Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
AliceZ Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 5:31:17 PM(UTC)
AliceZ

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I want to move all my crafting items to the basement and set up a corner craft space. We have a dry clean basement, it is just unfinished. Anyone have any been there done that, words of wisdom to share, on how you set up your space and so that it is conducive to creativity?

My husband is worried my kids will get into my stuff, but I do not have those worries. They hate playing in the basement, even though I have it set up for them. I think (and hope) they will be considerate and leave my stuff alone.

I currently share a very small bedroom that we've turned into an office, with my DH and it is just not working. I fear I will never craft again if I do not get my own space.

Thanks!
scraphappybritt Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 5:50:33 PM(UTC)
scraphappybritt

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AliceZ Go to Quoted Post
I want to move all my crafting items to the basement and set up a corner craft space. We have a dry clean basement, it is just unfinished. Anyone have any been there done that, words of wisdom to share, on how you set up your space and so that it is conducive to creativity?

My husband is worried my kids will get into my stuff, but I do not have those worries. They hate playing in the basement, even though I have it set up for them. I think (and hope) they will be considerate and leave my stuff alone.

I currently share a very small bedroom that we've turned into an office, with my DH and it is just not working. I fear I will never craft again if I do not get my own space.

Thanks!

I just gave my craftroom a make over. I tried coming up with different ideas on how I was going to organize my stuff and what I was going to use. I decided to get some JetMax cubes. And I'm glad I did. Along one wall I have 22 and along another which is my work area I have 8 more. My work area has 4 cubes stacked 2 high on each side of where I would sit. And my husband got a 8ft strait piece of counter top and put it on top of the cubes. I love my new room. I plan on posting pics of my new room as soon as the curtains r done. Good luck.

I forgot to add that my room is in a unfinished basement too. But it looks so nice now that iv added my touches to it BigGrin

Edited by user Monday, February 28, 2011 5:53:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cyimbugbitten Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 5:51:09 PM(UTC)
cyimbugbitten

United States

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Hi! Are you the same Alice from the old mb? If you are, welcome back! If not, welcome anyway! Love
I don't have a basement space available, but if I had the opportunity, I'd go for it! Do you have any 'furniture' that you're using for your scrapbooking stuff where you have it now? Maybe you could move that down there. Do you have a desk, table, bookshelves, etc? Pegboard is a wonderful addition w/o costing an arm and a leg. BTW, how old are your kiddos...old enough to leave it alone? If not set up a space for them...w their own 'supplies'. When mine were little, I'd give them construction paper, scissors, glue sticks, crayons, stickers, stencils, color books, etc. They knew that they didn't mess w mom's stuff...Wink When they came in there, they were happy to have their own fun space. HTH

Carol
~ŠǿƒŧβŖñ™~ Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 5:57:48 PM(UTC)
~ŠǿƒŧβŖñ™~

Location: cricutLAND with LilMamma, BigMamma, BabyMamma and now GRANDMamma..

Was thanked: 458 time(s) in 280 post(s)
I would love to see pictures.. I'm currently in an unfinished basement.. I'm constantly looking for ideas as to how to set it up.. I have it set up as much as it will get, but I'm always rearranging something.. I now just took over one of the small rooms down there that will be my "Winter space".. and the rest of the basement will be my "all other time space",lol..
AliceZ Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 6:42:45 PM(UTC)
AliceZ

Hi Carol! Yes I was on the "old" message boards alot! I got very frustrated with how slow things were to load and then duplicate posts, not being able to log on etc, that I have been away for a long while. I came back because I am chairing a Crop/Craft Day fundraiser from my son's school and thought I'd try to reconnect with some of my old cricut message board friends.

It has been way, way too long.

Originally Posted by: cyimbugbitten Go to Quoted Post
Hi! Are you the same Alice from the old mb? If you are, welcome back! If not, welcome anyway! Love
I don't have a basement space available, but if I had the opportunity, I'd go for it! Do you have any 'furniture' that you're using for your scrapbooking stuff where you have it now? Maybe you could move that down there. Do you have a desk, table, bookshelves, etc? Pegboard is a wonderful addition w/o costing an arm and a leg. BTW, how old are your kiddos...old enough to leave it alone? If not set up a space for them...w their own 'supplies'. When mine were little, I'd give them construction paper, scissors, glue sticks, crayons, stickers, stencils, color books, etc. They knew that they didn't mess w mom's stuff...Wink When they came in there, they were happy to have their own fun space. HTH

Carol

AliceZ Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 6:49:45 PM(UTC)
AliceZ

I have a four foot table and my grandmothers old kitchen table, a large bookcase, and a large wardrobe that I am going to add shelves to so I can store a lot of my stuff. I've thought of painting everything, except grandma's table white so they match my storage cubes.

I have a Jetmax rolling storage station of some kind, it has a desk arm that I can raise or lower as well as a few cubes. I have plenty of storage items that is not the issue.

I also think, by now, my kiddos (5,7 and 13) know what they can and can't touch when it comes to my supplies.

I just need to get my DH to help me out.

greenbean Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 6:54:53 PM(UTC)
greenbean

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 2223 time(s) in 1014 post(s)
i totally have a craft cave...here's some pics...warning...it's not pretty...but it still love it!...lol...

edited to add...guess i could've moved my toilet paper roll...but hey...a bean's gotta blow her nose!...LOL

Edited by user Monday, February 28, 2011 7:17:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked greenbean for this useful post.
KeepinUpWKaren on 3/2/2011(UTC), Shrek1970uk on 3/3/2011(UTC)
Raskle Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 6:55:16 PM(UTC)
Raskle

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 54 post(s)
WB Alice Cool

How "unfinished" is your basement? LOL I am wondering ifyou have studs/brick/block walls unfinished but hung drywall/etc. What size of space are look looking to claim? (I like to visualize when I try to "help" "design" a space.....lol!) Flapper LOL
Raskle Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 6:59:29 PM(UTC)
Raskle

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 54 post(s)
P.S. At this point I'd love to have an unfinished basement to have as my own! Currently I craft out of a closet with sliding doors in our living room (we live in an apartment)
nightmare/fan Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 7:14:25 PM(UTC)
nightmare/fan

United States

Was thanked: 265 time(s) in 138 post(s)
At my old house I had my srapbook area in an unfinished basement and I loved it. I had so much room to spread out and nobody bothered me there. My husband even installed a large daylight overhead light so it didn't feel so dark.
At the current house I have a room that is half home office (I work from home) and half scrapbook area. It does feel a bit cramped and when I am trying to craft my work seems to always be on my mind, but at least I do have an area for scrapbooking so I guess I cannot complain.
scraphappybritt Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 7:20:33 PM(UTC)
scraphappybritt

Well here if a few quick pics I ran down and took. Please dont mind the curtains. I am working on getting them finished.

OK well for some reason i cant post pics. I will try sometime tomorrow BigGrin

There we go. Dont mind the big rust stain in front of my cubes. I have a rug i altered that goes there but its in the wash

Edited by user Monday, February 28, 2011 7:51:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scraphappybritt attached the following image(s):
DSCN0138.JPG
DSCN0139.JPG
DSCN0140.JPG
 2 users thanked scraphappybritt for this useful post.
KeepinUpWKaren on 3/2/2011(UTC), AliceZ on 3/5/2011(UTC)
NJsharon Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 7:34:42 PM(UTC)
NJsharon

Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 248 post(s)
I scrap currently in an unfinished basement. My only 2 problems are that it gets chilly in the winter (so I have a space heater) & I get the odd little spider or cobweb down there!

One day we will finish it off, but for now, I like it!

I too have the Jetmax cubes along one wall. I put down a big offcut of carpet that covers most of my scrap area (as it was bare cement floor & again chilly). I also invested in some 6ft folding tables, so I could hold crops down there.

Oh & my other peeve (so I lied & I have 3) is that our electrical outlets are in the ceiling, so I have wires hanging down for my cricut, heater, mini fridge (that is great to have down there!) etc.

DeeScraps Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 7:46:47 PM(UTC)
DeeScraps

Was thanked: 781 time(s) in 611 post(s)
Greenbean....your basement room looks great.
LorettaS Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 8:33:18 PM(UTC)
LorettaS

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I have my craft space in an unfinished basement. I recently had the walls ( brick) and the floor (concrete) painted. I have a 6 ft table, some jetmax cubes, embellishment center, and shelves my brother hung around the table. It does get chilly but I use a space heater also. I love my space.
cyimbugbitten Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 9:33:45 PM(UTC)
cyimbugbitten

United States

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AliceZ Go to Quoted Post
Hi Carol! Yes I was on the "old" message boards alot! I got very frustrated with how slow things were to load and then duplicate posts, not being able to log on etc, that I have been away for a long while. I came back because I am chairing a Crop/Craft Day fundraiser from my son's school and thought I'd try to reconnect with some of my old cricut message board friends.

It has been way, way too long.

I thought that was you...nice to see you again!!! Love Those days were so fun! I love it when some of the 'oldies' come back...gives us hope for more to return. Wink

Carol

luvmyE&G Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:38:13 PM(UTC)
luvmyE&G

United States

Was thanked: 1356 time(s) in 700 post(s)
I have my craft room in the basement and it is unfinished at least that room is. It ok but a little cold this winter so I asked for a heater for christmas. I painted the walls and floor and added some Ott lights. I ran extension cords after we realized that there was not electric in that room. So we just ran cords from the next room through the rafters and to where I needed them. I put surge protectors on both sides of the room and that is how I turn on and off the electricity. Here are some pics from when I first finished it. It looks a lot messier now!!! My only thing is that I wish I had better lighting on one side of the room. It's hard to see when I am cutting sometimes. But I love love love having my own space again!

1 user thanked luvmyE&G for this useful post.
KeepinUpWKaren on 3/2/2011(UTC)
janmckenzie Offline
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:06:21 AM(UTC)
janmckenzie

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
way way cool...you guys gave me alot of ideas!!!!
LizaHenderson Offline
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:25:22 AM(UTC)
LizaHenderson

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 175 post(s)
I am in the basement too. Our basement is BAD though. Laid stone, gets wet, not cool. Last summer my hubs and I cleaned and dry locked 2 of the walls and then my dad built out (8" from the stone wall) some walls for me to give me an 11x14 room. I LOVE IT. I will prob never be finished, but it's all mine. I can leave it a mess and I just don't care. HAHAHHA! I need to take pics, I'm just waiting for it to be clean, but that might never happen, so I will get some up soon.

Great ideas and photos everyone.
KeepinUpWKaren Offline
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:45:18 PM(UTC)
KeepinUpWKaren

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I love Love LOVE the suggestions and kudos to those that shared pictures. I am currently working out of my office, but I would love to have a space where I could keep my items out and also have others over. Now, I am full of ideas thanks to you all.

~K
ksqueenb Online
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:33:35 PM(UTC)
ksqueenb

United States

Was thanked: 417 time(s) in 250 post(s)
I am in an unfinished basement. The cement block walls were painted white and just paint on the floor. I added peel and stick vinyl on the floor. While it may not keep me warm, it is easy to sweep
greengirl (Michele) Offline
#21 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:50:53 PM(UTC)
greengirl (Michele)

United States

Was thanked: 2381 time(s) in 889 post(s)
Well, my husband "finished" our basement so there is drywall up but we just painted the floor and it's all one huge open space, apart from a guest bedroom and a storage room. So I'll share a pic here anyway, as I have to be creative about how I put my stuff out in one big giant space.

It is also a rec room type area for the whole family and the only place in the house that I let my DH have his hunting "trophies" out. So yes, there is a deer in my space but I'm okay with it, as wierd as that is.

There are a few more pics on my blog post here if you are interested in different views.

My only complaint is that it gets COLD down there in the winter! In the summer it's like free air conditioning though! LOL Also, similar to what someone else said, my outlets are in the middle of the walls. I have no idea why DH did it this way but apparently he thought it was a good idea????
scraphappybritt Offline
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:47:37 AM(UTC)
scraphappybritt

Originally Posted by: greengirl Go to Quoted Post
Well, my husband "finished" our basement so there is drywall up but we just painted the floor and it's all one huge open space, apart from a guest bedroom and a storage room. So I'll share a pic here anyway, as I have to be creative about how I put my stuff out in one big giant space.

It is also a rec room type area for the whole family and the only place in the house that I let my DH have his hunting "trophies" out. So yes, there is a deer in my space but I'm okay with it, as wierd as that is.

There are a few more pics on my blog post here if you are interested in different views.

My only complaint is that it gets COLD down there in the winter! In the summer it's like free air conditioning though! LOL Also, similar to what someone else said, my outlets are in the middle of the walls. I have no idea why DH did it this way but apparently he thought it was a good idea????

Our husband's are a lot alike. To take the pic of my room to post on here I had to take down a fish my husband caught years ago. And if the ceiling was high enough. Bobo his deer would be down there BigGrin
AliceZ Offline
#23 Posted : Saturday, March 05, 2011 8:30:51 AM(UTC)
AliceZ

Originally Posted by: Raskle Go to Quoted Post
WB Alice Cool

How "unfinished" is your basement? LOL I am wondering ifyou have studs/brick/block walls unfinished but hung drywall/etc. What size of space are look looking to claim? (I like to visualize when I try to "help" "design" a space.....lol!) Flapper LOL

Oh, it is very unfinished, my DH attempted to finish it off, oh about five years ago. Got the studs up and stopped. So I have cement floor/walls with studs. We have a bathroom roughed in and a storage closet roughed in. Other than that, it is a wide open space.

AliceZ Offline
#24 Posted : Saturday, March 05, 2011 8:42:37 AM(UTC)
AliceZ

Thank you everyone. I will have to take some before pictures so you can see what I have to start with. I am going to have to get creative because I can't stand the metal studs and will not want to look at them all day. My DH will be giving me an 8 foot section of peg board witch will cover some of the walls, and I am going to just bring some 10x10 card board home from work to cover the other walls and let my kids paint pictures or help me decorate it. Heck, maybe I will just cut out a bunch of 8 to 10 inch flowers on the cricut and decorate the cardboard with them. lol

cropaholic Offline
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:36:41 PM(UTC)
cropaholic

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 161 post(s)
How about using pegboard for all your walls? My scrapbook room is also in the basement and was unfinished, but my husband originally turned the space into a woodworking shop and put pegboard up on a couple walls. When I took it over as my scrapbooking room, he put up more pegboard and I just painted the pegboard. It turned out pretty good and it's handy to have the pegboard to hang scrapbooking supplies on.
cropaholic Offline
#26 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:42:52 PM(UTC)
cropaholic

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Here's some pics on my blog of my basement scrapbook room. We put some laminate flooring in there too so I didn't have to stand on the concrete.

http://cropaholicscorner.blogsp...scrapbook-room-pics.html
live2clickpics Offline
#27 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2011 8:18:30 PM(UTC)
live2clickpics

Was thanked: 6445 time(s) in 1245 post(s)
Originally Posted by: greengirl Go to Quoted Post

You know... those antlers would make a really cool ribbon storage. Just sayin' Wink
PeggyArthurs Offline
#28 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:54:01 PM(UTC)
PeggyArthurs

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
At our last house, I had my craft room in the basement...same problem as some of the previous posts, no outlets. I had extension cords running across the ceiling! This was before I had my Cricut, though, so it wasn't as much as an issue. One problem that I did find frustrating, I was learning how to use the computer for some of my pages, and the computer was upstairs in the living room!! I got a lot of exercise running up and down those stairs!

nu@scrappin Offline
#29 Posted : Friday, April 01, 2011 7:23:10 PM(UTC)
nu@scrappin

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Greenbean & Luv my E & G I love both of your scrap room they are so nice I wish my unfinished basement was looking like that. I wish my husband was handy. heheheCursing
MamaC2 Offline
#30 Posted : Friday, April 01, 2011 9:00:24 PM(UTC)
MamaC2

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1756 post(s)
That is how I started my craft room...in a corner of our unfinished basement. The first thing that I did was purchase a rug to cover the concrete floor of my workspace. I bought shelves from Lowes and Walmart to form the "walls" and created a "room".

There is one window in the basement, so I set-up my workspace around the window. I added a floor lamp and desk for my crafting area. I bought folding tables to hold my Cricuts and other large tools. Fortunately I had plenty of outlets in the space and overhead florescent lights.

I worked in this area for about a year. Now that the basement is finished, my "new" craftroom is in the same spot!