Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

NewfyMom Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:45:56 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 126 post(s)
Okay so I really miss having a photo gallery. I like being able to see what one user has done as a collection. So here is my proposal. Start a new thread, name it with your MB name and Photo Gallery. When you make a new project just comment to your photo gallery. This way if you have a project that helps answer someone else's question later you can just send them to your photo gallery. I don't know if this will work but I'm going to try it!
NewfyMom attached the following image(s):
4th July.jpg
Dream Create Fly.jpg
IMG_2242 compressed.jpg
IMG_2238 compressed.jpg
IMG_2324 compressed.jpg
IMG_4635.JPG
IMG_4691.JPG
IMG_4770.JPG
IMG_4781.JPG
 2 users thanked NewfyMom for this useful post.
rhondah* on 5/14/2011(UTC), Steelwillow on 3/23/2012(UTC)
NewfyMom Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:54:58 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

How to do cards w/ a big Yudu.

I did a little photo group of how I laid out my platen for a group of posters and cards. I put multiple images on my screen...this one is the phrase in different sizes for poster, magnet and card set. Then I taped off the one I wanted to pull. For the cards I checked for alignment by putting the paper under the screen and centered it then taped off the edges so I would put each card in that place. I also had a extra piece of tape that held the card in one place. The tape was very small so I didn't rip my paper.

Edited by user Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:00:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

IMG_4782.JPG
IMG_4784.JPG
IMG_4783.JPG
IMG_4780.JPG
KimS Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:56:48 PM(UTC)
KimS

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Great idea!! And can I say I love all the shirts that you have made!!! Hubby just left to go and get my YUDU!!!!BigGrin
NewfyMom Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:58:49 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

YAY!! I think we should have little badges...like girl scouts...for all the PC product that we use!! Have a great time! Let me know if you need any help. BigGrin

I'm planning on making little chicky bags for Easter. I wonder if we can silkscreen yarn. LOL

Edited by user Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:03:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CraftyKitchen Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:41:20 PM(UTC)
CraftyKitchen

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Those are gorgeous Newfy!! How do you get such great results on black shirts? Is it the ink your using?
MandyM Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 11:40:09 AM(UTC)
MandyM

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Awesome! I got one yesterday..I can't wait to try it out!
NewfyMom Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 11:50:36 AM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Yay! Mandy-Can't wait to see what you make! Don't forget. There's a learning curve. Holler if you need help.

Crafty, White on black is just tough and I've gotten lucky. I'm using Speedball because it's cheap and I pull 4-5 times w/o lifting the screen. The landseer newf (black and white)actually had a bit of a edge on the white. Again I just got lucky. I've had others that didn't come out that sharp.
CraftyKitchen Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 8:38:05 PM(UTC)
CraftyKitchen

I learned fairly quickly last night that the Yudu inks are NOT opaque enough for dark shirts. I bought some Speedball inks today, hopefully I will have better luck!
NewfyMom Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2011 10:21:29 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

I have to say I am a huge fan of the Yudu inks. I like how thick they are and they blend so well. I just can't afford the price for 2oz bottles. Especially when you can get 6oz speedball for a fraction of the price. I hear Jaquard is great also. I just haven't gotten any yet.
CraftyKitchen Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:07:57 AM(UTC)
CraftyKitchen

On your "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster, is that Yudu white or Speedball white? I had great success yesterday using Speedball Opaque "Pearly" white on a black shirt. I have an unopened bottle of Yudu white an I don't know how it will work on colors like red or a darker pink.
NewfyMom Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:57:24 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

I wanna say it's speedball. I think. Blushing
Steelwillow Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:03:39 PM(UTC)
Steelwillow

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
What's your secret to lining up the images when your using more than one color? Mine seem to always be a little off.
BigGrin
NewfyMom Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:47:22 AM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Weird...my long typed answer blipped. Forgive me if I repeat myself.

This is a really long answer and frankly I just don't do a lot of two and three color because it's really a pain w/ the Yudu. It's the weakest link on this machine. BUT a lot of it has to do with user error (mine) as well. Princessaam may know more than I do. You may want to post this question as a new thread to see if you can get her attention. BigGrin

I have two answers for you. 1. Use registration marks on your transparency. Registration marks are small crosses in the corner of multiple transparencies on all four corners of your images about 1" away from your image. Each color has it's own layer and you will enjoy haveing a screen for each color. Print your images on transparency. Line up crosses starting with bottom layer tape to light table. Cont. to tape each layer, moving your tape slightly so they aren't on top of the layer below. You MUST line up the registration marks perfectly. Now flip all but the bottom transparency, burn and remove transparency and screen. Flip down the next layer, place new screen, burn and repeat for all your layers. Check finished screens all your registration marks still in line. You may need to hold them up to a light to look through the registration marks. They must be perfect or it will be milimeters off and give you a blurred picture look. Tape off registrations marks before you pull or use your blackout.

2. Shim your lid up. Go slow and careful. look for the light through your screen as you lower your lid just over the tshirt. Make sure your shirt is totally secure so when you lift your lid it doesn't come with it. Put your lid down (without ink) and give it a little wiggle...can you see your edge...then you aren't aligned. Play with it and when you give up just go for it. Even the PC employees who had the Beta said they would like to see the lid tightened and have less play.

Shims can be wood working biscuits, rolled up paper, anything that will take the play out of the lid.

If I had to modify or improve the Yudu...
I would take the play out of the lid
I would have pegs for landscape and portrait
I would have a faux platen that would have placement for cards. It would create the depth of the platen and have a very slight edges to hold the cards.
I would make the fan stronger, so it would dry a screen. *sorry girls but the fan just isn't strong enough* grab your hair dryer.

Hope this helps. Multiple color is not for beginners!! I hate it personally. See my Newf...all black!! LOL BigGrin

Edited by user Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:09:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked NewfyMom for this useful post.
Steelwillow on 4/16/2011(UTC)
NewfyMom Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 10:22:48 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Here's one for the kiddos.

Rainbows are made by dropping blops of ink colors in a row, across the shirt and pull to flood and pull to print. You can move your squeege left to right for a more marbled look. I love greens and white together. These are a mix of speedball and Yudu inks. I love all the great colors Yudu has. Speedball has more primary colors easily available.

IMG_4261.JPG
Steelwillow Offline
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 6:43:49 PM(UTC)
Steelwillow

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NewfyMom Go to Quoted Post
Weird...my long typed answer blipped. Forgive me if I repeat myself.

This is a really long answer and frankly I just don't do a lot of two and three color because it's really a pain w/ the Yudu. It's the weakest link on this machine. BUT a lot of it has to do with user error (mine) as well. Princessaam may know more than I do. You may want to post this question as a new thread to see if you can get her attention. BigGrin

I have two answers for you. 1. Use registration marks on your transparency. Registration marks are small crosses in the corner of multiple transparencies on all four corners of your images about 1" away from your image. Each color has it's own layer and you will enjoy haveing a screen for each color. Print your images on transparency. Line up crosses starting with bottom layer tape to light table. Cont. to tape each layer, moving your tape slightly so they aren't on top of the layer below. You MUST line up the registration marks perfectly. Now flip all but the bottom transparency, burn and remove transparency and screen. Flip down the next layer, place new screen, burn and repeat for all your layers. Check finished screens all your registration marks still in line. You may need to hold them up to a light to look through the registration marks. They must be perfect or it will be milimeters off and give you a blurred picture look. Tape off registrations marks before you pull or use your blackout.

2. Shim your lid up. Go slow and careful. look for the light through your screen as you lower your lid just over the tshirt. Make sure your shirt is totally secure so when you lift your lid it doesn't come with it. Put your lid down (without ink) and give it a little wiggle...can you see your edge...then you aren't aligned. Play with it and when you give up just go for it. Even the PC employees who had the Beta said they would like to see the lid tightened and have less play.

Shims can be wood working biscuits, rolled up paper, anything that will take the play out of the lid.

If I had to modify or improve the Yudu...
I would take the play out of the lid
I would have pegs for landscape and portrait
I would have a faux platen that would have placement for cards. It would create the depth of the platen and have a very slight edges to hold the cards.
I would make the fan stronger, so it would dry a screen. *sorry girls but the fan just isn't strong enough* grab your hair dryer.

Hope this helps. Multiple color is not for beginners!! I hate it personally. See my Newf...all black!! LOL BigGrin

Thanks, that really helps. I figured that you'd have to use registration marks, it's that darn wiggle that gets me. Luckily I also have a black dog - Hovawart (they actually have Newfoundland in their backround).
Thanks again, your work is beautiful.Drool

Mary
 1 user thanked Steelwillow for this useful post.
NewfyMom on 4/16/2011(UTC)
NewfyMom Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2011 9:58:27 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

BTT
KimberlyGrommes Offline
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:33:15 PM(UTC)
KimberlyGrommes

Hi! I love how your cards turned out, but I'm confused. Did you just tape your card down on the platen? (rather than using the adhesive that is on it?) And did you use any certain kind of paper or anything? The ink seemed to go beyond the burned area of the screen, but in kind of weird ways. I was using some cardstock. (The t-shirt I made turned out really adorable with that same screen. BigGrin )
NewfyMom Offline
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:05:12 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Hi Kimberly, welcome to the board!

Hopefully I'll catch all the questions.
Yes, I used regular cheappy cardstock. I use J's house brand, $2-$3 for 50 12x12 pages. I LOVE that stuff. It's my go to paper.

I think you are saying that YOU did some prints on paper and it came out wonky...Yes?

It sounds like you over flooded your screen. When you flood a screen you put a bead of ink across the top and then very lightly do a pass to make sure that your ink covers your screen print. Then you bring the lid down and pull your image. If you use too much pressure when you flood you will push the ink through your screen before you pull your print....SO....it gets smashed under your screen and creates a weird, outside my print look. You may also see 'O' an 'e' are filled in.

Flood your screen and then look under your screen....do you see ink coming through....if you do, you have "over flooded" your screen. You'll want to wash out your screen (after you recover your ink, of course) and start again.

As far as the cards....Yes, that was what I was trying to show in the pics. I don't use the adhesive mat on my Yudu, ever. But absolutely not for paper. It is meant for fabric. The tape you see is only a boarder or perameter for the card. There are four sides of tape and card is put inbetween the lines. There is one little piece that I was taping down my card with. It was really just for placement. Once the screen is down, for me, nothing is moving.

As far as not using my platen. I didn't like trying to get my shirt off with wet ink. I am too impatient and when you are doing multiple shirts it would take too long. I lay a shirt down on my platen. There is a tape marker for the label in the neck. I tuck sleeves under the platen and pull my shirt. I used this method as the craft station at the church camp out last summer and we had over 20 shirts pulled by Yudu newbies. I had no issues with slipage and we were able to move through the shirts at a rate of about 3 mins per shirt. Line up, flood, close lid, pull print, pull off shirt. I do put some paper inside my shirt so we don't have ink bleed through. The same paper is removed and used to iron the print. We had a blast.

Hope that makes sense. I don't really know how to make a video and am relunctant to do it. Just remember that you can see through your emulsion so it's easy to line up your card and mark off your area. Just remember to do all your set up before you tape off your screen. I always forget.
rhondah* Offline
#19 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2011 5:19:11 PM(UTC)
rhondah*

United States

Was thanked: 16847 time(s) in 9374 post(s)
Fabulous shirts! TFS
NewfyMom Offline
#20 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 10:14:49 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

For CraftyKitchen. Have fun!
NewfyMom Offline
#21 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:04:25 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

BTT