Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ms. Devan Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:07:40 PM(UTC)
Ms. Devan

Groups: Registered
United States

I am starting my first year of teaching art next year and have also just bought my first Cricut machine! I purchased an Expression and have been having fun designing in the Craft Room while I wait for it to arrive. This board has been so helpful in getting ideas. I already have a list of things I want to try! My machine is coming with three cartridges: Luau, 3 Birds on Parade, and Graduation. I know the Graduation one will come in handy but I was wondering what other cartridges you have used that work really well for school. I have been checking out mycutsearch.com but I figured it is best to ask the experts! So... what cartridges and fonts would be great school starters? One of my co-teachers this past year had an original Cricut so I have plenty of practice using the machine and can't wait to have my own. Thanks for any ideas, I look forward to being a part of the Cricut community!

Ms. Devan
Cricut Your Classroom Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, January 09, 2012 5:49:17 AM(UTC)
Cricut Your Classroom

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Love
Hello Ms. Devan!!!

I think Makin' the Grade is a wonderful cartridge to have-this cartridge has been discontinued but if you look you can probably find it. Locker Talk is also another fantastic cartridge, My world, My community, and Recess Lite cartridge are all fantastic cartridges to own. I use most of them quite often in my classroom. I teach 3rd grade and my Cricut comes in handy all of the time. As a matter of fact, I have had several teachers in my buidling get hooked on Cricut!!! Once you use it in the classroom you can't imagine thinking of anything else to use. It is a wonderful die cutting machine that is so versitle. Good luck with teaching and have fun with your Cricut. :)

http://Cricutyourclassroom.com

Wendy
 1 user thanked Cricut Your Classroom for this useful post.
Ms. Devan on 1/12/2012(UTC)
Ms. Devan Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:45:24 PM(UTC)
Ms. Devan

United States

Wendy-

Thanks for your reply! BigGrin I too had looked at the Makin' the Grade cart and was sad to see it had been discontinued. I'll keep an eye out for it though :) I just know that I'm going to get tons of use out of the Cricut. The last straw for me was cutting 12" display letters for THE WHOLE SCHOOL a couple of weeks ago... by hand, with no manual die cutting press. I had been looking at the Cricut for quite some time and I couldn't be happier that I finally took the plunge. It is going to make all the little tasks that fall to the art teacher so much easier!

Since you have been so helpful already, I was hoping you could answer some other questions for me. I'm new at this! What makes a lite cart different? By browsing the Cricut website and eBay I can tell that some carts have images and a font, while others just have images. Are these considered lite? Or is there something else that distinguishes them? Also, while I was looking on eBay, some people selling carts said that it had been linked to a Gypsy. Would this impact my use of the cart at all? I'm guessing by linking they can still use that cart without physically having it in the machine?

The Cricut is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our Wisconsin snowstorm doesn't hold it up. I have a three day weekend set aside for cutting!

Devan
Terriski Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 8:06:26 AM(UTC)
Terriski

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 901 time(s) in 557 post(s)
Not sure what age group your teaching but 3 Birds is awesome - it has tons of different themes for the bird, ex. Holidays, football/cheerleading, graduation, it also has like a princess bird/king, baby. It is my go to cartridge.

Depending on the age - Create a Critter is fun for smaller kids
Also Everyday Paper Dolls and/or Paper Doll Dress up is fun.

Another good one is 50 states. You can cut out each state w/ or w/o the capital marked, the bird, flower, flag, and the actual state name.

Art Philosophy - is good for tons of basic shapes, Circles, squares, ovals, etc. It also has a card function and a nice font that has both upper and lower case. You can also make 3D flowers with it. So overall that is a nice one but you have to purchase that from a Close to my heart consultant.

FYI the difference between a lite and a "full" cartridge is the amount of images on each one. Most of the lite cartridges were sold via Walmart. There is also what is called a solution cartridge which has very limited images on them. If your looking to get the most for your buck - I'd suggest getting a full cartridge. The full cartridges normally have 6 "function" keys - for example. ON 3 birds it has 6 functions: Which would include layer 1 and layer 2, shadow function, font, font shadow, and phrases.
Most of the lites have just a few function features maybe a layer and a shadow or layers and a font.

LIkewise you will see cartyridges for the Cake machine - they will also work in the machine.

Good Luck. There are tons of great cartridges. It just really depends on what your looking for age, projects etc.

Edited by user Friday, January 13, 2012 8:15:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TulipCollector Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 8:41:33 AM(UTC)
TulipCollector

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 7222 time(s) in 2516 post(s)
Art Philosophy - I think this is a must have for any NEW collection you can do so much with it
Locker Talk - has stuff from preschool to college
50 States - remember you get 50 birds and 50 flowers with this invaluable cartridge!!! Plus the states.
Both Paperdolls - so many different cuts even if you never make a doll!
Designer Calendar - something for every month
Mickey Font - my favorite font and I have most of them!!
Walk in My Garden has lots of flowers, leaves and bugs

I think these would give you a variety.
TRice Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 8:31:25 PM(UTC)
TRice

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I agree with the other posters Art Philosohy is my new favorite! I also use these a lot too:
*create-a-critter
*paper dolls ( I only have everyday but am thing about getting dress-up too)
*simply charmed
*recess lite
*doodlecharms
*my community
*locker talk
*potpourri basket (I had to purchase it on e-bay)
*hello kitty font (great bubble letters)
*winnie the pooh font

I don't have makin' the grade, but I did see it for sale still on Cricut.com. Definitely check out Wendy's blog -she has great ideas! Good luck and be sure to post pictures of he things you make!

Tiffany
http://sparkledmemories.blogspot.com
Khrista Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 9:53:15 PM(UTC)
Khrista

United States

Was thanked: 2510 time(s) in 1398 post(s)
Lots listed :) Making the Grade is still often at Big Lots if you have one around. Happened to pick that one up tonight as I was bored and stopped by to see what might be there for craft stuff. Was $18.

Are you at the secondary level?
Doodlecharms is a good all around one.
50 States is handy
I could see older kids liking the CarDecal ones
PaperDoll Dress Up / Everyday Paperdolls -> if you get a 24" long mat, you can make big people. Great for bulletin boards.

If you go here: http://www.cricut.com/in...n/cartridge_library.aspx

you can see most of the handbooks. They haven't kept it updated with all the new ones. If there's one not there that you want to see, try PMing me as I might have it due to someone else scanning it.

Due to Cricut Craft Room, I wouldn't buy a cartridge that has been linked to a Gypsy. Odds are you won't be able to use it through CCR. You can use the physical cartridge, but it will always be hooked to whatever Gypsy it's been hooked to. It won't transfer.

HTH
:)Khrista

Edited by user Friday, January 13, 2012 9:55:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Vinyl Couture - Patterned Crafting Vinyl Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:24:49 PM(UTC)
Vinyl Couture - Patterned Crafting Vinyl

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Try using "Patterned Vinyl" with your Cricut as well....can make great decor for classroom!
dansgg Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:02:40 AM(UTC)
dansgg

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 228 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vinyl Couture - Patterned Crafting Vinyl Go to Quoted Post
Try using "Patterned Vinyl" with your Cricut as well....can make great decor for classroom!

OMG patterned vinyl???!!! Never even knew/thought of such a thing, but I do love vinyl.

Wendy I check out your blog all the time. The kids in your classroom are so lucky to have you.
 1 user thanked dansgg for this useful post.
GypsyBoricua Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:06:16 PM(UTC)
GypsyBoricua

Was thanked: 760 time(s) in 408 post(s)
I'm not a teacher, but an after-school program instructor using art grades 3-5. The carts I use:

Destinations
My World
50 States
Learning Curve
Vinyl Couture - Patterned Crafting Vinyl Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 2:20:16 PM(UTC)
Vinyl Couture - Patterned Crafting Vinyl

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dansgg Go to Quoted Post
OMG patterned vinyl???!!! Never even knew/thought of such a thing, but I do love vinyl.

Wendy I check out your blog all the time. The kids in your classroom are so lucky to have you.

We have many patterns and colors available on our website: www.vinylcouture.com
and love new Facebook Fans:
www.facebook.com/vinylcouture
cricutinkansas Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 5:06:58 PM(UTC)
cricutinkansas

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I use my cricut for titles/ labels so I think nice fonts are a necessity. I like the font on Birthday Bash and some on the Martha Stewart cartridges (they say they are cake cartridges but you can use any machine).
SKBacher Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2012 12:00:03 PM(UTC)
SKBacher

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

I love my vinyl. I did a "rainbow of skittles" in my reading center using the different colors of vinyl. Just wrote a small "s" on all of them using a white paint pen. Came out really cute.
SandyAlligood Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 1:50:58 PM(UTC)
SandyAlligood

I'm not a teacher, but Grandmother to 4 children... There has been a lot of useful information here...Thank each and everyone for your wonderful suggestions!