Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

EmmaHunt Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:43:05 PM(UTC)
EmmaHunt

Groups: Registered

Hi Ive just got a cricut create and was so excited to start using it....now Ive tried and I can't do it. I know its my fault and not my poor cricuts but Id like to chuck it out of the widow right about now!!

My card is tearing when I take it off the cutting board, and if I take it off very slowly the card might (if Im very very lucky) come off without tearing too much but then its all curled. I just out a card blank from my "Just because' cards cartridge and it was all rolled up.

Please please help me, I really want to be excited again!
cortney Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:50:22 PM(UTC)
cortney

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Two things that might help.

1) go to aboverubiesstudio.com and look for her paper cutting guide. i believe it is a free download. this is invaluable resource and mine is always right next to my machine.

2) What type of paper are you using? Is it cardstock or something else? sometimes the thinner patterned papers tend to curl with a new mat.

I kind of don't recommend this but someone one time suggested hugging the mat against them (sticky side to clothing to help take away some of the sticky stuff...but i think that that could really mess up a good mat..imagine and angora sweater..uggh

maybe try placing a sheet of paper on the mat, not cutting and pulling it right back off a couple of times..this may help take down the tackiness a little.

good luck...and once you get going you will love it!
 1 user thanked cortney for this useful post.
EmmaHunt on 12/12/2010(UTC)
EmmaHunt Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:57:17 PM(UTC)
EmmaHunt

Thanks for the tips I really appreciate the reply, I was trying to cut card but its only very thin card.
I'll try the 'putting paper on and peeling it off' trick and hope that helps.

Thanks again!
ScrappinMamaw Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:57:39 PM(UTC)
ScrappinMamaw

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 100 post(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoRfC9A8yCA
go here and watch this video on how to prepare your mat. this should help you alot. Do you have a spatula that also helps alot. Also goggle my pink stamper and go to her videos around 72 or 77 she starts a series on using the expression but it is basically the same for the create and that should help you also. I know I was frustrated with new mat til I learned Dan's tips and my pink stampers.

Karen
For the love of paper Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 1:13:52 PM(UTC)
For the love of paper

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Welcome to CricutLand!
Yes, Emma don't give up. I freaked out abit too when I first got my cricut (this year). I used thinner paper to play at first and it did the same thing - wish my hair would curl as well as the paper did. I saw a youtube tip - lay a washed t-shirt down on the mat, smooth it over and then remove. It just removes that extra stickiness. I used this tip after I replenished my old mats with zig two sided glue. I used alittle too much glue- this helped. I 2nd the rubies studio cutting guide. It is worth getting. Also her DVDs for the cricut and gypsy are great. Yes, it is money but you also want to be able to understand your machine so you can get the full use of your investment.
Happy Cricut Christmas!

ps - Thanks ScrappinMamaw for that link to Cricut Dan. You and I were posting our tips to Emma at the same time. You beat me. Emma, this looks good also. Will have to try this. Check out the video when you get to youtube (sorry, my comp won't let me put link -weird) on his vinyl tips.

Edited by user Sunday, December 12, 2010 1:30:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: P.S. added

LaTonya Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 1:54:44 PM(UTC)
LaTonya

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Pressing the mat against your shirt will also release the adhesive a bit. The more you use the mat, the better it will be. I strongly recommend getting the cricut spatula or the toolit. It makes getting paper off so much easier. Not all cardstock works well, I find that heavier cardstock and papers cut more crisp. My favorite blogs for tutorial are obsessedwithscrapbooking.com and mypinkstamper.com. I learned how to use my cricut from these ladies and Joy at Obsessedwithscrapbooking even post weekly coupons to craft stores on her website. Last but not least as you pull your paper off the mat, pull in the direction opposite that you put it down.
candacesanford Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:02:20 PM(UTC)
candacesanford

Please go to obsessedwithscrapbooking.com. Joy has a paper guide that is so simple. It's a chart that I printed laminated then applied to the top cover of my cricut. mypinkstamper.com also has a great site that helped me soooo much when I got started. Without these ladies and a few more I probably would have wanted to throw mine out the window too:)
gmcwife1 Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:08:36 PM(UTC)
gmcwife1

United States

Was thanked: 646 time(s) in 531 post(s)
Don't give up Smile There is a bit of a learning curve with our Cricuts, but once you get the hang of it or for some of us, over the fear of it, you will love your new toy!

I also do the patty cake thing with my mats and I probably use cardstock for 90% of my cuts.

Have fun with your new toy and don't forget to just keep asking when you get frustrated, just about all of us have been there Wink

~ Dori ~
AmandaSmith23 Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:16:11 PM(UTC)
AmandaSmith23

Was thanked: 476 time(s) in 296 post(s)
After you get the hang of it, you will love your cricut! I had many of the same frustrations when I first got mine in April. Now I always have one brand new mat for the thicker cardstock that has a tendency to slip on an older mat and use my older one for the thinner paper. And I love the spatula to get off the thin paper.

The biggest thing that helped me love my cricut was Design Studio. I hated wasting all those little pieces for the layers when you cut them without Design Studio..with it, I can hide those things and use as many different papers as I want!

Good Luck and Have fun!!
LindaStarks Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 7:06:23 PM(UTC)
LindaStarks

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Don't give up. you will learn and then you will love it
MamaC2 Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 8:31:58 PM(UTC)
MamaC2

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1756 post(s)
Please don't let the mat cause you to give up! Read and follow all of the posts you have gotten...they are great tips!

Also...I turn the mat over and remove the paper by pulling back on the mat and holding the image down on the surface of the table.
CharB Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 8:36:18 PM(UTC)
CharB

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Another suggestion: buy some of the cheap cardstock at Walmart, and just play with it. Don't worry if the cuts tear when you pull them off. Just throw the torn pieces away. If you can't get all the cardstock bits off with a Cricut spatula then run the mat under some warm water with some no-tears baby shampoo, rinse it off, and use the t-shirt trick to dry it off.

Also, when the mat is too sticky bits of the glue will sometimes get under and inside the blade housing. Take it off, push the plunger to remove the blade and carefully rub it on a t-shirt to get the residue off. Ditto for the bottom of the housing.

Play, play and more play,

CharB