Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

micheleellis1 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:05:57 PM(UTC)
micheleellis1

Groups: Registered

I am a very keen cupcake/Sugarcraft maker and am looking at buying a Cricut machine for my cupcake wrappers and Sugar paper crafts..Its something completely new to me and want to make sure the Cricut is the right machine for me..I am uk based too..Does the Cricut Expression do anything??? Can I attach it to my PC so can cut out Photos etc??
Many Thanks
Michele
Confused Confused Confused
MELM Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:34:06 PM(UTC)
MELM

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Welcome to the board! I am not a baker so I am probably not the right person to answer this question!LOL Just to clarify do you want a machine to cut paper cupcake wrappers or a machine to cut frosting sheets and such? The cricut cake and new cricut cake mini are designed for food, the others....expression, imagine and the little one (create) are for paper. One answer I can tell you is that the cricut products work off a cartridge system not the computer per se....although some products do require access to a computer to update firmware etc.

This is a little confusing I am sure.....but in general I love my cricut. I can't imagine paper crafts without it.

Let me know a little more what you'Re wanting to do and I will try to answer better and send youbto some videos where you can learn about the various machines. Hope that helps
micheleellis1 Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:39:06 PM(UTC)
micheleellis1

Hi thanks..What I am looking to do is print photos onto sugar paper/Icing and cut these out into discs to stick to cupcakes and Birthday cakes...Any also cut cupcake wrappers mainly..I also have another business to would be looking to make stickers too..Basically I am trying to make a little extra money so any other added features would be great..

This make sense
Sorry its very vague but still slightly unsure of the Cricut as up to lastweek I didnt know of the product :-)
Thanks a lot
Michele
MELM Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:57:19 PM(UTC)
MELM

micheleellis1 wrote:
Hi thanks..What I am looking to do is print photos onto sugar paper/Icing and cut these out into discs to stick to cupcakes and Birthday cakes...Any also cut cupcake wrappers mainly..I also have another business to would be looking to make stickers too..Basically I am trying to make a little extra money so any other added features would be great..

This make sense
Sorry its very vague but still slightly unsure of the Cricut as up to lastweek I didnt know of the product :-)
Thanks a lot
Michele

Of so here are a few answers. The cake and cake mini cut out frosting sheets, but do not print. The difference between the two is mainly the size. I don't think you are suppose to cut paper with the cake machines as tis would dirty up your blade.

The other machines cut paper and the imagine prints designs and paper (from their cartridges) and cuts. None make stickers per se although you could cut the shapes out of paper.

I will find you some links so you can see them in action. Also check tube for lots of how to videos.

Does that help?BigGrin
MELM Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:58:43 PM(UTC)
MELM

Oops meant uTube!
MELM Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:05:18 PM(UTC)
MELM

Here is the cricut cake sight....click on Play video

http://www.cricut.com/cake/Home.aspx

MELM Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:16:54 PM(UTC)
MELM

Also what am I thinking!! Check out the cricut cake section of this message board....as usual there are women there that know a ton and also pictures of great projects. Have fun.
micheleellis1 Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:22:56 PM(UTC)
micheleellis1

Thanks sooooo Much the Cake sounds fantastic,looks like ill be buying lotsof different ones at this rate lol..Your help is much appreciated!!! xBigGrin
♥Carol♥ Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 3:44:43 AM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2764 time(s) in 2201 post(s)
Hiya Michele and WELCOME to the Cricut MB. MELM has already given you some wonderful answers and information, so there is little more to add. However, I did want to mention, since you said you get creative making cupcake papers ... Cricut has a Lite cart that is totally and completely all cupcake wrappers and cupcake toppers. These could be cut out of different materials, but could also be cut out of frosting sheets for a really fun and creative cupcake embellishment.

You can view what is on the Cupcake cart here ...

http://www.cricut.com/re...ooks/cupcaketrifold.jpg

The Lite carts are sold exclusively at WalMart here in the United States ... however, I know that there are some online vendors offering them to UK customers as well ... if this is something you are interested in, send me a PM and I will try to get the online vendor web addresses for you, OK?

Also, just to Clarify ...

The Cricut Baby Bug (V-l), Cricut Create and Cricut Expressions machines all cut images, shapes and letters from pre-designed cartridges. The Cricut Cake Machines are made from food safe materials so that you can cut food items ... like frosting sheets, gum paste, pie crust, cookie dough, thinly sliced cheese and lunch meats, tortilla wrappers, pasta dough, etc. ... again, the Cricut Cake also cuts images, shapes and letters from pre-designed cartridges. The Cricut Imagine allows you to print your designs, or cut your designs, or cut AND print your designs ... this machine uses pre-designed cartridges for the images, shapes, letters, and also patterns/colors selections.

All of these machines were designed to be used with cartridges and do not allow you to cut photos, images or designs you have made yourself (at least not at this time) ..... HOWEVER, there are some design tools that are wonderful compliments to the Cricut family that will allow you to "tweak" images and shapes and manipulate them and weld them into new shapes and images that you can design yourself. These tools are the Gypsy and the Design Studio Program.

A Gypsy is a handheld device, it is very portable, you can link all your cartridges to it so that you do not need to carry them around with you, it allows you the ability to design anywhere at any time and later connect it to your Cricut or Imagine machine to cut your designs. The Gypsy works with ALL the Cricuts and the Imagine machine as well.

The Design Studio program (DS) works very similar to the Gypsy, except that it is a program that is loaded onto your computer, and your computer connects to your Cricut via the use of a USB cord. With DS, you have the advantage of a larger screen than the Gypsy ... however, it is not as portable, since you must have your computer to create your designs, nor does it store all of your cartridges for you. With DS, you must insert the cartridges into the Cricut, just as you would if you were using your Cricut manually. DS will work with all the Cricut machines, except the Imagine machine (at least not at this time).

I am sure this is way more info than you were looking for ... but hopefully you found some of it useful.