Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

HollyCorbett Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 5:00:18 PM(UTC)
HollyCorbett

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have been checking out youtube.com..

just wondering how most of you learn?
 1 user thanked HollyCorbett for this useful post.
LoveToCrop! on 10/7/2010(UTC)
St.Kittsscrapper Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 7:11:14 PM(UTC)
St.Kittsscrapper

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Saint Kitts And Nevis

Was thanked: 1412 time(s) in 909 post(s)
Check out scrappers blogs
TSCHAE Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 8:12:18 PM(UTC)
TSCHAE

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I first learned by attending a card / stamping class at my LSS. I purchased my first stamps and inks...and made Christmas cards that year....I was already scrapbooking by then...so, naturally my supplies started to increase (about 14 years ago....)....most of my techniques were self-taught from "how to" books and magazines....but, to be honest, when a friend invited me to her card workshop/open house (SU)...I found it much easier learning from her, and joined a monthly card "hostess" group. I suspect other stamping companies (Close to My Heart) have demos who have hostess clubs as well...I could have kept "self-teaching"...but...this was so much easier! LOL!

There are so so so many blogs these days with tutorials too...and I suspect, most technique questions could be answered here on the board! I personally get my ideas and inspiration from places like Childrens books (colors, themes) and fabrics (patterns)....I've never joined in on a challenge, but I might start...something fun...the Circle Blog sort of got me thinking....

Trudi
ScrapHappyNat Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 7:19:27 AM(UTC)
ScrapHappyNat

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
For me, I'd never made a card before I went to a card class being taught by a Stampin' Up demo.

I loved it -- and started looking online (splitcoaststampers is a wonderful site with lots of great ideas).

Eventually I got into scrapbooking, and still LOVE making cards.

I also signed up to be a Close to My Heart demonstrator -- so now I teach classes, and have various clubs ... and its soo much fun :) I learn as much from my customers as they do from me I'm sure :)

Look around your local area for classes (LSS, Stampin' up, CTMH etc)... you'd be surprised where you'll meet people with the same hobby in common :)

Snowmanlover Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 1:21:09 PM(UTC)
Snowmanlover

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 111 post(s)
I just taught myself. I was a big scrap booker and a CM consultant for 10 years but never did cards.
I got my Expression 2.5 years ago and right away started making cards. I just taught myself I guess.
I loved looking at others in the Card Section and found card making with the Cricut was so much fun and easy too. Less thinking than scrapbooking.

I then got turned onto Stampin' Up and fell in love with how everything matches, the paper and ribbon,etc. I decided to sign up as a demonstrator. I had never stamped before so had to learn! I found a lot of techniques on Splitcoast stampers. I then decided to hold in home workhops and the rest is history! The main thing I love about Stampin' Up is still all the paper and ribbons and all the matchy match. I can use it all with the Cricut!!

One of my tips is lots of layers of papers. I love lots of layers of sheets and blankets on my bed, not to keep warm but to make my bed look all dressed up! I try to carry that over to my cards and "dress" them up. Extra embellishments are always fun too!

Have fun with your cards!
patv Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:11:15 PM(UTC)
patv

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I started with a bunch of friends. We each took turns hosting a craft day. One of my friends hosted a card making day (she sold CM)
and I was hooked. I have experimented on my own, I joined a SU group for a year and tried a couple of classes at local stores. I love coming to this board as well as Split Coast Stampers for inspiration.
I started taking pictures of all my cards that I make. Since January I've made over 200 cards from 50 different ideas. Some I only made one of, some I made muliples of for Cards for Canadian Soldiers, for a card exchange group and some for family and friends.
I just try ideas. Sometimes they work well and sometimes they don't, but I have fun just doing.BigGrin
SuzyMoran Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:29:26 PM(UTC)
SuzyMoran

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I picked up a book and a couple of magazines and taught myself. I like making cards and sometimes it can take me hours to make up my mind on the layout and design. There isn't a right or wrong way of making them it is totally up to you and what you like - to me that is the best part.

Great art in small packages ThumpUp
DeeScraps Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:26:42 AM(UTC)
DeeScraps

Was thanked: 751 time(s) in 582 post(s)
You can also find some great ideas and tutorials for making different kinds of cards on You Tube. What I also like to do is look at the cards online and figure out what it is about the cards that I like. That will give me a better idea of how to use my supplies in a way to achieve the look I want.

Card classes are also great, plus card magazines. Check your local library to see if they have ones you can checkout. Most of it is really learning by doing and making mistakes.

Dee
LoveToCrop! Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 10:40:31 AM(UTC)
LoveToCrop!

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I remember being very little when I made my first card... My mom used to require that I write a thank you note for every gift I ever received (what a great habit!)... And so my love of cards started very young when I started collecting all sorts of paper and cards to send in thanks...

My older sister would create fantastic scrapbooks way back in the days of (gasp!) magnetic albums and I would spend hours looking at how she had added paper and stickers and lettering... And I would then take those ideas to make my own cards from my collection of goodies!!

After attending a Stampin Up! demo some 10ish years ago, I was quickly hooked on making cards again... Since then, it's my biggest obsession! I say I'm a scrapbooker, but I make WAY more cards every year than the pages I complete (sigh)!

I have been so blessed by having been given a talent for card-making, but I love to browse through magazines and blogs for tips, ideas, and techniques... As well as inspiration!!

Happy card making!!

Hugs,
Amy :)
scrapbookingwithamy (at) gmail (dot) com
www.lovetocrop.com

Edited by user Thursday, October 07, 2010 10:42:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MaureenH Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 2:16:01 PM(UTC)
MaureenH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
scrap blogs, u tubed,
get alot of inspiration from this MB
Di&Co Online
#11 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 6:51:37 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 21883 time(s) in 5382 post(s)
When I want to make a special card, I go to split coast stampers website. When I check these boards, I find something I like, I print it out. I love Youtube also. I also print out card maps from the web. Not a big cardmaker here. I prefer to scrapbook. But I do have nice cards ready to go when I need them.
PaperKrafter4Life Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 8:10:34 AM(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life

United States

Was thanked: 202 time(s) in 152 post(s)
check out www.mypinkstamper.com and www.cardztv.blogspot.com great ideas on both sights, my go to places for ideas. Been making cards since 1981........love it and they are treasured by the reciever, because YOU took the time to MAKE it for them. go for it...!!!
angiegypsy Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 8:42:37 AM(UTC)
angiegypsy

Was thanked: 185 time(s) in 161 post(s)
I just taught myself by playing with stamps and paper. I don't like to follow directions so instructors usually don't like to have me in a class. I just can't follow their exact design.