Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

canyonjoy Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:58:58 AM(UTC)
canyonjoy

Groups: Registered

I got my Expression for Christmas and hadn't used it all that much when I decided to attend a class on using it at a lss last month. The instructor was very knowledgeable and super hyped on all the the Expression could do, and I immediately came home and reset all my settings to those she suggested: max on everything (blade: 6, pressure: highest, etc.) My first piece, oddly enough, didn't cut at all--it just skimmed the surface. Since then, I've been playing with the settings and I'm still not cutting cardstock all the way through. I'm sitting here with my Xacto knife, cutting around each letter to get it to "release." This is not what I wanted to do or I wouldn't have gotten the machine to begin with. Since this site doesn't seem to have a troubleshooting section, I thought I'd come here in hopes of finding someone else who has stumbled across this problem and found a way to fix it. TIA
CanadianRose Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:11:25 PM(UTC)
CanadianRose

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 899 time(s) in 477 post(s)
Is your blade in correctly? Try taking it out and re-inserting it. It might be sitting too high. I don't think it is a good idea to have your settings on max all the time. If your paper is thinner, it will tear. Too thick, and you will need the deep cut blade.
Scraptastic Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:47:21 PM(UTC)
Scraptastic

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I agree with the blade being the problem. When I first got a cricut I was very unhappy and about ready to toss it out the window, then I found the old site and after lurking for about a week I decided to ask. EVERYONE said it was the blade. I took the blade out and put it back in ( used a youtube vid to see if I was doing it right)
Yep I wasn't putting it in all the way.
Good luck
GrammySue Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:10:56 PM(UTC)
GrammySue

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 100 post(s)
canyonjoy wrote:
I got my Expression for Christmas and hadn't used it all that much when I decided to attend a class on using it at a lss last month. The instructor was very knowledgeable and super hyped on all the the Expression could do, and I immediately came home and reset all my settings to those she suggested: max on everything (blade: 6, pressure: highest, etc.) My first piece, oddly enough, didn't cut at all--it just skimmed the surface. Since then, I've been playing with the settings and I'm still not cutting cardstock all the way through. I'm sitting here with my Xacto knife, cutting around each letter to get it to "release." This is not what I wanted to do or I wouldn't have gotten the machine to begin with. Since this site doesn't seem to have a troubleshooting section, I thought I'd come here in hopes of finding someone else who has stumbled across this problem and found a way to fix it. TIA

Paper gets around the blade sometimes. That will keep it from cutting deep enough and it will tear the paper. Check the blade often. You do have to change the settings on the blade and pressure depending on how think the paper or cardstock is.
KDG Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:47:19 PM(UTC)
KDG

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 9 post(s)
most often my settings are:

blade: 4
pressure: 3
speed: 3
cut: 2x

I have yet to have a problem. Above Rubie's Studio blog has some great info and also a paper cutting guide that is available! She is a great resource!

1 user thanked KDG for this useful post.
kiana.kyan's mom on 9/29/2010(UTC)
SueW1 Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 5:47:12 AM(UTC)
SueW1

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I wonder if your blade housing is not in correctly. Experience from me. The first time I put a new blade in, I put the blade housing in wrong. I had it tightened too high. Confused. Hope you get it figured out as once you do, you will love your e.

Check out different blogs and utubes to help...

And you do need to change the blade settings depending on what you are cutting. But for scrapbook cardstock (not real heavy), I set blade at 4, and others at med or 3.

Hope this helps and Have Fun.

PeaceLoveMommy Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 8:27:27 AM(UTC)
PeaceLoveMommy

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I adjust my settings all the time. I don't agree on 6 all the time because if your using a thinner sheet of paper it definitely will tear.

I agree with what everyone said above. check the blade housing, maybe get a new blade, and don't set it on 6 and max all the time!

Good Luck!
juicyfruities Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:40:15 AM(UTC)
juicyfruities

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have been watching all the youtube tutorials and just watch. Then take notes I think there is a person that has a guide you can print and put right on your machine that has different materials and what each setting should be. Good Luck! I am changing my blade for the first time.
canyonjoy Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:42:05 AM(UTC)
canyonjoy

Thanks for all the advice. I couldn't imagine why my blade would have been out of whack since it worked fine before I adjusted the settings, but I too it out and put it back in...just in case. I haven't had a chance to use the machine yet, but hope to this week and will see then if everything is back to normal. You all are a great resource!
JenniferDecuir Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:18:58 PM(UTC)
JenniferDecuir

The chart is on HappyHappyJoyJoy's blog which is obsessedwithscrapbooking.com Under 'Cricut Basics' is 'cutting guide'. You can print it out and tape to your machine. This is great because she has it broken down by which material you are cutting. Hope this helps.
BirdsofaFeather Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:34:31 PM(UTC)
BirdsofaFeather

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 12 post(s)
This might sound silly but when I first took my blade housing out and put it back in, I put it in wrong. Make sure the black dot is facing straight out, but most important make sure that the green housing where the arms hug around it is on the top notch and the blade is close to the mat. I had put it on the bottom notch and the blade barely touched the mat.

I hope this makes sence
PattiCarnelos Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:15:04 AM(UTC)
PattiCarnelos

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 26 post(s)
GrammySue wrote:
Paper gets around the blade sometimes. That will keep it from cutting deep enough and it will tear the paper. Check the blade often. You do have to change the settings on the blade and pressure depending on how think the paper or cardstock is.

This has happen plenty of times for me.. Try checking out your blade. You might even need to replace your blade too.

Good Luck

Patti
kiana.kyan's mom Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:25:01 PM(UTC)
kiana.kyan's mom

KDG wrote:
most often my settings are:

blade: 4
pressure: 3
speed: 3

I have yet to have a problem. Above Rubie's Studio blog has some great info and also a paper cutting guide that is available! She is a great resource!

will it go over the cut twice? didnt know it has that option....excited to try that.