstock. Best of both worlds! Cool
TraceyAndriulaitis Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 10:39:01 AM(UTC)
TraceyAndriulaitis

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Try to use it as a border or embellishment at first,as someone else also suggested. I like to cut in 1/2, so 6x12 and then you have 1/2 pattern and 1/2 solid cardstock. The other key thing I've found when using patterned paper as the entire background is to mount your photos on solid colored stock and Keep it simple. Just a few suggestions. Hope they help and remember it's about what appeals to your eye. I'm sure your pages are beautiful.
momto2 Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 10:41:26 AM(UTC)
momto2

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Working with patterned paper is hard and takes some getting used to. Here are some tricks I use when working with patterned papers.

First, start with small patterns first until you get used to working with them. Larger patterns can be overwhelming.

Remember, you can use the large patterns like die cuts. Don't be afraid to cut things out.

If you are using a patterned paper as your base, mat your picture on a neutral like black or white to visually separate it from the pattern. Creates more contrast. I also do this when I cut a title from a pattern. I may shadow my title in black or white, to create good contrast on the title if using patterned papers.

Hope that helps.
Penguin Collector Offline
#20 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 2:14:18 PM(UTC)
Penguin Collector

United States

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 147 post(s)
DeborahCar wrote:
I see you like the DCWV pads. I do too. Check out the projects on their website. They have projects posted using the different paper packs. I hope that helps.

I also like to use solid cardstock for the backgroup. I will cut 1" patterened strips for accents to break up a layout. You can also cut tags from the patterned paper and use them as a hidded or regular journal element.

Cut flowers from patterned paper and layer. Patterned flowers are wonderful accents.

I went to the DCWV website. I enjoyed it--thanks for the suggestion!
Polarbearla Offline
#21 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 3:05:41 PM(UTC)
Polarbearla

You guys have ALL been so helpful with advice and encouragement. Each of you have said great things and given me some great ideas and also some great encouragement to enjoy and appreciate what I am already doing!

Thanks a bunch!BigGrin
PeaceLoveMommy Offline
#22 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 3:15:51 PM(UTC)
PeaceLoveMommy

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have an issue with Covering up the pretty paper designs. Like the DCWV Once Upon A Time Stack. Had it since Christmas, haven't used a piece of it yet.
It's challenging sometimes for sure