Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

jscraftylady Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:46:25 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 2309 time(s) in 1242 post(s)
So I call Customer Service to see what can be done for my Gypsy that has a broken USB port, and the answer I get is NOTHING. NOTHING! It is 18 months old, out of warranty (barely), so no replacement. And I am informed that there is no Cricut repair shop. The USB port on my Expression is also shot so no fixing it, either. If there is no Cricut repair shop, then where do refurbished Cricuts come from?

This is ridiculous! I am definitely not replacing my Gypsy. I know issues with the USB port are common and I don't feel like replacing it every couple years if I am unlucky enough to have it break after 12 months instead of before.
GracefulGrammar Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:21:26 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1902 time(s) in 912 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
So I call Customer Service to see what can be done for my Gypsy that has a broken USB port, and the answer I get is NOTHING. NOTHING! It is 18 months old, out of warranty (barely), so no replacement. And I am informed that there is no Cricut repair shop. The USB port on my Expression is also shot so no fixing it, either. If there is no Cricut repair shop, then where do refurbished Cricuts come from?

This is ridiculous! I am definitely not replacing my Gypsy. I know issues with the USB port are common and I don't feel like replacing it every couple years if I am unlucky enough to have it break after 12 months instead of before.

PC is doing you a favor............ with minimum bench time for tech items being at least $65+ an hour and higher in many places.........(here it starts at $95) when you take into consideration the cost of shipping both ways and the cost of repair, you are much better off buying a new gypsy/cutter with a new warranty.

My question is now that you no longer have a working gypsy and no plans to replace your gypsy (I wouldn't either, the technology is 3 years old) can you send you old gypsy in as proof that you will no longer be using it and terminate your agreement and get your carts unlinked? I feel it's unfair for a company to ask you to invest in 3 year old computer technology. 3 years a long long time in computer years.

Edited by user Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:24:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 2/4/2013(UTC)
Princessaam Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:26:20 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Totally agree. There HAS to be something they can do to make your carts NOT linked to a broken piece of machinery. I would press them to do something for you.

~M
jscraftylady Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:29:27 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: GracefulGrammar Go to Quoted Post
PC is doing you a favor............ with minimum bench time for tech items being at least $65+ an hour and higher in many places.........(here it starts at $95) when you take into consideration the cost of shipping both ways and the cost of repair, you are much better off buying a new gypsy/cutter with a new warranty.

My question is now that you no longer have a working gypsy and no plans to replace your gypsy (I wouldn't either, the technology is 3 years old) can you send you old gypsy in as proof that you will no longer be using it and terminate your agreement and get your carts unlinked? I feel it's unfair for a company to ask you to invest in 3 year old computer technology. 3 years a long long time in computer years.

All I need is the case opened and the USB port reattached. Apple techs have done it right in front of me on my laptop for a minimal fee. I think i might take it to a friend of mine. Can't hurt now? It's worthless if I can't cut from it.

Honestly, I don't care. If I want to sell my carts, I'll sell them. I'd be happy to sell my broken Gypsy with them to anyone who wanted a broken Gypsy.
GracefulGrammar Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:37:02 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1902 time(s) in 912 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
All I need is the case opened and the USB port reattached. Apple techs have done it right in front of me on my laptop for a minimal fee. I think i might take it to a friend of mine. Can't hurt now? It's worthless if I can't cut from it.

Honestly, I don't care. If I want to sell my carts, I'll sell them. I'd be happy to sell my broken Gypsy with them to anyone who wanted a broken Gypsy.

Sure have a friend give it a try......... you also might call a local PC repair shop.......... some people have also had success at a sewing machine repair shop.......
jscraftylady Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:40:08 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: GracefulGrammar Go to Quoted Post
Sure have a friend give it a try......... you also might call a local PC repair shop.......... some people have also had success at a sewing machine repair shop.......

He has actually repaired my sewing machine several times.BigGrin Many times fixing my USB port in my laptop was just a matter of a quick rewire and solder in place.
Daycarelady9294 Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:13:19 AM(UTC)
Daycarelady9294

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
My DH fixed the plug in port on a laptop once...I also had an expressions I got off Ebay that they said did not work....well, it didn't but all my DH did was take it apart and connect a toggle switch to the part that the power button "connects" to and put the toggle switch on the side of the machine......WORKS PERFECT....lol...I paid $25 for it....he is so handy
Cynthia V Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:19:24 AM(UTC)
Cynthia V

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 57 post(s)
You could probably call PC again. You'll most likely get a different rep and he might be willing to work with you even though your warranty has expired. I've read of some ladies having luck getting their G replaced like that.

Cynthia
KayMc Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:24:01 AM(UTC)
KayMc

Was thanked: 282 time(s) in 178 post(s)
Welcome to PC products.
 2 users thanked KayMc for this useful post.
JanieW on 1/31/2013(UTC), BJR on 2/3/2013(UTC)
Dana Tarchala Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:29:36 AM(UTC)
Dana Tarchala

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1083 time(s) in 513 post(s)
I just sent my Gypsy in last week to have it replaced because the usb thingy came apart inside the machine. I'm suppose to get a new one sent back to me this week.... Now I want to call and make sure.
Kut-n-Print Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:56:51 AM(UTC)
Kut-n-Print

Was thanked: 904 time(s) in 437 post(s)
This page has some info on DIY repairs
http://atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Cricut_Repairs#
 1 user thanked Kut-n-Print for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/1/2013(UTC)
jscraftylady Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:35:22 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: Dana Tarchala Go to Quoted Post
I just sent my Gypsy in last week to have it replaced because the usb thingy came apart inside the machine. I'm suppose to get a new one sent back to me this week.... Now I want to call and make sure.

Was yours less than a year old? They would not replace mine because it was more than a year old (18 months). I'm not really upset about that. I don't like that they don't do even simple repairs for a fee on their own products. When you consider that my only other option is to buy a new Gypsy, send it in to Provocraft, get them to reserialize the new one so it matches my old one and then relink all my 200+ carts (if they don't, which many have said they didn't), I would be willing to pay a fair amount to just have this one fixed.
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 2/1/2013(UTC)
Tina Sue Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:44:59 AM(UTC)
Tina Sue

United States

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I have a friend that works on consoles and phone. He keeps telling me that when one of my cricut machines break (which I have 8....long story), he wants to dig around in them and try to fix it. He might be on to something.

Tina Sue
CynthiaReed2 Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:01:18 PM(UTC)
CynthiaReed2

My husband bought me a Cricut Expression 2, new in the box, never opened. The guy sold it to us had won it in a raffle had no use for it and posted it on Craigslist. I noticed the other day when it kept giving me a "not connected" error. I checked the usb connection on the back of the machine, it has a different usb that has 4 posts that it plugs into it and two of the posts were bent up and were smaller than the other two. I called PC and because I purchased it off Craigslist it is considered a third party sale even though the box had not been opened. They refused to warranty it. I am hoping the place I take my laptop for repairs will be able to replace that connection otherwise I may glue the cable onto the connection. I would not have even purchased it if it had been used and then expected a warranty. It really is not fair that they do not warranty their machines unless you purchase it from them or their authorized retailer. You can bet the next time I purchase something like this it will be a Silhouette Cameo. They do lots more anyway.

Edited by user Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:03:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: sentence did not make sense

JanisD Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:12:57 PM(UTC)
JanisD

United States

Was thanked: 1311 time(s) in 1006 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CynthiaReed2 Go to Quoted Post
My husband bought me a Cricut Expression 2, new in the box, never opened. The guy sold it to us had won it in a raffle had no use for it and posted it on Craigslist. I noticed the other day when it kept giving me a "not connected" error. I checked the usb connection on the back of the machine, it has a different usb that has 4 posts that it plugs into it and two of the posts were bent up and were smaller than the other two. I called PC and because I purchased it off Craigslist it is considered a third party sale even though the box had not been opened. They refused to warranty it. I am hoping the place I take my laptop for repairs will be able to replace that connection otherwise I may glue the cable onto the connection. I would not have even purchased it if it had been used and then expected a warranty. It really is not fair that they do not warranty their machines unless you purchase it from them or their authorized retailer. You can bet the next time I purchase something like this it will be a Silhouette Cameo. They do lots more anyway.

Cynthia,

This is a message board for Cricut users to talk back & forth & get info & have fun....I doubt that Provo Craft people will see your post here. Sadly, you bought a second hand Cricut & how can you expect it to be under warranty? Do you have any info or receipt for it at all?
I am sorry this happened to you but personally if I purchased something & didn't have a receipt, I wouldn't think the company that produced it would go good for it if it had any problems.
I don't think you should bash Provo Craft, when you bought it knowing it was a risk...

Janis
blondolphn Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:15:10 PM(UTC)
blondolphn

United States

Was thanked: 5291 time(s) in 956 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CynthiaReed2 Go to Quoted Post

A lot of companies won't do warranties on merchandise that didn't come from an authorized dealer. The reason being is there are a lot of counterfeits so the company can't then guarantee it is a real product. I sell a lot of name brand clothing and have had numerous customers come in with what they thought was a brand name piece of clothing that they got a good deal from on ebay and then had to tell them that their lovely coat was a counterfeit and I couldn't send it in for them. Now, could an expression be counterfeit? probably not, but more than likely they are covering their bases in case someone breaks something, then passes it on to someone else, and then cover it under warranty. I am sorry you got one that was a lemon. My Mom recently won a kindle from an auction at work. She wondered why she couldn't link her information. Turns out, the kindle was still authorized on someone else's account! Whoops. And it was supposed to have been brand new...
Ang Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 3:06:26 PM(UTC)
Ang

Was thanked: 237 time(s) in 164 post(s)
If PC arent interested in repairing their own products, then perhaps someone out there may find a niche market if they have the sort of skills needed!
Afterall, what have you got to loose - no warrenty if its over 12 months old, some machines are already no longer available anyway so you couldnt replace if you wanted to!
MelindaRapacz Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 6:56:34 PM(UTC)
MelindaRapacz

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 3 post(s)
PC would probably sue them for working on their machines!Crying
ScrapyPiggy Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:46:08 PM(UTC)
ScrapyPiggy

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 182 post(s)
There is a shop that someone from the board took their gypsy to to have the screen fixed. It worked for her since they have already worked on a gypsy you might want to give them a call to see if they could fix the USB port also.

Slidewire Electronics
(402) 423-8555
slidewirelectronics.com
6041 Cornhusker Hwy,
Lincoln, NE 68507

BJR Offline
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:52:57 AM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
By the way I have suggested this one for awhile to PC, it would be a very good way to promote goodwill and repeat business for them to stand behind and help with repairs, because they must do some to sell refurbished ones. BJR.
jscraftylady Offline
#21 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:06:50 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: BJR Go to Quoted Post
By the way I have suggested this one for awhile to PC, it would be a very good way to promote goodwill and repeat business for them to stand behind and help with repairs, because they must do some to sell refurbished ones. BJR.

My point exactly! They obviously do repairs on machines or contract with someone who does repairs. Provocraft, through their eBay seller, sells tons of what they call "manufacturer refurbished" machines.