Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:43:21 PM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12567 time(s) in 5048 post(s)
So, I have had my Cuttlebug forever. I use it for all kinds of things related to embossing but never cutting...until I got my quilling kits! The dies have cut their impressions into a B plate. I am assuming this is normal and expected, but now that I have my new long (and expensive) plates, I want to be sure this is right before I cut with those.

Please forgive my super-basic question!!! Just want to be sure!

1 user thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
Emerald on 6/27/2011(UTC)
Breezy♥Bell Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:36:19 PM(UTC)
Breezy♥Bell

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 763 time(s) in 754 post(s)
The impressions are normal. Wink
 2 users thanked Breezy♥Bell for this useful post.
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com on 6/23/2011(UTC), Emerald on 6/27/2011(UTC)
LoveIsInTheDetails Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 9:23:14 AM(UTC)
LoveIsInTheDetails

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Oh my word, how crazy, I just came to ask this exact question! I have had my cuttlebug for a few years, but just used it to cut 1 thing for the first time and it completely marked my be plate so I was afraid I did something wrong. Now I understand why they sell replacement plates, I alwasy wondered because after all my use mine "were" all still in perfect condition :) Andrea
Sara Andrews1 Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 10:05:29 AM(UTC)
Sara Andrews1

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 27506 time(s) in 7140 post(s)
While we're asking dumb questions~ how did you get your quilling die to work?
Because you don't want to do it the way I did, trust me!!

How did you place yours with the layers? My Cuttlebug did not come with a C plate, so I had a difficult time making mine thick enough to cut. I wish the instructions were better because I created a mess!

And if I'm understanding you all it's not totally wrong to have the cut impression in my B plate?
 1 user thanked Sara Andrews1 for this useful post.
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2011 6:02:18 PM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

United States

Was thanked: 12567 time(s) in 5048 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SaraAndrews1 Go to Quoted Post
While we're asking dumb questions~ how did you get your quilling die to work?
Because you don't want to do it the way I did, trust me!!

How did you place yours with the layers? My Cuttlebug did not come with a C plate, so I had a difficult time making mine thick enough to cut. I wish the instructions were better because I created a mess!

And if I'm understanding you all it's not totally wrong to have the cut impression in my B plate?

I basically started with Sarah Martina's instructions and then didn't layer them the way she did. I cannot seem to find her post, but I did find this one that actually has more info: http://www.craftcritique.com/2010/11/cuttlebug-quilling-kit.html You will need to run the dies through the Cuttlebug with the plates on this order: A on the bottom, then C, then the paper and die (with the printed side facing up), then a B. If you don't have the long plates, just the ones that came with your machine, you will have to place the dies diagonally on the plates.

Also- just found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF6w-8qDfcY&feature=related Hope that helps!

Yes, apparently, the B plate is supposed to get marred with the impression of dies as you cut according to the answers here so I take it as a yes.BigGrin I have been taking care that the same one gets marred each time but I don't know why -- I guess at least one will still be perfect. LOL

I still need lots of practice on the quilling kits!

Edited by user Monday, June 27, 2011 6:17:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
Sara Andrews1 on 6/27/2011(UTC)
MamaC2 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:39:10 AM(UTC)
MamaC2

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1756 post(s)
Not only will the B plate get impressions cut into it, it will eventually bow (bend)! There is a lot of life in each B plate, but it may break one day. Here are some hints when cutting...

**To increase the life of the B plate, turn it over every time you use it. Don't run it through with the right side up all the time.

**Use one B plate for embossing and another for cutting. If you emboss with the same plate that you cut with, you may eventually get the cut-up surface imprinted in your project.

**Never turn the cutting edge of the dies toward your C plate, you will imprint it too! Always use the B plate next to the cutting edges of the dies

**It was suggested to use this particular "sandwich" when cutting...A plate, B plate, paper, die, B plate. I was told that by cutting with the sharp edges toward the bottom of the sandwich that the B plates will last longer and not bow as much

**Keep an extra set of B plates on hand...you never know when you will need another one!

**Now that the C Plate is so hard to find, you better get two when you find them!BigGrin

4 users thanked MamaC2 for this useful post.
Sara Andrews1 on 6/28/2011(UTC), Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com on 6/28/2011(UTC), ihuggTrees on 9/19/2011(UTC), CrafteerMisadventures on 8/13/2012(UTC)
Dragonfly50 Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:29:45 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1221 time(s) in 728 post(s)
After a while the old plates will leave marks on your paper so I use my old ones to put the embossing folders in. That way my new plates won't get used so much they bow or break before I've cut a lot. FYI I've only had one break it was old and I think that was user error. I got lots of extra ones with 40-50% coupons and I'm glad I did. Our Joann's doesn't carry them anymore. Our Michaels does.
 2 users thanked Dragonfly50 for this useful post.
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com on 7/2/2011(UTC), Sara Andrews1 on 7/23/2012(UTC)
DebbieKelly3 Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 4:12:13 PM(UTC)
DebbieKelly3

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I noticed today that one of my B plates was warped. Can't figure out why a thick plastic plate can warp. Thanks Mama C for your tips, wished I saw them earlier! I am now searching for a good deal on B plates.
 2 users thanked DebbieKelly3 for this useful post.
MamaC2 on 7/10/2011(UTC), Sara Andrews1 on 7/23/2012(UTC)
Brendanc Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 12:35:59 AM(UTC)
Brendanc

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I too was wondering about the impresstions left on the plates. Glad i am not alone. lol Didn't realise you could turn the plates over. Thanks for the tips.
 2 users thanked Brendanc for this useful post.
Sara Andrews1 on 7/23/2012(UTC), MamaC2 on 7/23/2012(UTC)