Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Rozette Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 9:47:13 PM(UTC)
Rozette

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I am trying to do my first yudu screen. The first emulsion, I think was too dry because the clear plastic came up easy but when I tried to burn the screen, nothing happened.

Now I am doing my second emulsion sheet and I don't know when it will be ready. I looked at the video but it was no help...it doesn't show you the screen up close when it is done.
Rozette Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:27:27 PM(UTC)
Rozette

Ok I did it wrong again...this time the emulsion started to wash off in some parts...so do I have to clean the screen with emulsion remover before I can try again?
Princessaam Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:04:16 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 196 post(s)
YES! New Screens should always be cleaned with Soap and water before using. The have manufacturing oils on them that need to be removed. USe the Spray bottle trick to apply your emulsion. Also, you shoudl have had SOME reaction on your first screen, no matter if it was wet or dry.

~M
 1 user thanked Princessaam for this useful post.
Dotgirl on 6/5/2013(UTC)
NewfyMom Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:32:39 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 126 post(s)
In the FAQs I talk about using a smaller piece of emulsion. I only say that because its so typical to need to try 2-3 times before you figure out the film. There is a learning curve to it. I am so sorry you lost two screens. Bummer.

On the film, you know it's dry when the clear top layer, removes easily. When it isn't completely dry the plastic will stick and sometimes pull the emulsion off. There isn't too dry once it's on your screen and before you burn. In fact you can use your dryer rack as a storage place for your prepped screens. I've stored them for weeks with emulsion that hasn't been burned yet.

Keep going. This is the reason why others have wanted to chuck the Yudu out the window. I keep saying that this is not an "out of the box" toy. Frankly, I think the video down plays, too much, the complexity of using film. This is also why you may want to experiment with liquid emulsion. It's a LOT cheaper, dries quickly and if you do screw it up it a LOT cheaper. Hmmmm, am I repeating myself. Film-$10 per screen Liquid- .60 cents per screen

Check out the FAQs for the liquid emulsion. You have instructions how to use it and the picture of the bottles you are looking for. Since it's not a PC thing you can use a coupon for it at Ms.
 1 user thanked NewfyMom for this useful post.
Dotgirl on 6/5/2013(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2011 7:14:01 PM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12577 time(s) in 5050 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NewfyMom Go to Quoted Post
In the FAQs I talk about using a smaller piece of emulsion. I only say that because its so typical to need to try 2-3 times before you figure out the film. There is a learning curve to it. I am so sorry you lost two screens. Bummer.

On the film, you know it's dry when the clear top layer, removes easily. When it isn't completely dry the plastic will stick and sometimes pull the emulsion off. There isn't too dry once it's on your screen and before you burn. In fact you can use your dryer rack as a storage place for your prepped screens. I've stored them for weeks with emulsion that hasn't been burned yet.

Keep going. This is the reason why others have wanted to chuck the Yudu out the window. I keep saying that this is not an "out of the box" toy. Frankly, I think the video down plays, too much, the complexity of using film. This is also why you may want to experiment with liquid emulsion. It's a LOT cheaper, dries quickly and if you do screw it up it a LOT cheaper. Hmmmm, am I repeating myself. Film-$10 per screen Liquid- .60 cents per screenCheck out the FAQs for the liquid emulsion. You have instructions how to use it and the picture of the bottles you are looking for. Since it's not a PC thing you can use a coupon for it at Ms.

I wanted to post this sooo badly, but as a newbie, I was afraid to but I absolutely agree!!! It makes the cost of experimenting go way down and it works everytime! And now that I use a blow dryer to speed the drying time (thanks to the expertise on this forum!!!), it is super quick (like 5 minutes to dry kind of quick!!!).

You do have to make a small ($35) investment in a scoop coater and a screen stand, but that is a one-time investment. You buy the direct (liquid) emulsion by the pint for $16 and you have enough to play with (20 to 30 screens) and really get to try stuff out! I have been going to town and trying all kinds of things and I would not be able to afford to experiment if it cost me $10 for each screen-- plus (not to repeat myself) this stuff works everytime!!!!!

I really wish PC would sell this stuff instead of the capilary sheets. I totally agree with NewfyMom because as I have posted my projects on the Circle MB and my blog, I hear over and over again that failures with the sheets are why crafters aren't using their Yudus. Such a shame because this is actually an awesome machine with so many possibilities!

Edited by user Sunday, June 26, 2011 7:18:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NewfyMom Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:20:12 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Agreed Nadia.

I don't use a scoop coater or a screen stand. I'm WAY too cheap! I use the plastic squeege that came with the Yudu. I put a bead of emulsion across the bottom (I DO use the $1 Ketchup bottle) and pull up add more as needed- not too much a little goes a long way- Then flip over my screen and scape the back. Hit it with the blow dryer and you can see it set up. Voila

Edited by user Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:20:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#7 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 4:32:19 AM(UTC)

United States

Originally Posted by: NewfyMom Go to Quoted Post
Agreed Nadia.

I don't use a scoop coater or a screen stand. I'm WAY too cheap! I use the plastic squeege that came with the Yudu. I put a bead of emulsion across the bottom (I DO use the $1 Ketchup bottle) and pull up add more as needed- not too much a little goes a long way- Then flip over my screen and scape the back. Hit it with the blow dryer and you can see it set up. Voila

Gotta question for you: when you use the hair dryer, do you use it on 'high'? I have been but the emulsion seems a little harder to remove now and I was wondering if they might be why.

Wow- love your idea on the squeeze bottle and plastic squeege!!!!!!! Do you just put the screen on the Yudu to do it?
Princessaam Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 7:30:09 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Ketchup bottle and the squeegee here and I use the bathtub to coat my screens in. You CANNOT apply liquid emulsion to a FLAT screen it must be upright... at an angle is good.

Use the hair dryer on low... and then when you use remover... just give it more time ( NEVER letting it dry on the screen) and use HOT water to clean... I also use a nonscratch scrubby while rinsing.

~M
 1 user thanked Princessaam for this useful post.
Rozette Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:40:10 AM(UTC)
Rozette

Thanks for all the advice. Thankfully I only ruined one emulsion sheet because I did cut one in half. However I have no way to remove the emulsion sheet from my yudu because I cannot find any emulsion remover. So I went online to that yudu aftermarket website and bought some emulsion remover, liquid emulsion and the scooper thing for emulsion.

You guys mentioned low dryer setting. Is that low and cool or low and warm?
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:50:49 AM(UTC)

United States

Originally Posted by: RozetteakaFluffy Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for all the advice. Thankfully I only ruined one emulsion sheet because I did cut one in half. However I have no way to remove the emulsion sheet from my yudu because I cannot find any emulsion remover. So I went online to that yudu aftermarket website and bought some emulsion remover, liquid emulsion and the scooper thing for emulsion.

You guys mentioned low dryer setting. Is that low and cool or low and warm?

I think I will be using the cool button on mine from now on-- but having the air shoot out fast is not really a problem, so if you have a cool and high setting, I think that would be the way to go.

I was just using the hottest setting and that was making it really hard to remove the emulsion, even with the scrubber. Definitely going cool from now on!BigGrin
NewfyMom Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:43:26 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Ya know I'm just not that careful. Flapper For me...it's all been pretty forgiving. I use high but I try not to be too close. Heat melts/softens the emulsion, that's why you rinse with cool water. So I use my high setting but I'm 6-8" away from my screen. That being said I have cheap hair dryers so I guess it kinda depends on how Hot is on the High setting.
lady.jay13729e74107 Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2012 4:19:02 PM(UTC)
lady.jay13729e74107

oh no! I have a yudo and i have yet to make ANY designs Nothing seems to come out properly. i just tried to use the machine today just to see if I finally got the hang of it but I guess I dont because when i went to wash out the bright green area of the picture the emulsion started stretching :( any tips ?