Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AdminBecky Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 9:25:24 AM(UTC)
AdminBecky

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Cricut Community Moderator, Registered, Circle Member, Circle Moderator

Was thanked: 5855 time(s) in 426 post(s)
We know many of you have questions around the recent news dealing with third-party software and Cricut. As a creative company, it’s important for us to both protect the intellectual property of Cricut machines, as well as protect the community of independent artists, designers, and programmers we work with.

Click the link to read the official statement from Provo Craft.
http://www.cricut.com/statement/
 1 user thanked AdminBecky for this useful post.
AnnaGlanz on 3/30/2014(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 12:36:22 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1255 time(s) in 797 post(s)
This is very short sided of Provo Craft. There is money to be made from 3rd party software.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Allow 3rd party plug-ins. I have Photoshop and have spent about $500 or more on 3rd party plug ins. For example you could allow a 3rd party to develop plug-in that would create a lattice effect, drawing tools, shapes, etc. Again, money to be made for you.
2. Allow 3rd party software to work with your machines. Again, you can get a slice of that. Allow it, but only if it is sold in your on-line store.
3. Allow 3rd parties to develop your cartridges to work in their software. The work would be developed by the 3rd party, you can sell it your on-line store for downloading. Again, money to be made.

Adobe and Microsoft both work with 3rd parties for plug-ins and add ons. For your customers, and your shareholders, you really need to reconsider this.

8 users thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
Lynn Cochran on 6/26/2011(UTC), OdetteRiley on 7/30/2011(UTC), SherryMc on 9/17/2011(UTC), redlady on 9/20/2011(UTC), KylieHarbin on 12/22/2011(UTC), CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC), looskeelooa6575540f on 5/29/2013(UTC), lala81 on 9/11/2014(UTC)
NatalieWeppler Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 8:15:21 PM(UTC)
NatalieWeppler

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What is so sad is that there is so much better software available to use with dicutting style machines. Cricut has the general crafter in mind, but the capabilities of the software is very limited. There was a much better 3rd party software available, but since Cricut sued them, you can no longer cut with their software. This was a terrible injustice to many. I own not only the Expression, but also the Cake. I own the Gypsy, DS, the (obsolete) Jukebox, and about 80 cartridges and still found this software to be not only useful, but better than the DS software that is so limited. Now you would think that Cricut would hire the makers of this software to overhaul the DS that is terrible to use and make more money because it would make using the cricut machines so much easier and so much more versitile.
What is sad to me is that Cricut company lost many many loyal customers that were using their machines with 3rd party software. They are now swearing never to buy another Cricut product again and even badmouthing all that Cricut has done for the crafting community.
I believe that instead of being so small minded, that Cricut open their eyes to the fact that their are many other diecutting machine makers in the world and that ultimately they lose out on keeping and or getting new customers from the terrible press that they have recently received over their lawsuits of smaller software businesses. It's sad to me because I used both the cartridges for very specific cutesy designs that cricut offered as well as the gypsy and design studio to create my projects and a third party software. I was recommending the purchase of the cricut cake to other cake decorators. ( I am a cake decorating instructor) Now I do not recommend it because it is far too expensive and far too limited for them to afford. Before, I could justify it to them. Now it is just too much of an investment for such specific needs. I feel that Cricut has cut off it's nose to spite it's face and will now suffer the consequences of it's hideousness to customers who were once in love with not only what Cricut had to offer but what it stood for. Now they are just thought of as money grubbers and jerks. I hate to say it, but it's true. Cricut has offended so many. It's sad.
The lawsuits had nothing to do with protecting artists. It had to do with Cricut bottom line of revenue. They thought they were going to or had lost revenue. How does it feel now Cricut? How does it feel when loyal customers who have continued to purchase products over 5 years decide that enough is enough and they will not give your money grubbing company another dime? Just wondering...
 9 users thanked NatalieWeppler for this useful post.
JaneDough99 on 9/15/2011(UTC), SherryMc on 9/17/2011(UTC), redlady on 9/20/2011(UTC), KylieHarbin on 12/22/2011(UTC), jtonnd1882cf3 on 10/5/2012(UTC), torresme08da02174d on 11/30/2012(UTC), CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC), looskeelooa6575540f on 5/29/2013(UTC), Miranda Mapel on 8/21/2014(UTC)
GloriaContreras3 Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 8:24:07 PM(UTC)
GloriaContreras3

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NatalieWeppler Go to Quoted Post
What is so sad is that there is so much better software available to use with dicutting style machines. Cricut has the general crafter in mind, but the capabilities of the software is very limited. There was a much better 3rd party software available, but since Cricut sued them, you can no longer cut with their software. This was a terrible injustice to many. I own not only the Expression, but also the Cake. I own the Gypsy, DS, the (obsolete) Jukebox, and about 80 cartridges and still found this software to be not only useful, but better than the DS software that is so limited. Now you would think that Cricut would hire the makers of this software to overhaul the DS that is terrible to use and make more money because it would make using the cricut machines so much easier and so much more versitile.
What is sad to me is that Cricut company lost many many loyal customers that were using their machines with 3rd party software. They are now swearing never to buy another Cricut product again and even badmouthing all that Cricut has done for the crafting community.
I believe that instead of being so small minded, that Cricut open their eyes to the fact that their are many other diecutting machine makers in the world and that ultimately they lose out on keeping and or getting new customers from the terrible press that they have recently received over their lawsuits of smaller software businesses. It's sad to me because I used both the cartridges for very specific cutesy designs that cricut offered as well as the gypsy and design studio to create my projects and a third party software. I was recommending the purchase of the cricut cake to other cake decorators. ( I am a cake decorating instructor) Now I do not recommend it because it is far too expensive and far too limited for them to afford. Before, I could justify it to them. Now it is just too much of an investment for such specific needs. I feel that Cricut has cut off it's nose to spite it's face and will now suffer the consequences of it's hideousness to customers who were once in love with not only what Cricut had to offer but what it stood for. Now they are just thought of as money grubbers and jerks. I hate to say it, but it's true. Cricut has offended so many. It's sad.
The lawsuits had nothing to do with protecting artists. It had to do with Cricut bottom line of revenue. They thought they were going to or had lost revenue. How does it feel now Cricut? How does it feel when loyal customers who have continued to purchase products over 5 years decide that enough is enough and they will not give your money grubbing company another dime? Just wondering...

Cricut still has so many more loyal customers that learn about the Cricut everyday.
 1 user thanked GloriaContreras3 for this useful post.
CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC)
MeghanWilliams3 Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:41:37 AM(UTC)
MeghanWilliams3

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You know, I understand the law suit. I don't like it, because it means that I can't buy make the cut, like I planned. What I really wish, is that Provo Craft would learn from MTC (which I tested, but didn't buy unfortunately). Create a second computer program, separate from design studio that allows users to create their own cuts just like we do with MTC. OR, revamp design studio and give us all the opportunity to skew, shape, and stretch the cricut designs to meet our needs. Make us pay for it, just like people pay for MTC. I wasn't testing MTC with anything cricut related, I was just making my own designs that weren't possible with design studio. I still bought design studio and use it, I still buy cricut cartridges. It is frustrating that I spent $300 on an E and now PC gets to decide how I use it. I don't have another $300 to buy a cutter that works with third party programs.

At the very least, PC please learn from these other programs. The welding feature is crap in design studio because you can't re-size your image without destroying your welds. in MTC when you weld, it stays together no mater what you do!

for this whole mess, PC gets a big ThumbDown
 4 users thanked MeghanWilliams3 for this useful post.
Nettie on 9/26/2011(UTC), KylieHarbin on 12/22/2011(UTC), CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC), george.l.barnes2de2dda3 on 10/26/2014(UTC)
kikiskorner Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 12:08:11 AM(UTC)
kikiskorner

I agree 100%. I just spent 2 1/2 hours creating a rhinestone design that would have taken me 5 minutes if I had used an outside program that has a rhinestone feature. I have considered buying another machine that would work with the other programs but I have a huge investment with Cricut and would never be able to get back what I've put into it.
 4 users thanked kikiskorner for this useful post.
SherryMc on 9/17/2011(UTC), torresme08da02174d on 11/30/2012(UTC), CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC), george.l.barnes2de2dda3 on 10/26/2014(UTC)
LorraineSwanson Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 08, 2011 4:51:34 PM(UTC)
LorraineSwanson

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank God I purchased my Cricut at Costco because they take returns no questions. I purchased during my "busy season" thinking I would download the 3rd party software when I got back - I KNOW it was available when I purchased the Cricut.

Thanks but no thanks for offering your cartridges for sale. Sell me a software that will work with your machine. I'm not a scrapbooker, but I am a designer and using someone elses artwork contradicts my ethics. This machine is useless to me now. Off to Costco in the morning.
 7 users thanked LorraineSwanson for this useful post.
The Nan on 9/9/2011(UTC), JaneDough99 on 9/15/2011(UTC), KylieHarbin on 12/22/2011(UTC), torresme08da02174d on 11/30/2012(UTC), CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC), stigerdana33fea02c on 2/18/2014(UTC), george.l.barnes2de2dda3 on 10/26/2014(UTC)
LindaGoins1 Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:17:02 PM(UTC)
LindaGoins1

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Dear Provo Craft:
I am extremely angry that you went to this length. I design and use my own svg files on a regular basis because I do not like much of the art that is available on your cartridges. I use the machine because I feel the machine is made better than most. By not allowing us to use our own svg files or software which will use the ones that we create, you are doing those of us who buy your products a great disservice.

If you want to keep customers from going somewhere else then upgrade your design studio so that it enables us to use other svg files. You are the only company with a die cut machine that has done this. I love my cricut and even bought the cricut 2 because I loved the expression.

The art work that you have on your cartridges is very limited. We don't use our cricut just for scrapbooking. Some of us use it for business purposes. Your cartridges do not carry every single business logo out there, nor will it. Therefore, by having SCAL I was able to use my cricut machine but use the logo that I designed for my cake business. This news is extremely upsetting. It appears that the bottom line is the only thing that you care about. I am very angry about this decision and hope that you upgrade your design studio soon, or else I will use another machine and sell the cricuts' that I have. I have 3!!@!!!!!
 6 users thanked LindaGoins1 for this useful post.
KylieHarbin on 12/22/2011(UTC), torresme08da02174d on 11/30/2012(UTC), CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC), sdavison on 5/29/2013(UTC), stigerdana33fea02c on 2/18/2014(UTC), george.l.barnes2de2dda3 on 10/26/2014(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:26:08 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19161 time(s) in 8569 post(s)
Interesting. Circut is and always has been a cartridge based cutting system. That's the way it was developed, manufactured and marketed. I still don't understand why people who don't want to use cartridges even buy a Cricut. And why it's PC's fault you bought one and now aren't happy because you have to use cartridges with it. Huh

1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
brieness79 on 2/14/2012(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 6:02:34 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
Interesting. Circut is and always has been a cartridge based cutting system. That's the way it was developed, manufactured and marketed. I still don't understand why people who don't want to use cartridges even buy a Cricut. And why it's PC's fault you bought one and now aren't happy because you have to use cartridges with it. Huh

Scrapalette, there are different types of users, people who are talented crafters, people who are craftee, but need guidance, artists and paper engineers to name just a few. I am neither a talented crafter, or artist. My interest is paper engineering. Although I love to watch videos on beautiful layered cards people have made and would cherish receiving one, I probably would never make something like that.

I purchased my Cricut to do paper engineering, make popup books, that kind of thing. When I purchased it, 3rd party software was still available.

Provo Craft is basically marketing to crafters and people who are craftee. They are missing a large market out there of artists and paper engineers.

This is America and Provo Craft has every right to create their product as they wish, and they are excellently fullfilling the market for crafters. I would have to say that they may outshine the rest of the market in that area. However, the saying that you are only limited by your imagination is false advertising, that's what made me think I could actually design my own creations....totally my fault, I should have researched more.
I won't be spending lots of money on cartridges. I wait until there is a sale at Micheals or JoAnnes. I think I own about 9, and have found that I mostly use George and Basic Shapes. I am not an artists. Most artists would not be satisfied designing Brides boxes, popups using the shapes in George (as I have done).

I applaud Provo Craft for making Craft Room availble free of charge. I think that is a start in the right direction.

It may be in the future that they will develope an expensive svg program so that people can design and cut their own creations. Perhaps a start would be for them to research to see if there is a market and how much people would be willing to pay for such a product. If the product was something like Make the Cut or Sure Cuts a Lot, I would probably pay between 100 and 200. If I had to use it with cartridges, I would not purchase it.

1 user thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
george.l.barnes2de2dda3 on 10/26/2014(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:37:12 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

I went to the Cricut website today and the saying "Your results with the Cricut are only limited by your imagination." is still a claim. Cricut needs to qualify that by adding the word cartridges somewhere in there since the results are limited by the carts you own. It would be difficult to create a cat or bird from the Ornamental Iron 2 cartridge even if you could imagine it.

LOL.
 2 users thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
KylieHarbin on 12/22/2011(UTC), stigerdana33fea02c on 2/18/2014(UTC)
yanas_girl203e39ce Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:57:47 PM(UTC)
yanas_girl203e39ce

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This is disappointing. I was going to buy a Cricut as my very first cutting machine (I have a Cuttlebug, but this would be the first electronic one). My plan was to also buy Sure Cuts A Lot. Now I don't know. I may buy a Cricut, but I have $2,000+ of expensive design software (I'm a designer by trade) and would really like an electronic cutter that will let me cut some of my own designs. At least I haven't invested a fortune in Cricut cartridges yet, as a lot of posters have done. I really don't know what I'll end up doing, and I haven't ruled out Cricut, but whereas I was definitely headed out the door, money in hand, to buy a Cricut, I'm now thinking twice and am leaning toward buying a product that lets me use third party software.

I just want to tell ProvoCraft that I think this is pretty short-sighted. Consider your decision compared to Apple Computer's decision to use open-source software and *encourage* 3rd parties to use their skills and ideas to make iPods and iPhones and iPads and iMacs *even better* for all users. They *encouraged* innovation, rather than stifling it. That open source decision is what made Apple the industry leader. Third parties developed usedful applications ("aps") that people bought and became ever-more loyal to the Apple brand. Think about it: do you want an "MP3 player"??? NO! You want an *iPod.* They became the industry leader BECAUSE third parties developed software that made their products even better.

So, as someone who really is PC's target market (I have the disposable income to invest and I'm motivated to do so), here's the impression I'm getting:

Apple's philosophy: There's an Ap For That!

ProvoCraft's Philosophy: Someday-There-May-Be-An-Ap-That-We-Developed-And-Can-Make-Money-Selling-To-You-And-We-Won't-Let-Anyone-Try-To-Develop-A-Better-Product.

I just think there has to be a better way.
 6 users thanked yanas_girl203e39ce for this useful post.
MaryStillman on 11/25/2011(UTC), DaniellePeters on 11/27/2011(UTC), GypsyBoricua on 12/3/2011(UTC), KylieHarbin on 12/22/2011(UTC), torresme08da02174d on 11/30/2012(UTC), CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC)
jim3b0f6c36 Offline
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2011 1:55:11 PM(UTC)
jim3b0f6c36

to be honest ive always wanted a cricut.. ive looked at them for years but i wanted to use it for my own designs i create.
when i saw the design studio came out i told the wife i it is time to get one, she bought me the Expression last
xmas and then i went to buy the design studio and was so bummed you can't use your own design. i bought a few cartridges
but i ended putting the cricut im my closet.

then when i found 3rd party apps i bought make the cut, and ive made and bought svg files. i almost ran out to get a
cricut cake, when i found out about the lawsuit, and took a step back from that.

the funny thing is i didnt know there was few low cost cutters for the computer till after i bought my cricut and looked for
software to do what i wanted to do. I felt company loyalty for showing me what i can do with this technology but now after the
lawsuit, one can not use the software that expanded the use of the product.

As if my hp printer would not let me print with inkscape would i support them for limiting what one can do with hardware
i paid for? i think not.

i might not be the usual user of a cricut device, and they might not make the big bucks from me getting a extensive cartridge library.
But would have gotten my money buying more hardware and accessorizes for it.

now it looks like i can not support the company anymore, wile i am just one person. im sure there are more people that feel the way
i do. thanks for making a wonderful product im just sorry it will not work for what my needs are any more.

jim mottl
 4 users thanked jim3b0f6c36 for this useful post.
KylieHarbin on 12/22/2011(UTC), Sizzle on 5/11/2012(UTC), torresme08da02174d on 11/30/2012(UTC), CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2011 4:25:37 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Originally Posted by: jim3b0f6c36 Go to Quoted Post
to be honest ive always wanted a cricut.. ive looked at them for years but i wanted to use it for my own designs i create.
when i saw the design studio came out i told the wife i it is time to get one, she bought me the Expression last
xmas and then i went to buy the design studio and was so bummed you can't use your own design. i bought a few cartridges
but i ended putting the cricut im my closet.

then when i found 3rd party apps i bought make the cut, and ive made and bought svg files. i almost ran out to get a
cricut cake, when i found out about the lawsuit, and took a step back from that.

the funny thing is i didnt know there was few low cost cutters for the computer till after i bought my cricut and looked for
software to do what i wanted to do. I felt company loyalty for showing me what i can do with this technology but now after the
lawsuit, one can not use the software that expanded the use of the product.

As if my hp printer would not let me print with inkscape would i support them for limiting what one can do with hardware
i paid for? i think not.

i might not be the usual user of a cricut device, and they might not make the big bucks from me getting a extensive cartridge library.
But would have gotten my money buying more hardware and accessorizes for it.

now it looks like i can not support the company anymore, wile i am just one person. im sure there are more people that feel the way
i do. thanks for making a wonderful product im just sorry it will not work for what my needs are any more.

jim mottl

Jim, I think you can still use MTC it as long as it works with the firmware installed in your Cricut. I don't think that legally Provocraft can tell you you canot cut with Make the Cut. They can invalidate your Cricut warrenty if you use Make the Cut with your Cricut and MTC cannot provide you with IT support if you are using it to cut with your Cricut. I finally got my 3rd party software reinstalled and tried it with my Expression, and it still does work. I think the trick is not to update the firmware if MTC is working with your Cricut and not to update your version of MTC. Unfortunately, we are all saddled with only using the version of MTC that works, and eventually technology will out pace the software and it will no longer work with the operating platform (i.e. a newer version of Windows down the road). Hopefully our Cricuts will be worn out by then with many wonderful cutting both with purchased cartridges and with MTC, and it will be time to shop for a new machine.

I won't update the firmware on my Cricut since it does work with both Design Studio and MTC, and I will not update the software for MTC.

MTC most likely will not work with any of the newer Cricuts. My two Cricuts are over a year old. So, beware if you are hoping to purchase a new Cricut and cut with your old version of MTC. It probably will not work with the newer Cricuts.

Happy designing! Do you have your creations posted on the web anywhere?

Mary

Edited by user Saturday, December 03, 2011 4:57:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification

KylieHarbin on 12/22/2011(UTC)
donnagriffin0817bcd6f8f2 Offline
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:41:59 PM(UTC)
donnagriffin0817bcd6f8f2

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just purchased a Cricut Expression 2 and have purchased some cartridges that had desins I needed, but I also wanted to use my new Cricut to cut my own designs. I didn't realize until after I purchased the machine that Provo had put a stop to 3rd party software use with the Cricut machines. I will be returning my Cricut or selling on Ebay ASAP. My imagination is much larger than their cartridge base! Very, very disapointed as I was very excited to get this and start creating.
 2 users thanked donnagriffin0817bcd6f8f2 for this useful post.
torresme08da02174d on 11/30/2012(UTC), CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC)
stacye.whitee6ed98e9 Offline
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:54:09 PM(UTC)
stacye.whitee6ed98e9

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I do not have Making the Cut software, but I have read alot about it. It sounds divine to be able to import files and to be able to cut anything that you want out! Surely Provo Craft has realized that in order to make customers happy they must provide their own software to allow those features.
 1 user thanked stacye.whitee6ed98e9 for this useful post.
torresme08da02174d on 11/30/2012(UTC)
MikarahStudios Offline
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:08:41 AM(UTC)
MikarahStudios

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Dear Moderator's/Managers/Developers/and CEO,

I have unfortunately come to the same realization this morning, that most here have in this post...I am severely limited in my creative ability. After seeing what was available for cartridges, I thought I had made the correct cutter decision.

It has become crisply clear that "the money is in the cartridges". What limits my creativity....the cartridges. I have so much in my head I want to create, but would have to pay $30-$60 (per cartridge no less - new) to get only a small portion of that design on a cartridge and then cannot finish the rest of that design I envisioned because it simply doesn't exist. Nor does the means to use some well designed and adaptable software package that allows for such creativity to be expressed using your devices exist.

I am a photographer and stained glass artist. I had hopes of using this machine (Expression 2) for both of these arts, but as it stands now will only get 20% of the 100% usage from my CE2 that I had hoped for. I did a bit of research before purchasing my CE2, and was of the opinion I had made the correct decision. Now having further asked and researched the creativity issues I'm of the distinct opinion that I am limited to what Cricut comes up with and that's it. There is apparently no interaction on the customer level to influence, create, or request design types or styles from the developers themselves. This is not a difficult problem to overcome. It's simply a well thought out business decision.

I hate to say it, but it's my own fault. I had hoped for more from this innovative company, but am unfortunately left with not much else to say except "Bye, bye E2"! My ETSY business needs more than you are willing to provide for my customers, and I as a creator/owner cannot limit myself to only providing limited creativity for my clients/customers. I need a software package that lets me create virtually limitless designs. Something I'm more than willing to pay for, but do not see this company progressing without.

Ditch the plastic cartridges, make the designs digital and downloadable (no S/H, user gets the design faster, environmentally friendly), involve your customers in the creative design process (open source/use popular customer creations for future sale/make this software versatile so we can be blown away by the creativity that customers share with us and through your company can then become available for download to us) -bec. then and only then will it be "Limitless". Then I'll reconsider this company and it's products. But you need to listen to your patrons, there are too many examples of what happens when a business doesn't listen. When a business listens, it's fiscally obvious.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 08, 2012 12:48:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spell check

3 users thanked MikarahStudios for this useful post.
torresme08da02174d on 11/30/2012(UTC), CravNCraftN on 5/5/2013(UTC), looskeelooa6575540f on 5/29/2013(UTC)
Al Sposeto Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:21:41 PM(UTC)
Al Sposeto

Italy

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 40 post(s)
LOL I am glad I bought my E when I did (about 2 years ago). I also bought Design Studio and Sure Cuts A Lot. I use both for my designs and they work just fine. I understand protecting intellectual property, Apple has been doing from it inception. PCs are IBM based and now nobody even thinks about IBM because they were and open concept computer. You just have to do you homework before you buy something and make the best choice for what you want and what will support your needs. Some people don't want a science project, they just want to pick something and make a project that makes them happy. Not everybody is as creative in every way as others. It's called freedom of choice. I'm happy with my E.
My 3 cents worth.
 2 users thanked Al Sposeto for this useful post.
torresme08da02174d on 11/30/2012(UTC), Penlight☼ on 9/7/2014(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:39:57 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19161 time(s) in 8569 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MikarahStudios Go to Quoted Post
Dear Moderator's/Managers/Developers/and CEO,

I have unfortunately come to the same realization this morning, that most here have in this post...I am severely limited in my creative ability. After seeing what was available for cartridges, I thought I had made the correct cutter decision.

It has become crisply clear that "the money is in the cartridges". What limits my creativity....the cartridges. I have so much in my head I want to create, but would have to pay $30-$60 (per cartridge no less - new) to get only a small portion of that design on a cartridge and then cannot finish the rest of that design I envisioned because it simply doesn't exist. Nor does the means to use some well designed and adaptable software package that allows for such creativity to be expressed using your devices exist.

I am a photographer and stained glass artist. I had hopes of using this machine (Expression 2) for both of these arts, but as it stands now will only get 20% of the 100% usage from my CE2 that I had hoped for. I did a bit of research before purchasing my CE2, and was of the opinion I had made the correct decision. Now having further asked and researched the creativity issues I'm of the distinct opinion that I am limited to what Cricut comes up with and that's it. There is apparently no interaction on the customer level to influence, create, or request design types or styles from the developers themselves. This is not a difficult problem to overcome. It's simply a well thought out business decision.

I hate to say it, but it's my own fault. I had hoped for more from this innovative company, but am unfortunately left with not much else to say except "Bye, bye E2"! My ETSY business needs more than you are willing to provide for my customers, and I as a creator/owner cannot limit myself to only providing limited creativity for my clients/customers. I need a software package that lets me create virtually limitless designs. Something I'm more than willing to pay for, but do not see this company progressing without.

Ditch the plastic cartridges, make the designs digital and downloadable (no S/H, user gets the design faster, environmentally friendly), involve your customers in the creative design process (open source/use popular customer creations for future sale/make this software versatile so we can be blown away by the creativity that customers share with us and through your company can then become available for download to us) -bec. then and only then will it be "Limitless". Then I'll reconsider this company and it's products. But you need to listen to your patrons, there are too many examples of what happens when a business doesn't listen. When a business listens, it's fiscally obvious.

LOL

There are lots of software based cutters on the market. Many were there when PC developed the Cricut cartridge based cutter and more have been developed since. The Cricut fills a huge need/market in the crafting world. When every other cutter was software based, PC chose to go a different direction, forge a new path and create a cart based system, which has been very well received and successful. Why would they change and do what every other software cutter can do? Huh
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
torresme08da02174d on 12/2/2012(UTC)
torresme08da02174d Offline
#20 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 10:29:07 AM(UTC)
torresme08da02174d

Originally Posted by: kikiskorner Go to Quoted Post
I agree 100%. I just spent 2 1/2 hours creating a rhinestone design that would have taken me 5 minutes if I had used an outside program that has a rhinestone feature. I have considered buying another machine that would work with the other programs but I have a huge investment with Cricut and would never be able to get back what I've put into it.

How did you create a rhinestone design?
I was looking for a 3rd party to be able to customize my own design, since cricut doesn't allow you to do that. Sadly 3rd party have been sew and no longer are compatible with cricut.
fundivers5735c1db Offline
#21 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 9:49:16 AM(UTC)
fundivers5735c1db

Originally Posted by: Al Sposeto Go to Quoted Post
LOL I am glad I bought my E when I did (about 2 years ago). I also bought Design Studio and Sure Cuts A Lot. I use both for my designs and they work just fine. I understand protecting intellectual property, Apple has been doing from it inception. PCs are IBM based and now nobody even thinks about IBM because they were and open concept computer. You just have to do you homework before you buy something and make the best choice for what you want and what will support your needs. Some people don't want a science project, they just want to pick something and make a project that makes them happy. Not everybody is as creative in every way as others. It's called freedom of choice. I'm happy with my E.
My 3 cents worth.

Thats true but 7 years ago when i bought my cricut DS didn't exisisted. There was no choice of cutter as you have today. The seller told me, one day you will be able to use this with your computer. The day DS came out, i bought DS and i installed it on XP 32 bit computer. and everything works fine for me. Then i bought SCAL. And that was the top. Because at that time 3 years ago cricut didn't had a lot of choise in font cartridges.

So i believe you have to place everything in time. I love my cricut on XP computer.

I hate cricut on windows 7. I'm almost a year figuring out why it won't work for me.
And this is really frustrating.

I tried almost everything on this forum to get it work. And as a programmer and a designer i can tell that this is for me a bug in the system. With the latest update DS works fine on a windows 7 64 bit system. But in the driver for the original cricut and the firmware for the original cricut don't work as they have to work.

I even tried craft room. But i'm not turning off my security software. Knowing that my firewall allows input and output for craftroom. Still it isn't working.

So i know that i'm not the only one having those problem. And this frustrats me most that cricut developers theyselve are not helping out on there one product. Thats no service.

Seven years ago when i bought my cricut i couldn't forseen that this will be today the statements of cricut. So can you blame me, that i make a wrong choice seven years ago ?!?!?
Knowing that until today i still by cartridges and i'm looking forward to by the expression.

Because i still love the product. It's owesome. As long that my XP computer continues working.

So Please cricut developers i just ask you keep me satisfied and do something about the bugs.

Karin
GadgetGirl11 Offline
#22 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 12:28:54 AM(UTC)
GadgetGirl11

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Liking my new Cricut for simple things, and base shapes. I had been told third party programs were still working, as long as I did not update firmware after buying a new machine, but that was not the case. Looking forward to PC coming out with a way to draw or import my own images, so I can cut out my logo and packaging, and other designs of my own, so that I can make more original cuts. Having fun with some of the Cricut designs, but no matter what I do to a Create-a-Critter lamb, it still looks pretty much like everyone else's Create-a-Critter lamb. I would like an option for original work. Even allowing the option of creating and saving original artwork using simple 'pen' tools would open up options. All I can say is I really hope the company has plans for more creative software ... I'm bored already. Right now, this machine is a text and basic shapes cutter.
 1 user thanked GadgetGirl11 for this useful post.
Doxmom17 on 6/16/2013(UTC)
looskeelooa6575540f Offline
#23 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:49:10 PM(UTC)
looskeelooa6575540f

Hello,

Does any one know if I buy a new Cricut cartridge and use it on my Cricut will it make my Sure Cuts a Lot software stop working? My spouse said that there is no doubt that the card could be programmed to update the Cricut ROM or something like that when it was used but there would be no easy way to tell that it would do that unless someone tried it. That's not something that I am willing to risk because I'd rather continue to use my Cricut with the 3rd party software than to risk losing that ability. Since it was leaked that Cricut wasn't going to allow 3rd party software to be used on their machines any longer, I haven't bought any more cartridges nor have I had my spouse update the Cricut or the Sure Cuts a Lot software because apparently any of those three methods could invalidate the Sure Cuts a Lot software and without that... Luckily my spouse is a total computer wizard so I have backups of the working software and even some other 3rd party software that my spouse had downloaded for me when they first heard the rumors of the ban on 3rd party software. That's good but I'm so spoiled that the best thing that actually came out of this whole thing was a brand spanking new Silhouette that I absolutely love but I still use my Cricut once in a while too.

I apologize for rambling on here, many family and friends have wondered why my emails have gotten so long! I blame it on my spouse buying me a new computer and Dragon Naturally Speaking speech recognition/dictation software--my fingers never hurt from typing any more, it's really amazing software IMHO! Let me pose my question once more since it probably got lost in the lengthy paragraph above.

If I buy a new Cricut cartridge and use it on my Cricut will it make my Sure Cuts a Lot software stop working?

Thank you all for taking the time to read and possibly respond to my message here! Here's to hoping you all have a wonderful day today and for all tomorrows!

Happy scrapping and all the best!
looskeelooa6575540f
Wub Love
MaryStillman Offline
#24 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:13:51 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Originally Posted by: looskeelooa6575540f Go to Quoted Post
Hello,If I buy a new Cricut cartridge and use it on my Cricut will it make my Sure Cuts a Lot software stop working?

Thank you all for taking the time to read and possibly respond to my message here! Here's to hoping you all have a wonderful day today and for all tomorrows!

Happy scrapping and all the best!
looskeelooa6575540f
Wub Love

I believe that if you update the cricut machine firmware, the update will not work with SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot). However, I'm not sure. Your SCAL should still work with your Cameo because updating the Cricut does not do anything to SCAL. I got rid of my Expression and just have the mini now which does not work with SCAL at all, so I don't know the for sure answer. You can always do some exploring on the SCAL forum and ask if SCAL works with the most updated Cricut firmware.

Mary
looskeelooa6575540f on 5/30/2013(UTC)
looskeelooa6575540f Offline
#25 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:06:02 AM(UTC)
looskeelooa6575540f

Originally Posted by: MaryStillman Go to Quoted Post
I believe that if you update the cricut machine firmware, the update will not work with SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot). However, I'm not sure. Your SCAL should still work with your Cameo because updating the Cricut does not do anything to SCAL. I got rid of my Expression and just have the mini now which does not work with SCAL at all, so I don't know the for sure answer. You can always do some exploring on the SCAL forum and ask if SCAL works with the most updated Cricut firmware.

Mary

Thank you so very much Mary, I really do appreciate your response! Have a great evening and all great tomorrows!
Time3c5a416d Offline
#26 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:55:28 AM(UTC)
Time3c5a416d

I have personally seen the ads on tv read the reviews and so on. They are misleading they make you think you can create your own designs. Just because they want you to spend shit loads of money on there carts doesn't mean you have to hell the software is still out there with a little search you can find full version of the 3rd party soft free there are ways around there stupidity. I am one to say who gives a dam if I void warranty I got on for $70 as long as it works for my use. They don't like the fact you are not paying there artist for there jap/china designs. I looked into this system for Airbrush tattoo and there designs are ok but I can make better ones my self. Screw Cursing and make your system more useable and stop misleading.
stigerdana33fea02c Offline
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:09:26 AM(UTC)
stigerdana33fea02c

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Here's a thought PC.... why not offer all of your images INDIVIDUALLY for a cost? You know... like you do with the newest Cricut machine. I have a Cricut Personal and refuse to invest the $ into buying a new one just so that PC can profit from me again by offering cuts that we all know are capable of getting from the machines we already own! Why does PC not see the light here and offer their own version of the 3rd party software????? That seems like a win-win to me!! I can honestly say that my next cutting machine WILL NOT BE A CRICUT!!! I DO NOT LIKE THE HAND TYING TACTICS OF PROVO CRAFT!!Mad Mad Mad
GypsyBoricua Offline
#28 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:57:31 AM(UTC)
GypsyBoricua

Was thanked: 872 time(s) in 480 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stigerdana33fea02c Go to Quoted Post
Here's a thought PC.... why not offer all of your images INDIVIDUALLY for a cost? You know... like you do with the newest Cricut machine. I have a Cricut Personal and refuse to invest the $ into buying a new one just so that PC can profit from me again by offering cuts that we all know are capable of getting from the machines we already own! Why does PC not see the light here and offer their own version of the 3rd party software????? That seems like a win-win to me!! I can honestly say that my next cutting machine WILL NOT BE A CRICUT!!! I DO NOT LIKE THE HAND TYING TACTICS OF PROVO CRAFT!!Mad Mad Mad

Actually, PC has stated that the subscription service for the new software will also be available for CCR, so you will be able to purchase individual images.
stigerdana33fea02c Offline
#29 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 5:07:32 AM(UTC)
stigerdana33fea02c

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Quote:
Actually, PC has stated that the subscription service for the new software will also be available for CCR, so you will be able to purchase individual images.

Wow! I really hope that is true!!! BigGrin It drives me nuts to have to purchase an entire cartridge for one or two images.

Edited by user Friday, February 21, 2014 5:08:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ArizonaNorse Offline
#30 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2014 1:57:02 PM(UTC)
ArizonaNorse

Well, I'm trying to find individual images this weekend for CCR, and all I can get is full cartridge sets. CCR online is no more. So I guess Cricut is going to lose another customer since they've already stopped supporting the (very expensive) Cricut Imagine.Angry