Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

mommacas Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:21:07 PM(UTC)
mommacas

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I do not own a gypsy! So, I really do not know much about them. ... Having said that, I have a question :)

I see people are selling cartridges they have linked. Is there a way to back up your gypsy? I mean what happens if the gypsy stops working and you no longer has the cartridge to use because you sold it...are you just out of luck? Seems risky!
KathyKohner Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:16:43 AM(UTC)
KathyKohner

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 23 post(s)
As I understand it, the short and long is that yes, you are out of luck. I do wonder though, if you have a working gypsy and you purchase another one,I think you could send in the new gypsy to have it reserialized to your original gypsy and then should be able to use both. You probably could only do updates for 1 of them but I just don't see how or why that wouldn't work. I for the life of me, can't understand why PC is so adamant about not having 2 gypsies. I just don't get it at all.
scrapalette Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:28:15 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18942 time(s) in 8455 post(s)
Well, when you link a cart to your gypsy, you agree (twice actually) to not sell the cart without the gypsy. Because, in essence, you have violated the copyright law if you do. You've made a digital copy (on your gypsy) of the images on the cart and then sold the cart. Very similar to buying a music CD and making copies to keep or sell or a movie on dvd and making copies to keep or sell or even xeroxing a book and selling the copies.

So yes, if you link your carts and then sell them and your gypsy breaks, you are out of luck.

However, if you keep your carts and your gypsy breaks, you can get a new one (from PC if still under warranty or purchase and send it in) and PC will reserialize the new gypsy to match the serial number of the broken gypsy and you can relink your carts.

I don't think PC cares if you have two gypsies, lots of people do. They just transfer their designs on to the one they have their carts linked to and cut from it. What they do care about is not being able to link the same cart to two gypsies.

Edited by user Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:30:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified