Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Chuck Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:54:17 PM(UTC)
Chuck

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I watched a youtube video for making a christmas card, and on the Winter Woodland cartridge, she used the word Joy, on page 78. I have no idea how to cut out that word. Can anybody help me? It has to be something simple I'm overlooking (and yes, I'm a novice at this). Thanks
Doxieluv01 Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:58:48 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2262 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
i don't have the book in front of me but click the second function key on the second line (i believe it's the cart key) Joy is on the last row (4th key from the right corner).

HTH
 1 user thanked Doxieluv01 for this useful post.
Chuck on 11/4/2010(UTC)
Chuck Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:04:53 PM(UTC)
Chuck

Thanks Doxieluv - there's no way in heck I EVER would have found that without your help. I was actually looking for the word JOY on the layover template. It was the "card" button that I pushed. How in the world are you supposed to determine that from the book that came with the cartridge? Why is it so difficult for me? Is there something easy you can advise? Thanks again.
Chuck Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:20:46 PM(UTC)
Chuck

Aha !!!!!!!! I just figured it out. If you go into Design Studio and click on the card feature, you can see where to find all the stuff. So that will be easier in the future. How does anybody survive without Design Studio? There's no way that could have been figured out without having Design Studio, IMHO. Thanks though.
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:21:02 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 800 time(s) in 450 post(s)
Chuck, YOU ARE NOT STUPID!!!! Never, never say that again. Just because someone hasn't taught you how doesn't make you stupid, and never will. I have a negative thoughts journal I got from my therapist I will send you.

Okay, back to "joy" on page 78. This is how all carts work, so this is a godd little lesson for a beginner.

1. You've found the page. In the colored box on the left is a large image with a <name> under it. My page 78 says <3dBldg4> and it looks like a long box with stuff sticking up and a few strategically placed holes. Are we on the same page?

2. If you look at the BLACK lettering under "joy", it says "Card" (really tiny letters). Keeping your thumb (or other page marker, post it, envelope, whatever is handy) in between pages 78 & 79, turn back to the front of your book to page 6. Yes, all the way back to 6. It says, "the top three pairs of keys (on your rubbery keypad layover) are reserved for the Creative Features ..." and there is a red circle on the picture of the keypad thingy. My old eyes can't read them, but if you look in the next paragraph, the bolded words say, "Layers, Shadow/Blackout, Tag, Card, Font, and Font Shadow." Here's where that tiny black "cards" comes in.

3. find the key on the upper right out of the 6 circled that says, "Card". Press it and it will turn green and stay green until you press it again or clear the keypad.

4. Now flip back to page 78 and look on the bottom row of the rubbery keypad thingy for the same image you see right above <3dBldg4>. According to my calculations, it is Row 4 Column 8. I just confirmed this by looking at page 116 which shows the images available using the "Card" feature, which you just turned green. DON'T LOSE PAGE 78!

5. How tall do you want "joy" to be? I'd start at 1.5 or 2, it's a small word. Set your size dial. Your "Card" key should remain green. This is important.

6. Remember we found <3dBldg4> in Row 5, column 8? Press that key. Just trust me on this now.

7. If "Card" is not still green, press it again to turn it green.

8. Load your mat with paper on it, pressing the "Load Mat" key (bottom row, 2nd column from right - or 2nd column on the right, just so there's only one key between it and the end of the keypad thingy.) Load mat is always in the same place.

9. Once your mat with paper is in the cutter, press "cut" - the center of the big round button with the directional arrows around it. Not the arrows, the CENTER.

10. Answer me back and tell me if you cut "joy" or something else. I am assuming that you have the Winter Woodlands Cart plugged in to your bug. And only change carts with the power off. If you leave the power on and change carts, called "hot swapping", bad things can happen to your bug and your carts.

Okay, Doxieluv got you started, but the instructions above tell you why you did what you did.
Mema Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 5:08:15 PM(UTC)
Mema

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Don't EVER feel stupid Chuck! I'll tell you about stupid: so I have all the toys, cricut, expression,CDS, Imagine, gypsy (you get the idea). So, I have been so nervous about doing updates that I finally went to do the latest updates for the I and gypsy and was getting so upset thinking (key word here, thinking) that I did it wrong) that I finally called PC. He walked me through the basics and sure enough I had downloaded everything correctly 2 days ago!!! connected I and Gypsy, chose my shape to cut and voila, everything worked beautifully. I spent all this time thinking I didn't install right and it was there all along. Now that's stupid, lol.
Doxieluv01 Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 5:25:31 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

don't feel stupid at all Chuck. Trust me we all have been there before. And yep I do everything in DS and my gypsy. LOL
Chuck Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:50:41 PM(UTC)
Chuck

Thank you all very much for your comments. OK - I don't feel stupid anymore, just ignorant because I've never done this before. I guess that's better? Anyhow - here is my next question ...... in watching that youtube video, it says the card size is 4-1/4 x 5-1/2. If the card is folded in half, would the actual measurements be 8-1/2 x 11? That doesn't make sense to me either. Thanks Confused
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:12:52 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

You're getting there, Chuck. The learning curve is steep and you're headed straight for the top.

They are talking about the finished, folded card - front and inside panels 4.25 x 5.5".

An A2 card, which is what you are talking about, fits into a 4.375 x 5.625" envie and finishes 4.25 x 5.5", which is half an 8.5 x 11" sheet. Yes, you can use paper and fold it twice, that's how card software started with this card size, but I prefer working on a card stock base as it is sturdier and will take more (postal) abuse. Split your card stock sheet in half, most people do this on the 11" dimension, to give you a tall or wide card with a 5.5" "hinge". You can split it on the 8.5" side, giving you a long card ("hinge" on left) or tall card ("hinge" at top). Both divisions will fit into a standard A2 envie, which can be bought in boxes of 100 (?) (i think) at Office Depot, etc. or even WalMart.

Try both ways and see what you like. It's an easy, useful card size that fits a standard envie

Edited by user Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:14:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chuck Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:17:46 PM(UTC)
Chuck

BigGrin Thanks NotGoingGreyGracefully (at least you have hair that CAN go grey) ha ha

YOu know, once I understand this, I will wonder why it was so difficult. If I get this first card done, I will attempt to post a pic for you. Thanks again for your help.
Chuck Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:27:42 PM(UTC)
Chuck

Dear NGGG - I really thank you for your assistance with this first card. Now the video says to make a red mat 4 x 5-1/4 which actually is 8 x 5-1/4. This is a landscape card with the hinge at the top. So I guess I just have to experiment so it makes sense to me.
Chuck Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:42:02 PM(UTC)
Chuck

Dear NGGG - I'm getting too frustrated with the video on youtube and this lady's measurements. She makes it look so easy. I think I will go to bed and look at it again tomorrow. It just doesn't make sense to my poor little brain.
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:45:45 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Sounds to me like they want you to cut 4x5.25". When placed on your folded card, this will leave a 1/8" border of the card base showing around your panel. This is a typical strategy when building an A2 card, and if your embellishments have too much dimension, you will have to trim your whole card down (well, the three sides that aren't folded) to get it to fit into the envie.

Hang in there, you're coming right along!!

But it's getting late for me and I have to be up extra early tomorrow as it is not only garbage day but recycle pick up and we have missed the last two so our recycle runneth over. I've tagged and watched this thread so if you have any more questions, or make it through the process and post I'll be able to check it out.

Enjoy!
Chuck Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:47:58 PM(UTC)
Chuck

Thanks much - this is too difficult
Chuck Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 11:49:53 AM(UTC)
Chuck

OK - I'm finally getting back to this while eating lunch. I'm starting over and I think my main misconception
is that the cards are a LOT smaller than I thought they were, if they are going to fit in an A2 envelope. Having said that, I'm going to begin all over and cut everything out of scrap or plain paper to check out my measurements and understanding of the project. I'll report back "if" I get it figured out. Thanks for everybody's help.BigGrin
Chuck Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 12:13:27 PM(UTC)
Chuck

BigGrin That's EXACTLY what my problem was - I had a total misconception of the actual card size. I should have my first card done in short order and hopefully will be able to post a pic.
Chuck Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:13:57 PM(UTC)
Chuck

Cool OK - I basically have my first card done. There is supposed to be a red ribbon at the top of the middle of the card, but I don't know how to tie a ribbon correctly :-) Also in the right-hand corner it's supposed to say Happy Holidays in a square but I didn't do that part either. I just wanted to see how far I could get. I will try to insert an image. Well I guess I'll have to figure that out, I thought I could just copy it from my desktop. Well if anybody can tell me how to do that, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
File Attachment(s):
Xmas Card.jpg (1,601kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
 1 user thanked Chuck for this useful post.
barbara mcconville on 12/12/2010(UTC)
JensMom Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:31:37 PM(UTC)
JensMom

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 457 time(s) in 333 post(s)
Great Job Chuck!!! Love those colors. Looks like you are well on your way to becoming a pro!!!Love
 1 user thanked JensMom for this useful post.
Chuck on 11/5/2010(UTC)
#19 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:48:37 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

If I could just figure out how to open your pic ...

Did you find the thread on how to post pics on the board? I've got it in my Faves, and I can look it up for you if you'd like!

I thought that if you saw or drew out an A2 envie, you'd see how small it is, and figure out life from there. That's why I did the measurements for you. You seem to have come out very well!!

Now, Repeat after me: "I am not stupid, I am not stupid, I am not stupid ..."
Chuck Offline
#20 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:52:11 PM(UTC)
Chuck

BigGrin You are not stupid! You are not stupid! You are not stupid! ha ha ha Actually all I did was edited my original message and uploaded the pic from my desktop. If you click on it, it should open with any standard pic program you have on your system. If not, I should probably learn how to do it the right way. It was literally amazing to me when I went to JoAnn's today and saw the size of an A2 then it started to click.
Doxieluv01 Offline
#21 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:55:22 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

click the "xmas card" link and a pop up box will appear and click open

Chuck great job on your card. you're well on your way!!! BigGrin
Chuck Offline
#22 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:58:15 PM(UTC)
Chuck

Thanks Doxieluv - I just retired in June (2 years early) and I wanted to find something relaxing to do. It will become relaxing the more I do it.
#23 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:58:17 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Okay, DH just got home and told me how to open your jpeg file.

Very nice!!
Is that scrap paper, or did you do it again with good paper to show off? I'll bet everything makes sense now.
A2 is basically the smallest size that the Post Office will handle without special charges. And, like I said, it's easily derived from a standard sheet of 8.5 x 11" paper. So since we've started making our own cards, this is a very popular size. Hence, the proliferation of A2 envies in bulk. There are all kinds of templates for making your own envies, but I'd rather put my creativity into what goes in the envie. The Post Office will never learn of my creative talentsLaugh !
Chuck Offline
#24 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 2:00:16 PM(UTC)
Chuck

BigGrin I did it with good paper. I really thought I understood. BTW does DH mean "Dear Husband" ??? I see it all the time.
Chuck Offline
#25 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 2:03:16 PM(UTC)
Chuck

P.S. for anybody - in your humble opinions, where is/are the best places to buy supplies; envies, paper, embellishments, etc. I've got a really good start with the Expression, Cuttlebug, Xyron, etc. I bought most of it last November 29th :-) and am just getting around to putting it to use. Couldn't devote enough time to it when I was working. Thanks
ShawnMosch Offline
#26 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 2:09:02 PM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

Was thanked: 854 time(s) in 292 post(s)
Chuck wrote:
I watched a youtube video for making a christmas card, and on the Winter Woodland cartridge, she used the word Joy, on page 78. I have no idea how to cut out that word. Can anybody help me? It has to be something simple I'm overlooking (and yes, I'm a novice at this). Thanks

I think that every Cricut should be sold with someone to show you how all of the buttons work. :)

Also, you can use sites like this one
http://www.cricutsearch.com/copper/displayimage.php?album=133&pid=4633#top_display_mediawhere you can click on the handbook image to have it enlarge for you and you can see the info better.
Doxieluv01 Offline
#27 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 2:20:23 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Chuck wrote:
Thanks Doxieluv - I just retired in June (2 years early) and I wanted to find something relaxing to do. It will become relaxing the more I do it.

congrats on your retirement. you will love this. It is my "relaxation" as well. can't wait to see what else you create.
#28 Posted : Sunday, November 07, 2010 2:18:05 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

I'm "retired" for medical reasons, this is one of my forms of therapy.

Yes, DH = Dear Husband

Check out Scrapalette's thread,"Learning the Lingo" on the old board, under Getting Started. I printed it out when I first got going. It has abbreviations for carts, family, all kinds of stuff ... explained how you got bugheads - a feature this board lacks - and a bunch of other handy stuff. I'd post the link but I stay too busy to have ever learned how to do that. Like the post a pic thread, I have the info but I've never done it.Laugh Laugh And yes, you are well on your way to stardom.
Mema Offline
#29 Posted : Sunday, November 07, 2010 5:21:29 PM(UTC)
Mema

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hey Chuck! I just saw your pic, what a great job you did! You have the size for an A2 correct finished size is 4.25 x 5.50. Just cut an 81/2 x 11 piece of card stock in half, 11" piece cut in half gives you 5.50 x 8 1/2. Fold in half thru the center of 8 1/2" piece and you have a perfect 4 1/4 x 5 1/2" card. When layering your card stock you can start by making each layer 1/8 " smaller all around. To make a fake bow just cut a piece of ribbon say, 3" long, slide it under the ribbon you have on your card (make sure not to glue ribbon all the way ie, leave a spot for bow)Slide your ribbon under the ribbon on your card and tie tightly with a knot then trim your ends to the desired length. Voila you have the perfect fake bow. There is also a great video of making a bow with a fork! Just google "fork bow". I can't remember the ladie's name but the video is a riot. It takes a little practice but well worth it. You might also enjoy adding "stickles" ( this is a great glitter glue product found at Michaels etc.). It helps to add sparkle and dimension to your cards. Hope this helps to kick it up a notch! lol. Feel free to check out my blog, I am always putting new ideas up there!