Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
CardsForSoldiers Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:50:10 AM(UTC)
CardsForSoldiers

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Mother’s Day
&
General Use
Now through April 13

We are going to take another 3 weeks or so and work on Mother’s Day and more all occasion cards.
Lets use some more of that never ending stash. Where does it all come from? Seems like the more we use, the more we accumulate.
These are the themes most requested by the troops. Birthday, Anniversary and Thinking of You cards for children, spouses and sweethearts

If you have questions about shipping, it is best to direct it to your shipper by pm. If you just need the address you can request that info on the thread. Several of the regulars are able to answer that and other general questions, sometimes faster.
East coast .. imnchghere (Pat)
West coast & Mountain … Phyllis
Central… RGK (Renate)

PLEASE keep the embellishments limited. If it makes a lump in the envelope it is too thick. Layers are ok, but use the thinner pop dots and try to keep it to one. Also watch the sizes of buttons and brads. Skittles are discouraged and NO glitter. Stickles and other glitter glues are ok.

* * * * For those of you who are new, let me explain how this works.

We have heard from spouses and family members of our deployed soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen, how much they enjoy getting a nice card in the mail. Since there is no card shop in the neighborhood shopping center, we are the next best thing. We have been told the PX/BX/NEX run out of cards quickly and that having nice cards to send home to family is a great moral booster.

Make cards in any way that you want. All different, all the same, or a mix of both. Just leave the inside blank to give the soldiers room to write home in and include envelopes. NO stamp necessary, (soldiers get free mail when deployed.)
A2 size cards are the most efficient to package up and ship (300+ will fit in a box), however all sizes are fine and appreciated. Do what you are comfortable with and again have fun. Try not to have thick embellishments and glitter is discouraged for the safety of the troops. We are told it can get on their clothing and be seen with night vision goggles.

***NOTE there is a FAQ thread with answers in this forum. Please refer to it if you have any questions.

When you sign up you will sign up for how many you want to do 15,30,45,100. whatever # works for you. You will also tell us what time zone you are in. The time zone will tell us to whom you will ship your cards to when you are finished.

That shipper will then compile all the cards and send them to units on the ground in Iraq, Afghanistan, or other bases. Each time zone has at least 2 or 3 units (a unit is 120-160 soldiers) to ship to.

Shipping is an expense to us that all the shippers have taken on out of their own pocket. However if you want to donate a dollar or two for shipping expense overseas then we welcome that. All money donated goes to pay for shipping to the units. YOU DO NOT have to donate any money to participate in this project.

If you have any qualms or questions about what we are doing with Cards for Soldiers, please ask in the thread. There are several great ladies that help keep this going and are always around.

Thank you for joining us and for standing behind our troops.
~~ pat (imnchghere)

Edited by user Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:52:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CardsForSoldiers Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:51:32 AM(UTC)
CardsForSoldiers

tally page

EAST

Dobson, 20
Kristine Auders, 50
NatesMimi, 110
craftymem, 29
NanaNina, 34
Victoria Fligstein, 86

TOTAL EAST: 329

CENTRAL

RGK, 40
Housefullofrotties, 50
MelissaHouse1, 12
Katie1969, 15
Alingra, 230

TOTAL CENTRAL: 347

WEST/MOUNTAIN

Larkspur, 36
Craftyboo-boo, 30
Phyllis, 50
ScrapNStamp, 50
shoz4me, 50
MommaJ, 127
dml, 39

TOTAL WEST/MOUNTAIN: 382

TOTAL ALL: 1058

Edited by user Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:42:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dbson Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:42:18 AM(UTC)
Dbson

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 52 post(s)
I am in for 20 this time......east....
Deb
Godot's Girl Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:27:03 PM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #387; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2982 time(s) in 1792 post(s)
Posting this throughout this MB in hopes someone can answer....need info. soon:

Hello! I am new and want to get involved in the card making for soldiers. I am not ready to get rolling yet, but was looking for some information. I live in Central Ohio. I was in my local HallMark and asked about a donation on the off chance this was possible. The sales person said HallMark's policy is to destroy cards after the holiday has passed that they are for, and they do not donate them! Imagine all those wonderful cards and envelopes just going to waste! However, that particular store does hold on to envelopes, as people seem to take them quite a bit. She said it might be possible to get some envelopes, if I were to write a letter with the information and contact people and such addressed to their manager. This may still be a long shot, but I thought the envelopes might help with the card crafting, and am certainly willing to do the leg work on this. Can someone please give me, or direct me, to the information needed....the name of the group, where and how cards are sent, who receives them, who is involved, etc.? I hope I have not over stepped in some way here, I figured it never hurts to ask. Thank you... And blessings to all of you who take the time to do this. I personally send cards to my cousin and some of his fellow soldiers to send to their families, and this helps them to stay connected. They always are so grateful, and I say it is the very least I can do for those who protect our freedom and the very lives of we and our children.
Phyllis Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:20:40 PM(UTC)
Phyllis

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Gadot 's Girl, as one of the shippers (see the shippers in the first post), I will try and answer your questions. This group has shippers for each time zone according to which time zone you live in, that is where you would send your cards. Each shipper has units to which they gather all the cards and forward on to the soldiers. Post on the theme thread how many you want to contribute and what time zone you are in and one of the shippers will PM you with their address.

I personally order my envelopes in bulk from the envelope store on line (don't have the link handy). If you can get envelopes from the Hallmark store, that would certainly help you. It is a shame they destroy those cards.

Hope I have covered your questions, if not, let us know. Look forward to having you join us.
 1 user thanked Phyllis for this useful post.
Godot's Girl on 3/14/2012(UTC)
Godot's Girl Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:08:57 AM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

United States

Thanks for the answers. I need to write a letter to the manager of the store with the information requested regarding this group....I didn't know if you already had something available when asking for donations or if I should just do one myself. Also, I did not know if this was an official charity or a group of wonderful people doing what they can at the grass roots level.
imnchghere Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:24:19 AM(UTC)
imnchghere

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 77 post(s)
godotsgirl,
Just to follow up on Phyllis' reply. The ladies who make the cards for this group supply their own envelopes. Most of them make the A2 size card, which is the most efficient to package into the boxes. This group has been sending cards for about 6 yrs now. It was started by an army wife, who was also in the army.
We have had had people donate envelopes and even commercial cards over the years, ad they are always appreciated.
We look forward to having you join us when you are ready. Our themes run about every 3 weeks, but that can vary. There is a Q&A post in this forum which might also answer other questions you may have.
~pat
Godot's Girl Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:53:48 AM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

United States

Thanks so much, I guess I kind of ran with something without checking every thing first. I may still see if I can get the envelopes donated...I was not planning on using them myself, but sending them along to the appropriate party.
RGK Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:59:15 PM(UTC)
RGK

United States

I had a bunch of envelopes given to me. They are the bigger size which I don't use. I think they came from one of the card stores too. One of the ladies mails the bigger cards to me and I will ask her if she could use some of these envelopes next time she sends cards. Also, I will mail some of these envelopes in my next shipment to my unit, along with some notepads. They can probably use them to mail letters home. I agree, it's a shame the beautiful cards are thrown out.
Renate
RGK Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:00:57 PM(UTC)
RGK

United States

Phyllis, please put me down for the 30 cards that I already started. If I make more I will let you know. Thank you.
Renate
cakelady1965 Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:17:35 PM(UTC)
cakelady1965

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Crying Unfortunately, it is true about Hallmark destroying cards...I used to work at one....and YES, we did have to destroy them. We would save the envies, but we were watched to make sure that the cards were destroyed. It made me sick. Such a waste! :(
Godot's Girl Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 12:43:43 PM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

United States

Thanks for confirming this for me. There are so many organizations that Hallmark could donate those cards to, and it just amazes me that they do not. It would take nothing for them to do so, and would mean so much to whomever received them, despite having to wait until the following year to use the holiday themed cards. Hallmark could donate to one or all on a rotating basis. I would think this would be a tax write off and can only imagine they somehow save money in destroying them??? or why else would they do so. I have written a letter to the manager, and am taking it to the store on Monday (the suggested day). If I actually do receive envelopes, I will pass them along to the shipper from my area with postage to send on to whomever that person feels is appropriate. I am still recovering from a bout with a chronic condition I have, and am not ready to jump into crafting just yet, as I do not have much control over my shaky hands. I am, however, looking forward to making cards for this wonderful group. Blessings to all of you.
Larkspur Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 2:18:16 PM(UTC)
Larkspur

United States

Was thanked: 2457 time(s) in 1718 post(s)
I'm in for 20 again (maybe more).

Wendy from Wyoming
KristineAuders Offline
#14 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:48:09 PM(UTC)
KristineAuders

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Eastern, I'm in for at least 50. godot's girl has me thinking. I'm going to stop by the hallmark store and see what's what with this particular store!
Craftyboo-boo Offline
#15 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:15:24 PM(UTC)
Craftyboo-boo

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hello Cricut friends,
I would love to participate. Put me down for 30. It's my first time I live in California.
To whom should i mail them when I complete my 30 cards? also if I want to make a donation for shipping to whom do i send the donation?
Thanks in advance for replying.
Jane
RGK Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 12:45:12 PM(UTC)
RGK

United States

Phyllis,
instead of putting me down for 30 cards make it 40 please.
thanx, Renate
Phyllis Offline
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:36:31 PM(UTC)
Phyllis

Originally Posted by: Craftyboo-boo Go to Quoted Post
Hello Cricut friends,
I would love to participate. Put me down for 30. It's my first time I live in California.
To whom should i mail them when I complete my 30 cards? also if I want to make a donation for shipping to whom do i send the donation?
Thanks in advance for replying.
Jane

Jane, I am your shipper, I will PM you my address. Thanks so much for your contribution.
CardsForSoldiers Offline
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:55:05 PM(UTC)
CardsForSoldiers

Tally is updated.
ScrapNStamp Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:47:09 AM(UTC)
ScrapNStamp

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hello everyone. It has been a long time since I have been able to come around. My craft room was lonely for about a year while life happened. I have been back in my craft room and playing so I have 50 that I can send. Most of them are just all occasion and thinking of you but I will put some Mothers Day ones in there too since it gives me a chance to color. :) I am Mountain and do not know who I ship to anymore so if you could let me know, I would appreciate it. BigGrin
imnchghere Offline
#20 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 8:15:48 AM(UTC)
imnchghere

Originally Posted by: ScrapNStamp Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone. It has been a long time since I have been able to come around. My craft room was lonely for about a year while life happened. I have been back in my craft room and playing so I have 50 that I can send. Most of them are just all occasion and thinking of you but I will put some Mothers Day ones in there too since it gives me a chance to color. :) I am Mountain and do not know who I ship to anymore so if you could let me know, I would appreciate it. BigGrin

Welcome back.. you will be shipping to Phyllis now and we will get you her address asap.
Phyllis Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:10:17 PM(UTC)
Phyllis

I PM'd my address to you. So glad you could join us and you're able to get back in your scrap room.
housefullofrotties Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:10:29 PM(UTC)
housefullofrotties

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Hi~
I mailed 50 general use cards, that a friend made, to Renate (central) today.
Thanks,
Jess
RGK Offline
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:22:31 PM(UTC)
RGK

United States

Originally Posted by: housefullofrotties Go to Quoted Post
Hi~
Thanks,
Jess

Thanx Jess, I will look for the cards in a few days.
Renate
RGK Offline
#24 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:59:09 PM(UTC)
RGK

United States

Originally Posted by: housefullofrotties Go to Quoted Post
Hi~
Thanks,
Jess

Jess, your cards came today. Thank you to you and your friend! The cards are beautiful.
Renate
Dbson Offline
#25 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:19:10 AM(UTC)
Dbson

Good to see you back on Susan.......

Welcome to our new participants........glad to have you join us......

Deb
Dbson Offline
#26 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:50:41 PM(UTC)
Dbson

My simple cards for this theme....

Edited by user Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:02:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

imnchghere Offline
#27 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:28:11 PM(UTC)
imnchghere

simple but perfect Deb. Can be used for any occasion which is good. I found a small box of cards this morning that must have came too late for Father's Day last year. Guess it was good I was consolidating, because I thought that box was all Christmas.
RGK Offline
#28 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:31:16 PM(UTC)
RGK

United States

Simple card, Deb, but very nice, as always.
Renate
Phyllis Offline
#29 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:56:49 PM(UTC)
Phyllis

Deb, nice card. Thanks for sharing.
CardsForSoldiers Offline
#30 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:00:28 PM(UTC)
CardsForSoldiers

Tally is updated.